So I wanna meet the engineer who... by schw32m
Started on: 01-29-2011 12:54 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: mattwa on 01-30-2011 03:54 AM
schw32m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post
came up with the fool idea of putting the alternator adjusting bolt on the underside of the alternator. You would think the they would have considered the tight installation and put it on the top side where you could bloody get to it without:

A. Crawling under the car and going from underneath.
B. Trying to stuff your hand down alongside the strut tower to get a wrench on it.

GRRRRR.

Anyone got any others?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
YES! id like to skin the engineer that came up with the crazy ass wiring in the 68 corvette for the wiper door and motor! what a pain in the ass to trouble shoot and further more id like to strangle the idiots at letric limited for reproducing the harness with the wrong colors! and the moron that supplied all the vendors and tech manuals with the wrong information to boot! seems the only one with a brain is willcox corvette they have it sorted out thumbs up to them!.

fiero related hmmm id say getting the coolant tubes out from under the drivers side what a mega pain in the butt!!!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Not off the top of my head but i do have a solution for you... get a set of ratcheting box ends. You can hit that bolt with ease.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
you can just loosen the top bolt and pry it from there...thats what i did...good enough untill spring lol.
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

YES! id like to skin the engineer that came up with the crazy ass wiring in the 68 corvette for the wiper door and motor! what a pain in the ass to trouble shoot and further more id like to strangle the idiots at letric limited for reproducing the harness with the wrong colors! and the moron that supplied all the vendors and tech manuals with the wrong information to boot! seems the only one with a brain is willcox corvette they have it sorted out thumbs up to them!.

fiero related hmmm id say getting the coolant tubes out from under the drivers side what a mega pain in the butt!!!

coolant tubes come out super easy, when the front crossmember isnt there :P
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there a kit for fitting a tensioner so you don't have to adjust that stupidly positioned bolt? I think it was Dodgerunner who made them.

I'm trying to think of which particular annoyance has earned an engineer a good backhanding, but the only job I've done recently was consequently, tightening the alternator belt. And it was a real mongrel of a thing. So yep, +1 for a clap across the face for that guy.

------------------

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Or if you take the back right wheel off, its right there?
schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

Not off the top of my head but i do have a solution for you... get a set of ratcheting box ends. You can hit that bolt with ease.

Got those, ***** was getting the friggen thing on the bolt..
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

... get a set of ratcheting box ends. You can hit that bolt with ease.

Yup. These are handy. Duke alternator tensioner bolt is on top, V6 has alternator tensioner bolt on bottom.

On my V6, I pull the out fastener at the back for the rubber splash shield and push it out of the way. I can get my arm in between the tie-rod and frame. Don't even have to jack up the car to tighten the alternator bolt.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I have one of DodgeRunner's tensioner brackets. Its an easy install and totally eliminates belt squeal. Very much worth the money!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
The worst design that I have ever seen is on a Ford Expedition. You have to remove the entire dash and instruments to get to the heater core. That is an 8 hour job in the book and could easily take more time than that.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
heater core on an expidition isnt any worse than any other yukon or suburban. actually not all that bad compared to some stuff.
i do on the other hand want to know what is up with these sealed wheel bearings that come with no grease in them?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-29-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I will throw out the heater core in a Fox body mustang also. What a PITA!
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
What's wrong with getting under? Ya lazy? On the third gen Camaros, getting under is the easiest way to change the spark plugs, so no point in complaining about that. And that has to be done way more often than a stupid alternator adjuster bolt on a stupid non-V8.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I will throw out the heater core in a Fox body mustang also. What a PITA!

I second that! Fortunately, it's like a once-every-20-years thing.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yup. These are handy. Duke alternator tensioner bolt is on top, V6 has alternator tensioner bolt on bottom.

On my V6, I pull the out fastener at the back for the rubber splash shield and push it out of the way. I can get my arm in between the tie-rod and frame. Don't even have to jack up the car to tighten the alternator bolt.

I do it the same way, takes me all of 90 seconds to tighten an alternator belt. 30 seconds to position the crow bar at the top and wedge it against the dogbone then 30 seconds to get on the ground and another 30 to tighten up the bolt. I guess you could add an extra 30 seconds if you need to get under there and loosen the bolt ahead of time. For me the biggest pain in making sure the belt is on all the groves perfect.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

The worst design that I have ever seen is on a Ford Expedition. You have to remove the entire dash and instruments to get to the heater core. That is an 8 hour job in the book and could easily take more time than that.

Nelson

Dodge Dakota is the same way, it is said that the factory starts with the heater core, and builds the truck around it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock