How much can I expect to pay for by studebakerjim
Started on: 01-26-2011 11:46 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: darkhorizon on 01-27-2011 02:52 PM
studebakerjim

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for studebakerjimSend a Private Message to studebakerjimDirect Link to This Post
How much can I expect to pay for an engine overhaul on the Fiero V6 engine (ball park)? Gasket kit rods, bearings, push rods, engine honing and the engine assembled by a mechanic? I am looking at an '86 GT and the owner says a rod is knocking. Why did so many of these engines have problems like this? And will a overhaul with new bearings and rods eliminate this from happen in the future? Was it the quality of the parts used back in the '80's or a lubrication issue?

I am new here an thanks for viewing and your answers.

Currently drive a '87 Fiero 4 cylinder and love that darn thing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Give these guys a ring:
Marshall Engines, Inc.
404 West 8th Street
Kearney, Nebraska 68845
Sales: 1-888-236-9610
Main: 1-308-234-6788
Fax: 1-308-234-1978
engine@marshallengines.com

Riteway Auto & Small Engine
1822 Avenue A
Kearney, NE 68847-6016
Phone (308) 236-8533

Gibbon Transmissions
1016 E. 25th St.
Kearney, NE
308-233-5825
1-866-TRANNYS
Fax: 308-233-5353

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 01-26-2011).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
You would be better off buying a reman short block from a reputable place. This way, you would get some sort of warranty. Also, the cost would most likely be cheaper because you would not be paying your mechanic more in labor. Having an engine rebuilt by one single source also increases its reliability; as everything is dun under one roof (no way for them to pass-the-buck so to speak)...
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!
You can use a 3.4 out of a 90's Camaro. It'll swap right in more or less. You'll need to relocate the starter to the other side of the block and it's not that hard with this jig; http://rodneydickman.com/ca...g/index.php?cPath=34
then most of the 2.8 top end parts just swap over. Or you can ( as stated above) get a reman long block for it. Most places will not warranty it if you tell them it's for a Fiero though because of the starter relocation.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-26-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by studebakerjim:
Why did so many of these engines have problems like this? And will a overhaul with new bearings and rods eliminate this from happen in the future? Was it the quality of the parts used back in the '80's or a lubrication issue?

The answer is that yes to a degree the L44 2.8L V6 used in the Fiero had lubrication issues, primarily in the bottom end. The '85 year model engines had this problem even more. I believe the main culprit was smaller oil galleys that would feed oil around the crank. The blocks were remedied to a degree after '85 and many many 2.8L V6 Fieros have driven many miles (mine is at 280k), but persistent problems do exist with lubrication issues.

As mentioned, a good upgrade would be to swap in a 3.4L block from a Camaro/Firebird. It is essentially the same engine and most everything Fiero will work. All you would have to do that would be major work would be relocating the starter.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Another one I've seen on ebay is brand new 3.4 dohc engines. They are not the best of the 3.4 dohcs but they are only $300 the last time I saw them. You would still have to relocate the starter, and go to pull and save to get everything you need to fully dress it. But still, $300 for a brand new never installed crate engine?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by studebakerjim:

How much can I expect to pay for an engine overhaul on the Fiero V6 engine (ball park)? Gasket kit rods, bearings, push rods, engine honing and the engine assembled by a mechanic? I am looking at an '86 GT and the owner says a rod is knocking. Why did so many of these engines have problems like this? And will a overhaul with new bearings and rods eliminate this from happen in the future? Was it the quality of the parts used back in the '80's or a lubrication issue?

I am new here an thanks for viewing and your answers.

Currently drive a '87 Fiero 4 cylinder and love that darn thing.

Off topic, but:
Are you a Studebaker owner?

studebakerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for studebakerjimSend a Private Message to studebakerjimDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I do own Studebakers, I have a 1952 2R10-22 and a 1962 GT Hawk. Love them and the Fiero's.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest an engine upgrade... You can find low mile junkyard motors ( such as 3800s) for fairly cheap and the swap is easy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock