Started on: 09-05-2010 01:22 AM
Replies: 283
Last post by: DMendez7 on 09-10-2011 02:20 AM
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
He does really exist though. He's our our mentor, our guru.....and our shop steward......
IP: Logged
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
If the Texas sun is just right, you can see his halo.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

If the Texas sun is just right, you can see his halo.

That's not a halo.....it's a Fiero air cleaner lid!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
You guys are killing me! I am just the "Union Scribe" and part time photogragher!

No paint today on the Bus..... Took awhile to get it taped and covered plus everytime we wipe her down, we find a few more spots that need attention. Was going to paint it this afternoon but it was a little too windy and too many bugs. We will be spraying paint by 7AM tomorrow!

More later!

Pat

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Pictures....Pictures....Pictures......
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Ok - you asked for them!

Some from yesterday first!

A little tape & paper!

Wiped down with degreaser and wax remover then some reducer!

Drum roll please!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
1st Coat!

A litlle later in the day!

We did have a few porblems with the gun - csused a few runs and some thin spots. We will sand the runs out after the paint sets up and reshoot those area's. When we finished spraying at 10:30 am, we were a little disapointed as there was some orange peel and the few runs. We also had 2 bugs stuck in the paint in the middle of the hood. We went to lunch, bought some more paint and some new HVLP cup guns and headed back. Much to our surprise, the paint had flowed out and the orange peel had disapeared! There is a little dust in spots - that's what you get when you paint outside! Nothing a little elbow grease can't fix!

Edit to add: After looking at the car all day, I have 3 new names for the bus for consideration:

Lemon Drop
Lemon Chop
Lemon Wedge

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 10-17-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Forgot to add:

We installed the WCF shift cable bracket today. After a little fittup, we got it adjusted right and now we have all gears on the 4t65E. It appears to be a well made setup. Only a proper amount of thrashing will tell.

Bonus Picture:

If you were laying in your Fiero in this postion, what would you be doing? (El Paso guys can't play - they already know what we had to do this afternoon).

More later!

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
It's yellow!

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

It's yellow!

Phil passes the color blindness test!

I vote for "Lemon Doorstop" because of its down in front attitude! You know me and yelllow....I like it! Great job.

As for what Jeff is doing, he will take a nap anywhere. You guys take enitrely too many Union Breaks when I have to work.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-17-2010).]

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
nice home paint....i have often wondered what the bad would be.....bugs in MI hibernate in this colder weather....check.
paint will run itself out......check.....now i need a compressor, gun, paint......oh yeah and a Job!

looks real good.

if i may throw a name suggestion out.....the "Lemon Drop Chop" or adapt to a new kungFu move.

Rick get to work......

Daniel
kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Edit to add: After looking at the car all day, I have 3 new names for the bus for consideration:

Lemon Drop
Lemon Chop
Lemon Wedge

More later!

Pat

If it didn't have the aero nose, I'd go with lemon wedge. Since it does, I'd go with lemon drop. Keep up the good work
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Hey, change my vote to "Lemon Drop Chop". It rolls of the tongue....I like it!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Sunrise Chop

What kind of paint are you using? An Acrylic Urethane?

I like this yellow better than the'Bus' yellow.

The only thing that is accessible in that position with his body that far in to the cabin is the console and radio , so I would tend to think he is radio-ing

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-17-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Sunrise Chop

What kind of paint are you using? An Acrylic Urethane?

I like this yellow better than the'Bus' yellow.

The only thing that is accessible in that position with his body that far in to the cabin is the console and radio , so I would tend to think he is radio-ing

Hey Joe,

It's Dupont Nason Urethene. I am pretty impressed with how this paint went on. We used some "fisheye eliminator" too. I watched a few spot that I was sure would fish eye and after about 10 minutes, it flowed out. Right at 150.00 for the paint, reducer, catalyst, fiheye eliminator, , etc. All said and done, we have about 250.00 in this paint job. Jeff had to buy one more quart of paint for the touch up and the "custom" black for the belt trim, nose, engine grates and sails. It was a lot of work but it was worth doing. Not sure I have the desire to do it again. Although I am thinking of painting the Formula myself - most likely a panel off job but we will have to wait awhile due to other more pressing projects.

As for Jeff, I thought I heard him snoring once. He did say that it made his back feel better all twisted like that - but in reality, he was changing his heater core! Caught just in time too - it was getting ready to make a big mess!

More later!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

It's yellow!

It's so bright - when the sun hit it this morning, my eyes were burning! Made me sneeze when I tried to look at it with out sunglasses. I think it's brighter today than it was yesterday.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by batousai666:

nice home paint....i have often wondered what the bad would be.....bugs in MI hibernate in this colder weather....check.
paint will run itself out......check.....now i need a compressor, gun, paint......oh yeah and a Job!

looks real good.

if i may throw a name suggestion out.....the "Lemon Drop Chop" or adapt to a new kungFu move.

Rick get to work......

Daniel

Thnks for the reply. Years ago, my Dad would paint cars in the driveway - used an alkyd enamel. I can remember following him around and picking bugs out of the wet aint with tweezers. This urethane flows very nicely. We planned on shooting it at first light when the wind was calmest and the bubs still grounded but - and I can;t believe I am saying this, it was too cold to spray. We had to wait till the surface of the car was above 65*. We could have used a "colder" reducer but I do not think it would have flowed out as well.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by kwagner:

If it didn't have the aero nose, I'd go with lemon wedge. Since it does, I'd go with lemon drop. Keep up the good work

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right - if it had the 87/88 coupe nose, it would definitely be a "wedge"
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
What about "Yellow Rose of Texas"

Very nice job by the way

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |
4.9 ongoing project

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Very nice job by the way

I like this one
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Very nice job by the way

I think you have a winner there. I can see personalized plates "YRT"...........
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Not much to report today although the car looks better today than yesterday! Jeff was going to come over and we were going to sand and paint the runs but he was a no show - Maybe he got caught pushing that 3800 a little too hard and he is in captivity?

I spent the day cleaning out the garage! After 4 motor swaps, several exhaust jobs, mock ups, axle building practice, etc. there were a lot of extra unused pieces and parts piled up on every flat surface available. I managed to get it all organized and put away out in the shed out back. The Fiero Barn is now ready for the next project. As soon as we have the "Yellow Rose of Texas" finished, I will be bringing in the V8 Coupe for a new motor, exhaust, alternator relocation and some other refurbishing. Most of that will ne documented in my construction zone thread related to the V8 Coupe.

More later!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Pat, I think Jeff may have inhaled to many paint fumes. He is off in la la land somewhere.

I was corraled by wifey today. Honey do's, pool cleaning, helping grade papers, etc. Drove the Mera to breakfast. As long as I am easy taking off it doesn't clunk. Poly bushings are driving me nuts when they are cold.

First tank of gas with city, and highway driving over the mountain, and even a number of on the roll "throttle excursions" netted 22.5 mpg at just over 190 miles. I still don't trust the gas gauge like the yellow GT. This one still showed about a quarter tank left when I filled up.

I thought the Monte would be the next project? Are you thinking V8 coupe because you will not need A/C for awhile?
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Plate should be "YROFTX", "TX ROSE" , "YLOROSE" , "LOWROSE", "MLOYELO"

'LowRose has a ring to it!

and it's not nice to brag about new projects....
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Pat, I think Jeff may have inhaled to many paint fumes. He is off in la la land somewhere.

I was corraled by wifey today. Honey do's, pool cleaning, helping grade papers, etc. Drove the Mera to breakfast. As long as I am easy taking off it doesn't clunk. Poly bushings are driving me nuts when they are cold.

First tank of gas with city, and highway driving over the mountain, and even a number of on the roll "throttle excursions" netted 22.5 mpg at just over 190 miles. I still don't trust the gas gauge like the yellow GT. This one still showed about a quarter tank left when I filled up.

I thought the Monte would be the next project? Are you thinking V8 coupe because you will not need A/C for awhile?

I have decided that the Monte deserves more than just a "slap" together just to get it running! Going to build a big block for it and give it the full "pro touring" makeover - going to be a long project. I am going to pull the 350 out of the Coupe and slip in the fresh 350 I have sitting on the stand here in the garage. Then I will check out the old 350 - freshen up the bottom end and put it in the 47 - I want to get the 47 up and running so I can sell it to help fund the Monte project. The V8 Coupe will become my back up driver so I can get some work done on the Formula. It really needs paint and I have some interior work to do. I want it in top shape for next spring/summer Fiero runs!

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

and it's not nice to brag about new projects....

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

Will you have time for my "Y-Pipe" in a near futur?

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |
4.9 ongoing project

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
ohhhhh......

all sing along....."The Yellow Fierose Of Texas"......" la de da da... dada......"

Fiero and rose mashed togeather.....i love playing with words
its hard to spell it to the way it sounds ......"Fierose"<------thats it "The Yellow Fi-er-rose of Texas"
phonics......hahahahaaaaaa.....
Daniel

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-18-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I just realized something. If you look really close at the pic below, you can see my reflection in the paint - actual photographic proof that I actually am doing something!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 10-18-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
A picture of your reflection taking a picture doesn't count for squat.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

A picture of your reflection taking a picture doesn't count for squat.

I tried Joe!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Another forum member asked for the dimensions of my cradle cart so I thought I'd post it up here for anyone else that is interested. I have to be honest and say that this was originally built to set the cab of my 47 Chevy truck on so I could move it around the garage while I worked on it. It turned out to be perfect to sit a Fiero cradle on and is heavy duty enough to hold a fully loaded cradle (engine/trans/suspension, etc). Disclaimer - I am not a structural engineer and in no way guarantee that this will hold up the entire weight of a fully loaded cradle. Buld it at your own risk. However, I have had 4 - 2.8/3.4 fully loaded cradles, 2 - 4.9's and a 3800 SC on this one. It has not failed and it rolls around very easy in my garage and slopped driveway.

The measurements on the pics may be too small to make out. From this view, the frame is 36" wide and 15" tall. The 2X6 on top is 42". There is a 1.5" X 1.5" angle iron welded to the top of each leg to bolt the 2X6 to. With the casters and 2X6, it sits the cradle at the perfect height to work out of a chair!

In this view, the frame is 34" wide.

It was built out of 2X3 thin wall square tube. 2X2 may be heavy enough but it may need some gussets or cross braces.

If I were to build it again, I would use larger diameter all steel casters and each would be of the swivel type. This one has a set of fixed wheels and it would be alot more manueverable with 4 swivels vs. 2. My plan is to cut these off and upgrade it. I also want to build a "removable" shelf for the bottom - it needs a place to toss tools, hold a drain bucket, etc. Another idea would be to make the legs removable for easier storage. As you can see - this one needs a paint job.

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I have decided that the Monte deserves more than just a "slap" together just to get it running! Going to build a big block for it and give it the full "pro touring" makeover - going to be a long project. I am going to pull the 350 out of the Coupe and slip in the fresh 350 I have sitting on the stand here in the garage. Then I will check out the old 350 - freshen up the bottom end and put it in the 47 - I want to get the 47 up and running so I can sell it to help fund the Monte project. The V8 Coupe will become my back up driver so I can get some work done on the Formula. It really needs paint and I have some interior work to do. I want it in top shape for next spring/summer Fiero runs!

Sound nice Pat! I like the big block Monte idea. I happen to know where one is languishing away and will probably never get used. I think the V8 coupe would make a great winter driver. Maybe there is time for one more New Mexico Fiero Run in our less than pristine cars before the holidays. I just need to fix whatever is clunking before I go too far, and replace the front tires.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
For your Information
and a bump up!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item27b5bcd63d

Dan-
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 10-22-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

For your Information
and a bump up!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item27b5bcd63d

Dan-
Mera X

Thanks Dan,

Wondering what his reserve is? It is a very nice example of the XTC. Someday ours will be that nice!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Had a little Fiero traffic here today!

Jeff came buy to do some work on the Bus!

Prepped some areas for repaint but it was a little too windy to paint. Will try and finish it up tomorrow!

Rick came by to troubleshoot some issues on the Mera!

I like a driveway filled with Red Fiero's

The Mera engine bay is looking good!

Found the source of the "clunk". Seems the stock dog bone bolts are too small a diameter for the aftermarket poly dog bone. We used my Formula for reference and found that mine was the same way - allowing the motor to move and clunk against the bolt. We went to Lowes and picked up some slightly larger diameter - 7/16 - bolts and nuts and installed them - tightened up the dog bone(s) and the clunk(s) went away!

I even got a pic of the guys working on MY car!

I told Rick he could leave the Mera in my garage and I'd keep her exercized and he just complained that he would have to walk home. I offered to take him home and the next thing I knew, I saw Mera taillights! I don't think he trusts me!

More later!

Pat

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Pat, how is the Forumula now the bolts have been replaced on the dogbone? Mine is doing much better. I trust you with the Mera, but I did not want your wife to think you were bringing another car home. Look what happened to Phil!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Pat, how is the Forumula now the bolts have been replaced on the dogbone? Mine is doing much better. I trust you with the Mera, but I did not want your wife to think you were bringing another car home. Look what happened to Phil!

Hey Rick,,,,,,

I can't believe how much smoother the Formula is with the motor tied down. Those larger bolts made a big difference. You are right about bringing another car home - I'd have to go live in the shed out back. I could not take a "Fiero" time out like Phil!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Update on the El Paso Fiero Fest.

Uh Oh! What could this mean?

Pulled the V8 Coupe around into the garage and started the engine removal. I already have a "build" thread over in the Construction Zone so from here forward, any updates on the Coupe will be posted there.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000108-11.html

No progress on the Bus today - very windy and useasonably cold here today.

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 10-23-2010).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
You know I can read, right?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

You know I can read, right?

Hee hee hee....snicker snicker! You have too many Fiero's now as it is. You don't need another one!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock