Started on: 09-05-2010 01:22 AM
Replies: 283
Last post by: DMendez7 on 09-10-2011 02:20 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
We had a pretty big Fiero day here in El Paso today.

Started the day with a little Fiero Car Show. Although it was small - only 5 cars, we had some pretty good representation as far as Fiero's go. My neighbor just bought a 2010 RT Challenger. I tried to trade him all five cars for his new ride but he would not even talk to me about it.

We had:

A stock 88 Formula/5spd
A chopped 86 SE with a well built 3.4/4spd
A 88 GT with a 3800 SC/auto
A 88 Coupe with an XTC body and a 4.9/auto
A 86 Coupe with a 350 Chevy/4spd

What I thought was intersting about this gathering is that they are all running/driving Fieros that have most the Fiero swap bases covered and represent most the body styles. If we only had a Mera and an Indy! Maybe something with a N*? I know where there is a Mera close by! Ther are a few others here in El Paso that could have made the show - We are going to have to get everyone together in the next few weeks so we can show off all the El Paso Fiero's Still got a few projects to finish but we are getting close to having all of them running/driving. We'll even get Carver1 down here in his latest monster!

When I pulled the V8 Coupe out of the backyard this morning, it was running really badly. I had no plans on messing with it today other than getting all the cars together for some pics. After we finished workng on Jeff's 88, he talked me into tinkering with it a little. It just seemed like it had no power and was missing a little. We pulled it in the garrage and was going to set it to TDC to check the timing and the Dizzy - acted like it was off a tooth or the timing was way off. We found that we could not get the number one plug out due to the close proximity of the alternator! We could not even get the plug boot off the plug. We pulled the rest of the plugs and installed new ones (old ones looked to be pig rich). We had to take the alternator loose to get the number one plug and found that the plug wire/boot had a hole wore in it and it was shorting out on the alternator - now I have to do some modification of the alternator mount!

Anyway, after we replaced the plug wire, we set it back on the ground and fired her up - what a difference. After adjusting the carb some, I took her for a spin - unbelievable difference. Although it had one dead cylinder, it did not have a noticable miss but it had no power. Now - all I can say is it's new name may have to be "smoky" due to all the tire spinning! Actually, it seems to hook pretty good if you don't drop the clutch to hard.

I actually got Jeff to get on the ground and under the my car! Easiest way to change the plugs on a 350 is from the bottom!

After the Coupe was out of the garage, we rolled in the next victim. We will be pulling the motor out of the Short Bus tomorrow in the AM. Hmm? What could we be doing with the Short Bus? What kind of power plant can we stuff in this one? What would you stuff in a Chopped 86 SE? Stay tuned!

And what do you think we are going to do with this sweet 3.4? That's another thread!

More tomorrow.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 09-24-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Hey, what's that Ferrari motor doing in a Bus?
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
You keep taking all my cars Pat.
The Bus looks like a snow plow!
Would this be the Monster you speak of?

Lowered two coils in the front!

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus" SOLD!
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 09-05-2010).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Wish it wasn't so danged far away from Huntsville. I would love to meet all you guys.
Joe
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoDirect Link to This Post
Let us know the next time you are planning something. I go to Las Cruces to visit family and could take a detour to El Paso.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Need some inspiration over here! More pics!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Hey, what's that Ferrari motor doing in a Bus?

I've seen a Ferraris owner put a 2.8 in his 308 - why not put a Ferari motor in a Fiero?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Carver1:

You keep taking all my cars Pat.
The Bus looks like a snow plow!
Would this be the Monster you speak of?

Lowered two coils in the front!

Yes - that's the monster I speak of - looks good hangin low in the front - not nearly as low as this:
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by josef644:

Wish it wasn't so danged far away from Huntsville. I would love to meet all you guys.
Joe

Someday Joe, we will get together. I missed ya at the Round Up in SA this year.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by pdemondo:

Let us know the next time you are planning something. I go to Las Cruces to visit family and could take a detour to El Paso.

We are always doing somethig with Fieros. Let us know next time you are in Cruces and we'll come meet you for lunch or dinner. We are always going to old Mesilla for a Fiero run.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Yes - that's the monster I speak of - looks good hangin low in the front - not nearly as low as this:

NOT YET!

And if that is too low for you Texans, I'll put the chin spoiler to good use.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 09-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
More Fiero Fest!

We tackled two Fiero projects today. First, my son was making a U Turn in the XTC and spun out hitting the curb? Hmmm..... How do you spin out making a U turn? Seems like maybe it was a high rate of speed or a little heavy on the throttle - most likely both! Anyway, he shoved the front valance back into the tire on the right side and put a nice wanger in the right front rim. How the tire did not blow is a mystery to me.

So when I pop the hood to pry the valance back into place, I notice that the lid is off the master break cylinder? WTF? Could the impact of the curb cause the lid to pop off? I don't think so unless it was not snapped on to begin with. I have a feeling that it had been laying there for some time as all the break fluid that was spewed all over the place was pretty dirty and grungy! We filled up the master cylinder and reinstalled the cap, pryed the valance back into place but it was hanging low so my son jacked up the car and went through all the mounts and bolts for the valance, straitened it up and tightened it down - looks way better now. I can't believe that the valance did not explode into a million pieces - this Pisa XTC glass is pretty tough.

After that he installed a short auto shifter that Carver1 gave him. He did all the work himself - I was proud to see him tackle a project on his own. I just had to fight with him for tools......

Stock Auto Shifter:

Short one installed - we need to find a suitable shift knob:

While he was working on the XTC, Jeff, Rick and I got busy dropping the 3.4 out of the Bus. Went pretty well - had it out in a couple hours and the Bus back on it's wheels and out back in about 6 hours.

Not the first time the Bus has been in my garage in this position:

Sitting on the engine cart - going to split the motor from the trans:

3.4 is free form it's 4 spd bonds!

Another shot of the Bus in a familiar pose!

The standard Trunk shot:

Just had to post this "Coke Can" Shot!

And a parting shot - my garage without a Fiero in it!

More later.

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
"Deja Vu" should the Bus' name!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

I've seen a Ferraris owner put a 2.8 in his 308 - why not put a Ferari motor in a Fiero?

Well we haven't done that yet. But, we are running out of Fieros.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Well we haven't done that yet. But, we are running out of Fieros.

Not quite yet......
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
If you start parting out Ferraris to keep the Fieros on the road, you might wanna seek some professional help...I'll donate the Solstice for the cause if you get that bad!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Check out the gap on this plug!

Started "cleaning" up the 3.4 out of the Bus today! We need to swap the 86 torque/shock from the 3.4 to a 2.8 and we have a RD adapter bracket to go in it's place but it looks like we have to "modify" the bracket to get it to fit correctly.

Removing the shock bracket:

RD's adapter bracket in place. You can see the gap between the bracket and the far right mount hole. Plus the upper mount does not sit flush on the bolt boss and the mount for the AC bracket does not line up correctly with the RD bracket. The tab across the bottom appears to be hitting the block not allowing the bracket to sit square on the bolt bosses. Anyone have any suggestions/experience with the RD bracket? Do I have it on right (got no instructions with it)!

Also Pulled the T Stat/Filler neck to fix this:

We have a RD power pulley / alternator tensioner kit to install so I pulled the damper pulley off and found this. Does anyone know if the 3.4 is supposed to have a "slinger" on the crank in front of the timing gear?

That's about it for the ELP Fiero Fest today. Our goal this week is get this 3.4 ready to swap into another Fiero next Saturday/Sunday. Stay tuned.

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
What is that in the filler neck?

I also removed all the A/C parts from this 88, so if you need any of the brackets or bolts, let me know.

Could the mounting points in the casting on the 3.4 block be a little different than the 2.8?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

What is that in the filler neck?

I also removed all the A/C parts from this 88, so if you need any of the brackets or bolts, let me know.

Could the mounting points in the casting on the 3.4 block be a little different than the 2.8?

Hey Phil!

Stuff in the fill neck is silicone. This RD bracket is supposed to be the "fix" for the difference between the 2.8 AC brackets and the 3.4 mount points? The original 2.8 torque / shock mount works pretty good and it looks like the RD bracket is paterned off the shock bracket but it just does not fit real good. I put one of these brakets on Jan's 3.4 swap and had the same fitment issue. Just unexpected from an RD product. I will give RD a call tomorrow - maybe I'm doing something wrong? We should be good for brackets and bolts.

How's your new project going? I need to get this 4.9/Fiero harness sent off to you this week. I keep forgetting it. I'll get a care package together tomorrow. If you need anything, let me know - I have a complete 88 duke/auto harness if you need it for anything. Also have a new V5 Duke AC comp, Starter and various pieces/parts for the 88 Duke.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
No big hurry on the harness. It'll just be a rainy night project.
The swap is good so far. I have the 88 2.8 stripped to the block and heads. Just cleaning it up and replacing seals and gaskets. I'm waiting on an 88 flywheel and clutch so I can get it back together. The harness is going to be the only headache so far. If you have a GT 5 speed harness laying around.... I need to modify this one for a standard tranny.
I have everything converted over except the fuel pump.
I got an engine stand today that my back REALLY enjoys! No more crouched over bending wrenches.

Let me know if you see anything else fishy in that motor.
That Mera is gonna be sweet!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
A little more done this evening!

Pulled tha damper and front seal - cleaned up some backets and the front cover some.

More later!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Hey, parts are starting to look "clean". I think someone, whos name shall not be mentioned, may be using "mind control" on you.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Hey, parts are starting to look "clean". I think someone, whos name shall not be mentioned, may be using "mind control" on you.

You just better be lucky Pat doesn't charge by the hour. He never stops working!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

You just better be lucky Pat doesn't charge by the hour. He never stops working!

"He never stops working" You might want to take a look in the mirror....... I'd be there too but I am chained to my desk.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I'm not working! This is required therapy that I need after work - or I might start "shooting" at people!

Pulled the pan today for a reseal. Motor is nice and clean inside. Looks like someone (not Carver1) dropped this pan while it was in the car to seal up the fitting for the oil level sensor. When I pulled the pan, there was a "gap" in the gasket on the front cover:

We will seal her back up nice and tight and should have zero leaks! Still not sure how the oil got inside the damper,crank area? I used a stiff bristle brush and dry brushed the block knocking off most the oil/sand/dirt. A little more detailing by the owner may be required - I have taken my share of the "polishing" to it's limit!

Pan off:

A little cleaning:

Put down for a nap!

More tomorrow!

Pat

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
That thing IS clean. Maybe I should have hung onto it?
I won't even post pics of the one I'm rebuilding now. It's a little on the "amber" side of the color wheel. AND I put the middle intake on backwards......
I think I need a nap.

Keep it up Pat!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000

"He never stops working" You might want to take a look in the mirror....... I'd be there too but I am chained to my desk.

Sorry, I don't have a mirror in the garage!

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
A little more detailing by the owner may be required - I have taken my share of the "polishing" to it's limit!

I can do that! I will consult with the local "Fiero detailing expert" for tips before I begin.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carver1:

That thing IS clean. Maybe I should have hung onto it?

Well at least on the inside......Sorry, said powerplant is now officially a required system for "PROJECT MERRARI"
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Rick....any idea where we might find a detailing specialist? You know, someone with an eye for perfection in every last aspect? There must be someone who has that gift of visual perfection out there......
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post

I'm not working! This is required therapy that I need after work - or I might start "shooting" at people!

Pulled the pan today for a reseal. Motor is nice and clean inside. Looks like someone (not Carver1) dropped this pan while it was in the car to seal up the fitting for the oil level sensor. When I pulled the pan, there was a "gap" in the gasket on the front cover:

That's not a "gap," it's a breather vent..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

That's not a "gap," it's a breather vent..

I think it would do more "exhaling"
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Rick....any idea where we might find a detailing specialist? You know, someone with an eye for perfection in every last aspect? There must be someone who has that gift of visual perfection out there......

Some say, he polishes bolt threads by hand....... Some say, he waxes the inside of gas tanks....... All I know is that he is not the Stig!

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-09-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Well no updates today - work work work....... and now beer beer beer!

More tomorrow!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Late update! Had to go to a HS Football game and just got home - We won 55-0! Woo Hoo!

Anyway, we added part 2 of the "El Paso Fiero Fest" project. We needed a Mera and now we have one in our clutches. Hmmm....what could be cooking for the Mera.

Red Fiero's are so nice:

Even though my Formula has a little "grey" on top........

A few more:

We spent some time working on the 3.4 we removed from the Bus - kncked a few dents out of the pan , reinstalled it, got the T Stat housing back on, the damper installed and the new RD power pulley installed. Then we started working on the Mera. Got a few things done then we put her to bed for the evening:

Lot's more tomorrow. It's been a great week - I have worked on Fiero's everyday!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 09-11-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Project Merrari????
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
That Mera is UGLY! After you get it all finished up, drive it up here and I'll hide it for you. I don't want people throwing rocks at my friends. I'll just tuck it nicely in my garage for awhile....to keep you guys safe.

Can't wait to hear it run!

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 09-11-2010).]

86gtzone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gtzoneSend a Private Message to 86gtzoneDirect Link to This Post
The little bit of grey, just shows you are better with age. And yes red is good.

[This message has been edited by 86gtzone (edited 09-11-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86gtzone:

The little bit of grey, just shows you are better with age. And yes red is good.

Hey, are you talking about my hair? I can't help it. It runs in the family.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

That Mera is UGLY! After you get it all finished up, drive it up here and I'll hide it for you. I don't want people throwing rocks at my friends. I'll just tuck it nicely in my garage for awhile....to keep you guys safe.

Can't wait to hear it run!

It really needs your "lowering touch". Right now it looks like a 4X4! Down in front please.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-11-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock