Started on: 02-05-2011 05:13 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-06-2011 07:33 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
So, I'm tearing into the interior of my Fiero... it's totally gutted, and I'm adding Performance Sound, upgrading to power mirrors, and re-wiring the power door locks correctly... and I notice something...

I've had this car for about ~15 years now... installed power door locks way back in 1998. I also installed a nicer stereo, but at least had the common sense not to trash the factory wiring. So I'm looking at all of my handywork, and I'm literally apauled by what I did back in the day. I know that I didn't know a damn thing about cars back then, but holy crap... I've never seen such a **** -job every done before in my life... and to think it was me that did it, is down-right emberassing. Somehow... my power door locks managed to work the past 10+ years. The wiring is horrendous. It's like I used whatever I could find to wire it all together. I've counted so far, about 12 of those piggy-back clips that dig into a wiring harness so you can attach a wire onto it.

Man... I'd post a picture of the mountain of crap wires I pulled out of the car, but I'd be too emberassed. I notice however that the factory didn't do a totally awesome job either in some places. There's places that you can tell a wiring harness was SUPPOSED to go through, but they decided instead to route it another way...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like a lot of the remote starters and alarms I used to remove on trade-in cars while working for a GM dealer.. A lot of the "pros" use those squeeze-on wire taps, even for high-current remote start wires.. Also was helping a buddy with his system after he had it installed by a place that does Lamborghinis, Ferraris, etc, and was also an "installer school" featured in audio magazines back in the day.. They did a horrible job, including running speaker and power wires through holes drilled in sheet metal, with nothing covering the sharp edges. He paid $$$ for that job too. It was probably a "student" doing it, but still..

Whenever I go back to something I wired, I curse myself for the 100 feet of electrical tape I wrapped everything in. Split loom tubing apparently didn't occur to me back then! At least I'm not tapping power with speaker wires any more......
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
HAHAHA. At least you finished the job before going back and getting disgusted with your own work.... I started wiring up my 3800 swap over a year ago. Now I'm ready to jerk it all back out to start again. I got to looking at Haus of Guru's thread and noticed the amazing work his wife does and how they put new pins on the ends of the too long wires and run a new wire for any too short wires. Simply amazed... and I've got the crap I did... splice splice splice. At least I solder and heat shrink and stagger them.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Well, at least you have a chance to fix your own hackjobs. But it's even worse because you can't blame someone else. =P

------------------

url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1639319][/url]

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

N3M3S1S

3865 posts
Member since Dec 2007
Sigh, my sig was messed up. >.< This time, shall be different!

Also reminds me of something I did with my car when my horn stopped working.. Ghetto. Rigged. But now it's back working right and makes me feel much better about it. lol. And I put a "Meep Meep" horn on it. =D
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it is fun to see how your skills have developed and been refined over the years...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock