Started on: 09-05-2010 01:22 AM
Replies: 283
Last post by: DMendez7 on 09-10-2011 02:20 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Got a little bit done yesterday. Was too tuckered out last night to post up these pics.

The paitient is ready Doctor!

Looks like somone is taking a Union Nap!

If we put a widjit arm on the maniform and paint the muffler bearing, I think you will get another 900 HP!

Where does this go?

Clean and Shine!

What have I done?

Eanie meanie minie moe!

Who's the wise guy that brought the Vette to the Fiero party? His license plate cover says "My other car is a Fiero"

More later!

Pat

IOP2

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 09-12-2010).]

IP: Logged
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Wow....lots of progress guys! Make sure you polish everything well.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Shhhh.....that car that looks like a Corvette is the secret new "Fieroette" body kit!!!
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Looking good!
I got a line in my driveway now...

My wife's dad dropped off his 93 blazer for a tune up,
The "SPRAY" is patiently waiting..
this 88 is waiting on a clutch,

You guys wanna head up here for a few days?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Looking good!
I got a line in my driveway now...

My wife's dad dropped off his 93 blazer for a tune up,
The "SPRAY" is patiently waiting..
this 88 is waiting on a clutch,

You guys wanna head up here for a few days?

Are you buying the red enchiladas made with blue corn tortillas? I could be tempted.........
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Only if you leave your whip and bullhorn at home.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Yeah....no union breaks, no enchiladas. Very simple.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I need a "Union Break"! Yesterday, I was told to pick up a water pump for the 3.4. So off I go in my trusty 68 El Camino to get the necessary items for the day.

After arriving at the fest, I find the Camino wants a water pump too! Apparently it is a little jealous of the attention I have been paying to a certain red car. I promised the el camino that after "Project Merrari" is back on the road, it will be moved to the front of the line.

We busted out tails yesterday and forgot to take pictures. A big thanks to Pat and Jeff. 'They were on a roll yesterday. No whips, no bullhorn, just a welll oiled team that got things done.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

We busted out tails yesterday . A big whip, bullhorn, and a welll oiled team that got things done.

Fixed it for ya....

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Fixed it for ya....

Not quite done but getting very close. I will let Pat do the narrative update.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-13-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
After yesterday's work, I finally got out of bed.......

No pics from yesterday's (we had a good rythym going - no time to stop for pics) work but we did get a lot done plus we had the bonus of installing a water pump on Rick's 68 Camino! That's how it goes with old hot rods..... Hope the Vettiero does not get the urge to "punish" you! Keep it up and I'll have all your cars over here.......lol!

We are probably an hours worth of work away from getting the motor back in the Mera. Just a few little things left to finish up and we can get back on the road. I'll take more pics on Thursday as we finish it up. Once the Mera is done, the Bus comes back in for it's "swap" and then the Fiero projects will be moving to the back of the line for a few weeks. Stay tuned.

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
After yesterday's work, I finally got out of bed.......

I feel you pain.....guess getting older does sorta sneak up on you. I still had a great time wrenching. It's theraputic for me after dealing with my job.

Wifey says, "Why don't you sell all those cars you have to work on and buy yourself a new Corvette". She just doesn't understand.......

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Wifey says, "Why don't you sell all those cars you have to work on and buy yourself a new Corvette". She just doesn't understand.......

My wife would only say that ONE time! She knows better. I'd have a Z06 in the garage if I had to move the Fieros with a bulldozer.

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

My wife would only say that ONE time! She knows better. I'd have a Z06 in the garage if I had to move the Fieros with a bulldozer.

Just tell me what color and option package you want, and I will submit the order. How about one of the 500 "Carbon Edition Z06's" that will be produced this year. I still might be able to get you one. And, you will have change back from your $100,000 bill ! Or, I can arrange "easy financing"

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-13-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Got the 3.4 ready to install in the car and then got it installed! Plus fixed a leaking H20 pump on a 69 SS El Camino! Plus resuced my youngest son and the XTC! Got a lot done today.

Ready to stuff!

A little engine bay clean up and adjusted the torsion springs:

Lower the car - raise the motor!

Stuffed!

After it was in, Rick had some things to go take care of. Jeff and I hung out and tinkered a little longer. Got the underside buttoned up - except for a small AC line bracket that is hiding really good somewhere in my garage. All the wiring under neath, the coolant hoses hooked up, all the suspension is torqued, sway bar links reinstalled, brakes and ebrakes reinstalled and the rear tires on.

We were getting ready to start reinstalling the tail pipes when I got a call from CJ. He told me that the XTC temp gauge went to 260 and he had smoke everywhere then the oil light came on and the car died. Said he was sitting in a left turn lane at one of the busiest intersections in El Paso! Jeff and I jumped in the Durango and headed out. Once we got to him, we had to push the car across 3 lanes of traffic to a gas station on the right side of the road. Let me say this - Some El Paso people need lead poisoning (45 Cal Lead)! Once we got the car into the parking lot, we assessed the damage. Of course I had already jumped to the worse conclusion. Once we got the straight story out of the boy, we figured out that his heater core had failed - the "smoke" was steam, the oil light was on because he shut the car off then turned the key on so the fan would run.

We clamped off the 2 heater hoses at the front firewall, filled her up with water and headed home. Within 2 blocks, the temp gauge started to rise. It hit about 220 pretty quick and I was thinking the worse. Then all of the sudden, it dropped to 160/180 and stayed there all the way home - about 8 miles. Must have been an air bubble or the t stat opened. This car has ran "hot" even when the Duke was in it. I'm wondering now if the heater core has been leaking all this time - sucking air and maybe leaking too - never noticed the tell tale wet floor. The boy says he has been smelling that "funny" smell for awhile! Could be a clue huh?

Looks like the Fiero fun never ends - now I get to spend half the day tomorrow working on the XTC! Should have the Mera finished tomorrow early. All that's left is some electrical items, the heater hose, battery, throttle and cruise cables and fill her with coolant.

Stay tuned!

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
4.9's are dropping like flies! Mine is out of commission for at least another week. I got three cars ahead of it, and I'd get beat about the head and shoulders if I cut in line!

The 3.4 is looking good! Don't forget the video....

I'll wait until you are sitting down to introduce you to my next big project. It's a doozy.
You know anything about boats?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Hey you guys! I am not even there and you are still working.........don't forget the Union Breaks!
Don't want to get us in trouble. Buy the way, I am an expert on Fiero heater cores.....Jeff is my witness.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-17-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

4.9's are dropping like flies! Mine is out of commission for at least another week. I got three cars ahead of it, and I'd get beat about the head and shoulders if I cut in line!

The 3.4 is looking good! Don't forget the video....

I'll wait until you are sitting down to introduce you to my next big project. It's a doozy.
You know anything about boats?

Boats.......hmmmmm.....They are not too practical in El Paso, come in all sizes, and none have Fiero engines as far as I know.

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Boats.......hmmmmm.....They are not too practical in El Paso, come in all sizes, and none have Fiero engines as far as I know.

I didn't say it had anything to do with water! Let's just say I could stick my 88 GT in the trunk in case I run out of gas.....
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Well, SBCs are used in boats and can be installed in a Fiero.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Man I sure wish you guys where closer....I could keep yall busy for a while on projects....Have to say yall that hands down yall are the most hands on club that I have seen....Sure wish some of that would rub off on our group...>I can't even get them to come over and change the oil in my car...

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
We have been on a roll recently. Unfortunately, I am stuck at work today and tomorrow.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
HEY!

Had to knock off early to go to a football game we won 56 to 2! Anyway, we tinkered a little today but did not do much on the Mera - ordered a heater core for the XTC and sat in the lawn chairs in front of the Swamp cooler. We did get the tips welded on and did a little wiring - hooked up the slave cylinder and installed the shift and select cables. Made a run to Harbor Frieght (I need one of thier 2 ton lo pro floor jack bu won;t be on sale till October). Took the rear wheels off and on and off and then back on! First time was to make room for my fat head to weld the tips, second time was to make sure that we torqued the axle nuts ( at least we remembered to recheck them)! It's very close to being done now. I think we will wait til Rick can join us to finish it off.

Stephen,

I'll be in Dallas on Monday and I would come change your oil but I have to drive over to Texarkana. May be back in the Dallas area Tuesday evening for the rest of the week. I'll keep you posted.

Phil,

Did you pick up a land yaht?

More pics and video when we fire it up!

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I'm toying with the idea of something different. All these broken fieros around the yard is making me depressed!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

I'm toying with the idea of something different. All these broken fieros around the yard is making me depressed!

Oh.....that kind of boat. The Fiero just might fit in the trunk. What is is with you and these primer gray vehicles? I don't think that motor will fit in a Fiero though.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Oh. it'll fit alright.

The primer is kind of a trend for me lately!

(got the 4.9 back in service. Stupid trans cooler line clamp decided it was tired of working....)
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I want that motor out of that Cad for my 47! Or, Phil could just come buy my 47 and take it home then stuff that 500 in the truck!

As for the Mera, nothing new to report. We had good intentions this morning but just could not get going. We "supervised" CJ as he swapped out the heater core in the XTC. Proud of him - it took him about an hour and a half - start to finish and he did it pretty much all on his own. Tomorrow morning we will do some repair work on the passenger door of the XTC and Rick is coming over to finish up his Mera.

This afternoon, I went to Alamogordo with Mrs Katatak to see some Hot Air Baloons and go to a Wine Fest. As we weere motoring around Alamogordo, I ran across a clean looking white GT. Not sure the year but I drove by it twice looking for a for sale sign. Lots of weeds under it and it had a flat rear tire - looked like it has been sitting for awhile. I took a pic - i'll post it tomorrow. Als went by the Chvey Dealership and they had one of the bright Green Camaros on the lot - no chance for a pic but that color sure grabs attention. And because I was in a Red Fiero, I had some White wine.... More tomorrow!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Update!

Well we got after it pretty hard today - what we thought would be an hout or two of finish work turned into a 10 hour day. When we fired it up the first time, we had a big vac leak at the EGR Tube. We had a aftermarket flexi one on the other motor so Rick swapped it over. Fired it up and we got it sealed on the EGR end but still leaked on the manifold side. Plus we gained a leak on the TB? After some fiddling, we finally got it to seal and the motor runs very smooth. After we got it burped and put the decklid on it, Rick decided we should put a new battery in it. The old one started the 2.8 just fine but it had a hard time cranking the 3.4 over. 1st we thought the timing was off but after checking it, it was rock steady at 10. After changing the battery (Optima Red Top), no more start issues - she fires right up. As of this post, he has about 50 plus miles on it. No overheating issues, no noises, drives smooth and most importantly, has great power and moves the Mera along very well. I took the car for a spin and was very impressed with the power from the 3.4 - pulled hard thru 5k and hit 90 mph pretty quickly. Looks like another good swap is complete.

While the Mera was being finished up, CJ had some work to do on the XTC. All the fastners holding the Passenger door skin on were goofy so he decided it was time to fix it. Plus the opener rod came off the outer handle so it was a good time to tear into it. Another XTC project completed by the 17 year old! He is turning out to be a pretty good Fiero mechanic.

The usual Sunday Fiero Fest crowd!

Door Skinned!

Preping the skin!

You can see here how far off the mount holes were - new holes are outlined:

EGR Tube repair:

Buttoned up and running smooth!

Heading for home!

I have some video of it running but it's too late to download. I'll post it later in the week. Next weekend, The Bus project begins (or continues?).

Stay tuned!

Pat
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I see someone taking the requisite union break in one of the pics! Need an extra set of hands to get in the way next weekend?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
A big thanks to Pat and Jeff. Also Pat's wonderful wife for fixing us a great dinner. She kept the team alive.

All I can say is WOW! I did not expect that much difference from the 3.4 swap. Especially because of the additional weight of the Mera body work. I was blown away by the easy power and torque. The Mera now gets with the program. The car feels much stronger than my great running yellow 88 GT. It is too easy to be going quickly very fast. This engine must have some additonal tricks inside it, as the motor runs too good for a stocker. I don't know what West Coast Fiero did, but I like it. Fully warm the engine idles with 40 psi oil pressure and cruises with 60 psi. The Mera can now easily accelerate in 5th gear. No downshift necessary to pass someone.

Speaking of the transmission, I can now believe it only had 300 miles on it. To quote Pat, "This transmisson shifts like buttah". All we did is fill it up with fresh Synchromesh and paint the case. The 3.4 and Getrag is a really nice combination. I am looking foreward to doing some more detail work on the Mera, and taking it for lots of long drives. I am one happy camper!

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-20-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

I see someone taking the requisite union break in one of the pics! Need an extra set of hands to get in the way next weekend?

Why yes we do - it will be a mad dash to get the Bus running again - of course we will be taking all required Union breaks.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

A big thanks to Pat and Jeff. Also Pat's wonderful wife for fixing us a great dinner. She kept the team alive.

All I can say is WOW! I did not expect that much difference from the 3.4 swap. Especially because of the additional weight of the Mera body work. I was blown away by the easy power and torque. The Mera now gets with the program. The car feels much stronger than my great running yellow 88 GT. It is too easy to be going quickly very fast. This engine must have some additonal tricks inside it, as the motor runs too good for a stocker. I don't know what West Coast Fiero did, but I like it. Fully warm the engine idles with 40 psi oil pressure and cruises with 60 psi. The Mera can now easily accelerate in 5th gear. No downshift necessary to pass someone.

Speaking of the transmission, I can now believe it only had 300 miles on it. To quote Pat, "This transmisson shifts like buttah". All we did is fill it up with fresh Synchromesh and paint the case. The 3.4 and Getrag is a really nice combination. I am looking foreward to doing some more detail work on the Mera, and taking it for lots of long drives. I am one happy camper!

Another satisfied transplant patient - glad I could help Rick. Not everyone in Fiero land get's to play with a Mera! I am sold on the 3.4 as well.

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

I have to work next Saturday, so you are the "pinch" wrencher!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Man I told you that you would be able to tell the differance with the 3.4..>Glad it all turned out well....

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Man I told you that you would be able to tell the differance with the 3.4..>Glad it all turned out well....

Yeah...I was being overly conservative in my expectations. I have read so many posts about the 3.4 and did not expect a whole lot of improvement. The Mera now has plenty of power for me with the 5-speed. Hopefully the fuel economy will be good too because of the intake and exhaust mods. It is also has a more agressive exhaust note even though it is running thru the stock muffer and C6 exhaust tips. Plus I get to keep the stock motor appearance which I really like for this car. I will post pics after it is all detailed. Pat has a video of the motor running. I have not seen it yet but he will post it when he gets back in town.

Here is a poll:

One friend says to leave the "Ferrari" exposed on the engine. It is done very nicely and in great condition. However, my car is completely marked as a Mera and I intend to keep it that way. I also picked up a "Mera" intake plate from Rodney (one of his last two). I would like to install it to keep the Mera theme going. Please cast your vote.

I am torn between keeping the Mera intake plate a pristine collectors piece, or installing it on the intake and taking a chance on it being weathered. Does any one make a high temp/solvent proof matte clear that I could use to "seal" the plate and protect it a little better?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 09-22-2010).]

DMendez7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post
Glad to see there's some Fiero activity here in the el paso area!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
The next phase of the El Paso Fiero Fest has begun!

Not exactly sure where this one is going but we got started on it today. After cleaning the garage and reorganizing all the tools, we got the Bus back in. Got her up in the air and dropped the cradle. Looked at some different paint schemes, planned some body work and called it a night!

This will be the 4th Fiero engine swap this year and the 3rd in the last 6 weeks (hopefully the last for a few months)!

Not sure what was going on with my camera but I like the "glow" of the plate and the rear reflector.

More tomorrow!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 09-24-2010).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
That plate was only a month old when you got it. Pretty slick, huh?
How many of my plates you got in your garage now?
I still have the old Bus plates here somewhere....
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Update!

Got a late start today and still managed to get the motor bolted back to the trans and everything back on the cradle. Just have the AC comp to mount and it's ready to go back in. Going to do some "custom" exhaust work then she should be ready to fire up. Once the motor is done, then the body work begins. No pics today - once we got started ther was no letting up.

More tomorrow!

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
What kinda body work?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock