Started on: 09-05-2010 01:22 AM
Replies: 283
Last post by: DMendez7 on 09-10-2011 02:20 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Looks like you guys had fun Pat. Sorry couldn't join you.....we're both working Sunday so did the Easter family thing today. Need an extra pair of hands to get in the way next weekend?

We can always use extra hands Dan! Come on over anytime - we will start thrashing on it Friday evening. Hoep you had a nice "Early Easter"

Pat

IOP7

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-24-2011).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rick 88:

I think you should name the motor "Blue By U"

Ha - Right now, when it goes in the Yellow Bus, it will look like the Ronald McDonald car! It will need a big red "M" for each door! I'm going to get Jordan a Ronald McDonald wig and mask to drive around in.
DMendez7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

There is a local guy advertising a T Top GT on local CL and on PFF. Jeff, Rick and I went to take a look at it today. The car looks pretty good - it needs some TLC but it would be a great project. None of us have the time or space to take on another one. Somebody needs to pick this car up and save it.

I went to go see it as well, I'm able to take it under my wing but i'm afraid the engine/trans are far more messed up than what it seems like
Did you notice anything out of the ordinary with the engine/trans pat?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DMendez7:

I went to go see it as well, I'm able to take it under my wing but i'm afraid the engine/trans are far more messed up than what it seems like
Did you notice anything out of the ordinary with the engine/trans pat?

We never got to actually talk to the owner face to face. We met his sister and rummaged through the pieces and parts he has. I am not really sute what condition the motor/trans is in. Jeff and Rick know this car from years past. The guy that owned it then had some overheating problems with it but who knows what has or has not been done since then. It woul be a good candidate for a swap of some sort. I really wish I ahd room for another project.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Ok Guys, I got a call from the imfamous PK. He will be passing back thru El Paso this weekend, and hopes to be able to meet up with our little group. LMK if you might be able to free up some time to meet with him. As ususal I am working this Saturday but I am sure he would like to get together with the rest of our motley crew.

Give me a call and I will give you PK's number.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Ok Guys, I got a call from the imfamous PK. He will be passing back thru El Paso this weekend, and hopes to be able to meet up with our little group. LMK if you might be able to free up some time to meet with him. As ususal I am working this Saturday but I am sure he would like to get together with the rest of our motley crew.

Give me a call and I will give you PK's number.

I got a house full of people and a graduation on Saturday - I might be able t get away for lunch - I'll need an excuse to get out of the house.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
PK might not be here till late Saturday or early Sunday. I asked him to post updates on this thread. Is Sunday ok for you guys???
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Took the V8 Coupe over to the Caffiene and Octane gathering this AM. Actually got to see some cars that I had not seen before. It was a pretty good gathering. The majority left around 10 am for a cruise up to Old Mesilla in New Mexico. A few of us stayed behind and went to a local hole in the wall for lunch. The V8 Coupe ran great -no issues - about 80 miles round trip and it was close to 103* on the ride back - not great fun with no AC! But I'd do it again. The car is a blast to drive.

I was teasing the guy that pulled up in the Lotus - aked him if he parked next to my Fiero so his Lotus would have a little class. Asked him if he had the Pontiac Fiero designed suspension. Then told him there was no way we could get an SBC in that little hole in the Lotus. He gave me a dirty look and walked away. Some people just don't have a sense of humor!

What could that little braided stainless line be for?

Uh Oh - the 3800SC was not fast enough on it's own! We were tuning on this car last night and I am completely impressed with N02. Something new planned for the V8 Coiupe.

A few shots of some of the other cars:

This is a twin turboed Sunbeam Tiger - with verified low 9 time slips! Find the turbo's!

Can you say intercooler?

I really liked this color scheme on the Cobra - I am really wanting to buld one of these Cobra's but I found a new project that I am going to do.

For the Mopar fans!

Stude fans!

Camaro fans!

And here's my new dream car - I think something like this will be my next project!

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the pictures.
-Joe
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Ok Pat, since you are down to one Fiero, time to post pics of it being worked on!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Prepping for a clutch job on the Formula - no ambitious but it needs to be done
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
You gotta do it. At least one of us has to make the run to Gunnison........
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
You're not going Rick?? I thought you were taking the Mera. I'll be going....finally got Problem Child sorted well enough.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
If I can't get a replacement manual transmission axle in time, I will have to bow out. There are no stock replacments out there. Did you guys use Jeff's axle on the 4.9?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 07-30-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to Gunnison if I have to strap down on the roof of Dan's car!

Rick,

What's your schedule this week? I'm going to be starting the clutch job on the Formula tomorrow - if we have to yank your axle and get it over to under car parts for a rebuild, we can pick a day this week and get er done! I'm in town until Gunnison!

Wanted to start the clutch job today but got side tracked with the Blazer - it's sorted out and my "plate" is clear except for a pile of Mopar parts!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Got the Formula in the garage today - intended to start on a clutch relacement job but found that the clutch pedal was hanging up - cleaned and lubed the pivot point and it seems to be working fine now? While it was inside, I rebuilt the passenger side headlight motor and then removed the old tired exhaust tips and installed some new ones. I'll tear the interior out this week and start the interior rehab.

Wonder why it quit working?

New RD bushing kit:

Old tips removed:

New ones in place - just got to do a major clean up now!

Good night Red!

More later.

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Clutch is good to go now I hope ? Dropping the cradle is never fun.

I had a set of these on my 4.9 exhaust system, and thinking about a set for my 3.4

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-01-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Clutch is good to go now I hope ? Dropping the cradle is never fun.

I had a set of these on my 4.9 exhaust system, and thinking about a set for my 3.4

I heard that Joe, This car has never been apart - they are never the same once you tear them apart.

I liked those tips on your 4.9. Curious as to how they sound with the V6? I opted for some cheapo tips - I have a new exhaust planned for it later and may try some new "high end" tips then.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

I heard that Joe, This car has never been apart - they are never the same once you tear them apart.

I liked those tips on your 4.9. Curious as to how they sound with the V6? I opted for some cheapo tips - I have a new exhaust planned for it later and may try some new "high end" tips then.

Sound clip of these on the 4.9 exhaust. Engine starts about 10 seconds mark.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-01-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Tackled the seat skins today. I was able to find some Hog Rings at a local upholstery store. My hands are killing me now but all in all it was not too bad. Was able to strip and recover both seats in about 3 hours. These are not original Formula skins but I like the GT style better and they will do until I find some decent original Formula Skins.

The reason why they needed changed!

Stripped one outside - it was too hot so I had to move inside!

Here's the "new" skins - one of the bolsters seams was seperated - I had to do some "seamstress" work. Turned out pretty good for someone that's all thumbs - and I did not stick myself one time!

Nice and cool in the living room!

Ready to go back in!

I'll get the headliner out of the car tomorrow - also plan on an axle swap on Rcik's Mera! Should be a productive day!

More later!

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I am partial to the tan and beechwood interiors. The seats look real nice
-Joe
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

I am partial to the tan and beechwood interiors. The seats look real nice
-Joe

Thanks Joe - one of these days I will spring for a set of Mr. Mikes! I was able to get a bag of about 300 Hog Rings for 3.00. Got all the way home and could not find my hog ring pliers - went to Harbor Frieght - sold out, went to 2 other "tool" stores - no one had them, Went all the way back down town to the place where I got the hog rings - they had one pair left! Seem to be a popular tool here in El Paso! I'd like to see the "factory" tool that was used to build these seats. It had to be a power tool. All the original hog rings were very tight and perfectly round.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Seats look good Pat! How is the headliner coming?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
After a miserable day at work, I got to take my frustrations out on the Formula interior. Got it all stripped out except for the carpet - I'll clean it in place. Stripped the headliner and started cleaning the trim pieces - it's going to take a lot of elbow grease to get this stuff clean - 2 years being abused by 2 teenage boys took it's toll. I found a really bad spot in the head liner board. My oldest son forced a 42" tv in the passenger seat and it ripped the headliner material. When I stripped it off, there is a huge hole punched in the board. I'll have to do some fiberglass repair to the board now. It's going to have to be ultra smooth as I am planning on a suede headliner. Also plan on cleaning the seat belt webbing. My plan is to use some type of hand cleaner thoroughly rubbed into the webbing then blast it off with my pressure washer? I might have to do the carpet the same way - both my boys worked at Applebees as cooks - so the carpet is covered in Applebees kitchen grime! Poor car!

Pile O Dirty Trim!

Nice big hole!

I used a stiff bristle brush to clean the material off the board. I will go over it again to get the little stuff off than I will most likely give it a coat or 2 of resin and sand it as smooth as I can get it.

Carpet is a mess!

Door panels are a mess!

More later!

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I am not sure if you can put the suede on that head board. It is very hard to put the headliner material on a no sunroof board and keep it flat. Much less the suede. The sunroof headboard would be easy as pie. A non sunroof board has to many high and low places. I covered my board last year and I made a few BOO-BOOs that are not repairable with out removing all of the new material just added. I am gonna just live with mine. You might consider letting a shop do the covering as they will have to make good their screw ups. They do these for a living and get lots of practice. I would not take on suede and a non sunroof board.

Just letting ya know how hard this might be to get it on correctly.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-05-2011).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure if you can put the suede on that head board. It is very hard to put the headliner material on a no sunroof board and keep it flat. Much less the suede. The sunroof headboard would be easy as pie. A non sunroof board has to many high and low places. I covered my board last year and I made a few BOO-BOOs that are not repairable with out removing all of the new material just added. I am gonna just live with mine. You might consider letting a shop do the covering as they will have to make good their screw ups. They do these for a living and get lots of practice. I would not take on suede and a non sunroof board.

Just letting ya know how hard this might be to get it on correctly.
-Joe

Thanks Joe! Turns out that Fierothomas will not be able to get the headliner material and my new visors to me before I leave for Gunnison on Thursday

I ended up using normal headliner material - later I will follow you advice and let a local shop do the suede - I have another headliner board that they can work with. Once it's done, I'll swap it out.

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Big weekend in El Paso! Worked on the Formula interior both days. This AM we went to Jan's house to work on his 3.4 swap. We have been working a few hours in the early AM each weekend for several weekends. Ran into a few problems - mainly stuck injectors which were brand new! Jan ordered some Accel's and we installed them this morning, reasembled the top end and fired her up for the first time in nearly 2 years. We started this project back in August 2009. Due to all the other projects we have gong on, this one has been getting put off. It did fire up but we need to do some valve adjustments before we can finish it up - one more good thrashing session and we should have this one in the books.

I spent yesterday working on the headliner board for the Formula. I had some holes that needed repaired and then I decided to give it a couple coats of resin - I have found that after applying a few coats of resin, then giving it a rough sanding, the headliner material / glue stays put. Prevents the headliner board and headliner material from seperating due to deterioration of the board. It's a little bit of work but it's well worth it. This morning, I layed on the new headliner material, trimmed it out and got most of the interior reinstalled.

When we had some "down time", we stripped down a 350 4 bolt main block to take to the machine shop - new project! And we pulled the top end off a 440 for another project!

My plans were NOT to do any projects this Summer - I wanted to drive and enjoy at least one Fiero this Summer and we ended up working on all of them. Headed for Gunnison on Thursday - finally going to get to drive a Fiero for fun!

Repairing a few holes in the headliner:

All cleaned up and going back together:

My new "Project" 350 SBC:

Stripped down and ready for the machine shop - had a broken bolt for the pan - it was a PITA to get out but I managed to get it without destroying the block!

Not Fiero related but this will be a fun project - building a thumper 440 to go in a 65 Fury:

This is a Factory Crate motor that was installed in a Motorhome - has about 30k on it. Picked it up - complete with heavy duty 727 for 350.00! It's going to be treated to a thumper cam/kit with springs and roller rockers, 3 Duece manifold/carbs, Headman Ceramic coated headers, Electronic ignition, new oil pump and all new gaskets. Look at all this "junk" we removed today:

And the car it's going in - It's a 65 Fury 3 - the car has 5650 original miles - it's absolutely near perfect. Just a little sun fade on some of the interior.

It had a 318 Poly motor in it - originally we were going to build a storker motor out of the old Poly but ran across this 440 so plans were changed. We had already ordered the cam, rods, crank and pistons for the stroker plus found an original - factory dual quad manifold for it. Mopar parts are no cheap! We will build this motor at a later date but for now - it's 440 time!

Sorry about the "Mopar" dribble but it's great car!

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 08-15-2011).]

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear Jan's car finally fired! Wish I could have been there. T minus 4 days for Gunnison trip.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Glad to hear Jan's car finally fired! Wish I could have been there. T minus 4 days for Gunnison trip.

Wahoo - 4 more get ups and we are outta here!

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Wahoo - 4 more get ups and we are outta here!

I can hardly wait.....I am dying for a serious road trip.....it's been a long summer.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I heard that - been wrenching on these things long enough - time to drive - can't wait to get to the mountains! I really need to cool out!
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

I heard that - been wrenching on these things long enough - time to drive - can't wait to get to the mountains! I really need to cool out!

Nothing clears my head like a long drive through the mountains.....and being in the Fiero is just icing on the cake.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have a set of Fiero Thomas sun visors in beechwood. They are fantastic. Quality craftsmanship. I purchased the material local so I could get the exact color I wanted. He did the rest.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Buttoned up the rest of the interior today - got a package from TXGOOD - arm rest/cupholder and console door. Mike does awesome work. Just waiting on some Fiero News Sunvisors and the interior is done! 3 more days to Gunnison.

I also painted the sail panel frames and the little "triangle" thingie behind the door mirrors.

More later!

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Quit cleaning Pat!! My car is going to look like %$#&@ next to yours. The Formula is really looking nice!
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Quit cleaning Pat!! My car is going to look like %$#&@ next to yours. The Formula is really looking nice!

If (when) we hit rain, they will all 3 look like crap. And after the second day on the road, a Fiero looks like you're living in it anyway. No worries Rick
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I would have to do all this cleaning/repairs regardless of going anywhere - it was a pig pen! The poor car has had next to no care for the last 1.5 years. It was time for a good cleanup. I'm done and ready now - a good bath Thursday AM and it will be ready to go. Got all my tools and road trip kit put together and packed in the trunk. Let's go!
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Packing most of mine tomorrow night. Thu AM will just have to do some quick banking, pack the last minute stuff, and we're ready to roll. Was gonna do it this morning, but the guy finally came by and paid for my motorcycle. Took up the whole morning, working tonight.

You got a spare ignition module laying around you can bring Pat?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Packing most of mine tomorrow night. Thu AM will just have to do some quick banking, pack the last minute stuff, and we're ready to roll. Was gonna do it this morning, but the guy finally came by and paid for my motorcycle. Took up the whole morning, working tonight.

You got a spare ignition module laying around you can bring Pat?

Got 2 packed!
DMendez7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys, ran into a bit of car trouble recently.

Got my clutch replaced about 2 years ago (Don't have the tools or experience to do it myself ) when i first bought my '86 GT 4spd. A couple of weeks ago, I started to notice the clutch was slipping a bit, but yesterday out of nowhere it started to slip A LOT. To the point where i have to rev it up to about 4K RPM with 1st fully engaged to move the car even a little bit. Pretty sure its the clutch disc and all that, right? Bled the clutch line and pedal is nice and stiff but still no joy. Well i ordered up a slave cylinder rebuild kit + new bleeder screw from Rodney to fix up a minor leak i have, should arrive early next week.

I want to get it up and running ASAP, I'm currently attending UTEP full time + doing some volunteer work as a middle school volleyball coach + running my own business (Selling HID's locally, always happy to point you in the right direction for some decent HID's!) Took it across the border 2 years ago where they did the new clutch, can't complain on the work but i wouldn't risk a trip over there anymore. If it is the clutch disc and etc i saw the clutch kit on AutoZone for $99, that's no prob. I just wanted to ask if you local El Paso Fieroans would be able to help me out on this task. I'd be more than willing to pay for this job, I rather someone that knows a fiero inside/out work on it than go mechanic hunting. I'd also like to see/learn as well, pretty eager to see how to drop the cradle if it is necessary and all that. I will understand if it's not possible with all of your busy schedules as well, maybe you all can point me in the right direction to a decent mechanic if that's the case.

Thanks for your time!
David
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock