Is this a Mera, or a crappy 308 rebody? by RaptorSP
Started on: 08-11-2010 11:10 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: batousai666 on 05-06-2011 06:31 PM
RaptorSP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaptorSPSend a Private Message to RaptorSPDirect Link to This Post
So i have never seen a real mera up close, im just curious if this is one. if it is i can get it cheap and fix it up, but if it is a bad 308 rebody, ill walk away right now.

thanks! tommy

http://images.craigslist.or...86638fc663a61426.jpg
http://images.craigslist.or...2bdc85483a7a17bc.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
It's missing the backup lights on the back the Mera has. I vote rebody.
RaptorSP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaptorSPSend a Private Message to RaptorSPDirect Link to This Post
A couple things i noticed were the headlight covers werent the same and that there should be something on the door like a reflector that isnt there.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Do know that a lot of 308 rebodies were essentially molded off of a Mera, so even if it's not a real Mera it's still pretty close, as compared to other kit cars that could be molded off of who knows what. It was a good way for kit copiers to keep production costs down, since Corporate Concepts had already done all the hard work.

There are some minor variances obviously to keep costs down, but the overall body, when parked to a real Mera, probably mirrors it.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Here's a tip: that car has been for sale for a looooong time. i saw the ad probably about a year ago with the same pics ....

I can also tell you that fixing up a bad kitcar could be the most expensive thing you've ever done .... (been there)

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-12-2010).]

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Did you ever finish your rebody Paul?
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2010 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
its not a mera.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It is not a mera but what quailifies a bad 308 rebody? I think the only way you would get a poorly built one is if one was bolted onto a crashed car. Because of the mera and that rebodies were either molded off them or real thing as it is close enough on its own within 5mm that unless the panel work is too thin. Most of the replica 308s 328s look pretty good to me i cant really say have seen any bad ones only bad repairs.
RaptorSP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaptorSPSend a Private Message to RaptorSPDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

It is not a mera but what quailifies a bad 308 rebody? I think the only way you would get a poorly built one is if one was bolted onto a crashed car. Because of the mera and that rebodies were either molded off them or real thing as it is close enough on its own within 5mm that unless the panel work is too thin. Most of the replica 308s 328s look pretty good to me i cant really say have seen any bad ones only bad repairs.

well i guess your right, its just a "good" rebody has most of the details of the original car. this one lacks most of them. compare front ends. It could be perfect with some time, but its not the most exact
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
At first glance it is not a Mera. The obvious flaw is no backup lights. From the pictures provided, the mirrors do not look correct and the wheels are definately aftermarket. However, there is not enough detail in these two pictures to be absolutely certain.

Nelson
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RaptorSP:

well i guess your right, its just a "good" rebody has most of the details of the original car. this one lacks most of them. compare front ends. It could be perfect with some time, but its not the most exact

The ones that i have seen that look bad lack detail of the grill sections but that is due to just poor finishing like any body kit regardless of how bolt on it is advertised needs to be trimmed shaved built up blended some of these kit builders are so keen to get a start on the never complete the panels or line them up properly. The general kit thing that after all the time they put in the builders often give up to early and start painting long before it is due. You could spend the time to make it right but be prepared to pull everything off it to do it.

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Like Paul says, it's been around for a long time. I believe that's the car that reportedly came from the Bill Elliott museum in Dawsonville, Ga. The full size pictures did show the headlight doors to be the same. One of our members down here was searching for a Mera or 308 and we could get no reply from this seller, after numerous attempts to contact him.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im sure thats a repop. It looks like the indentation in the front nose for the Ferrari emblem is there like mine had. I dont think Meras had that. Also just by general appearance from the photos, it looks like a hack job. Mera at least when sold had pretty good fit and finish. That one looks like it was put together in the dark by a couple of blind men, lol.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
the rear deck lid says it all. Not Mera.
the Mera's have a custom alum. rear grill that is way longer than that one. plus as mentioned the lack of back-up lights........nope.
No Mera. there is a better 308 "repop" for sale with a 350 V8 for sale somewhere on the PFF for $10,000. if you got the cash.
i can find it if you want. i know of another in Chicago for low $$. i has been crashed tho. under $3,000?
later
Dan
Mera X

PS
the Meras do however have the front, nose emblem indent.
cam383rs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam383rsSend a Private Message to cam383rsDirect Link to This Post
Hi, new to this whole Mera deal, the reverse lights mainly. My '86 has no reverse lights and in the brochure for the Mera, the one pictured has no reverse lights......I'm confused.
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
cam, to our knowledge there is only one 86 prototype and it is the only one without backup lights. that we are aware of. if yours is a 86 it is probably a rebody. as the actual 86 prototype's whereabouts is known.
Mera_Cop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mera_CopSend a Private Message to Mera_CopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mera7:

cam, to our knowledge there is only one 86 prototype and it is the only one without backup lights. that we are aware of. if yours is a 86 it is probably a rebody. as the actual 86 prototype's whereabouts is known.

Mine doesn't have backup lights...
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mera_Cop:

Mine doesn't have backup lights...

peel off the blank off cover in the rear and see if they were filled (bondo) in....i have seen this done to Meras.

some people want that Ferrari look....and the reverse lights are a dead giveaway. it was planned that way from CorporateConcepts to help set the Mera apart from the Ferrari 308.

hope you find the filler back there....but there is also a line of inquiry i have presented that maybe one could Order a Mera without the backups....still waiting to prove that tho......good hunting. let your Mera fun begin.

tally-ho!!

Daniel-
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-06-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:
hope you find the filler back there....but there is also a line of inquiry i have presented that maybe one could Order a Mera without the backups....still waiting to prove that tho......good hunting. let your Mera fun begin.

I doubt one could order without any backup lights, as it is required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to have at least 1 backup light.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I doubt one could order without any backup lights, as it is required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to have at least 1 backup light.

yeah so they (Corporate Concepts) used the Carrello Ferrari ambers with the center white as a back up light. it is this way on the 1986 Mera prototype and rumored to be the same with my Mera and Mera #7006....so its a theroy in the works.

Daniel

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock