Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Farewell IMSA (A sad 2 part picture story) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Farewell IMSA (A sad 2 part picture story) by joesfiero
Started on: 12-07-2010 11:28 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: rcp builders on 07-04-2011 07:05 PM
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Was at the junkyard today and found this gem, thought Id give you guys a final look. It has the worst body work I have ever seen, fiberglass repairs gone horribly wrong, bondo in some spots over the fiberglass, cracks everywhere. The car was once probably really cool but now its irreparable.

EVERYTHING was damaged, I dont think there was a good panel on the car except maybe the hood. Had a rear swaybar I thought about grabbing, but it was about rusted through. The car was in sad shape.

So for now, I bid you adieu IMSA, hope you had a great life.

See part 2 for another story.

-Joe

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 12-08-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Is it bad that I assumed that PK was the author when I saw Topic: Farewell IMSA (A sad 2 part picture story)?

jk Rick, we know you're keeping it.

------------------

-Aaron

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I could have been an 85 SE V6.. never know
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I woulda loved that car...if only someone could have saved it...rip fiero.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Is it bad that I assumed that PK was the author when I saw Topic: Farewell IMSA (A sad 2 part picture story)?

I have to be honest, I thought the same thing myself at first.

This is sad, it was obviously a really cool IMSA widebody in its day that someone created. Time went on and was most likely passed on to owners that didn't know how to do body work and it just went downhill from there. Since you said the rear anti-roll bar that was added was nearly rusted though, I don't even want to think what the rest of the frame was like.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Why does it have two driver side mirrors... the top one looks like some kind of "growth"
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
always do body mods in a well ventilated area....
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
whats with the driver mirror"s"?
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I think I need to remember to hit the yards... and frequent just to Look before the crusher rotation.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but check out that '91 or '92 Camaro behind it! You can turn hella profit from those 2-year-only ground effects. Those are in extreme high demand! I got $400 for the last set I had. Think how much Fiero stuff you could buy with your profit. Get the hood, too.
Also, the spindles are beefier than pre-'89, so are better choices for the 1LE brake upgrade. And since it's a Z28, the steering box is also in high demand, even the S-10 guys want that. If it has rear discs, grab the PBR calipers. If it still has the TPI, grab the plenum and fuel rails. If it has a T5, that's an easy $400 profit by itself. Lotsa money to be made from that jewel!

P.S. Also, those front seatbelts are great upgrades for '84-'90 that haven't had the recall upgrade done to them. Lastly, grab the instrument cluster. Not the whole dash.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 12-08-2010).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
It looks like they were trying to go Ferrari Testarossa style on that driver's mirror. A lot of Testarossa's had only one mirror and it was the driver's mounted up high like that. Likely that mirror came off of some Testarossa kit (or a rare chance it might be the real deal, but unlikely).
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I would have grabbed that mirror...if you go back get it.
PFF
System Bot
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
Hey get out of there lol Al's is pretty cool place. I'm guessing part 2 is the se with the melted dash.
10speeder

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-08-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 10speederSend a Private Message to 10speederDirect Link to This Post
Howdy,
ft fenders look saleable!!
1 ground skirts look fine to re sale as well!

My imsa was not that bad off but I could always use a new imsa fender. I would go offer $200 for that car and part it out. Many of us can fix fiberglass that looks that bad. Please reconcider leaving it there.

Jay
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 10speeder:

Howdy,
ft fenders look saleable!!
1 ground skirts look fine to re sale as well!

My imsa was not that bad off but I could always use a new imsa fender. I would go offer $200 for that car and part it out. Many of us can fix fiberglass that looks that bad. Please reconcider leaving it there.

Jay

i was thinking the same thing, about the fenders, ground fx, and even the side rears, but if you notice the front fenders are glassed into the nose.

These guys have seen these parts up close and would probably snag it themselves if they thought it was at all salvagable.

Pictures can be decieving, sounds like a lost cause.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Lol NEVER, i dont care how much it pisses me off its with me for life
Joe. Go pull thoes pannels if you can get them for like $100 or so there deffentley worth grabin easpecaly if there DGP

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Lol NEVER, i dont care how much it pisses me off its with me for life
Joe. Go pull thoes pannels if you can get them for like $100 or so there deffentley worth grabin easpecaly if there DGP

lol @ you and your DGP.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
If you have the skills or know someone who does-then those parts are still good IMO. You can pull a mold from the part and turn around and sell them. Besides, you need bondo and fiberglass to make a buck anyway. Or do it correctly by grinding down the bondo off and and you'll have a wide body kit.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
I thought about salvaging it, but Im just not able to do that right now. Space and time are at a minimum and my car rebuild is first and foremost. My wife has let me slide putting some old body panels outside on the trailer but shes about ready to tell me to throw them in the trash.

The body work done on this car is ridiculous. I have very little skills repairing fiberglass and could do a better job. Like someone mentioned already, the front fenders have been molded to the bumper, plus tons of other things you cant see in these pics. Somebody glassed over the bolts that hold the front fender on, a large chunk of front air dam missing, where the body meets the sail panels is cracked where it mounts, I dont know what the hell they did to the side molding, and as you can see the whole rear end of the car is one big nightmare. Needless to say if I WERE to save the car, it would take me months if not a year or better to get the body in shape let alone the rest of the car. Since my car wont be done for a few more months already, and I have one other car awaiting restoration, this would just be sitting in my driveway for quite some time. The wife would be thrilled (to kill me).

If someone wants to save it please do. I hate to see it rot as well but just cant justify trying to save it right now.

-Joe
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
That's a shame to see what was a nice car at one time look like that.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

I thought about salvaging it, but Im just not able to do that right now.
-Joe

What's up with the side view mirror? That's not a real 355 is it?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
any idea of what year it was?
PFF
System Bot
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

any idea of what year it was?

it looks like a 84 judging by the sail panels but they could have been changed out
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
It is an 84 and they won't sell the whole car because they don't have a title, I already asked. It would be a pain to pull the body off because of how they molded it all together. It could be done and I thought about it but it would take some doing.

Joe I was there on Monday getting mirrors and front bumper off the orange Honda. I first saw it there 2 weeks ago but didn't have ability to take pics. Would love to check out your 3.8 swap. Ray
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i dunno if its an 84 im goin by the trunk carpet and the decklid vent.. the vent is an actual vent and the carpet is suposed to be black

I beleave thats an IMSA stage 2 kit as well.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-08-2010).]

IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post

i dunno if its an 84 im goin by the trunk carpet and the decklid vent.. the vent is an actual vent and the carpet is suposed to be black

I beleave thats an IMSA stage 2 kit as well.

Not all 84's came with black carpet. So saying an 84 is supposed to be black is an incorrect statement. I have two 84's, both SE's and both came stock with grey carpet.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

Not all 84's came with black carpet. So saying an 84 is supposed to be black is an incorrect statement. I have two 84's, both SE's and both came stock with grey carpet.

lol learn somthing new every day.. i dident know that

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
While everyone was busy ooogling the body panels, did anyone notice the front hubs?

They might be worth going back for!
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
GOOD eye!
I looked over those and may go back and grab them. Does anyone know where they may be from? An aftermarket company make them? Those were the one (okay two) things that looked new on the car.

-Joe
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Whats the diffrence in the hubs?
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
They are hubs without rotors on them. I am doing the Lebaron conversion and you need to cut off your rotor, creating a hub like this. They have to be some sort of aftermarket part, they are new looking I just dont know where they came from or exactly what they are.

-Joe
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
True. I was gona say if it was a hub with longer studs or somthing like that id probabley buy them off you for my IMSA... gota figure out a way to get longer studs on there. You know its bad when the lugnut's are tight in only 5 or so turns
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Remove hubs from spindles, place hubs on blocks of wood, remove old studs with BFH, flip hubs over, clamp one old stud in vice grips, use that and BFH to install new longer Moroso or Dorman studs, reinstall hubs on spindles, done.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

Remove hubs from spindles, place hubs on blocks of wood, remove old studs with BFH, flip hubs over, clamp one old stud in vice grips, use that and BFH to install new longer Moroso or Dorman studs, reinstall hubs on spindles, done.

Thatsd what i need to do.. these ones i have on it are really scary with the way they are.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go, from Rockauto.com longer lug studs. These are used in Lebaron brake swaps, should be fine for you.

DORMAN Part # 6103231 More Information About this Part {#610323, 98501, 985011} Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.5 / Knurl Dia. 12.80mm / Length 54mm / Shoulder Length 8mm / Head Code 323
Category: Lug Stud

-Joe
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

Here ya go, from Rockauto.com longer lug studs. These are used in Lebaron brake swaps, should be fine for you.

DORMAN Part # 6103231 More Information About this Part {#610323, 98501, 985011} Type Serrated Stud / Thread M12-1.5 / Knurl Dia. 12.80mm / Length 54mm / Shoulder Length 8mm / Head Code 323
Category: Lug Stud

-Joe

Thanks i'll have to look into them.

joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
I went back yesterday, grabbed some parts off the other car then moseyed on over to this one. I figured I would snag those front hubs off and after good inspection it looks like a machine shop turned down a set of original hubs, score thats just what I needed for my brake upgrade. I also noticed that the bearings were freshly packed with new grease and upon removal I noticed they looked brand new! I couldnt tell what kind of brake upgrade somebody had done in the past to warrant machining those hubs, it also had brand new brake dust shields but the rears were mangled.

I found a tool laying on the ground in a package and opened it up. It was a knob for turning Koni adjustable rear struts. I noticed them the first time but didnt realize they were Konis. Unfortunately someone snagged the LR strut so it wasnt worth taking the other one.

Also, I found the decklid in the bed of a nearby truck. It had the whaletail spoiler molded in. I thought about grabbing that too but it was also in such bad shape and if I were to sell it I would have to ship it which would be a pain. Seriously it was bad, the fiberglass was splitting and splintered.

-Joe
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Joe,

Check your PM
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
You might check the RPO label for the paint code. This looks like an original blue 85 with factory paint that Ed Parks had at the Fiero Factory. IF it's an original blue 84 IT MUST BE SAVED no matter what.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
How cool would that be to find a rare fiero in the junkyard like that. Definitely check the codes on it. I know it looks like hell but if I had the space and time I would definitely try to grab that car... Fiberglass is neat stuff, there is almost ALWAYS a way to repair it... peace

Pete

rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
To late it is gone!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock