Intake/Valve Cover Paint Color by wmorse
Started on: 12-29-2010 12:08 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: fieroX on 01-16-2011 12:40 AM
wmorse

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wmorseSend a Private Message to wmorseDirect Link to This Post
So I removed my valve covers and upper and middle intake off my 87 GT yesterday because the paint was chipping off and looked like crap. The car is school bus yellow (literally), so I am debating what color to paint everything. I am also painting the air filter canister and brake calipers (currently red) the same color. So the question is do I paint them red (Chrysler Red I believe is the closest) or yellow or a different color? Also, I am wondering if I can use the same paint that is on the car on these parts, would it withstand the heat? Any pictures of color-matched intakes and valve covers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I painted my calipers and intake cover black on my black formula.
I think black would pop a little with the yellow.
Yellow and red is a bit McDonaldsish for me.
Here's a pic or two of my calipers in here.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081575.html

Nice ride btw!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Silver?
I used rattle can high temp caliper paint.

Edit: Nice car. I really do like the rims with the yellow. I tried to match my intake to the paint I had already on the wheels.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-29-2010).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I know it doesn't match the yellow, I have my Blue 3.4 in my Gold Fiero.

wmorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wmorseSend a Private Message to wmorseDirect Link to This Post
I like the silver, I'm thinking black lower intake, silver upper and valve covers, with the raised parts painted either black or yellow.

Mattwa, did you move your distributor to where the battery goes? that looks alot cleaner without the plug wires running over the intake.

The can of aircraft stripper I bought yesterday is defective, so off to Walmart to return it and pick up some black and silver engine paint, and see if I can find school bus yellow spray paint.

Thanks for the input, has anyone painted their intake with non high-temp regular spray paint?
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Silver?

Edit: Nice car. I really do like the rims with the yellow. I tried to match my intake to the paint I had already on the wheels.

That looks awesome man. You got me thinking a different route on my stuff when I decide to pull mine...

BTW - Awesome car wmorse!
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
Is there an actual paint code for the valve cover/intake red?
GBglide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jackdaniels:

Is there an actual paint code for the valve cover/intake red?

I'm curious too. My intake needs to be repainted.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
There is no paint code that I am aware of.

You can use the Chrysler indusrtial red engine paint.

Here is the paint http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-DE1632/

It is just barely off from the factory color but it is as close as you can get if you paint the intake and VC the color is close enought no one will notice they are painted. Many of the people I know that have used this have had great results. In fact many of them have had pictures of their engines posted here and no one noticed a thing. I think this color would satisfy 99% of those here.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wmorse:

Mattwa, did you move your distributor to where the battery goes? that looks alot cleaner without the plug wires running over the intake.

Yep, I moved the Distributor to the other side of the block...

That is actually a 3.4 running DIS. But your right, I did move it to where the battery was.

(this is with my automatic before i swapped to my 4-speed)

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-30-2010).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Silver?

I really like the color combos you used on this engine compartment. It looks clean and classy!
PFF
System Bot
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I been trying to figure out a 3rd color to introduce into my car other than the red...

When I saw this I though classy also!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2010 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the wonderful comments. Nice to read over coffee.
wmorse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wmorseSend a Private Message to wmorseDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have one of the valve covers finished, with the other valve cover and intake half way done. First I put a few layers of glossy black engine paint On the tops of the valve covers and intake, to cover the raised parts. Then, I taped off the raised parts on the front valve cover and painted the whole cover in silver engine paint. It looks decent and I really like the color combo, but it's not perfect. Any suggestions for getting precise tape lines on the narrow raised parts and Fiero lettering?

-Will
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I have discovered the perfect match color for the valve covers and intake in powdercoat. I will strip and recoat the 3 pieces for $150+ shipping. After they are coated, I sand the raised sections to bring them back to the original look. I can finish there or clearcoat the pieces over the sanded areas to protect that from corrosion and give the red a more glossy appearance for an extra $50. PM me for details if you are interested.

my work:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock