The Joel Project by johnyrottin
Started on: 01-08-2011 09:18 PM
Replies: 195
Last post by: hnthomps on 01-03-2012 07:47 PM
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
A plus for MrMike...he is awesome!!!

Edit: Page 4 "Love it"

[This message has been edited by BlackThunderGT (edited 02-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Those seats are jawdropping! Just back from DC and did a quick inventory of parts and we are getting close. I know there will be some needed here and there during the build but we will get there. The garage is closed during the weekends so I will try to leave work an hour early and go check the status. I talked with them on the phone on wednesday and the 30 minute job of plugs and wires turned out to be a few hours long. They found a broken plug which is most likely the reason for the rough running. They had a tough time getting the plugs out since they were rusted in. Guess they were part of the block at that point, or at least that is how it was described. Anyhow, a few hours later the mess was cleaned up and we had fresh plugs and wires. haven't checked in since then so we will see where they are at on Monday.
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post
The new engine vents will be on the way either Mon or Tues. Depending on how my hunt for boxes goes for the other orders I have.

Rich
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
If your keeping the 2.5 then personally i would do the head gasket, new valve seals and whatever else you can afford to replace in the head. In the long run it's worth it. I've done it to every 2.5 i can at 100,000 just because. They tend to last a lot longer. Every one i've had is up to 200,000+ and still running strong. (5 of them) Other then the blue one. it's at 135,000 and purrs.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Hell...if you have done them please come down and teach me to do them! I will put you up for as long as you need. All you have to do is make the drive!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
If i could afford the flight i would. Only takes me about 5-6 hours with nothing but hand tools while having a few beers during. I really don't drink anymore so I'm guessing around 4hrs. Much faster with air. How much pull do you have with the military? I'm right near Stewart AFB. I don't mind being cargo and I'm all for a first time skydive. I'm sure i can figure out the chute on the way down. Crash course.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
WoW! Those seats look fantastic!!! JR, is Joel in the loop on all of the work done to his car, or is it going to be a surprise at the end? We need pictures of Joel with the car as well! Great job, JR!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

WoW! Those seats look fantastic!!! JR, is Joel in the loop on all of the work done to his car, or is it going to be a surprise at the end? We need pictures of Joel with the car as well! Great job, JR!

Also i WAS kidding about jumping out of a perfectly good plane... I'm afraid of heights.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
No we have not brought Joel into the loop. The car is down at the local garage having the tougher things done. I will be checking progress on it later today (Monday). Those seats are awesome and I will be sure to make Joel understand the costs incurred by the club and teh thought behind the hearts of the folks contributing. He is a smart kid so i am sure he will get it. I will post loads of pics when we do bring him in whether that is when we give it complete or he starts helping. I won't be putting any interior parts in until we sort out the leak in the sunroof and get it painted. We will then pull teh interior out, give a complete clean/shampoo, reassemble with thoise lovely Mr Mikes seats, and ops check everything.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Pics! Pics! Pics!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
No pics for a bit as the car is not near me at this time. It is being worked on by garages that have volunteered some time. Car is up and running now and will go for clutch work. We need to evaluate what is wrong with the system. We will bleed the system and replace master cyl to see what is what and go from there. Clutch kit is 130 bucks from O'Riellys and they said they would supply it if necessary. I ordered it today so it would be there on Friday. Clutch exploration will be on Sat.

However, I did recieve two packages!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Mikes have made their stage debut and so did a set of Stu's dew Wipes!!!
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Opinion...should we use the original type 14" rims or 15" honeycomb type? We have both.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
15's! Hands down.
kellisor20

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kellisor20Send a Private Message to kellisor20Direct Link to This Post
15's absolutely.

------------------
86 2.8 gt

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Strangely it looks almost like the red Formula in the driveway with the 15s on it...
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Car seems to be running fine but the alternator is toast. On to clutch work and then brakes before we realy get to test the motor out with dialy driving duties.
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Hey John when is the next weekend you’re working on the car? I might be able to help out…well I really won’t be much help but I can provide some moral support anyway

Paul
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
You can be the official Gopher....gopher this and gopher that...LOL. The car is getting the clutch sorted this week then the brakes are next. We will get it back after that and soon will be painting. We will do some work in between.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-15-2011).]

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Well this weekend was rough...8 hours of driving an the kids lacroose team got beaten. Not just once....oh no...twice! home late last night but got to do a bit today. ORielly's donated an alternator...1 yr warranty HD one for AC. I got the time to install it with the guys there...what a PITA!!!! I know most of what I am encountering is because it was sitting for so long. Anyway, she seems to be running correctly now. we will see how it pans out when we get her driving. Next up: clutch. Also fully donated by ORielly's! Guys go buy your parts from there and tell them why. Let them know it is because they are supporting the Joel Project so heavily! On their shelf right now is: Starter, Master, slave, clutch full kit.
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scDirect Link to This Post
Hope the vents showed up.

Rich
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
They did...I assume they could be painted black, yes? Figure they would match the car. Once we get to the point of putting the attractive stuff on after paint there will be a flood of unboxing and assemmbling pics posted!

I did find a few oodball parts we will need. On the passenger side of the valvecover there is a clip that holds 3 or 4 wires. This one is broken. We will need some cruise control cables as well as they are completely missing. Also, there must be some sort of hose that goes from the air cleaner down to the exhaust...missing but the holes sure are there!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-20-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
When i was replacing the alternator I noticed the battery bolt down block and the screw were missing. Anyone have a set?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2011 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Bumping!
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
Another bump for a good cause
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys, finally time to get a bit of work done on her. The master and slave cyls were removed and new ones were placed on it. I set the battery on a slow charge last night. Double header lacrosse game today so tomorrow we will fire her up and drive her. Hopefully we have the minor stuff sorted and she will be off for brakes!

I took this wek off of work so I can get to cracking. For those who are sneding parts and haven't sent them please, please, please get them out in the mail. these few parts will make my week off less fruitfull!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 03-12-2011).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
So what your saying is we might see more pics?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Yes but they won't be groundbreaking....yet.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I am in DC and car is at Oriellys in Navarre, FL.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I am in DC and car is at Oriellys in Navarre, FL.

Yeah, I know. I thought maybe you had some pictures from that week you took off to work on it.
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Just called there and they haven't done jack!!! They are supposed to have the clutch done by the time I get back and one of the main mechanics has Wednesday off and plans on working on it. If not, when I get back Scott, myself, and Laz are going ot jump on it. Joel did get his license last month so I will need to kick it in high gear when I get back!!!!!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Home from DC finally and back to work. Spoke to the O'Riellys guys yesteday and they had the clutch master and slave replaced (finally). The battery was placed on an overnight trickle charge. Tonight on the way home from work I stopped in and got the battery installed. Took some ether to get her started but she ran strong. A slight tap upon initial startup but after she warmed smooth as butter. I drove her (for the first time!) around the parking lot and she seemed to run smooth and shifted fine into reverse, 1st, and 2nd. Braking...well...thats another story. Next stop: 98 Garage for brakes!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Also, these are the parts I know I still need and/or am waiting on their arrival:

Awaiting:
Dash end caps - Fieroguy123

Needed:
Air Cleaner Wingnut Set
Tube that goes from air cleaner down to exhaust.
Floor Mats
Paint
Painting Supplies
Radio

Would like to let you guys know that Paul Vargas sent a beauty set of tailights!!!!! Can I get an Amen????

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
What were you thinking, radio wise in this? Are you keeping stock speakers? Does it have stock speakers?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Anything will do. It has stock speakers in it right now. Not averse to keeping them although I haven't heard them yet. In fact, we are doing the outside stock colors to match the Mr Mikes seats...stock look CD player with the pigtail would be a great add! Beggars can't be choosers.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 04-13-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Tonight I took the Joel Project, under the cover of darkness, from O'Riellys to 98 Garage where the brakes are to be done. The Duke runs smooth as a kitten but it seems to idle around 2500 rpms. The alignment is also way out of whack. I will talk to the garage and get an approx timeline on the brakes. I can't wait to get all this trivial little stuff done and get to the big changes!!! I also checked all the windows and mirrors, headlights, dimmers, all work good. A few lights will be needed in the dash pod but I'll get there.

Anyone locate a stock radio laying around???

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 04-17-2011).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

The Duke runs smooth as a kitten but it seems to idle around 2500 rpms..

I learned recently that if the battery was disconnected, it may idle high until it has been driven over 35mph a few times. It has to "reset" itself. Otherwise a few seconds of 2500 rpm cold idle is normal before it drops.

You are looking for a stock Fiero radio? Or something that will play CDs?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-18-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
A stock radio will do just fine. I didn't know that about the idle...I drove it about 10 to 15 mins but all at 45 mph. Do you think I need to do more accel-decel with it?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

A stock radio will do just fine. I didn't know that about the idle...I drove it about 10 to 15 mins but all at 45 mph. Do you think I need to do more accel-decel with it?

The car I had the battery disconnected on only took two trips where it achieved greater than 35mph, then Idle was down to normal. Once its been driven around a few times if it still idles too high then I'd check into things like vacuum lines, etc. It might be too early to tell since sounds like you drove once, and if the place it is now disconnects the battery again it may be starting over.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock