on the road to pick up my new v8 fiero! by Ruffy
Started on: 02-08-2011 08:48 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Ruffy on 02-09-2011 04:42 PM
Ruffy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Hello all. Well I found a v8 fiero for sale and now on my way to pick it up. Has a 93 4.9 LT auto. 95% complete. I left 8am this morning to run a 2hr drive one way. More updates to come!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post
Go Ruffy GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Pics when you return please!
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
He left at 8am for a 2 hour trip down, pick up and paper work and 2 hours back. It's now 12:36 .....and we don't have any pictures posted yet!?!?
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Lol I'm trying here. Stopped to eat. I'm typing all this from my cell. This car rocks!!!!! So far 100 miles on pretty much new car. You guys would kill me if I told you what I payed for it!!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Probably but i still wanna know. lol
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Just got home. Took it to the car wash first. It is colder then #### here. 17 degrees out,while I was washing it the water was freezing on it lol. Anyhow I don't know how to add pics with this site. Most sites have an add image button.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. send them to me and i'll post em. Future reference, bottom of the page. Image poster. download, install and follow instructions.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
email sent! thanks very much. here is some of what was done to it and the email that was sent to me.

This is an 84 Fiero that has a 4.9 cadillac v8 conversion done. The engine has been rebuilt and has 0 miles. It has been hot tanked, cylinders honed, new cam bearing, rings,main and, rod bearings, new timing chain, water pump, and all new gaskets and seals. heads were done. reman. allante gear reduction starter. new cap , rotor, high performance wires, platinum plugs. Two new oxygen sensors, reman computer. New hoses, belt, tensioner. The computer system is a ford 5.0 H O MAF EEC IV from a 1990 mustang. Runs great !!! The trans is a 4t60 from a 90 deville. new seals, two reman. drive shafts. New adjustable modulator. It has a new haden trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. The brakes had a full grandam ventilated disc conversion. All new brake lines, new blazer master cylinder. new pads, and rotors all around. reman. calipers all around. The suspension has had new ball joints in the front. One new inner tie rod in the back. the suspension bushings have been all replaced with urethane bushings. all new shocks, and struts. new stabilizer end links. Exhaust is all new 2 1/2" pipe with a thrush welded muffler. Sounds pretty mean !!! The wheels are 15x7 chevy baretta aluminum (fair condition) tires are good. Battery is relocated to front. interior is fair condition. Dash pad is near perfect. new cd player. Custom shifter. drivers seat is excellent. passenger seat has two small tears (1") each. Head liner has been recovered. Guages have been converted to white backrounds. The paint is about 2 years old, dupont base/clear.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Ruffy's...

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
there are some small things wrong with it. one is the idle is a little rough. almost like it has a 600 lift cam ( for those who know about old V8s) but it smooths out nice. the other small thing and i dont know if its just me but i thought there was going to be a ton more power. i really havent got on it being a new motor and all. ill put 500 miles on it before i really get on it and im sure it will have more power then i want. i havent even had it to the floor yet haha. i do need to put the e break put on it and dont know where to start. the guy knows his stuff on this i just have to contact him for more info. who knows i just might flip this thing to make a buck, not sure what V8 fieros sell for in this condition?

THANKS FOR POSTING THEM PICS FOR ME )))))))

[This message has been edited by Ruffy (edited 02-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
No problem.
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post
Drool....... Very nice find!!!! how much did ya pay for it???

------------------
1987 Black GT with BIG plans

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
There was one that looks identical to this one near my house. Pleasant valley NY.

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 02-08-2011).]

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
You all really want to know what I payed for a 0 miles complete fiero 4.9lt v8... I payed less for this then a trashed up stock fiero. Hell I couldn't find a Geo metro for what I payed. Ok here it is I payed 1500$ for it lol
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Ok... now i don't like you. j/k

Was it from NY or PA?
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
No pa. It was on eBay. I'm extremely surprised no one bid it up 5000$ the winning bidder actually didn't pay up and I emailed the guy and here I am now. Dam car is super clean and I feel bad for paying so less for it. See the guy was a mechanic for 26 years and had his own shop but closed doors to work other places. This was his side project but money got tight for him and sold it. I put 140 miles driving it home with NO issues at all. I find myself really lucky
BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post
Wow, talk about a once-in-a-lifetime deal! Congrats.

On another note, I've never heard of using a Ford 5.0 computer on a 4.9L. Does it shift the tranny okay
and everything? Edit: I just reread that it has a 4T60 instead of the 4T60E, the Ford computer is probably
the reason for that.

[This message has been edited by BigGuyTinyCar (edited 02-08-2011).]

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
It shifts really good. Now I did have a small issue on my last 2 miles home. It didn't seem like it wanted to shift in the final gear all the time. Plus my tachometer sucks big time. Says I'm doing 4000 rpm as I'm cruising down the highway. The motor is really doing no more then 2000rpm
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
With twice as many cylinders, of course it wants to show twice as many rpm
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Lol that's not the way it works
PFF
System Bot
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
On your e-brake. The Grand Am "upgrade" is the reason for it not being there. I don't know what to suggest. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't do that upgrade on the rear. I've always lived in states that test the e brake on safety inspections. There are other upgrades that do allow for it. Maybe someone on here will chime in with some ideas.

Nice buy though. You've got the set up I want for less than half the price.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice!

Whats up with that steering wheel? Looks like a spoke was cut out?
BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post
Here are some links that explain the tachometer calibration. Believe it or not, your car is literally still seeing your V8 as a 4-cylinder that is spinning
twice as fast. It's counting the number of spark ignitions in a given time interval and dividing by 2 (2 cylinder fires per revolution on a 4-cyl) instead of 4
(4 cyl fires per revolution on a V8).

http://www.fieros.de/en/main.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-2-037230.html
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Looks nice!

Whats up with that steering wheel? Looks like a spoke was cut out?

No, that is a steering wheel from a 3rd gen firebird/camaro I think.

About the Grand am brake upgrade, two things. One, with the front, make SURE the hubs are machined to a specific rotor, the tolerances aren't that great, so now one of my hubs is smaller then the rotor, so there is a scraping sounds coming from it, the rotor going off-center and scraping the caliper.
Two, yes if you do the rear you lose your E-brake. When I did my brake upgrade, my Fiero was an automatic at the time, so I didn't care about it. Now that I have changed my fiero over to manual, its annoying not having it.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-09-2011).]

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
The e break thing isn't so bad. The guy said there is a way to put it on. He gave me some cables with the car, I guess someone make the brackets for this swap on here?
Now can anyone help me about the idle of the car? Its brought and very few times but it does shut off. Plus the trans has a problem going into last gear. (Only 10 miles on the way home it was going into 2 to 3rd gear)I'm sure this is a 3 speed right?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

I put 140 miles driving it home with NO issues at all. I find myself really lucky

Lol You should feel lucky.. EVERY FIERO i have ever owned has had to be towed home and its usually because of some small dinky problem that i could have fixed but dident have the tools with me to do. like my most recent purchase of my 88 turbo.... The damn shifter cable broke off at the linkages... towed it home. next day took me 15 min to fix and it was out on the road... Good luck with it. looks like the both of us stepped into our 1st swap's this week .

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the V8 family

------------------

http://www.tylerstoy.com

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
First off, you can't add the e-brake if it is indeed a Grand AM brake upgrade, because you use four front calipers, no provision for it.
Second, the 4T60 is a 4-speed auto not a 3-speed. That's what the "4" stands for. If there is a cable going from the transmission to the Throttle Body, its a 4T60. If there is no cable, its the 4T60E.

Third, I what was said is true, the tachometer is reading double the RPM, which is why it says 4000 when its really 2000.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
I do believe its no E. Just a 4T60. Came out of a 90 deville. I don't know the difference?

My question is he is using a 1990. Ford mustang 5.0 HO maf eec IV computer. I know nothing about computers at all, that's why I never did a swap in my 86. It seems to work but rough idle and ever once in a while it will shut off. Is there anything I can do about this? Or any info would help
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

I do believe its no E. Just a 4T60. Came out of a 90 deville. I don't know the difference?

My question is he is using a 1990. Ford mustang 5.0 HO maf eec IV computer. I know nothing about computers at all, that's why I never did a swap in my 86. It seems to work but rough idle and ever once in a while it will shut off. Is there anything I can do about this? Or any info would help

The E means its electronically shifted, not hydraulically shifted.
I'm pretty good with wiring and ECM's, but I have NO clue about that computer, why they even used it in the first place, or anything else about Ford ECM's. However, You said MAF. That puts up red flags because the 4.9 does not have a MAF sensor, it uses a MAP sensor, which is a speed density system. If they didn't do some serious re-programming, that would cause some MAJOR running issues.
PFF
System Bot
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
How do I go about seeing if its programed right? I herd of people making the computer programming off road. I need to know what steps to take before I start buying stuff
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

How do I go about seeing if its programed right? I herd of people making the computer programming off road. I need to know what steps to take before I start buying stuff

I would contact via email Ryan Gick of Sinister Performance. www.gmtunerscom I would talk with him for further information and/or advice on this matter. He does top-notch work, and there is many members of this forum that would back that claim up.

But I suggest you get rid of that headache 84, and send it my way.
Oh, another thing that just popped into my mind. 84's are the hardest wiring wise in an engine swap because its different from the later years quite a bit, and the wiring was only designed for a L4 at that time, so some major rewiring work is required in an 84 engine swap. If you do contact someone make sure they know its an 84.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info! I'm sure there is a shop local that has a 90 5.0 computer changer thinger lol. The funny thing is it runs really good, just that dam idle gets bumpy like it has a huge cam.
As for selling it....well I just might after I get the title back to make a large profit.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there is a shop local that has a 90 5.0 computer changer thinger lol. The funny thing is it runs really good, just that dam idle gets bumpy like it has a huge cam.
As for selling it....well I just might after I get the title back to make a large profit.

I'll put it on layaway. How about monthly payments? You up for trades, like a really really nice M90 supercharger?
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
I'm not Kmart, no layaway lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock