Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My 88' Coupe to Formula Build Thread (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
My 88' Coupe to Formula Build Thread by fieroguy123
Started on: 03-12-2010 08:50 PM
Replies: 52
Last post by: fieroguy123 on 06-30-2011 06:29 PM
2Fast2Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast2FieroSend a Private Message to 2Fast2FieroDirect Link to This Post
nice coupe.. shiny paint

------------------
Mister I Dont Play Around!!!

IP: Logged
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
How does that 2.0L turbo run in the fiero. Those engines where available in the grand am also. What is the horsepower rating and more importantly the torque rating?
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
The 2.0 is 165 h.p and ( I think) 190 tq. However, with some VERY small modification it's makes 200h.p reliably. The rod on the wastegate is threaded, so a couple quick turns puts her up to 10-11 psi. That's up from 7psi. Then a little bit of cam timing and an msd 6al box will put you at 200h.p. without ever turning a bolt on the motor.
As you know, the 145h.p. 2.8 that came in the gt/formula/se was just quick enough to make a decent daily driver, but I had always wished it had just a little more punch. So I figured 200h.p. and still being within the 30mpg numbers was about as ideal as it gets. I already have a race car (88'gt with 2.0t highly modified), so it was time to build a more reliable/practical version that I could take on a road trip without worrying about having spare icm's in the trunk, or breaking the bank with fuel costs. For me, it's the perfect swap. Not to mention turbo's and blow off valves just plain sound bad a#$!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
If anyone cares, one of these motors is sitting in a "pick n pull" in Virginia Beach. It looked complete on Thursday, but someone had been picking it over, the hood scoops and gauge's were already gone.

Rob
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I just took the car for it's first test drive since the rebuild, it's fantastic! It still needs a muffler, and it apparently has an ignition misfire when it warms up, but it's very minor. It rolls smooth, has plenty of power, shifts well, and OMG I love the t-tops! I'll make a video for you guys and get it up tomorrow after I get the exhaust finished up.

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-28-2010).]

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Please do. I'd love to hear how it sounds and possibly a speed shot focused on the speedo.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I spent the day tweeking, testing, and driving the formula. Before I tell you how it went, I'll tell a short story. Two days ago my friend ken (firebirdrestore) stops by to buy some parts. We decide to run to the bank together and jump into his 09' ford escape. As I get in I'm noticing that it's fully loaded and even has leather, so I assume right off the bat that it's a v6 car. He clicks his seatbelt in and hits the key..... Right away I know i've been fooled by the luxury interior and that it's a 4 cyl vehicle. Most 4 cyl cars of today have those plastic intake manifolds that put off a harmonic that carries through the passenger compartment notifying anyone with ears that its a 4 cylinder. It's also noteworthy to say that at idle, you can almost always feel the power pulses and a slight vibration through the passenger compartment.

That being said, when you drive/ride in my car you will notice immediately that there is no weird harmonic, and that it's almost completely silent. Sounds more like a fan than an engine.

There's no vibration what-so-ever. I re-used the factory engine and transmission mounts with the soft, 25 year old rubber with the intention of deadening any vibrations. However, I did fabricate a dog bone for it that uses poly bushings to eliminate any engine rocking.

Now, if you've ever driven a grand prix, impala, buick, or anything else that was built with the naturally aspirated 3800 series II, then you'll understand what I'm about to say.
The car is smooth, quiet, powerful, and has EXCELLENT throttle response. You would never know it has a 4 cylinder as the turbo is sized perfectly for the engine. There's NO lag at all, it takes right off and at a quarter throttle you're thinking "Man, this thing is really peppy!". The only thing I've driven that I know to compare it to is the NA 3800 series II cars. My engine is making roughly 200 h.p. and it feels as though it's all between 1200-4000 rpm. It does have a tendency to "fall off" above 4500 rpm or so, but there's really no need to ever punch it and take it up that far. At half throttle it shifts at about 3700-4000rpm and you've already pulled VERY far away from everyone else at the intersection. I guess the word to describe it would be zippy???

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the chance to perform a gas mileage test. There's a highway that runs a circle around my great city of indianapolis, and in the middle lane it's almost exactly 55 miles around. The speedlimit is 55, but you would be run over by a semi at that speed. The average in the middle lane is usually 65 during the day and 70ish at night. So I'll fill up with premium, make 2 laps around 465 at 65mph and finish the test run at the very pump which I had just filled up at. I'm expecting about 35 mpg out of this one. I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-30-2010).]

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post

fieroguy123

1523 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I went to the gas station today to fill up, and about 2 blocks later my brand new fuel pump decided to shred its gears.... Towed it home, and I guess I'll be installing ANOTHER new fuel pump tomorrow. It's pracitcally a brand new car and it's already getting temper-mental on me. I give her new paint, new interior, new drivetrain, and many other new parts, and all of 4 miles later she thanks me like this? Hopefully this will be the last of her fits before the frazee trip.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
This car is currently for sale in the mall with up to date pictures

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 06-25-2011).]

wesailit57

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wesailit57Send a Private Message to wesailit57Direct Link to This Post
88.........lowered....lighter - weight engine.... this one going to drive like it's on rails

Nice .... my compliments !!!
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Thanks! I'm surprised to see someone posted in this old thread.

By the grace of god, I got to keep my car. I sold the engine swap to a gentleman from Michigan who is picking it up on Saturday and I couldn't be happier!

I now have the money to move and I didn't have to let go of my baby.

This engine swap was awesome, I enjoyed every second of it, but I have a big surprise in store for you all the next time she rolls out of the garage
PFF
System Bot
wesailit57

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wesailit57Send a Private Message to wesailit57Direct Link to This Post
I guess? your 6-25 going to the mall post moved you up??
I was just surfing around, and usually read anything about 88's

Anyhow, I enjoyed it..... Glad you got to keep it
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wesailit57:

I guess? your 6-25 going to the mall post moved you up??
I was just surfing around, and usually read anything about 88's

Anyhow, I enjoyed it..... Glad you got to keep it

Glad you enjoyed my super short build thread
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay