Cheap LED marker light build! by donnie072003
Started on: 09-18-2010 07:22 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: donnie072003 on 03-28-2011 11:12 PM
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
So today I'm wandering around Wal-mart waiting for my daughter to get done shopping and I come across these.

Obviously the wheels start turning as I have seen many fieros with LED marker lights so I thought I'd give it a try. Seems simple enough. So I buy these tax and all for about $18. This package can be cut into 4 6" strips. So anyway I bring these home and immediately start tearing things apart. I first did my front marker lights. I pulled them out and carefully took an exacto knife and kept cutting the back plate loose until I was able to pop them out. Once I had them apart I cut my 1st strip to 6".

Its hard to see from the flash but on each LED strip there is a line to tell you where to cut them at so as not to ruin the internal wiring. Once the strips are cut I measured off about 12" of wire and cut it from each of the two pieces I had that still had the wires attached. Using a 40 watt soldering iron I carefully resoldered wires to the positive and negative pins of the cut strips. These strips have 3M tape on the back side so they are a snap to secure to the backplate of each light assembly.

After I secured the lights to the backplates I routed the wires through the existing light socket hole and installed connector plugs.

Once the lights were assembled again I cut my light socket from the car and installed the female connectors so I could plug in the new lights.I didn't take a picture of the final assembly before installation but this is how they look complete on the car.

With Flash

Without flash

Now on a final note I will say this. If you plan to do this little mod do yourself a favor and buy a set of fiero store marker lights. My front marker lights are from the fiero store and they were much much much easier to disassemble without worry of breaking something. The factory marker lights are glued all the way around the lens and are incredibly hard to get apart without breaking. Fact is I cracked the 1st one but not so bad it couldn't be used. However the other marker light is not complete because I cannot get the last one apart without breaking it. Spent over an hour trying to cut around the backplate to break the glue loose with no luck. The fiero store lens are only held together with a rubbery like glue on each side of the backplate and it is very easy to cut through. I will ordering a new set of rear markers to finish this little mod.

Donnie

------------------

Getting closer every day!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chadwilkins

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chadwilkinsSend a Private Message to chadwilkinsDirect Link to This Post
I like! very cool!
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
It was very easy too except for those darn factory lenses!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
this is more or less exactley what i was planning on doin
nice job
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Damn Walmart, now they are selling empty packages?

Looks great by the way.
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I am a firm believer in great results for not a lot of money! Think if I took that package back they would replace it?? LOL
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
If you want even easier and cheaper there is another type that is flat you buy only one light and cut it up with scissors. Total cost to finish lights under $5 delivered from ebay.
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
That the way these were too. Flat and you cut them with scissors at the line between the strips. Just have to solder on new wire where ever you cut at. Dang wish I had seen them for that cheap on e-bay though. I thought I got a good deal! LOL
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Looks VERY familiar....

Now you can figure out how to make them flash when the parking lights are off *AND* on

If you get stumped, go see my thread.
------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 09-19-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

That the way these were too. Flat and you cut them with scissors at the line between the strips. Just have to solder on new wire where ever you cut at. Dang wish I had seen them for that cheap on e-bay though. I thought I got a good deal! LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/96-L...&hash=item43a0ad8205

There you go 96 leds for $5

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 09-19-2010).]

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I know they flash when the parking lights are on but I didn't think to check them when they were off. I'll do that in a little bit once I get out to the garage.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You need a small mod in front to make it work right.
Easy and cheap mod but LED will not work correctly w/o it.
See cave. LED marker in lighting section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Yep you guys are correct the front markers do not blink without the parking lights on! Guess I'll be checking the cave to see how to remedy this.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
i have a few spare rectifiers if you cannot get them locally.
looks good bye the way, mine is a wally world special too only i used different leds.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Hahah I got really lucky I called to order the side molding kit, and the full marker light kit from the Fiero Store. He said that they were out of stock on the round molding marker lights.... but.... hold on a minute. After being on hold a couple minutes, he comes back to tell me he has some defective round molding marker lights. I ask what is wrong with them? He says the glue from the factory did not hold and the lenses separated from the molding. Doing all I could do to keep from laughing, I said I'LL TAKE THEM! So, I got lights I do not have to cut apart, to put my LED's in them, at a discounted price Sweeet!

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Now thats awesome. I wonder if they have any more?? I need one for my drivers side that I can't get apart! Glad it worked out for you so sweet.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I bought a flasher relay for $4 delivered for my other car this week.
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Now on a final note I will say this. If you plan to do this little mod do yourself a favor and buy a set of fiero store marker lights. My front marker lights are from the fiero store and they were much much much easier to disassemble without worry of breaking something. The factory marker lights are glued all the way around the lens and are incredibly hard to get apart without breaking. Fact is I cracked the 1st one but not so bad it couldn't be used. However the other marker light is not complete because I cannot get the last one apart without breaking it. Spent over an hour trying to cut around the backplate to break the glue loose with no luck. The fiero store lens are only held together with a rubbery like glue on each side of the backplate and it is very easy to cut through. I will ordering a new set of rear markers to finish this little mod.

Donnie

There is a youtube video of a guy who replaced his factory side markers with leds. he used a heat gun to remove the backing. look here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVGcZy29vM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
How hard would it be to make both front, and rear, side markers flash with the LED strip lights?
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I am not sure yet but I am going to try it. I have seen it done but I cannot find the thread I read on it.
Mini_moosee

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mini_mooseeSend a Private Message to Mini_mooseeDirect Link to This Post
So after doing some research it sounds like all you need is a 1.4A, 100V full-wave bridge rectifiers to get it to flash. (This is assuming I read the article correctly)
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Donnie- anything new with these? Did you get em flashing?
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Actually I have not. I keep forgetting to bring home the heat gun so I can get the other rear marker light done. Once I'm done with that I will work on the flashing part again. Been really busy with work for the past month or so and a few home projects too. So my little toy has been on the back burner a lot lately. Hoping that in the next couple of weeks I can get back to work on her.
elusivedotone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for elusivedotoneSend a Private Message to elusivedotoneDirect Link to This Post

Donnie

I know this thread is older, but I came across it while reading your 86GT Build thread. I wanted to post a video I saw on youtube on how to cut away at the notchback style side markers as they are glued in place. This guy gives a pretty good tutorial about how to do it, if you are looking to save a little money and not have to buy replacement lights.
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Its funny you posted this while I was running to work to grab the heat gun! LOL Gonna try and get that last one opened up tonight so I can get the strip in it.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
A hairdryer works fine ... with a heat gun you may melt the marker

------------------

http://www.tylerstoy.com

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Ha finally got that last marker light done. It was very stubborn but the heat gun did the trick! LOL I'll try to get a few pics up tomorrow if I get time.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock