Dallas to Houston diversion! by Egor
Started on: 07-06-2010 11:13 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Egor on 11-25-2011 05:56 PM
Egor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorDirect Link to This Post
Probably you guys travel back and forth between these two cities, maybe some of you many times a year. It can be a long boring drive that you just want to get over with.

BUT, there is one bright spot along the way. If you are going south from Dallas, exit the interstate at Buffalo and stay on the access road.
For the next 20 miles the access road winds up & down hills that are cut down on the interstate. It also has twists and turns. You are only at most a few hundred yards from the interstate, but the personally of the road is completely different!

It is a good break from the routine of I45, and you won't lose but a few minutes.

If you are going north from Houston, get off at the exit that has the Yellow Rose Rodeo Areana & RV park (about 4 miles before Centerville).

Have fun! I did.
Egor

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip...that is one long and boring drive. A little diversion around Buffalo would be a welcome distraction...especially in a Fiero.

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Just made that drive earlier today in fact. I never even thought to look for things like that.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Thanks for the tip...that is one long and boring drive.

What's this?? A long and boring drive in Texas? The hell you say!

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
My wife and I recently drove to Port Arthur, Houston and back here. We took I35 to Waco, east to Buffalo through Marlin and down IH45 to Huntsville. I saw the road you're talking about and on my next trip(I'll probably be alone in my Fiero), I'll go the "scenic" route. I really like the road from Waco to Buffalo--hilly, winding and very scenic.
Dracor

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorDirect Link to This Post
I took that road by accident one time, I was in my Camaro though. Still had fun. Very few other people use the road and I don't remember any big potholes or anything.

Definitely recommend it. Hope to hit it with my Vette soon.

Once you are on it, you have to ride it out. The next entrance ramp to the highway is in the next town.

------------------
'84 3800SC, XP cam, 3.2 pully, HPTuners, N* TB, 4sp, SPEC 3+ clutch, Aluminium flywheel, pacesetter headers, F355 body kit, weight reduction

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
NTFC has hit that road 2x... once on the way to the Baytown Ruckus, and the other was for the Lufkin Ruckus.

It is fun. Well, a lot more fun than dang I-45.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
You want a LONG and boring drive? Try El Paso to San Antonio! There is nothing off I-10 like the road you mentioned.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

You want a LONG and boring drive? Try El Paso to San Antonio! There is nothing off I-10 like the road you mentioned.

I made that drive back in the late 90's while going to an AAFO show. The only thing I remember of that stretch is getting pulled over by a trooper for no plates (had temp tag in window) and getting searched for drugs and/or illegals in the trunk ('87 coupe BTW).

Egor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorDirect Link to This Post
U P D A T E !

Ran this access road again Thursday coming back from "Turkey Day Lunch". It has been resurfaced since last time and now fairly smooth. It had some broken pavement sections that had been just patched before, but is now pretty uniform from the Leon exit to Buffalo.

Did see 1 sheriff's car that had pulled over two guys on horseback, but no regular "smokies" to slow me down. Oh, and now the posted speed limits that I saw had been lowered to 45mph. The horses were probably the only ones even close to that limit, though.

Have fun!
Egor

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock