such a thing as a cheep Mera? by DLCLK87GT
Started on: 07-21-2010 03:48 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Rick 88 on 05-02-2011 05:26 PM
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
That pretty much sums it up. I've always wanted one but rarely do i see any under 6k, most around 10k. There was a purple one on here from CA for a couple days that sold for 3500 but i didn't have the cash then. Now i'm selling a car (02 Z24) and should have the cash but now no cheep Mera to be found. Anyway am i dreaming thinking i can find one for less than 4 or 5k?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I'll bet with some shopping, you can probably find a 308/328 kit on a fiero chassis for that price. A mera will probably not be real nice for that kind of dough.

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I found a VERY nice Mera replica a few years ago. The car had 30K original one-owner miles on it and ran perfectly. I found it via a google search for a "308 replica" and paid around $5k for it shipped half-way across the country. It was my DD for a few years before selling it to another member.

I realize that it was less valuable than a real Mera, but a great buy non the less. I am often surprised to see junk rebodies for far more. My input is to save the cash you have, dont settle and be patient. That way, you will have the funds when the right one pops up.

Good luck!
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
hey y'all. you talking Meras?i love talking Meras.
DLCLK87GT your avatar is sooooo true. super funny.
thats how i feel every fricken' time, with these damn machines. cept i wanna break the computer.

now as far as the Meras,
first, i must say as a Mera owner- i am happy that a "Good Mera" will and should run in about the $8,000-$10,000 range. sorry.
the cheapest i have seen in the last year+ is $7500.
i wanted that car sooooo bad. one State down from me too. dam. Mera #7020. i think

see, some of the value in my eyes is the Fiero Part of the car.
hopefully you get a low miles, good running engine. clean inside. may have had some work/upgrades.....poly bushings, new exhaust....ect....so a percentage of the over all price is just on a Fiero. the '88s being better as a Fiero adds even more.
so up to, say, $4000. thats fair, no?

when i got mine in from FL, it had new rear breaks both sides calipers and rotors. and the AC system looked "new".
but that will add to the sellers asking price, usually.

also with the demise of Pontiac. this may have a silver lining bonus effect. actually add to the value signifently.

Meras were, a Pontiac offered only option after all. it is to me a piece of Pontiac History. they should be included in the Pontiac "stable" if you. just like a old GTO or a G8.....when they are inducted into the "Automotive Hall of Fame".....hahahahaaaa

i feel another problem in finding a cheap stock Mera is, the Mirrors are like $1200 used, if you can find them.
the Cromodora Rims are rare (only on '88s) and are expensive. again if you can find some.
heck i have seen Mera 1 tailight sets go for a months car payment in some instances. A Nice Car, Payment!

so if you are looking for a "cheap" Mera.... other than a Mera Splash. the splash kits are the only, QuoteUnquote Cheap Meras, too me. kidding
look for a salvage Mera.....i have heard of one in HI..... they may start showing up more.

the Mera community keep getting bigger here on the PFF. so one may come up.

as mentioned above, save more money, be patient and one will come along and you will have a shot.
a friendly fact... be prepared for a rise in prices hopefully. this Pontiac no More thing may be something when the "collectors" find out about these Rare Pontiacs..... anybody got Lenos Number??

i mean good luck. and happy hunting. if i find some Meras for sale i will send them to you. cool?

later
Daniel
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 07-21-2010).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I happen to own three MERAs and all of them have been project/restoration cars that required considerable work/expense to bring them back to a decent condition. None of them were in the $3500-$4000 range and I actually had to trailer two of them back so that should give you some idea of the mechanical condition and the exterior was worse. Even if you happened to find one for $7500, be prepared to spend more to get it back in shape (especially if it has been converted to a F308/328 configuration). The vast majority of the MERAs that I have seen sold for between $7500 to $14000. I know of one that went for $21000 but it had a N* engine swap and looked decent. If any of mine went on the market, it would be for $20000 to $30000 due to the upgraded engines, interiors, and bodywork.

BTW, the purple car in San Diego was not sold (according to the owner) even after I diagnosed his engine problem and offered him the advertised price. He then raised the price by around $1000 and still would not sell the car to me. It was also modified to a non stock exterior and had a partially completed color change interior.

Good luck to you in the search and let me know if you find more than one in your price range (I would like another one).

Nelson

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

That pretty much sums it up. I've always wanted one but rarely do i see any under 6k, most around 10k. There was a purple one on here from CA for a couple days that sold for 3500 but i didn't have the cash then. Now i'm selling a car (02 Z24) and should have the cash but now no cheep Mera to be found. Anyway am i dreaming thinking i can find one for less than 4 or 5k?

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-21-2010).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
e-bay motors - used cars - replicas a number of kit 308 / 328's come up on a regular basis sometimes a mera
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I paid 10k, which was his asking price, and think I got an amazing deal!!!!!
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Many (nearly all) of the 308 replicas that are on Fieros are molded off of a real Mera. This was done because all the hard work had already been done, and so molds could be easily made. The only one I could think of off my head that wouldn't be is the Stinger. If you're not too worried about having an actual Mera, you can probably find a standard 308 kit car for less than a Mera. I don't think however that you should expect to pay $5k and the car need nothing. That's somewhat wishful thinking. That would probably get you a fair driver with some body damage or work and interior work, but not a complete car.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

i got My Mera from FL shipped for just under the same, $10,000 included delivery, tax, title and license.
but my car has not given me any bit of trouble. well till half the bumper showed itself to be rusted.
but after 2 years of ownership and it still starts right up and runs with the big dogs.....

good show Johny....see you in the "Real Mera In Paradise".....you, new(est) member!

congrats!

i seen a real beat up Mera (#7005) go for $3500. its was the last EBay bid i saw, anyway.....$3-5K more and it will be a real looker.

Daniel-
Mera X

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-02-2011).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
If you are very lucky you may be able to find one in $5000 range but you will need to put some work into it. One was recently purchased for $4000 by a new forum member but it needs some work. I paid more for mine, more but I was looking for a specifically equipped 88 Mera that was a one owner. Be patient and one will eventually come up.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock