Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  It's 4 am, and I just got home from being standed an hour and a half from my house.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

It's 4 am, and I just got home from being standed an hour and a half from my house. by Spynx
Started on: 06-17-2010 04:12 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 06-07-2011 10:21 PM
Spynx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpynxClick Here to visit Spynx's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpynxDirect Link to This Post
Here's what happened.

Today, my friend and I went to Cedar Point Amusement park, which it about an hour and a half from where I live in Akron, Ohio. We had no issues in getting there, aside from getting mixed up in some construction on the way there and for some reason my GPS was having trouble running off the power cord from my cigarette lighter plug....

But, no issue, we got there and had a BLAST. Lots of rides, won a stuffed Pokemon, etc.

The problems arose, however, when I started my car to go.

I noticed that my battery warning light was on, but the car started strong so I thought things were fine. I thought, "Oh, well, probably from sitting in the car with the doors open for an hour or so while we had lunch in the parking lot." And decided to drive to the nearest gas station to refill, and make sure the battery would charge up.

So, we drove. And the lights got dimmer. And no gas station in sight. Eventually I was about to turn around on the long, empty road I'd ended up on, and before I could even do that, little car died and stalled completely. Relatively fortunately, this happened where I was able to coast into the parking lot of a little motel, the only thing for a quarter mile in either direction.

I called my dad, (who had been in bed for at least an hour, seeing at is was about 10:30) and he drove the hour and a half to help me out. He's really a wonderful dad

Meanwhile I checked out anything I could think of it being.... the battery was connected fine, my belt was on, and so on.

When he got there it took about 15 minutes for it to figure it out. A wire on the alternator had corroded, and disconnected. So, we were able to strip the end of it and reconnect it... and only had to stop once on the whole drive back home to wiggle it a bit and keep it going. What matters is I made it home, though, I suppose.

This story, however, is just further proof of how little car earned the name "Murphy." He is named after Murphy's Law. Because, of course, the wire couldn't have gone while I was, you know. Maybe just a few miles from home? Where it really would have been just as likely, seeing as the wire was in the state it was in. *sigh* Oh well. I still love Murphy and the drive out there (and even back) was fantastic.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I am having dramas also with my daily driver so over it (old e30 bmw) i bought a reconditioned battery today but i think the alternator is running only periodically.

I put new brushes in it and it is still stuffing up arrggg.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 06-19-2010).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
I know what you will be working on tomorrow...lol Glad you made it home...

------------------

Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8 ~4T6OE
SmoothGT~II

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
As we move through life with our little two seater mid-engined monsters, we all grow and learn a little withe every encounter.

Glad you made it home OK and yes, your Dad is cool. Tell him I said so, maybe he'll come rescue me sometime.

Ron
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it back.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
lol again at least yours dosent ruin dates like mine does.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Just a pointer for everyone, the most common cause of a battery light is that the belt is off \ broken. This belt also drives the water pump, so you shouldnt run the car more than 30 seconds like that until you confirm that the WP is turning. THEN, know that you have a short time until the battery dies, lol.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Cedar point,.. Wow i miss that place !

I used to go every year when i lived in Ohio (grew up there), best amusement park in the world. As far as the car goes you are right, it was a good thing it happened when it did and you were at a motel and not on one of those looooooooong stretch of roads leading to Cedar Point where there is nothing but farmland for miles and miles.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Luckily, it was a small problem that you could fix, and drive the car home. Having your car towed home would have been a bummer.

I also noticed that cars almost never break down close to home. That would be too easy. They wait until you get adventurous, and take a long drive. Then they get ya!
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post
Yup, great dad. Many aren't so lucky. .....good to hear it was a simple fix.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

lol again at least yours dosent ruin dates like mine does.

everytime you mention your so called date being ruined by your Fiero i'm going to post a pic of a big ugly girl from google images, you have been warned you post wh0r3!
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

everytime you mention your so called date being ruined by your Fiero i'm going to post a pic of a big ugly girl from google images, you have been warned you post wh0r3!

Yea my fiero's do a little somthing that yours dosent... and that is move under its own power
SNAPPY829

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
Now thats funny right there PK... )
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SNAPPY829:

Now thats funny right there PK... )

Lol i try.
Spynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpynxClick Here to visit Spynx's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpynxDirect Link to This Post
We got the wires situated so Murphy is fine to drive once again! (for now) ;]

------------------

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear it got sorted out, and are rolling again it is usually something small . Pk you are going to jinx yourself with talk like that. Your taking 2 fieros a good distance to a show and back that's a butt load of opportunity for fiero hi jinks.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
The problem is that you had another woman in the car. Fiero's are extremely jealous cars, and friends mean less attention for the car, and they act up.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Thank God for cell phones and dads. Being in a Motel parking lot was also a lucky strike. In the worst case you could have gotten a room and waited until the next day for road help. I've found that with a Fiero, the AAA Gold card with the 100 mile tow is an excellent membership to have. They will also come change a flat which is great when the temp is 5*F outside or when you are nicely dressed and don't want to get dirty.
Great to hear that everything turned out OK.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Y_B_A_FOOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Y_B_A_FOOLSend a Private Message to Y_B_A_FOOLDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem when I got my Fiero. The owner said the starter was bad cause all the lights worked fine. So i replaced the starter and *click*. I found that nuckle and moved it and it started up perfectly. Such a dumb design.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Just a pointer for everyone, the most common cause of a battery light is that the belt is off \ broken. This belt also drives the water pump, so you shouldnt run the car more than 30 seconds like that until you confirm that the WP is turning. THEN, know that you have a short time until the battery dies, lol.

LOL I find that the most common cause of a battery light in 84-87 is relying on a SI model alternator! All years would deeply benefit from upgrading to CS alternator with a pigtail plug n play adaptor and be 200% more reliable.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Luckily, it was a small problem that you could fix, and drive the car home. Having your car towed home would have been a bummer.

I also noticed that cars almost never break down close to home. That would be too easy. They wait until you get adventurous, and take a long drive. Then they get ya!

They act the fool regardless of distance. I get a fine sunny day on a weekend and decide to take the T-top for a run, and bam! Fuel pump fails in the driveway! Went to take the V6 through to Dunedin and bam! Thermostat housing springs a leak. Fieros man... they're not even remotely predictable.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
One of the consequences of driving an older car.

Honestly, I am glad that it all worked out. You sound like you have a wonderful Father, and the type that would do anything for you in a pinch. It seems that there are less and less of those everday.

Tony

Edit: VVVVVV Ha! "Smarter that the average bear."

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-07-2011).]

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Heh I guess nobody noticed this thread is almost right at a year old now.

-Joe
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
This is the only Murphy I know

------------------

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:

-Joe

Everyone loves a necrotic thread bump every now and then
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joesfiero:
-Joe

I noticed when I read the title of the post because I remember reading it a year ago
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Fathers Day is soon........get him a Fiero!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock