Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 340
Last post by: Charlie64 on 10-17-2011 12:49 AM
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Great looking brake setup. Wish I had those on my Fiero. They'd stop my Fiero on a dime and give you change.

Your car is coming along nicely.
Woohoo, I own a page...

[This message has been edited by IwannaIRM (edited 04-27-2011).]

IP: Logged
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Here are some of the before and after pictures.

Now these 11 1/4 rotors with the camaro/caddy calipers are respectable, but seem insufficient now.....

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

...compared to these...

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
...I came.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Oh damn! Now I am going to have to spend more money on my build... those are so bitchin'
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
I like how my center caps came out also. I'll have to make a set in red to compliment the calipers.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 04-30-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Next will be the 60mm hella lights.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 04-28-2011).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Next will be the 60mm hella lights.

actually, next are the door rebuilds

While we were waiting for the headlight buckets to arrive, we took the doors apart to replace the window felt, window motors, clean and lube the regulators, replace the dew wipes, and replace the driver's side door hinges. We are also going to attempt to polish out the scratches in the window glass.

I can't believe how fast the windows go up and down now. I have a feeling I'll be doing this on all my own Fieros.

Here are a few pics....

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Some updates on what's been happening. Team Guru has created a custom instrument panel and installed my new gauges. Since it's a black car with black interior...I opted for white face gauges with blue font.

And for night time we have this....

Watch for the dyno results coming soon!!!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Decided to make a guesstimate since you havent posted yet 315 HP 345 TQ

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Decided to make a guesstimate since you havent posted yet 315 HP 345 TQ

I didn't post anything yet because it wasn't running 100% on the dyno. The car was running lean over 4000rpms and even with playing with the tune on the dyno, nothing was helping. Either the fuel pump couldn't keep up or the MAF is going bad, but I'll be doing a proper diagnosis this weekend and hopefully I'll get it back on the dyno before it heads out to Archie next weekend.

It generated 330whp and 348 ft lbs. I expected 360whp and it should be good for it.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I didn't post anything yet because it wasn't running 100% on the dyno. The car was running lean over 4000rpms and even with playing with the tune on the dyno, nothing was helping. Either the fuel pump couldn't keep up or the MAF is going bad, but I'll be doing a proper diagnosis this weekend and hopefully I'll get it back on the dyno before it heads out to Archie next weekend.

It generated 330whp and 348 ft lbs. I expected 360whp and it should be good for it.

LQ4 MAF and Corvette Fuel Pump (ep-376)?

Was the Dyno tested with 93 octane gas, stock timing?

I did not hear any SC whine although the exhaust sounded damn good.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

LQ4 MAF and Corvette Fuel Pump (ep-376)?

Was the Dyno tested with 93 octane gas, stock timing?

I did not hear any SC whine although the exhaust sounded damn good.

It is using 93 octane. The timing is not stock. N* throttle body with LQ4 MAF, I have the correct MAF table and the car is running a 3.0" pulley. There is plenty of blower whine...lol. In the video, the exhaust overpowers it a bit

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
It's still a 200% improvement over the original swap.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

It's still a 200% improvement over the original swap.

Whatcha going to do with it @ Archie's...topChop?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by bmwguru:

The car was running lean over 4000rpms and even with playing with the tune on the dyno, nothing was helping.

Does it have any KR? I read bad reviews on the Short Stack IC, maybe that is your bottleneck? You may need to drop to a 2.8 to make the 360hp mark, but I am not sure if the SS IC can keep KR at bay at that power level?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Does it have any KR? I read bad reviews on the Short Stack IC, maybe that is your bottleneck? You may need to drop to a 2.8 to make the 360hp mark, but I am not sure if the SS IC can keep KR at bay at that power level?

Yes, I have checked for KR. It is not experiencing any. I datalogged the dyno runs as well for me to review. Like I said before, I'll be diagnosing it this weekend. The intercooler is working great....I've been playing around with the SSIC on my gold GT and I have mine cooling better than a full size IC by making some slight adjustments to the way it works. I also have a plan put together using Mercedes Benz technology to help cool the fuel and intercooler while still maintaining serious power.

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Whatcha going to do with it @ Archie's...topChop?

Widebody kit and hood. Who better to install Archie's kit than Archie?
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Having it painted locally after Archie is done with it. I'm going to add these decals.

For the front fenders...

Door jams and engine bay...

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-04-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Isn't this a wonderful sight???

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Today concludes our part of this build. Charlie is on his way to come up and test out what he paid me for. Joey will be hauling it to Archie this evening for the widebody kit.
Many pics to come.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Charlie came out to test out his finished product and was very pleased. Here are a few pics from today. I'm sure he will post up his pics and videos from the visit.

The one thing I can say that Charlie takes care of....is keeping us well hydrated in this hot weather.... He always fills the shop fridge for our after hours beverage enjoyment.

loading the trailer to take the Fiero to Archie to do the widebody....

Ryan loading the Fiero....

Guru smoking his new Boswell pipe. (I purchase a new pipe upon completion of each swap)

Joey leaving with the Fiero

And Charlie, I wish I took a pic of your smile after you took your car out for the test drive....that would have said it all. Next time you visit, we will have to endulge in some jersey burgers (pork roll on a cheeseburger)
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
It was a great visit. The brakes were SO NICE! I highly recommend this system from Westshore Fabricators. Already anxious for the next project with you guys. Ryan, I was actually able to find a place about the wheels. I'm waiting for a response. I also have an inquiry in with Erik to see if he can fabricate spacers to go from the 5x100 to 5x114.3. I was actually able to find the same wheel in 18x9.5, but with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. That's the contingency plan if I can't get the current wheels widened.

Does this mean you going to get another pipe after we do even more tweaks to my car? Can't wait for you to "dial in" more power!!!

Wish I had thought of this one!!!

The gauges came out great!!! Excellent work in the instrument panel Dave Sure is nice having WORKING gauges....

Joey, this one doesn't count yet since the car is not completely finished...lol. Thanks again for hauling it to Archie. If all goes well with Archie it should be ready for pickup by the end of the month.

Remember...I'm coming back up there after it's painted and ready to go. That will give us the chance to take pictures with the "finished" car and some video of the Team Guru cars. Not sure where I'm going to fit all the "supplies" when I come up in that car!
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Dave, Thanks for making me feel my 4pot Wilwood dynalite look inferior now...
God, I'd love these on my '86.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
The widebody will look sharp.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-11-2011).]

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, Charlie! I know just how you're feeling right now. I can tell you that a year later, it feels just a good to own a car you know was done right!

Hopefully Archie's team is quick with their work so you can get started enjoying driving this beast!

Cheers,
Rich

------------------

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I just got the call from Joey that the car is now in Archie's possession and the next phase of this build is in his hands.

Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Dave, Thanks for making me feel my 4pot Wilwood dynalite look inferior now...
God, I'd love these on my '86.

And they have such awesome stopping power!!! Contact Erik @ Westshore Fabricators. He'll take care of you.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by sabooo:

Congrats, Charlie! I know just how you're feeling right now. I can tell you that a year later, it feels just a good to own a car you know was done right!

Hopefully Archie's team is quick with their work so you can get started enjoying driving this beast!

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich. I knew Team Guru was going to make my car the way it was meant to run. Dave has more ideas in mind so those are definitely on the calendar for this year. Looking forward to comparing cars with you when this is all done. I'm still debating on what color I want to have it painted. I'm not sure about leaving it black since that is so time consuming to keep clean. Was thinking Corvette yellow or Silver.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-11-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Here's some video from my visit Friday. Sorry...I didn't take any video from my driving it, but it was still so worth it

I actually wanted to just listen to it idle...BEEFY!!!

Got Dave to "goose it" a few times...

I think Ryan really enjoyed this part! Anyone else notice Joey's socks???

Ryan showing off in his car...

I'm very happy Joey made it home safe after this long trip. She'll get to see the car before I will since she's picking it up!

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 06-12-2011).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
WideBody install day #1

We didn't take many "before" pictures. I did take a lot of "before" video but everyone already has seen the before images.

It didn't take long to start tearing it apart.

Then we started mocking the body up on the car.....

Because we are limited in time to do this build, we did some of the prep on the MadArch WideBody parts before the car got here. We did stuff like premounting the rear side marker lights & other things like that earlier.

By the end of the day, we were considering options on what to do with the nose.

Looks like the spacers (100mm x 100mm adapters) for the rear were the perfect size.

Now we're on to day #2

Archie
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I'd like to add something here.

In an effort for this Fiero community to resurrect this former FastFieros lawn decoration..... we need some minor parts.

Upon consultation & considering that the 355 nose on the car needs a bunch of work, Charlie has decided that he wants to put a stock Fiero GT nose on the car.

I have a GT nose here but we do need a few parts to mount it properly.

If you have a 22P manual you can help us out by going to page 7-6.

We are needing the following items from that page #2, #19, #11, #17 & #22.

If anyone has any of those items contact myself or Charlie.

Thanks

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Hmmmm,.....looks like you (Archie) got a couple of widebody choptops going also ?
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Don't want to get off topic, but are there any pictures of Ryan's red car floating around on here? I don't think I've seen it before
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Don't want to get off topic, but are there any pictures of Ryan's red car floating around on here? I don't think I've seen it before

I posted a video of his car earlier on this page. He's got the red Fiero. The 944 in the background is his as well.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I've found all these parts.

Archie

Originally posted by Archie:

I'd like to add something here.

In an effort for this Fiero community to resurrect this former FastFieros lawn decoration..... we need some minor parts.

Upon consultation & considering that the 355 nose on the car needs a bunch of work, Charlie has decided that he wants to put a stock Fiero GT nose on the car.

I have a GT nose here but we do need a few parts to mount it properly.

If you have a 22P manual you can help us out by going to page 7-6.

We are needing the following items from that page #2, #19, #11, #17 & #22.

If anyone has any of those items contact myself or Charlie.

Thanks

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
On day #2 Tuesday, it was all about fitting the rest of the panels.

The left side door panel was broken/damaged so we put one of my extras on it.

The hood was going to need some bodywork around the edges & had a broken area under the R. side headlight cover, so we replaced that too.

We've been working on the initial body fiting of the fender caps, door caps, rockers, front fenders & nose.

To day we should get to the point where we are fiberglassing the MadArch WideBody parts onto the car.

Archie

------------------

need someone to make me a new sig.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Day #3 & #4 Wednesday & Thursday...... It's all about attaching panels & fiberglassing

The last few days, we've been fiberglassing in the Warber hood scoop. It's nearly finished.

Initially all the door & fender caps are attached with selftapping screws.....

After getting the door & fender caps located exactly where we want them, we start getting ready to fiberglass them to the doors & rear clip.

Here the rear fender caps are fiberglassed on...

I'd like to give a shout out to PaulV..... When it was decided to remove the 355 front bumper that was on this car, I had a spare GT nose but none of the other parts needed. A simple EMail to Paul & 2 days later he has all the missing parts to me.

Mounting side marker lights is a bit more work than you might imagine. We made complete pockets to mount them into. And on the stock GT nose we laid up a couple of layers of Fuberglass on the inside of the nose to support the side marker pockets.

Work on the hood scoop is almost done.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 06-17-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Great work guys. Also, a sincere thank you to Paul V for coming thru with the parts Archie needed for my car.

Glad you're doing this Archie. I'd still be trying to figure out what panel to pull.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Looks good ! Makes me excited about mine about to be installed.

Archie since you guys are using a stock nose, what are you going to do about eliminating the arrowhead and molding on the side of the nose ?

Also does the nose need to be pulled out some to match the widebody front fender ? Seems like there is an overlap ??
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock