Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  FORD SHO + Fiero + Redneck = Redneck dune buggy (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
FORD SHO + Fiero + Redneck = Redneck dune buggy by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 08-15-2010 10:20 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Tomski on 05-21-2011 01:38 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
(This is not my mine)]

FORD SHO + Fiero + Redneck = Redneck dune buggy

Copied from : http://bullit.ditttos.com/s...o-redneck-dune-buggy

Initial Startup, running in the parking lot by my shop. A few donuts, a few drifts and some straight line runs. A piss poor attempt to laying a patch! lol My friends and I have spent over 400 hours building this car. It is caged with race seats and harness belts. I plated the chassis and completely rebuilt the back end of the frame to suit my driving needs! I used the subframe from the Taurus SHO and modified it to fit the Fiero. I also plated the subframe and added a 1/2″ thick aluminum skidplate! This baby is built to drive the piss out of it! It will be interesting when I start running exotic blends of fuel, as I am only starting off with some 87 Octane fuel to start with here. More to come in time…. I have an MTX and a auto Tranny I am willing to sell!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AWDimpreza-L

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimpreza-LSend a Private Message to AWDimpreza-LDirect Link to This Post
I loved my SHO, I think it would be a perfect engine for a fiero, even on the street, they SCREAM, and take metric **** tons of abuse.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
sigh another wrecked fiero...

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I actuley kind of like it.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what was leaking, trans or engine ?
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post
A dream come true!
This is my engine swap plan when i finally get around to buying a fiero.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tomski:

A dream come true!
This is my engine swap plan when i finally get around to buying a fiero.

Somehow I knew you'd find this thread.
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Somehow I knew you'd find this thread.

Ah you know me too well n3m
greenfiero1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenfiero1986Send a Private Message to greenfiero1986Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AWDimpreza-L:

I loved my SHO, I think it would be a perfect engine for a fiero, even on the street, they SCREAM, and take metric **** tons of abuse.

Put an SHO and a Grand Prix GTP in a straight line and the GTP will smoke it, love the 3800 SC no wonder so many people put them in Fieros.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Not sure why you need an SHO engine to do doughnuts in dirt parking lots. A stock Fiero engine can do that. And I absolutely LOVE the negative rear wheel camber.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by greenfiero1986:

Put an SHO and a Grand Prix GTP in a straight line and the GTP will smoke it, love the 3800 SC no wonder so many people put them in Fieros.

I wouldent be to sure of that. Those SHO motors are built on insanity. Its a shame they used them in such a boat of a car in something like a fiero it would be unstopable.. Especially if it was the V8.

PFF
System Bot
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
You know you are a redneck when you put 400 hours(!) and a v8 engine in a car and it performs the same as its stock counterpart. I watched like 2 minutes, I don't know what's worse a trike Fiero or that.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I wouldent be to sure of that. Those SHO motors are built on insanity. Its a shame they used them in such a boat of a car in something like a fiero it would be unstopable.. Especially if it was the V8.

It's the earlier version, 220 HP is a bit short of insanity.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

You know you are a redneck when you put 400 hours(!) and a v8 engine in a car and it performs the same as its stock counterpart. I watched like 2 minutes, I don't know what's worse a trike Fiero or that.

The trike. Way worse.

I liked it. It looks like a fun toy. Yes, another Fiero is gone but it most likely wasn't a good one anyway. The sad truth is, a Fiero is good but new mid-engine cars like the Boxter S or Cayman S are light-years better. They are still being made too. By the time I wear my Fiero out, a Porsche should be in my budget.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

This depends on years. It would be close stock to stock with 3800S/C vs 3.4 DOHC V8. I drove a V8 SHO as a daily driver for a year or so, that thing was no slouch. Yes you can mod the 3800 to be much more powerful, that isn't my point here.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

This depends on years. It would be close stock to stock with 3800S/C vs 3.4 DOHC V8. I drove a V8 SHO as a daily driver for a year or so, that thing was no slouch. Yes you can mod the 3800 to be much more powerful, that isn't my point here.

I'm sure you could add a turbo to the SHO motors also. The intake and heads on those were designed to flow real well if memory serves. I believe the V6 SHOs intake and heads flowed so well Ford knocked down the displacement of the block so it wouldn't out excelerate the 5.0 Mustang of the era. Yamaha did a good job on that engine (well the intake part, the block was all Ford, however I'm not sure if the V8 SHO was all Yamaha or not).

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-18-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I'm sure you could add a turbo to the SHO motors also. The intake and heads on those were designed to flow real well if memory serves. I believe the V6 SHOs intake and heads flowed so well Ford knocked down the displacement of the block so it wouldn't out excelerate the 5.0 Mustang of the era. Yamaha did a good job on that engine (well the intake part, the block was all Ford, however I'm not sure if the V8 SHO was all Yamaha or not).

Yes you could, tuning would be a real pain though if I remember correctly. The V8 SHO engine was all Yamaha designed and built, only problem with those is the cam gear was a press on fit and was infamous for coming off the chain and killing the motor. If you welded it, that thing would last for a damn long time, it uses a girdle on the bottom and and has 6 bolts mains stock. A racing motor pretty much. Throw a big turbo on it and get it tuned correctly, and you have a 3800 killer. Only thing holding you back is the 4-speed automatic, the AX4N. The V8's eat those up so fast.
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Yamaha designed the entire motor for the V6 SHO's

Yes you could, tuning would be a real pain though if I remember correctly. The V8 SHO engine was all Yamaha designed and built, only problem with those is the cam gear was a press on fit and was infamous for coming off the chain and killing the motor. If you welded it, that thing would last for a damn long time, it uses a girdle on the bottom and and has 6 bolts mains stock. A racing motor pretty much. Throw a big turbo on it and get it tuned correctly, and you have a 3800 killer. Only thing holding you back is the 4-speed automatic, the AX4N. The V8's eat those up so fast.

The V8 SHO was a duratec v6 with 2 extra cylinders. Nothing about the 3rd gens were Yamaha. Tuning is a B**** with either of these
motors also but there are a few guys out there running turbos or superchargers on both of these motors. I was thinking a turbo 6 for my
imaginary fiero
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Tomski

152 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Came across this a few minutes ago. Mid engined Ford prototype!

http://www.contour.org/ceg-...-Ford-s-Vette-beater
AWDimpreza-L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimpreza-LSend a Private Message to AWDimpreza-LDirect Link to This Post

Correct, but only if its a drag race, if it was a 30 roll, its all SHO, one of my wife's childhood freinds had a GTP when I had my sho, we would do some highway rolls and I would stomp his ass every time, his car was almost new, and mine was a 219K mile $800 SHO. (this was a 1991, the lighest year, with the police package)
dhobbs84sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dhobbs84scSend a Private Message to dhobbs84scDirect Link to This Post

The V8 SHO was a duratec v6 with 2 extra cylinders. Nothing about the 3rd gens were Yamaha. Tuning is a B**** with either of these
motors also but there are a few guys out there running turbos or superchargers on both of these motors. I was thinking a turbo 6 for my
imaginary fiero

I could have sworn that the 3.4 v8 that was in the turtle SHOs was an entirely yamaha designed motor... actually Im quite sure of it because I had a 99 with 33k and one of the cams broke.. only place I could find a replacement was the ford dealership. Obviously that cars is gone now because the cam was $450 with my discount. I stood around and talked to the guy (about a year before the new 5.0s came out) and he said the cam was a very common problem and that the new 5.0 were that same yamaha design. only 150 times better lol. Now dont hate me if this is wrong. Its mostly hear say cause I'm no ford guy :P
I'd say if you were gonna build an old school tourtus go with the duratec. or the v6 sho those were WAYY more fun then the v8s no doubt! But still... no fiero.
PFF
System Bot
dhobbs84sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dhobbs84scSend a Private Message to dhobbs84scDirect Link to This Post
"The Ford SHO V8 engine [super high output] was designed and built by Ford Motor Company in conjunction with Yamaha Motor Corporation for use in the 1996 Ford Taurus SHO. It was based on the successful Ford Duratec engine rather than its predecessor, the compact Ford SHO V6 engine developed by Yamaha for the 1989 Taurus SHO. The engine was retired in 1999 when production of the third-generation Taurus SHO ended."
(wiki)

your right haha. dont doubt a man on his own car!!

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Yamaha designed the entire motor for the V6 SHO's

Umm...

The first generation SHO was produced from 1989 through 1991. It was the only Taurus available with a manual transmission, with no option for an automatic. The exotic dual-overhead cam (DOHC) 3.0L V6 engine was a Ford block that was shipped to Yamaha where it was outfitted with Yamaha heads and a high-performance unequal length runner intake manifold, among other performance additions. It's impressive 220 horsepower and 200ft-lbf of torque garnered a 0-60mph time of 6.7 seconds, 15.1 second quarter-mile times, and a tested top speed of 143 mph. In 1991 the SHO Plus package was added which offered changed exterior stying including a plastic "Power Bulge" hood, along with many other upgrades, and was available in white or a 1991 exclusive Jade Green color.

And yet...

The Heart of the SHO
The Heart of every SHO lies under the hood. Every manual (MTX) SHO was outfitted with a Yamaha designed 3.0 DOHC V6. Originally, Ford asked Yamaha to use the block and internals from their 3.0 Vulcan motor, like those found in the base model Taurus GL. However, once Yamaha designed and built the DOHC heads, it was clear that the Vulcan block could not handle the 7000 RPM factory redline and high horsepower characteristics the motor was destined to have. So Yamaha went ahead and built Ford an entire engine, based on the Vulcan block.

I wonder which way it actually went?

Sounds like you may be correct and it was a all Yamaha motor based off the Ford block, or was it a Ford block with upgraded internals to allow the 7k redline?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-18-2011).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Damn Tom, I feel bad. I can tell that dusty ol' notitle'd gal still has a special place in your heart. Lol
greenfiero1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenfiero1986Send a Private Message to greenfiero1986Direct Link to This Post

I mean the earlier 220 hp SHO's vs the 97-03 GTP
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

I wonder which way it actually went?

Sounds like you may be correct and it was a all Yamaha motor based off the Ford block, or was it a Ford block with upgraded internals to allow the 7k redline?

This is one of the biggest debates in the Ford world, I would like to believe that Yamaha designed the whole thing.
Yes N3M, that car will linger in my thoughts forever
And no she wasn't dusty! I kept her clean long after that temp title ran out :P

[This message has been edited by Tomski (edited 05-18-2011).]

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Tomski

152 posts
Member since Apr 2011

So many people have done the swap it just doesn't excite me greenfiero. Don't get me wrong, the GTP's are quick but I wouldn't own one.
Theres so many of them and they don't give me the "sleeper" vibe which is what I look for in 4door performance.
chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

The trike. Way worse.

I liked it. It looks like a fun toy. Yes, another Fiero is gone but it most likely wasn't a good one anyway. The sad truth is, a Fiero is good but new mid-engine cars like the Boxter S or Cayman S are light-years better. They are still being made too. By the time I wear my Fiero out, a Porsche should be in my budget.

No offense, but only thing worse than a Fiero Trike is a huge waste of money sports car. Unless you seriously just like the body style (in my opinion girlish), there's no reason to dump that much money on a car that can be built faster for a 1/4 of the money and look cooler.

I mean, I may be biased, but in order to overcome what a 3800SC fiero is capable of, don't you have to spend 80,000$+ on the Porsche?
Their 600hp Porsche is like over 200,000$ right? I mean yeah it's 10-11 second car. But for that much money... I dono. I'd rather just beef the crap out of something else.

Something like this Saturn...
http://www.streetfire.net/v...-vs-camaro_61141.htm
Go to ricekiller meets here and race the viper owners for money...
*Sigh* those would be the days...

So many people have done the swap it just doesn't excite me greenfiero. Don't get me wrong, the GTP's are quick but I wouldn't own one.
Theres so many of them and they don't give me the "sleeper" vibe which is what I look for in 4door performance.

What 4door do you own now? Or would you like to own?

[This message has been edited by chriswf (edited 05-19-2011).]

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post
Chriswf, I had a 94 Taurus SHO for about 4 months and it was probably the most fun I've had in a car. I own a Fiesta right now.
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Chriswf, I had a 94 Taurus SHO for about 4 months and it was probably the most fun I've had in a car. I own a Fiesta right now.

The little FEH RAH RI! It holds my smoke grenades and all!
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

The little FEH RAH RI! It holds my smoke grenades and all!

They're good for those car chases through the mall
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I met my first SHO when they came out in mid 90s (?) I was on the interstate in my AMG Mercedes SL. I was cruising pretty good and saw this ' Taurus ' gaining on me in the fast lane. I gave it some gas to get away from him and he kept coming. pretty soon we were going side by side at like 130 mph. Needless to say, surprised the hell out of me. I looked it up when I got home to see WTH was up with it. Pretty respectable car as I see it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

imaginary fiero

Yes there was. My 97 SHO had a Yamaha emblem on the front bumper.
chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfDirect Link to This Post

The SHO fiesta?
That'd be sweet if so. I saw Leno's SHO fiesta, looked mean as hell! I liked the way the rear was wider.

There's a SHO Taurus up the street where I live now. Hasn't moved in years. There's a regular Taurus here too, the guy put all kinds of cosmetic stuff on (hood scoop, black wheels, low wing, tint etc), that woulda looked cooler and more purposeful on the SHO. But the cosmetic Taurus is actually driven daily...

Edit: Here's the pic of Leno's, which makes me uber jealous since I like rarity in cars more than any other trait.
If there was 1 school bus in the world, I'd want it simply b/c no one else has one...

[This message has been edited by chriswf (edited 05-19-2011).]

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Yes there was. My 97 SHO had a Yamaha emblem on the front bumper.

Nuh uh, the guy that makes those lives in America silly goose!
Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Tomski

152 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by chriswf:

The SHO fiesta?

I so WISH! Its one of the 2011 fiestas. love her to death. I still gotta give her a hillbilly name
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Nuh uh, the guy that makes those lives in America silly goose!

No way, really?!
Best picture I have, but its there above the Ford emblem! (that's just water under it, not leaking)

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-20-2011).]

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

No way, really?!
Best picture I have, but its there above the Ford emblem! (that's just water under it, not leaking)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

No way, really?!

Dont lie....thats transmission fluid isnt it...............

Tomski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TomskiSend a Private Message to TomskiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Dont lie....thats transmission fluid isnt it...............

Maybe if it were a first or second gen
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock