Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  eaysest motor to get 1000HP out of (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
eaysest motor to get 1000HP out of by IVANNATINKLE
Started on: 05-25-2010 05:51 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 02-12-2011 02:06 PM
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
alright guys I know this is always a big debate But what american GM motor is easiest to get 1000 HP out of and i know its no easy task but I figured i would ask also FI is more than acceptable seeing as how I was thinking a twin turbo set up...

also what do you think it would take to get that much out of your suggestion.

also something that could fit in a fiero so no big blocks.

Ls1
3.8 SC ( I know smaller and harder but I have some more knowledge on this motor than any other motor)

uhh not sure what other motors.....
mustang cobra motor would do it twin turbo but thats ford not gm... and I would like to keep my dream ride all GM
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
How about a blown LS7
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
632 and make it fit imo... =)
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The easiest engine to get 1000 HP from is the one in the Bugatti Veyron. It comes that way from the factory.

But seriously, do an internet search for Chris Chow's Grand National. It has a twin turbo V8 (not sure which flavor) producing just over 1000 HP.

Here's a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsjx0LgtoDA
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://www.thecarconnection...ds-ecotec-to-1000-hp Ecotec 2.0-liter turbo

yea it's a race engine but...
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Twin-Turbo 572 Big-Block Chevy.

EDIT: Gah, no BBC's. Twin-Turbo LS9 then. Wait, will that fit in a Fiero? Probably not. Twin-Turbo LS7 then.

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 05-26-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how the answer to this quesion will be of any help to you? . Even if it were possibe to put a 1000 HP engine in a Fiero; the car has neither the strength nor the suspension that could handle it. I assume that this is just a rhetorical question.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

86FieroCentPa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaDirect Link to This Post
I'd also imagine that if you have to ask, you don't have the means to do it
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
An LQ4 with forged pistons and the '02-'05 Z06 cam is the cheapest route, but some will say the crank and rods also need help. Others have pushed the stock stuff that bar by being conservative and avoiding ANY detonation. A 496 or 502 will also get you there, since all you need is 500 horses n/a plus another 14 psi of boost. You can do that on pump gas with intercooling.
I have a link to a fox mustang running high 9s with a single T76 on a junkyard LM7 with just a cam, springs, and pushrods. Even doing it using the truck exhaust manifolds and stock cast pistons, at 14 psi. He used a TH400 with a 3800 stall, an 8.8" with 3.27:1 and M/T 275/60R15 drag radials.
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
A myriad of weak links comes to mind EXCULDING the drivetrain. A myriad of upgrades and tuning involved within the drivetrain. And the end result will last how many passes? : ondering the cost per mile when things go bad::

Greg
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
How do you exculd the drivetrain?
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I wonder how the answer to this quesion will be of any help to you? . Even if it were possibe to put a 1000 HP engine in a Fiero; the car has neither the strength nor the suspension that could handle it. I assume that this is just a rhetorical question.

It does if you put the engine up front and tub the rear.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
A few stock bottom end L67s have gotten close.

Otherwise, LSX or iron LSx with turbo should do fine.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Remember that GE also makes commercial and military jet engines that far exceed the desired HP value.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
http://www.jaylenosgarage.c...igsegg-trevita-ccxr/

1,000 + 18 HP stock

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-25-2010).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The easiest engine to get 1000 HP from is the one in the Bugatti Veyron. It comes that way from the factory.

But seriously, do an internet search for Chris Chow's Grand National. It has a twin turbo V8 (not sure which flavor) producing just over 1000 HP.

Here's a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsjx0LgtoDA

In that vid, pretty sure it was a 394 inch small block with twin turbos. Idk where it came from tho.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

theBDub

9691 posts
Member since May 2010

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.c...igsegg-trevita-ccxr/

1,000 + 18 HP stock

... and I jizzed in my pants!
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I had a 800 hp Rodeck SBC, put a supercharger on it and I could have had 1000hp without too much trouble
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

How do you exculd the drivetrain?

Parts that would fail with a built drivetrain (i.e. wheel bearings, suspension components, axels, chassis, etc.). One small failure can send you out of control into a wall, telephone pole, etc. without even pushing it. You would have to re-engineer everything for 1000+hp. I'm not saying that it can't be done, and that's why I said that you would have to be content with the cost of the build in terms of mileage until failure.

Greg
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
i have 1400hp in my pro monster truck with a 572 blown alcohol bbc.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Well this question helps me for the simple fact I would like to start putting pieces aside for a motor build, and as far as the car having the strength to handle it there are quite a few ways to stiffen the whole car up to take the beating of 1000HP yes hard and costly but it can be done, and the suspension common the stock suspension set up? .... really you think anyone dumping 1000HP into ANY car would leaves the suspension stock?. and no its not rhetorical, if it were rhetorical I would not have posted it for others to answer.
PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FieroCentPa:

I'd also imagine that if you have to ask, you don't have the means to do it

I only ask because I would like others opinions on the subject rather then ponder myself there are a lot of others with way more experience then I have working on cars, all types of cars, and I figured maybe they would share there knowledge or at least suggestions.

Personally I was thinking of going with the 3800 because thats the motor I personally know more about compared to other motors. The having the means to do it part well.... the answer is no I don't have the means to go dump $10,000 Next week thats why I'm asking suggestions first so I can do some more research maybe narrow my search and pick a motor and start the build up I didn't say it will be done next week Its going to take a long ass time to finish but for me It will be worth it when I'm done..

Also I do not plan to mount this the way a stock motor is mounted And will probably use an audi or another type of transmission.

how ever please keep this thread motor based If you will... but i guess a little of other things wont kill anybody
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Lots of ways. You would have to start with a complete custom built frame. First to fail will be transmission....axles, hubs. If you dont, you will break something everytime you drive it. Even the body with it being stock would twist and distort till welds and subframe parts broke.

It would be like putting a V8 engine on a bicycle.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-26-2010).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Cheapest to 1k hp is a big block chevy, If you're planning on running an Audi or Porche transaxle making that engine fit shouldn't be a problem as you'll already be making MAJOR chassis mods. An lsx based engine will most likely have the best combination of combustion efficiency, modern design, compactness of size to aid in installation, and cost won't be outrageous to make that hp level

------------------
88blackchopv8

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 05-26-2010).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Contact dave held. He has a subframe for mounting a longitudinal v8 in a fiero and you could use an audi or a porsche transaxle. Although the g50 porsche is bucks up, it's a strong unit. That would be a start. Then axles. cv joints,etc.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

dratts

8373 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Contact dave held. He has a subframe for mounting a longitudinal v8 in a fiero and you could use an audi or a porsche transaxle. Although the g50 porsche is bucks up, it's a strong unit. That would be a start. Then axles. cv joints,etc. The eldorado/toronado fwd transmissions have been used with both big block and small block chevys in fieros. Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete the other one

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 05-26-2010).]

R Runner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you how to do the longitudinal if you want to do a custome setup. My IMSA will handle that kind of HP. Currently I am at a modist 645 HP.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Yea I was going to use the dave held rear subframe for the longitudinal V8 the Rocker cradle But I wasn't sure it would take the 1000Hp, I've heard of people putting down 1000Hp in audi's so the Transmission can be built to do it. And axles and such I'm sure i can have some custom built
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
IVANNATINKLE, would you use Flomax mufflers?

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-26-2010).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
What you can't see is a Dart Little M iron block with a 4.165-inch bore, a Cola 4340 billet steel 3.75-inch stroke crank, and JE forged-aluminum pistons set at a streetable 8.2:1 compression. The heads are AFR 227 CNC fully ported alloy castings with 2.10/1.60-inch stainless steel valves. Actuating the valves is a Cam Motion mechanical roller with roughly 260 degrees of duration at 0.050-inch tappet lift and 0.750-inch lift all held together with a T&D shaft rocker system hidden under a pair of Moroso fabricated aluminum valve covers.

http://www.carcraft.com/tec...vy_engine/index.html

1,035 HP 409 Small Block Chevy Engine - Horse Power!
Here's one way to make 1,000 hp - add a giant supercharger.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Yes flow-master will be my choice of exhaust...... lol either that or magna flow

flowmax is my FIRST choice? I'm not sure never used or heard them.

not sure though.... least of my worries...

[This message has been edited by IVANNATINKLE (edited 05-26-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I have moroso flow max mufflers on mine. No back pressure, its a two chamber tube muffler. The center pipe is straight through and the outside chamber has vanes in it to flow the exhaust into its self to help quiet it down.
Quiet thats funny, its anything but quiet.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Duh, do a web search for Flomax, one word. This may solve your problem.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-26-2010).]

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
There is no replacement for displacement.
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
i build porsche 911 racecars, ferrari 308 race cars, and pro monster trucks for a living. so i have a multitude of ideas for big hp and how to hold it down. i suppose if i were to do something of this nature, which has crossed my mind more than a few times.... i would use a ls7 corvette engine. ls7 crate engine makes 505+hp at the flywheel on pump gas stock out of the box. for those of you who know what a ls9 is give me a second.... the ls9 is a ls7 with a factory supercharger on it and it only makes 638hp at the flywheel. ok back to my theory... ENGINE: ls7 is 6 bolt main caps, forged crankshaft, forged titanium rods, forged pistons, stock out of the crate... so it will take the boost. put copper head gaskets and copper exhaust gaskets on the ls7. now install a twin procharger setup on it with intercooler setup. use an adjustable boost setup. put a motec or similar system on it. spend the money to put it on a dyno and dial it in properly. twin procharged ls7's will make 900 to 1000hp easily and reliably, i have done it. twin procharged ls7 is around $25,000.00 to $35,000.00 depending on the goodies you throw at it. TRANSAXLE: now on to a transmission to hold it to the pavement. nothing on this planet for a mid engine configuration will hold that kind of hp except a porsche g50/52 turbo transmission or a mendeola race gearbox. both are extremely expensive but both will take 900 ft lbs of torque and 1000 to 1200hp. the porsche gearbox is around $15,000.00 used and $25,000.00 rebuilt with the good stuff in it. the mendeola isnt much cheaper. SUSPENSION: tube chassis the fiero and retrofit c5 corvette front and rear suspension into it. install penske/kmr pro racing or any other pro adjustable coilover setups into the car. corner balance the car and test and tune till you like the cornering and handling. estimated cost around $45,000.00 BRAKES: i use brembo 6 piston front and rear calipers on all of my race cars with 13 to 14" rotors. this necessitates running 18 or 19" wheels and tires but at this point why not? estimated cost around $15,000.00 now if you add this up on the high end its around $125,000.00. your not at bugatti veyron prices yet but you do have veyron performance with higher quality parts likely than the veyron. but dont let this fool you.... this is a build beyond builds.... not for the light hearted. a well sorted car of this caliber would be hard to beat by any comers as weight would likely be in the 2500lbs range and around 1000hp. you would need some big sticky meats in back and even at that you would want to buy stock in the tire company... lol my .02 worth.... mike in oklahoma
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
LT5
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

There is no replacement for displacement.

Octane and boost works just fine. I have unlimited power available as long as I have the head to flow it and the octane to prevent bad things from happening.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Mera7,
You hit it pretty well, but there are a few points that need...umm...clarification. The LS9 is not just a blown LS7. The 9 has a revised block, less stroke, and a few other changes. The 7 has titanium rods.
The 9 will gain power from headers, pulley and a tune, but the inlet to the blower from the TB is a restriction, and the plenum volume is relatively small.
Still, 1000 crank HP from a tweaked LS9 is not a challenge if you have funds.
The LS7 would be wise because more displacement requires less boost, but the LS9 has the better block. The 9 can be bored to 4.125", but there's no need to go thinning the cylinder walls.
mera7

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Direct Link to This Post
isolde thanks for the clarification. mike
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
really big stickers?
CAI?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock