Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Haus of Guru: The Ultimate Car Build Off by bmwguru
Started on: 01-29-2011 11:02 AM
Replies: 340
Last post by: Charlie64 on 10-17-2011 12:49 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
What can I say. Excellent work probably says it best. After all those 3800SC swaps can an LS4 swap be next? An LS4 but it looks like a job that needs mucho fabricating and programming What disuaded me from doing one is the torque/traction control issues with the PCM I am sure that the problem has been solved by now and that we will see one done by your shop in the near future. Anyone who can swap a Volkswagen engine in a Fiero can certainly do an LS4.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I set all my rev limiters to cut the spark and not the fuel, so the engine will not go lean when it cuts in. It is also a smoother cut out than having the fuel cut first. I also am getting very skilled with the hp tuners software.....and spent the extra cash on their tuning school books...which did clear up a few things.
Dave

Oh how I ever wish that was true, but you can NOT turn spark off on a 3800 for any reason. The only thing you can do is subtract a lot of spark advance so it runs poorly (which is not that reliable in all operating systems for some reason).

I am still debating going to a MSD system ($500+) for JUST the ability to cut spark.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Oh how I ever wish that was true, but you can NOT turn spark off on a 3800 for any reason. The only thing you can do is subtract a lot of spark advance so it runs poorly (which is not that reliable in all operating systems for some reason).

I am still debating going to a MSD system ($500+) for JUST the ability to cut spark.

I'll send you a pm with my procedure and you tell me what you think. I've done it on a few of the swaps and the rev limiter doesn't throw you into the windshield anymore.
Dave
Charlie64

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
The trip out to the Haus today was great! Not only did I get to see all the progress on my car...I got the services done on my Benz while I was out for my first ride in the Ferrero since the resurrection! With stage 1 over 90% complete Team Guru is looking ahead to stage 2. All videos are available in HD. Enjoy! I know I did

This was my first time seeing the car since Joey picked it up other than pictures provided by Dave. Seeing it gave me more of an appreciation for what Team Guru did.

This took place while Dave was servicing my Benz. Definitely gets from me!

The following are "passes" to see how it sounds from a distance and as it passes by.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 03-05-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Awesome!

I just got finished watching all of your vids (Also a couple more that aren't linked here?). You're obviously a very happy dude. I look forward to seeing Stage 2!

BTW, how is my poor ugly thing, did you check it out too?

Also, you've got a PM.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 02-21-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Oh, to embed, put Youtube tags around the regular link, like this: [youtube]insert link here[/youtube]

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 02-21-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
I have the video from Dave of the "drop of the bad 3800SC swap". I'm going to have to break it down into 3 segments, but in it's entirety it's only 34 minutes....yes 34 minutes. That includes comic relief from Team Guru.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

I have the video from Dave of the "drop of the bad 3800SC swap". I'm going to have to break it down into 3 segments, but in it's entirety it's only 34 minutes....yes 34 minutes. That includes comic relief from Team Guru.

If you get that to me, I can post it in it's entirety...
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

If you get that to me, I can post it in it's entirety...

Email sent with attachment.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie64:

Email sent with attachment.

Waiting for it...
The attachment may be a bit large at 197MB, but I can set you up with an FTP site to send it to if it does not arrive.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
That car does not sound right... in a good way!
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
What muffler did you use on this swap?

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
We used a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler for a Camaro with a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlets
Dave
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Waiting for it...
The attachment may be a bit large at 197MB, but I can set you up with an FTP site to send it to if it does not arrive.

Understood. Just let me know.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
That engine/exhaust sounds great!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Any update on that 34 minute long video of us pulling the engine? I could just post it up unedited. If there is interest, I'll just post it on my Youtube.
The latest update for now is parts have been ordered for Phase II. Right now it is a race at the Haus to see if we can get Midtrbo done first.
Dave
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Video posted..

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 02-27-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
A great day for testing!!!

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Synthesis:

Video posted..

Nice. What was in the pipes? Captain Black?

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
We only smoke Boswell's blends. I smoke Christmas cookie and Ryan smokes Maple. Thanks to Charlie, we have a few more kinds of Boswell's blends to sample.

http://www.boswellpipes.com/tobaccoblends.html

That was just a quick video in our parking lot. I tuned the car this week and the fuel trims are perfect, zero KR, and the car is just so much better now. We plan to get the dyno'ed on the 18th of this month, so in the meantime we have the phase II mods to do, which are mostly chassis, headliner, parking brake, and a few other odds and ends.

Also, Charlie is selling his original aftermarket rims and tires and a set of front WCF lowering springs and rear Eibach lowering springs. I'll post them up in the Mall next week with pics and prices.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 03-05-2011).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
pm sent dave..
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Maybe i missed it, but what brakes are you running ?

Also do you still have that engine cover ? Had an idea.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-06-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Lebaron brake discs with Camaro/Caddy calipers....and no, the engine cover is no longer around.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is a little update on this build. During our testing period, I discovered the original wiring harness that was supplied with the swap wasn't meeting my standards. It kept cutting out the cam sensor signal after it would get hot. This is why I will not cut and solder my wiring harnesses. They last for a little while and then the heat gets to it and it turns into a mess.
Charles also wants his new set of gauges installed and we are waiting on the bigger brake kit to arrive that will replace the Lebaron brake setup currently on the car.
Here are a pic of the gauges.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Who's the manufacturer for the gauges?
Does he/she include the custom decals, or is that a 3rd party?
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Speedhut...
www.speedhut.com

They have Fiero logos as well as many others that you can add to your gauges, they light up just like the numbers do. There are also many other options, very cool IMO. I also have a customized set waiting to go into my Fiero.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Here are some of the items that will be added by Team Guru...

I'm confident these brakes will be able to stop my car on a pinhead...

I have some decals I'm going to put on the car as well once the widebody kit from Archie is installed and a fresh paint job.

Here's the center caps for my new wheels. Sure took some time to make these.

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
who makes those wheels by the way...
im loving them
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
The wheels are TSW Indy 500s (17x8). I got them from www.discounttiredirect.com and was very pleased with the customer support as well as tech support. They have great web specials and regularly have free shipping. They are currently running a special for $100 off and free shipping on the wheels I have making the price "out the door" $661. I called them about extra center caps after my wheels came in...explained to them what I wanted to do with the extras (hopefully the results speak for me) and they sent them to me at no charge. Currently I'm running 225/45/17s up front and 255/40/17s in the rear. I can probably go up to 265s. Since I'm looking at adding the widebody kit from Archie I'm looking at wheel spacers to still make it look right. After doing the calculations I figure the 50mm spacers from KGS Engineering (www.kgsengineering.com/p26788/vp576/1984-1988%20Pontiac%20Fiero%2050mm%20Wheel%20Spacer.html) will work and leave only half an inch since the kit widens the body 3 inches per side. The fronts should be ok the way they are.
Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post

Charlie64

396 posts
Member since Nov 2008
I forgot to add this yesterday, but here are the emblems I made a few months ago for the nose grill and rear light panel. These present a cleaner look than my first attempt (the ones currently on the car). Thanks for the inspiration Kolja (aka Yellowstone).

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 04-16-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
6-pot calipers? I'm jealous..
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

We used a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler for a Camaro with a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlets
Dave

Any particular year camaro ?

Are you guys selling the brake kit ?
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Any particular year camaro ?

Are you guys selling the brake kit ?

Sounds like it's the V8Archie big brake kit, or one very similar to it.

11.25" vented Lebaron rotors, 82'-89' Camaro front calipers (the ones for the 4 wheel disc brakes not the front disc rear drums), 80'-85' Seville rear calipers and I believe a 92'-94' Chevy 1/2 ton pickup master cylinder~

http://v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm - it's listed under 'Products' and then 'Brake conversions'

[This message has been edited by InTheLead (edited 04-18-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
It was the Archie kit. I used 92 Camaro fronts, 88 Caddy rears, and 11 1/4 Chrysler rotors.

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 04-22-2011).]

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Dave just got the calipers today. They're going to look great on the car.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
here area few more pics.....

I decided to redo the wiring harness all together. The repairs that we made to make it cleaner worked, but the hidden solder in the engine bay kept causing camshaft sensor issues. So, we start from scratch and get it right.

We also mounted the brake kit and flushed the system with the ATE Super Blue Dot 4 brake fluid.

Here are a few pics....

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Interested in seeing your mounting method for the spot calipers, and how you made the e-brake cables work with them..

I am considering spot calipers for my 86SE with the Grand Am upgrade, as I have no e-brake currently and have a manual transmission..

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
jreigner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post

Here is a little update on this build. During our testing period, I discovered the original wiring harness that was supplied with the swap wasn't meeting my standards. It kept cutting out the cam sensor signal after it would get hot. This is why I will not cut and solder my wiring harnesses. They last for a little while and then the heat gets to it and it turns into a mess.
Charles also wants his new set of gauges installed and we are waiting on the bigger brake kit to arrive that will replace the Lebaron brake setup currently on the car.
Here are a pic of the gauges.

How long have you waited to get you gauges? They told me 2 weeks till I get mine- - and they are in Utah fer cryin out loud.

Charlie64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie64Send a Private Message to Charlie64Direct Link to This Post
Mine was about two weeks. Must be the standard company line. Who are you working with?

[This message has been edited by Charlie64 (edited 04-27-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock