Started on: 01-27-2011 02:18 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: hairballrm on 02-02-2011 09:49 PM
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
That's always been my technique for driving in the fog. I fear two things, running into someone that I don't see soon enough or being rear ended because I slowed enough to avoid the first. What I do is wait for the first car going faster to pass, then I let him get far enough ahead so that I can just see his tail lights and keep him in view. I figure that if he hits something I'll have adequate time to avoid it. That would be me following you from as far back as possible to keep you in sight.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 01-30-2011).]

IP: Logged
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Two things

One a good pair of glasses in the fog can cut refrative light and make it much easier to see. Same can help in snow conditions like a white out.

Also there are a lot of good cops out there that will let you go even if you are wrong. Been there and done that.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

There is a difference between driving fast and driving reckless, for some people, the speed limit alone is reckless, for others, I'd trust them at twice the limit. Drive what feels safe to you and if you have to make a monthly budget that includes speeding tickets.

Originally posted by hairballrm:

Just because a roadway is posted with a speed limit does not mean the number on sign is the "safe" speed.
A policeman explained to me that posted limits are very different than what speed a roadway is engineered for.
I have received "exceeding posted maximum" as well as "unsafe speed" tickets and legally they are different.
Inclement weather is a huge factor in the basic speed law.
In reality, weather you are being safe is subjective.
Opinions will vary, yours, the police, the district attorney, and a judge.
Al these parties will have different motivating factors.
Public safety, ego, politics, and revenue generation.

Cops in MN and Wisconsin where I usualy drive don't seem to care what a driver knows is not an unsafe speed. They'll hand out tickets to a lone driver on 5 miles of straight flat road in a sunny day doing 66 in a 55. Can't just budget in speeding tickets, get about 4-5 and you lose your license. Maybe I should move

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-31-2011).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i've been let go the last 4 times i got stopped. 3 in a fiero, the last time a few nights back in my truck. they always ask if i know why i was stopped and i admit to it. they run my papers and let me go. except for this last time, when i also had to get out of the truck and be checked for weapons (yeah), i've felt pretty lucky.

there was one odd time when i got stopped and didn't know what i had done. really, no idea. the cop kept trying to get me to admit what i'd done ("come on. admit it and i'll let you go") and i had no idea what it was. i finally got frustrated and told him to give me the ticket. when he told me (couldn't make a left at the last light i went through. kinda unfamiliar part of town) i was like, "oh". got let go that time too.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

i've been let go the last 4 times i got stopped. 3 in a fiero, the last time a few nights back in my truck. they always ask if i know why i was stopped and i admit to it. they run my papers and let me go. except for this last time, when i also had to get out of the truck and be checked for weapons (yeah), i've felt pretty lucky.

there was one odd time when i got stopped and didn't know what i had done. really, no idea. the cop kept trying to get me to admit what i'd done ("come on. admit it and i'll let you go") and i had no idea what it was. i finally got frustrated and told him to give me the ticket. when he told me (couldn't make a left at the last light i went through. kinda unfamiliar part of town) i was like, "oh". got let go that time too.

No one I know has that much good luck.
You da Man!
Edited
------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-31-2011).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
just what are you implying sir

nope all men. actually i hope charm had nothing to do with it now that you put it like that.

a little sheepishness maybe, 'cause they had me each time. so no arguements, just handed them my papers and cooperated. even this last time with being asked to get out of the truck i acted a little exasperated ('cause i was), but still i did what i was told and they said because i had cooperated they'd let me go with the warning.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

just what are you implying sir

nope all men. actually i hope charm had nothing to do with it now that you put it like that.

Sorry, I was just pulling yer chain, didn't mean anything by it. Again, didn't mean to insinuate anything.

Ron
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
oh i didn't take it seriously. don't worry about it.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Philphine

6136 posts
Member since Feb 2000
sorry to bring the thread down a bit. believe me, if i put an angry smilie on anything, i'm joking. i kinda quit taking the internet serious a good while back.
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
I worked with a waitress that had the most beautiful eyes.
one time she demonstrated how she would bat her eyelashes at cops who would pull her over.
She made me melt.
She never got tickets.

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

dsnover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post

Not trying to rag on you too much, but you were OK with the bolded? As in, you were OK with being searched without 'Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion'? Maybe I'm just getting older, and tired of watching our basic rights to be 'secure in our persons and property', but hearing 'Ihre Papiere, bitte!', and then being searched, just seems a bit too much....UNLESS there was something else going on.

Seriously, I'm unsure of what my own reaction would be, but as of late, I'm pretty sure I'd state something to the effect of 'I will comply, but I do not consent'.
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i don't know, maybe i made them nervous when i went for my wallet. here's the whole story. it happened just last week

first a couple small disclosures. i'm black, been black all my life (just to keep things clear. i wasn't some other race during the other stops). that's if nothing else the main reason i try to just roll with whatever happens once i'm stopped. heard too many stories. if they want to do something crazy they'll have to make something up 'cause i'm not gonna give them a reason.

it was also after midnight. i've worked nights for about the last 12 or so years so i know at least one of the other times i was stopped after midnight also, without the getting out of the car deal.

so i ran a red light (i thought i had got by without being too late but he didn't think so). i pull to the side, turn off the engine and get my wallet out. no different from anytime i've been stopped.

so once he gets to my door the first thing he asks me is what was i going for.

"uh... my wallet, you're gonna want to see my licence ain't ya?"

my windows aren't tinted so it's not that hard to see into the truck, but i don't think i had my window down yet either. just hadn't had a chance to roll it down yet. i don't know what the deal was. i guess he got spooked for some reason 'cause he wanted me to put the wallet on the dash. i couldn't do it 'cause it's on a chain. i showed him the chain coming off my wallet and how it wouldn't reach the dash, so i let it balance on my steering wheel for a second, which i guess even he thought was redicolous 'cause he didn't say put it back down when i picked it up again.

next he asked if i had any weapons. i told him i did, if you consider a razor knife and leatherman weapons. again, these are things i've carried for years and weren't an issue on any previous stop. i just figure say i have them so if something happens no one can claim i had some weapon i didn't admit to having. by this time a second cop was shining a light in my passenger side and saying i had something on my belt, but it was the leatherman case i had just said i had.

he also asked if i had any drugs and i told him no, unless he considers cough drops drugs...

...i know. i actually do have a slightly off sence of humour and i think it maybe leaks out at the wrong times. they let the comment pass though...

from there it goes a little closer to normal. i had my insurance card out first and handed it to him, but he kind of made a small deal out of my not giving him the licence first. then he also wanted to see my registration. i've never been asked for that but luckily being a sort of new truck it's one of a very few things in the glove compartment, so i didn't have to root around much for it. truthfully, they asked me about the truck a couple times like maybe they didn't think it was mine. it is. seems like if they just run the plate it'll come back with my name.

so he tells me he's going to go run my licence and i'll need to get out of the car while he does it. what can i do? i go ahead and get out. then he wanted to look at the leatherman case so i lift my jacket and he opens it, takes the leatherman and an adjustable wrench out (it's actually an oversized case i got at harbor freight), unclips the razor knife from my pocket (it's sort of like a money clip type deal, but i use it like a regular box cutter knife at work) and puts them all back in the truck. then tells me to wait at the back of my truck.

so he's doing whatever they do while the other cop talks to me. asks where i'm coming from (work), where i'm going (home), where home is, etc. after a minute or so the first cop comes back hands me my licence. he says since i cooperated he'll just let me go with a warning.

that took much longer to write out than the incident it's self took.

but yeah, i got out of the truck. what would i have gotten out of refusing or making a big deal of it? who knows, maybe with all that i gave them the flu i was just getting over. a little instant kharma.
hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
I used to get pulled over all the time because of my long hair.
In these cases they generally wanted to search my car.

just say no

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave