Started on: 01-27-2011 06:21 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: jazz4cash on 01-28-2011 05:48 PM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Click Here to Email craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
How do you separate the Tail Lights? What temperature to use the oven at? What to reseal them with? Will it stink up my house? Will this same process work on the Notchback Tail Lights? I have searched for hours and came across nothing but for sale ads and Tail Light swaps but no disassembly instructionals or anything close. I am working on a "Top Secret" Product for the Fiero Community.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageClick Here to Email JimmySSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
For the love of God, don't put them in the oven!

There are tabs that run around the edges. The lenses are held on with the tabs and some black butyle. just work slowly and they will come apart easily.
jazz4cash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
I would not put them anywhere near an oven! When I did mine, I carefully pried them apart with a putty knife. There are some plastic locktabs that need to be released (gently). I used the non-hardening formula Form-a-Gasket to reseal them
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Click Here to Email craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Hmm. Feeling kind of stupid now. LOL! I could have sworn someone put them in the oven to loosen the adhesive. So you just pry up on the little tabs for the lens and it comes apart?
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageClick Here to Email JimmySSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Yes buy pry gently as those tabs are old and brittle.

And while you have them apart... http://www.fierofiberglass....Lights-n-Lenses.html

sorry for the shameless plug.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 01-27-2011).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTClick Here to Email Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
yeah... um... no oven... oven = BAD! if it's cold outside bring them inside to warm up to room temp then yes.. just some tabs, putty knife, take your time... all done.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Click Here to Email grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Hmm. Feeling kind of stupid now. LOL! I could have sworn someone put them in the oven to loosen the adhesive. So you just pry up on the little tabs for the lens and it comes apart?

Dont feel dumb! I had to do that for my VW headlights. These ones are pretty self explanatory; just be careful.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Click Here to Email craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Everyone! I appreciate the help.

JimmyS- I have thought about that kit. I need to buy a new set of lens first.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
A bit off topic for the post, but I see posts like this all the time, and don't know enough to know what is right or wrong, so I will ask

The title of this post:

"How Do You Disassemble GT Taillights"

I thought there were both fast back and notchie GT's. Isn't this the case? Not only this thread, but I see a lot of posts like this and just want to know what truly makes a Fiero a "GT". I always thought it was the fact that it has the 2.8 engine, but I think I saw somewhere that even having a 6 Cyl engine, is not enough to make it a "GT"

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Click Here to Email L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
GT is only denotation of the top model for '85-'88 years.

There are GT's in the old body style.
There are V6's that aren't GT's.

I use an oven on glass headlights all the time, but using an oven for the plastic GT lenses seems dangerous. It will help to soften up the glue, but you'll have to be very careful the plastic doesn't deform or discolor.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 01-28-2011).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleClick Here to Email KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
Yes, an oven is a very bad idea.
If you really insist on softening the black
butyl rubber I would suggest going around the edges
of the tail light assembly with a hair dryer but be careful
of applying too much heat in any one spot!

Although, your best bet is one or two plastic putty knives
or pry tools (they have mini sets of them at Harbor Freight)
and pry gently. (while pulling them apart with your hands)

Hint: Dont be in a hurry to get it apart....go slowly and methodically
and it will seperate.
Hint #2 Put down an old blanket or beach towel to avoid scratching
the outer lens.

Lastly, while you have it all apart it would be a good idea to polish both
outer lens. (both "Pon" and "Tiac")

Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 01-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
As the others said, the oven is a bad idea. Besides, a microwave or a blowtorch is much faster
jazz4cash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

A bit off topic for the post, but I see posts like this all the time, and don't know enough to know what is right or wrong, so I will ask

The title of this post:

"How Do You Disassemble GT Taillights"

I thought there were both fast back and notchie GT's. Isn't this the case? Not only this thread, but I see a lot of posts like this and just want to know what truly makes a Fiero a "GT". I always thought it was the fact that it has the 2.8 engine, but I think I saw somewhere that even having a 6 Cyl engine, is not enough to make it a "GT"

I'll try this.
GT is a factory option. '85 GT's are notchbacks. The other yrs are fastbacks. All GT's have the V6 option, but not all V6's are GT's. In a post such as this, most of us "automatically" know the question refers to "GT-specific" taillights. Usually a poster will specify '85 GT if they are referring to the notchback model. Fierolinguistics

Noone mentioned it, but I presume the notchback dis-assembly method is similar.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock