Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Thoughts needed on Solstice participation at Daytona 2011 (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Thoughts needed on Solstice participation at Daytona 2011 by JimmyS
Started on: 10-18-2010 10:40 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: qwikgta on 03-02-2011 10:37 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by normsf:

Hello I was there when the Solstice first came out and it was wonderful to be with the Fieros. Its only natural that the two groups coexsist as the Fieros become fewer and new blood needs to come in.

http://www.solsticeforum.co...ms-fiberglass-63593/

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 10-20-2010).]

IP: Logged
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post

Up to 2011 the word Fiero was included. Times must be a changing!
Fiero's Rock
Gary
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GKDINC:

Fiero's Rock
Gary

Yes, I like more Florida Fiero Wekend. At least on the logos.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 10-20-2010).]

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

What do ALL of these have in common.
The word ---FIERO----
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

What do ALL of these have in common.
The word ---FIERO----

Actually, they all contain the phrase... "Florida Fiero Weekend"
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GKDINC:

Fiero's Rock
Gary

This is wrong; I think you have more chances of losing Fiero attendance this way. Put the solstices/sky in their own section next to the Fiero section.. but don't remove the whole Fiero only event idea. bad bad bad move in my opinion!

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 10-21-2010).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

This is wrong; I think you have more chances of losing Fiero attendance this way. Put the solstices/sky in their own section next to the Fiero section.. but don't remove the whole Fiero only event idea. bad bad bad move in my opinion!

(I am not connected in any way with the Daytona Beach Fiero show and the following is my personal opinion)

A lot of you are missing the point. Maybe you've never been to Daytona and don't understand the nature of the show.

There are THOUSANDS of cars at Daytona in the spring show. The Fieros host a show within a show and have their own separate area, but for the most part it already is n all makes and models show.

Okay second, I have been at least three times and I do walk around the infield and one thing jumps out at me and that is that no other car has enough members to host a show within a show... not the mustangs, not the firebirds, not even the corvettes.

In other words, the Fiero has always been a little special in that there was interest by hundreds to support Daytona, but with these numbers decreasing every year the point will come when it can no longer be done.

Now if you support the idea that two seaters have a certain bond and you have a Fiero/Solstice/Sky/Reatta/Allante/Miata/etc show within a show that still has a certain interest level.

The alternative is that the Fiero show within a show disappears and you send in your money directly to the Daytona Beach Racing District and park with all the other cars.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Now if you support the idea that two seaters have a certain bond and you have a Fiero/Solstice/Sky/Reatta/Allante/Miata/etc show within a show that still has a certain interest level.

The alternative is that the Fiero show within a show disappears and you send in your money directly to the Daytona Beach Racing District and park with all the other cars.

1st- If you read the thoughts, of the majority, of people in this thread, we do not support the idea of Fiero/Solstice/Sky/Reatta/Allante/Miata/etc show within a show.

2nd- We do pay our money directly to the Daytona Beach Racing District. Every Fiero that comes to the show pays money to them either online, mail in or at the track upon entry. We then turn around and pay another fee, to Frank, if we want our car considered for the top 15 or 20 awards. If we do not pay this extra fee then our car can not be considered for an award.

Now Frank told me on the phone that he has no choice but to include the Solstice community because he is operating the show at a "Loss" for the past couple years. This in itself confuses me and I don't understand how Frank is "losing" money. I know that I pay for my own gas, transportation, food, hotel, entry fee to the track, entry fee to be considered for an award, go carts and other things that go on that weekend. I may be wrong but I assume that everyone else pays their own money for the same things? The awards are donated and paid for by Archie, the so called door prizes are donated by various vendors and then "Raffled" off by Frank. Dash plaques only go to people who pay the extra money to have their car considered for an award so those are paid for by we the people. The same goes for T-Shirts. You either have to buy them or pay for the award consideration.

Because I have to pay for these things... Dash Plaque, T-Shirt and chance to win an award, I feel I should have a say as to whether or not the Solstice community is to be included and a Solstice pictured on these items. Everybody else who pays their hard earned money should also have a say. After all... "WE" are paying for this.

Going to this show cost me over $600 out of my pocket, for me and my girl, and thats not counting the other $250 worth of stuff that we (Fiero Fiberglass) "Give" away as a door prize drawing. We do not Raffle (Sell) tickets. On top of that we donate a "Gift Certificate" to Frank for the door prize drawing which ends up getting "Raffled" off.

Frank, let me ask you this... Do you care to elaborate, to me and everyone else, how you are operating this show at a "Loss"? Maybe other things can be done to make this show operate correctly without bringing in other car communities.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Like em or not you will need the Solstice in the future.

Over time the numbers of Fiero's will get smaller and smaller and additional cars will be needed at Fiero events to keep them viable. This is something many other makes have seen over the years. Even today I am seeing more Camaro shows and clubs join in with Firebird clubs for events. As cars get older they get less in numbers and in some cases more valuable so people just don't attend shows as they once did.

A smart move it to start to include classes for Solstice and Skys at events or even clubs. This will give a boost to membership and attendance.

Thier money is as green as ours and they are like us a short term car no longer in production.

The sooner you get them involved and share events and clubs the sooner the Fiero groups will find extra support.

I just never understood the hate by some of the Solstice. While I don't expect some to like them enough to buy one there is no need to hate the car. It did nothing to the Fiero and if anything if done smart could help the car.

I would also think Rodney and the Fiero Store could benifit with offerings of some parts for these cars too. They could find out now what parts may be in need and be able to find added income in the future on these needed parts.

Most of the people with Solstice are a little more free with the money since they spent more on their cars just as the people who bought the Fieros new. Often they may have a little more free income to spend and our events could use the money and added suport. Were all in this together.

There is strength in numbers. If we do not increase the numbers of Fiero at many events they will soon die. The same for some clubs. Right now the Fiero club membership is as small or smaller than ever and I just don't see it coming back. Clubs and events that include the many discontinued 2 seat GM cars would be a boost and needed support system to help them all.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-22-2010).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I view the Solstice & Sky as distant cousins.

I wouldn't mind seeing those cars having their own classes & own space.

Would not like to see co-mingling the cars with the Fiero's. A separate space, near the Fiero's would be okay.

I'm trying to remember my feelings when I first saw them at the Daytona show, I did enjoy seeing Archie's & Norm's Solstice creations.

Artwork / t-shirts with both, 1st glance, NO.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
This is just my opinion. I have been hoping that one year I could make the show, my wife tells me that part of the main reason people want Fieros is the togetherness of the FIERO events and being different or having our own little nitch. I agree and I think trying to push in other cars that are nothing like a Fiero is a mistake. Taking out the Fiero name is an insult.
PFF
System Bot
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
i agree with jimmyS not to mix both. give them their own space and judge them seprately. have a t-shirt with them for them and a t-shirt for the fiero not one for both.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

...one thing jumps out at me and that is that no other car has enough members to host a show within a show... not the mustangs, not the firebirds, not even the corvettes.

In other words, the Fiero has always been a little special in that there was interest by hundreds to support Daytona, but with these numbers decreasing every year the point will come when it can no longer be done.

I don't believe that is true.
The Impala club parks it's members just across the road from the Fiero group every year.
The Challenger club parks next to, (or near), the Impala club.
I have seen the MG club represented a couple of years by as few as 4 cars, (parked together, but in with the "general population")
Several *different* Corvette clubs are represented, each in their own areas, (but adjacent to each other), at the opposite end of the track from where the Fiero group assembles.
There are many others, and all of them vary in the number of cars represented.
There have even been other Fieros present that have NOT parked with the Fiero group but in with the "general population".

The simple fact is, there is no "minimum number" of Fieros below which the Daytona show can be done, (except *zero*)

------------------

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post
I guess that maybe it time for me to step down and let some new blood step up and take over. I'm sure that there are others that can handle the show better and more cost efficient.

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I will still be going, I always have a good time at the show talking with friends and looking at the cars. I think it should remain a Fiero show.
I understand that less people have come the last few years because of the times but I think in times like this we need to put more effort into coming together. we all need a break from the stress of life.
so drag, tow or drive your fieros to the show and lets all have a great time.
D.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Now Frank told me on the phone that he has no choice but to include the Solstice community because he is operating the show at a "Loss" for the past couple years. This in itself confuses me and I don't understand how Frank is "losing" money.

Seems to me like the decision has been made, regardless that 95% of the people in this thread disagree....

I just do not get it..... If the Solstice community comes to the show... then they can only do so if they are a part of the Fiero section? This just makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-24-2010).]

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post
Actually the decision was made early last week to drop the Solstice from the logo based on responce on this thread. Angel did one heck of a job doing so and adding Florida Fiero Weekend also.

Frank

Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
I think rather than having discussions, we need some volunteers.

I've been talking to Frank about helping out more, and some of my club members from CFF are talking likewise.

I can tell you from experience though, when you prepare a budget, decide what you're going to charge and arrange for T-shirts, trophies and such, it "never" comes out even. You always have to accomodate the "late-comers" and that means planning "unknown" extras. Then you try to sell off the extras to get your money back.

Of course, everyone works for free, so you don't really pay any wages, and at the end of the event you open your wallet, see what you have left over from registrations, and you either cover your expenses or you dont'. I don't recall hearing anyone step up to Frank and say "hey, how about assigning me a job next year! I want to help"

Well, me and the CFF guys are talking, if you'd like to contribute some time and take on a task, drop me a note.

Marc

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT looking to a 3.4 transpant
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
  • 88 Factory T-Top, really, the "last" one!
elitopr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Although I am not able to attend, I will agree with Jimmy 100%, they are Pontiacs / sportscars and should be welcomed but separate in their own group for parking awards pics etc. Im sure that they would enjoy the comradery (sp?) Having said that, mho probably doesnt matter since I am not able to attend.

I agreed, both are excellents cars but separated and I love them because are Pontiac

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I've witnessed several Fiero events and there's one thing that stand out, "Old ideas seldom change since the invention of the wheel,” LOL

1. Lame trophies. There's a guy here on the forum that owns a laser machine and can make custom badges as "trophies" and possible making extras for those who are not entering their cars. Nothing says, LOSER when the trophies are nothing more than, "rebadged hand me downs trophies."

IMHO there's nothing more boring then a generic trophy. Granted, Daytona in the past gave out Fiero car trophies, but in stock form.

1. Same cars equals same thing. The only time I've seen Daytona "pop" was when somebody bought they're secret project to the show. Alex, Troy boys, and few others come to mind. Stock Fiero only attract stock people.

3. Girls. Nobody is saying you need a couple of hookers at the show, but having a nice looking "girl" pose next to your ride is far better than searching Daytona for left over’s. Also, this idea can generate revenue.

4. Track Pictures. Pictures taken from different angles could help and create revenue for the cost of the show.

5. Dude, Sugar mill for breakfast is lame.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The Down side to having Solstice mixed at a show-you get played!

I'm not 100% sure Solstice owners are "ballers," but nothing kills a stock Fiero faster than a newer car sitting next to it.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
DAMN Madcurl. Now thats an opinion...(referring to the post right above your last one).

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-24-2010).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragon:

Actually the decision was made early last week to drop the Solstice from the logo based on responce on this thread. Angel did one heck of a job doing so and adding Florida Fiero Weekend also.

Frank

If the decision was made last week then why didn't you say that last week?
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
one thing that was done in the past that always drew more people to the show was the trophies and or awards since this has been cut down to just an award that says top 20
I think a lot of the people that love to show for the awards would come back to the show. after all they are cheap but loved by all
just a thought.

I will do what I can to get more people to the show and I will see if I can come up with something to donate or raffle.
D.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragon:

Frank

I am posing this question again... If the decision was made last week then why didn't you say that last week?

Alright Frank, I'm going to ask that you respond in this thread for all to see. None of this email BS.
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

I am posing this question again... If the decision was made last week then why didn't you say that last week?

Alright Frank, I'm going to ask that you respond in this thread for all to see. None of this email BS.

Basically - because I am old school and believe that a picture is better than a thousand words. While I was on vacation down in the Keys (Run For The Keys) Angel had the chance to finish modifying the logo and posting it. Sadly, many times words are not believed or twisted - but pictures and graphics speak volumes for themselves.

Frank

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 10-25-2010).]

zap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zapSend a Private Message to zapDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Jimmy - (see below) BUT I do feel the Solstice owners should be welcomed with open arms as they are car people AND they own a Pontiac!

I do not mind if the Solstice community parks with the Fiero community but I would ask that the 2 communities be parked divided and not intermingled. Meaning... Fiero's in seperate rows from Solstices.
I do not feel that the Solstice should be up for awards competing with/against the Fiero
I do not feel that the Solstice should be pictured with the Fiero on Plaques and Shirts.
Again, the Solstice is "Not" a Fiero and should be kept seperated from the Fiero "On Track" pictures.

I have no problem with the Solstice people comming to dinner, go carting or other activities but Daytona has always been a "Fiero" event and I feel it should remain a "Fiero" event. If the Solstice cummunity wants to compete for awards they should have their own judging and awards seperate from the Fiero community. If they want T-Shirts and Plaques, they should also be seperate.

Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeDirect Link to This Post
Although I do like the Solstice, I am in total agreement with Jimmys on this one. Different cars, different eras, different awards and such is the way it should be, my .02
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Man I just found this thread and I can see a lot of passion here
I have both of them

Here's my 2 cents
I would like to point out a few of my observations from 2010

1. How many Oldsmobile's did anyone see - Scattered (Defunct 2004)

2. How many Plymouth's - Scattered (Defunct in 2001)

3. AMC's were lumped together (Defunct in the 80s) Kinda center stage tho

4. How many Fiero's are actually now part Buick, Chevy or Cadillac?

The way I see it only purest/stock owners can make this argument

But my input is
Solstice
- Should be welcome to hang in the area
- Should be judged in its own right
- Included on the T-Shirt, probably not
- On track photo, from what I've read that's a no-go, so no longer valid?

Like someone said earlier isn't about getting together and having fun?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

And so it begins...

Yep.

I am not going to attend but my answer would be NO

As an owner of a 2005 GTO, I had this same issue. I attemped to bring the two groups together, (2004-06 GTO) and it didn't work.

Keep the Fieros together, don't water them down. Let the Solstice club attend but park seperate, let them have their own class's and own tropheys.

Talk with the owners, BS about the cars, BS about Pontiac, but don't put the two groups together.

By the way, the local GTO club let the G8 club merge, and it won't be long until the G8 guys take over.

Rob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock