Started on: 07-23-2010 06:20 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: jaskispyder on 02-11-2011 01:53 PM
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
Just found this on local craigslist...

http://lansing.craigslist.org/ctd/1853353173.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
if only i had the money ;/
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Turbo 3.8 and that car would be so much fun, I'd go out to cruise every Friday night. American Graffiti 2010 style.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
i would love to have this car but it's in Mi., rust issues?

dang... i got to sell my '88GT to get this car.

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
With only 44k on the clock, I serously doubt it was driven much in the winter! Looks to be in very nice shape. Wish it was closer - I'd really like to see it in person.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Same here....I've never seen a Zimmer in the flesh.
bowrapennocks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
If it is non-rusty, the price is right. There are three of those beasts in my area. One sold a few months back for about $25K. It had 4K miles on it and looks like new....it was at a dealer north of Seattle. There is one at the LeMay car museum in Tacoma, WA.

The Zimmers had either wire wheels or wire wheel covers (do not remember which) with Zimmer logos.

[This message has been edited by bowrapennocks (edited 07-24-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the big car image that the Zimmer brings forth is directly contrary to what a Fiero is all about. Its like putting a Chrysler 300 body on a Porsche. At best this car is a curiosity. I like big cars and my daily driver is a Chrysler 300 but to drive a big wide 3600 lb Fiero is IMO pointless.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeDirect Link to This Post
Those are interesting kits. Pretty rare and yet I did a quick search of craigslist and...

there's one in St. Louis right now too...
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1840459299.html

and a set of wheels and tires...
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1836127220.html
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
I'm with you, Dennis. I just don't get it. At all.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe that the big car image that the Zimmer brings forth is directly contrary to what a Fiero is all about.

You are completely missing the point of the Zimmer Quicksilver. By the way. Zimmer is the name of the manufacturer, and the car is called the Quicksilver. Zimmer Motor cars is still in business today.

The manufacturers of the Quicksilver were not trying to make a Fiero rebody...they were making a unique car and just happened to use a Fiero space frame because there are not that many other cars out there, (if any) with a space frame.

The Quicksilver has several cool features that a stock Fiero doesn't have like:

* Power steering
* large carpeted front trunk
* separate motor cover so you can open rear trunk without dumping water on your exhaust manifold
* glove compartment
* full leather interior
* not to mention chrome bumpers

I'm not saying the Zimmer Quicksilver is for everyone, but to say it's not in the spirit of the Fiero doesn't make any sense. It's not supposed to be like a Fiero. It's supposed to be what it looks like.

The Zimmer Golden Spirit is based off a Mustang... It is also very different from what a mustang is all about...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-24-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Fiero goes to "Pimp my Ride!" To bad this one does not have the correct wheels. I wonder how long it is?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

To bad this one does not have the correct wheels.

Yeah it needs to have some Swangaz on it. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in Houston driving that before I got car jacked.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
[quote]You are completely missing the point of the Zimmer Quicksilver.{/quote]

I guess I am!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

[quote]You are completely missing the point of the Zimmer Quicksilver.{/quote]

I guess I am!

Zimmer doesn't make Quicksilvers anymore, but from their current website, their description of the point of a Zimmer is well explained.

Why Drive a Zimmer?

When looking at a 1920s or '30s classic Duesenberg, most people just love the design and style. Their mind is filled with visions of grace, grandeur and the Great Gatsby. They say, "What fun it would be to own and drive a motor car like that." Unfortunately, the realities of owning and driving a classic or antique motor car eliminate most people from ever bothering to purchase one.

The cost factor is not really the major deterrent. Although very rare classic motor cars can cost several millions of dollars, you can find nice classics in the $50,000 to $100,000 price range. But for most people, classic cars are still totally impractical. The lack of readily available parts and service is a major drawback. The lack of modern safety equipment is another problem. And let's face it, the old classics are not very comfortable to drive or ride in. Thus was born the neo-classic motor car (neo=new), the best of the old and the new together in one grand motor car: a match made in heaven.

The new ZIMMER® Golden Spirit is the finest neo-classic motor car ever manufactured. The exterior design is pure classic grandeur right out of the Great Gatsby era, handmade to the highest quality possible.

Underneath, it is all a brand new, modern Ford/Mustang or Lincoln Town Car base on the four-door sedan. You can drive into any Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer and get full service, Ford parts and warranty work. It has all the latest safety and modern engineering features available. It's a joy to drive.

So, if you are ready for a motor car that is distinctive, that sets you apart from the "pack," that says, "I've arrived," that looks classic but is new and comfortable, a ZIMMER® Golden Spirit is for you. If you are a little tired of paying $75,000 to $150,000 for a car you can't find in a lot full of Fords and Chevies, then a ZIMMER® Golden Spirit is for you.

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I was always fascinated by the Quicksilver. I can't say I love it but I don't hate it either.. It’s one of those special cars you appreciate for what they are. The price seems right for the car, I hope someone buys it and enjoys it, it's a nice piece of Fiero history. Too bad I'm poor because of my two Fiero's or else I would of considered it.

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex
Not related in any way to the FieroMontreal club

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 07-24-2010).]

VFR182

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VFR182Send a Private Message to VFR182Direct Link to This Post
interesting, thought i had seen all the fiero based vehicles. cool. looks like something from a blacksploitation film from the late 60's, i half expected superfly to be stepping out of it. very throwback.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by VFR182:

cool. looks like something from a blacksploitation film from the late 60's, i half expected superfly to be stepping out of it. very throwback.

I think that's what they were going for... in the late 80s they were building a retro late 60s, early 70s looking car.

Given that the Fiero itself is now retro, I like the idea of a retro 70s body kit. I wouldn't mind owning a Quicksilver one day. I saw one in Daytona that had a 4.9 installed. I bet that restored a lot of the sportiness to the car.

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
does anybody know the breakdown of how many were sold for each year availble?

is there a Zimmer Quicksilver registry?

i would buy that ZQ in a hearbeat but i'm scared of it because of possible rust issues being a michgan car and not being able to check it out in person.
someone want to buy my '88 T-Top Formula so i can get the ZQ.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I can't find a breakdown by year, but most estimates are that only 170 Quicksilvers were built. That makes them fairly rare, even more than the Mera.

The current Zimmer club is reported to have 30 Quicksilver members. Interestingly they sold for $55K which is a lot now, but according to the inflation calculator, that is $98,465.30 in 2009 dollars. That's in Corvette ZR-1 territory.

Zimmer has since taken down their page on the Quicksilver, but here's a snapshot of it from a Fiero club

http://gafieroclub.org/quicksilver/index.htm

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-25-2010).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
my inner pimp is crying for that car...

Last one I saw locally was in '03 at a Texas Motor Speedway auction... it had about 9k on the odometer and the opening bid was $12.5k.
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I hate to admit I've always liked the Quicksilver.

I had an opportunity to drive one about 3 years ago and was impressed with what they did to "tame" the wild Fiero. The power steering is what I remember most about it. In fact, the owner went the complete "Cadillac" route with it, removing all of the Zimmer badges (replacing them, the trunk lock & the hood ornament with Caddy stuff), swapping out the steering wheel (the air bag was inop) and seats with power ones from a Catera (that's where I got the idea for my car) and adding 17" chrome wheels from a STS (he said he had adapters made.) Looked real nice, like GM sold it as a Cadillac..... I wouldn't trade my GT for it, though.

The fact is the Quicksilver was not intended to drive or look like a stock Fiero. If I had one, I think it would take me a week before I was thinking about a 3800SC or N* swap.
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I think it would be neat to pick this up and detail/restore just for the sake of it being a novelty.

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post
Nice of that dealer in St.Louis to throw a cheep set of mags on it and then list the original wheels for sale separately for $750.00.
No wonder used car dealers get a bad rap, some deserve it!
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
same question as in the other thread.
anybody local who would be willing to go do a through checkout for me?

thanks...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Saw a Zimmer Quicksilver in the Villas NJ (near Cape May) WaWa parking lot last week. It looked pretty beat up but it was still running. A girl was driving it but I did not get a chance to speak with her. If anything that car is certainly a curosity piece. Its larger than a modern day Cadillac.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I can't find a breakdown by year, but most estimates are that only 170 Quicksilvers were built. That makes them fairly rare, even more than the Mera.

The current Zimmer club is reported to have 30 Quicksilver members. Interestingly they sold for $55K which is a lot now, but according to the inflation calculator, that is $98,465.30 in 2009 dollars. That's in Corvette ZR-1 territory.

Zimmer has since taken down their page on the Quicksilver, but here's a snapshot of it from a Fiero club

http://gafieroclub.org/quicksilver/index.htm

This car looks much better with the stock wire wheels. I really like the bumper treatment. The interior was pretty "fly" too. All I need is my "Huggy Bear" outfit!!

I just saw $55k new! Is that correct? Shoot, Meras were cheap at under $30k new.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 07-27-2010).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

I just saw $55k new! Is that correct? Shoot, Meras were cheap at under $30k new.

Yes, in 1986-ish $55K was a lot of cash. Zimmer was going for the exclusive hand built car crowd. Not the kit car or rebody route. That could also explain why only 170 were sold.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
What's up with those wheels?

But I would love to own a Quicksilver just for that huge carpeted front trunk.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

LA Zimmer on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...B%3AFSEL%3AUS%3A1123

Notice how they refuse to say its a fiero?

PFF
System Bot
SNAPPY829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
Watch out it may catch fire if they mention the word Fiero!!!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i had one out for a test drive in Palm Springs. No one mentioned it, but it has a chassis stretch. To me, it felt like it had a nice, smooth ride and also felt like a much bigger car. Does the dash look like it came from a ford or mercury car (like a 70s mustang II or a capri) ?

Jon, in case you haven't seen it, the link to the LA Zimmer posted above includes pics of the power steering in the engine compartment.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-12-2010).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
I emailed the Golden Spirit Club and got this reply:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your interest! We are not the original builders of Zimmers in the 1980s, and we only purchased the Golden Spirit, so we have little information on the Quicksilver. I do know that about 250 were built, I believe from 1984-1987, but that is about all I know of them. Also, unfortunately, the individuals we had contact with from the original Zimmer company are deceased, so there isn't anyone for me to refer me to.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Sincerely,
Ruth Zimmer Hendrick
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
Just another example of different taste. If the guy would deliver it to my house and give it to me for free (and I couldn't sell it ) I would say "no thanks!"
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Terry_w:

Just another example of different taste. If the guy would deliver it to my house and give it to me for free (and I couldn't sell it ) I would say "no thanks!"

Well It is deleted did anyone save a pic of the Boss Hogg fiero i didnt see it.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
another Zimmer Quicksilver

http://seattle.craigslist.o.../cto/2198493464.html

very nice (not that I'd own one)
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

another Zimmer Quicksilver

http://seattle.craigslist.o.../cto/2198493464.html

very nice (not that I'd own one)

Wow, that is the best I one have ever seen. I really like those. Not worth $20K I don't think, but still.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I think zimmer's are just so ugly that there cool. I'd sport one.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2011 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Damn ugly and a shame to have done that to a Fiero.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock