Started on: 12-18-2009 10:32 PM
Replies: 162
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 01-12-2012 07:07 PM
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradley Jay:

Sean left? He was the one who always did a great job on my Fiero... do you know what happened?
I'm glad you're taking it to them though. They're one of the better options around here.

Not sure. Kenny said he was "tired of the stress" and moved on about a month ago.

I just got off the phone with Scott at the shop and he said the deck lid won't close because of the SC. Now, I have a SS intercooler, not a full stack, so it should close without any issues. Anyone know why this might be happening? We're using X's mounts for the swap. UGHHH let the issues begin!

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 07-22-2010).]

IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Not sure. Kenny said he was "tired of the stress" and moved on about a month ago.

I just got off the phone with Scott at the shop and he said the deck lid won't close because of the SC. Now, I have a SS intercooler, not a full stack, so it should close without any issues. Anyone know why this might be happening? We're using X's mounts for the swap. UGHHH let the issues begin!

The hindge on the SC snout side needs to be adjusted up to get a little more clearance. This can be done but loosening the 2 13 mm nuts that hold the hindge on and the sliding it upward. The hindge holes are slotted so there is a pretty good bit of adjustment and should be enough to clear the SC snout......

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

The hindge on the SC snout side needs to be adjusted up to get a little more clearance. This can be done but loosening the 2 13 mm nuts that hold the hindge on and the sliding it upward. The hindge holes are slotted so there is a pretty good bit of adjustment and should be enough to clear the SC snout......

Yeah it's the snout side that's hitting, but it doesn't look like the other hinge will clear the TB either. He used the spacer instead of porting the inlet, I suppose that might be why. I brought it to the other shop, which really isn't into Fieros AT ALL, and they're supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know what they think. Here's what I know so far...

The hinge(s) on the deck lid will need to be modified to allow for it to close

The M90's outlet wasn't ported correctly and the inlet wasn't ported at all.

The heat exchanger is mounted, but the lines need to be installed to it and the reservoir (which Scott did manage to install as well)

The front suspension is still in boxes and needs to be installed.

The alternator needs to be relocated.

The engine and transmission have not been hooked up completely, they are in the car but nothing is hooked up.

The nose is barely installed and the tail lights are currently out (I'm ok with the tail lights being in a safe place).

All of the accessories are on the engine, but again nothing is really hooked up so we don't know what works and what doesn't.

The wiring harness is supposed to be good to go, but it is yet unknown.

The car will need to be dyno tuned.

The brake master-cylinder upgrade needs to be installed.

The Sunbird tach needs to be installed.

Basically, they'll probably have to drop the cradle again and get everything re-situated, then kind of start from scratch on some things. I know this shop charges $90/hr for labor, so I'm going to see if they'll give me a flat price instead of charging me by the hour. If I can't afford them, then I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'd love to ship this car out to one of the members to finish, we'll have to see what happens I guess. Either way, thanks for watching guys, I wish I would have had a better story to tell. It's not over yet, but I'm definitely not happy with the way it's looking right now.

Well, at least I have my car, and it didn't disappear right?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Yeah it's the snout side that's hitting, but it doesn't look like the other hinge will clear the TB either. He used the spacer instead of porting the inlet, I suppose that might be why. I brought it to the other shop, which really isn't into Fieros AT ALL, and they're supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know what they think. Here's what I know so far...

The hinge(s) on the deck lid will need to be modified to allow for it to close

The M90's outlet wasn't ported correctly and the inlet wasn't ported at all.

The heat exchanger is mounted, but the lines need to be installed to it and the reservoir (which Scott did manage to install as well)

The front suspension is still in boxes and needs to be installed.

The alternator needs to be relocated.

The engine and transmission have not been hooked up completely, they are in the car but nothing is hooked up.

The nose is barely installed and the tail lights are currently out (I'm ok with the tail lights being in a safe place).

All of the accessories are on the engine, but again nothing is really hooked up so we don't know what works and what doesn't.

The wiring harness is supposed to be good to go, but it is yet unknown.

The car will need to be dyno tuned.

The brake master-cylinder upgrade needs to be installed.

The Sunbird tach needs to be installed.

Basically, they'll probably have to drop the cradle again and get everything re-situated, then kind of start from scratch on some things. I know this shop charges $90/hr for labor, so I'm going to see if they'll give me a flat price instead of charging me by the hour. If I can't afford them, then I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'd love to ship this car out to one of the members to finish, we'll have to see what happens I guess. Either way, thanks for watching guys, I wish I would have had a better story to tell. It's not over yet, but I'm definitely not happy with the way it's looking right now.

Well, at least I have my car, and it didn't disappear right?

Doesn't sound like alot that needs to be done but the little stuff is what takes the longest when trying to get it all done. For a shop to do it that has never done an install this time will probally take much longer. Getting a flat rate would be the best option but I am willing to bet that the shop will decline being they really have no clue how many hours are left to complete the car. I hope everything that was put together up to this point was done right and there are no underlying issues with it. I would atleast try shooting for getting the install complete and running before worring to much with the front end, brake booster, ect......

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't sound like alot that needs to be done but the little stuff is what takes the longest when trying to get it all done. For a shop to do it that has never done an install this time will probally take much longer. Getting a flat rate would be the best option but I am willing to bet that the shop will decline being they really have no clue how many hours are left to complete the car. I hope everything that was put together up to this point was done right and there are no underlying issues with it. I would atleast try shooting for getting the install complete and running before worring to much with the front end, brake booster, ect......

Looks like it's going to have to be torn down and redone
Bradley Jay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post

Looks like it's going to have to be torn down and redone

Is that what they said? Oh boy..
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Is that what they said? Oh boy..

Yeah, Kenny will do it, but I get to pay them to learn how and they will have to start basically from scratch. Considering they charge $90 an hour and they aren't as familiar with these as Dave (bmwguru) who charges a little over half that amount, I'm going to ship the car to NJ and try to sell a kidney on the black market. TEXASGT keeps trying to get me to go after the other partner exclusively. I hate to say it but I actually owe MSTANGS an apology. I guess I defended him just like MSTANGS defends Loyde.

By the way the car is still up there if you want to go look at it.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 07-23-2010).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, Kenny will do it, but I get to pay them to learn how and they will have to start basically from scratch. Considering they charge $90 an hour and they aren't as familiar with these as Dave (bmwguru) who charges a little over half that amount, I'm going to ship the car to NJ and try to sell a kidney on the black market. TEXASGT keeps trying to get me to go after the other partner exclusively. I hate to say it but I actually owe MSTANGS an apology. I guess I defended him just like MSTANGS defends Loyde.

No apology needed...I just call people as I see them and say what I think...Most the time I am right about people.....Best bet would be having someone famiiar with the swap complete i and probally way cheaper in the long run......
Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post

I'll probably run by tomorrow afternoon to get a good look at it. When are you shipping it to NJ?

EDIT: This is why I'm extremely sad that Sean left. We dropped off my Fiero a long time ago because we had a problem with a high idle and I replaced the whole EGR system trying to fix it. Sean worked on it on his own time, seperate from the shop's time, to fix it. He even went out of his way & got into contact with another Fiero owner halfway across the country to ask for some advice. In the end it was a corroded wire in the wiring harness, and he replaced it with no complaints. We paid him $500 flat and I couldn't thank him enough for the devotion he put into it, because let me tell you, the idling problem had me up the wall and he seemed like the only guy there who cared. My car had never driven as perfectly as it does now thanks to him.

I hate to say it but with him gone I might have to find a new shop, because you're right, they aren't particularly fond of Fieros. I'm sure Dave will do a great job on your car.

[This message has been edited by Bradley Jay (edited 07-23-2010).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
I just realized a few more things... aside from my tail lights being damaged...

My center console is damaged, along with the console part around the glove box/map pocket thingie between the seats.

I'm missing a 3.2 pulley from Thrasher

I'm missing the Flojet pump for the intercooler system. I'm missing a TON of bolts and screws

They didn't install everything they claimed to in the 3800, such as the springs (which are missing) and some other parts that I bought.

I now have to sue them. They're trying to throw each other under the proverbial bus and neither of them thinks they owe us, the customers, anything because they both claim they're broke. It looks like TEXASGT might have fled the area.

They don't know what broke is, not yet anyway.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

I just realized a few more things... aside from my tail lights being damaged...

My center console is damaged, along with the console part around the glove box/map pocket thingie between the seats.

I'm missing a 3.2 pulley from Thrasher

I'm missing the Flojet pump for the intercooler system. I'm missing a TON of bolts and screws

They didn't install everything they claimed to in the 3800, such as the springs (which are missing) and some other parts that I bought.

I now have to sue them. They're trying to throw each other under the proverbial bus and neither of them thinks they owe us, the customers, anything because they both claim they're broke. It looks like TEXASGT might have fled the area.

They don't know what broke is, not yet anyway.

All I can say is good luck with it all......

PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

All I can say is good luck with it all......

ditto that buddy... I've been there, done that, worn out the T-shirt, and had a few 'strenuous' words with my wife over my past situation.

Fortuanetly, all I really lost was about a year of interest on 10k... but it could have been A LOT worse.

I hope that guru up in NJ can turn your dream into a reality.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Well, the wheel never stops turning. Since this is going to be a fight to get nothing more than a judgment and hope that it will lead to some of my money being returned in the future, I am not going to be able to afford to ship the car to Dave after all. The cost for everything, including shipping, will be more than I can swing right now. The car is in decent enough shape, but the little extras are going to kill me.

$100 for a new intercooler pump

$300ish for a different M90 (they screwed the port up on mine and didn't even port the inlet so I'm going to grab a Gen V instead of messing with it)

$100 for a new N* TB spacer to mate it to the Gen V

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)

$??? for a replacement center console since they broke mine.

$??? for new tail light lenses since they broke them too. Tim has a OEM set, but my Paypal is screwed up since I'm fighting a couple of charges to them. They're pretty pricey as well, more than double what replacement lenses from FS cost.

$??? for a new harness, as I'm sure the one they did is a hack job.

$??? for AC lines, this is Houston, nuff said.

Then you have to factor in the labor. There is a guy here locally who might be able to do it. I'll update you guys if/when this is moving again.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 08-16-2010).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Well, the wheel never stops turning. Since this is going to be a fight to get nothing more than a judgment and hope that it will lead to some of my money being returned in the future, I am not going to be able to afford to ship the car to Dave after all. The cost for everything, including shipping, will be more than I can swing right now. The car is in decent enough shape, but the little extras are going to kill me.

$300ish for a different M90 (they screwed the port up on mine and didn't even port the inlet so I'm going to grab a Gen V instead of messing with it)

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)

$??? for new tail light lenses since they broke them too. Tim has a OEM set, but my Paypal is screwed up since I'm fighting a couple of charges to them. They're pretty pricey as well, more than double what replacement lenses from FS cost.

Then you have to factor in the labor. There is a guy here locally who might be able to do it. I'll update you guys if/when this is moving again.

No biggie that the car can't make it to me....I filled the spot with the next Fiero in line.
Just a word of caution, if you do plan on having this swap eventually completed, keep me in mind. You've already been burned once by a shop that said they could pull it off for you and you received the car back in worse shape. You may run into the same problem again if the next shop is inexperienced as well. My OCD really helps my business and all the swaps I have done so far, the customers have been happy.

With the gen V M90, you will need the L32 lower intake manifold. If you do bring the swap to me, We can fabricate the headers to fit perfectly in the Fiero's engine bay. I also can ceramic coat them in Haus. The a/c hose I fabricate has the temp sensor port for the pcm to properly control the a/c. My harnesses have new pcm, C203 and C500 terminals....and very little soldering. No soldering in the engine bay where temps can reach high enough to melt the solder and cause wiring issues.
Take your time and see what you can get out of the shop that broke your parts. I'll still be here if you need me.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

No biggie that the car can't make it to me....I filled the spot with the next Fiero in line.
Just a word of caution, if you do plan on having this swap eventually completed, keep me in mind. You've already been burned once by a shop that said they could pull it off for you and you received the car back in worse shape. You may run into the same problem again if the next shop is inexperienced as well. My OCD really helps my business and all the swaps I have done so far, the customers have been happy.

With the gen V M90, you will need the L32 lower intake manifold. If you do bring the swap to me, We can fabricate the headers to fit perfectly in the Fiero's engine bay. I also can ceramic coat them in Haus. The a/c hose I fabricate has the temp sensor port for the pcm to properly control the a/c. My harnesses have new pcm, C203 and C500 terminals....and very little soldering. No soldering in the engine bay where temps can reach high enough to melt the solder and cause wiring issues.
Take your time and see what you can get out of the shop that broke your parts. I'll still be here if you need me.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks a lot man, I am really pissed that this is now getting in the way of having you finish the car. Delivery and pickup would cost me about $1,000 and with the stuff missing, I'm assuming it will cost around $2,500 - $3,000 to have it done. I really wish I could swing it, but that would max my cards right now.

On a side note, would you consider doing some of the stuff and sending it to me (I would pay your of course)? I would feel a lot better if I was at least working towards getting it done, and even if I couldn't get it to you, having the components ready for when I CAN get it to you would make things easier no matter what route I end up going. I'd specifically be interested in these things;

1) harness

2) headers

3) A/C lines

And let me know what other parts you think I would need like brackets or anything else. I can at least start getting the parts so it's ready to go. If you don't want to do it this way, I understand. It's killing me to watch it sit there though.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 08-16-2010).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

$100 for a new intercooler pump-----Can get a Bosch pump off E-bay new for $85 shipped.....

$300ish for a different M90----Can get a ported M90 case off CGP for half that price....If you go GenV then you have to buy another IC being the one you have is for a Gen 3

$100 for a new N* TB spacer to mate it to the Gen V----Just stick with the Gen3 SC

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)----Which ones did they buy..Resell to get money back..Only header that you are going to find that do not require cutting the trunk are PEMs or WCF style...Cut the trunk and be done with it...you don't loose much room at all.....

$??? for a new harness, as I'm sure the one they did is a hack job---PM FieroFlyer or one of the other members that do harneses...Hold off on getting this till you find out the one they did is crap....

$??? for AC lines, this is Houston, nuff said---any AC shop can do this for $75 or so........

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

$100 for a new intercooler pump-----Can get a Bosch pump off E-bay new for $85 shipped..... Which one? I didn't see any for that price.

$300ish for a different M90----Can get a ported M90 case off CGP for half that price....If you go GenV then you have to buy another IC being the one you have is for a Gen 3.... I thought the Gen V outperformed a Gen III?

$100 for a new N* TB spacer to mate it to the Gen V----Just stick with the Gen3 SC

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)----Which ones did they buy..Resell to get money back..Only header that you are going to find that do not require cutting the trunk are PEMs or WCF style...Cut the trunk and be done with it...you don't loose much room at all..... Don;t know which one they bought but it's the bad Ebay version not the $205 version, and I'm plannign on doing more of a full restore, so I really don't want to cut the trunk.

$??? for a new harness, as I'm sure the one they did is a hack job---PM FieroFlyer or one of the other members that do harneses...Hold off on getting this till you find out the one they did is crap.... I like the way Dave described his harness, so I'll see if he is willing to make one. If not, then I'll figure out what to do I guess.

$??? for AC lines, this is Houston, nuff said---any AC shop can do this for $75 or so........ OK, I didn't know that, I'll look into it.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 08-17-2010).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

$100 for a new intercooler pump-----Can get a Bosch pump off E-bay new for $85 shipped..... Which one? I didn't see any for that price.

$300ish for a different M90----Can get a ported M90 case off CGP for half that price....If you go GenV then you have to buy another IC being the one you have is for a Gen 3.... I thought the Gen V outperformed a Gen III?

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)----Which ones did they buy..Resell to get money back..Only header that you are going to find that do not require cutting the trunk are PEMs or WCF style...Cut the trunk and be done with it...you don't loose much room at all..... Don;t know which one they bought but it's the bad Ebay version not the $205 version, and I'm plannign on doing more of a full restore, so I really don't want to cut the trunk.

$??? for a new harness, as I'm sure the one they did is a hack job---PM FieroFlyer or one of the other members that do harneses...Hold off on getting this till you find out the one they did is crap.... I like the way Dave described his harness, so I'll see if he is willing to make one. If not, then I'll figure out what to do I guess.

$??? for AC lines, this is Houston, nuff said---any AC shop can do this for $75 or so........ OK, I didn't know that, I'll look into it.

$100 for a new intercooler pump-----Can get a Bosch pump off E-bay new for $85 shipped..... Which one? I didn't see any for that price.--Here is a link to one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

$300ish for a different M90----Can get a ported M90 case off CGP for half that price....If you go GenV then you have to buy another IC being the one you have is for a Gen 3.... I thought the Gen V outperformed a Gen III?.....It does put out more but for what you want out of the car the Gen3 will be plenty...Also like I said you would have to get another IC to match the GenV.

$??? for decent headers (the ones they bought were cheap Ebay knockoffs and aren't good for this unless I want to cut my trunk)----Which ones did they buy..Resell to get money back..Only header that you are going to find that do not require cutting the trunk are PEMs or WCF style...Cut the trunk and be done with it...you don't loose much room at all..... Don;t know which one they bought but it's the bad Ebay version not the $205 version, and I'm plannign on doing more of a full restore, so I really don't want to cut the trunk....Use stock manifolds or PEMs and you can keep the trunk still.....

$??? for a new harness, as I'm sure the one they did is a hack job---PM FieroFlyer or one of the other members that do harneses...Hold off on getting this till you find out the one they did is crap.... I like the way Dave described his harness, so I'll see if he is willing to make one. If not, then I'll figure out what to do I guess....If Dave's is cheaper than others then go with his but they all do the same thing. Most that build harnesses all use the same method and style so most are just as clean as the others.

Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
It breaks my heart when I see things like this happen... I wish I could help out in some way to see this car reach a complete and finished condition where you can get some enjoyment out of it!

------------------

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Believe me I wish there were a few 3800 Fiero guys here that I could have come and wrench on my car. I would have no problem paying them. Hell I would even buy them beer and subject them to my wife's cooking.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 08-24-2010).]

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
I may not be a "Fiero guy" yet but I guess I will be soon enough when I get some time to work on mine .
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Tengis is going to help me see if I can salvage that train wreck of an enigne swap. I wanted to ship it up to Dave, but the extra cost of shipping would have put it out of my price range, especially since I'm going to have to go after TEXASGT for ripping me off. Hopefully Tengis can help other 3800 guys as well, since he's been working on these engines for a while.

** He's even listed on the ZZP website as a service provider in the area for 3800's and he has the unofficial fastest 3800 in Texas**

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 08-28-2010).]

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Lol if you check my join date Ive been on here for a long time Ive just lurked and never posted.

"fastest 3800 in Texas"
Actually I said fastest Grand Prix but then again I dont know of any other 3800s that are faster =p. I beat the previous best GP at the last Texas Grand Prix Gathering in Lufkin. Weve built multiple 300+ whp M90 3800s, a couple turbo cars, and have two Fieros sitting here of our own that we are going to be working on when we get some time. Putting my car back together right now so Im hoping to get some even better track times before I transplant it all into my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Tengis (edited 08-28-2010).]

Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post
Glad the car is in good hands this time around.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Glad the car is in good hands this time around.

Yeah me too, and let's just say I just had a fairly rough experience with Bumbera's with my Integra, so I am not all that confident in them anymore. Did you ever swing by and see the car?

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

mptighe

3321 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Originally posted by Tengis:

Lol if you check my join date Ive been on here for a long time Ive just lurked and never posted.

Well, yeah I saw you've been around since 2006 but now you're participating.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
OK, so here's the new news. Zack (Tengis) has been looking over the car, and here's what he's told me so far, besides the crap I already knew they F'd up.

1) The gas tank is crushed in. Apparently one of the geniuses at Split Second crushed it in with a floor jack. So, if anyone has a bigger gas tank for a 88 (or whatever years were the same), I'm willing to buy it.

2) The rear axles weren't even bolted in, and the car wobbles like they are going to fall out. So, I guess I need some "axle nuts".

3) The front side molding strips on the nose are both broken. "Hey let's take a bunch of plastic parts and throw them in with metal parts, they should be ok in there". Guess I need those too.

4) The center console is broken in several spots. I'll be driving to SA tomorrow to grab one. (Thanks Haggerty)

5) They never installed the LS6 springs, even though I paid for the springs and I know they had them. So, I bought another set.

My passenger sail panel was crazed when I dropped off the car back in December, but the driver's side WAS perfect. Not any more.

The shifter assembly is flat out missing, as are several other pieces. I'm honestly surprised my sound system is still in it.

I'm sure there's more. Look for my posts in the Mall for the needed replacement parts.
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
The gas tank crushed in is a real kick in the guts... my '84s tank was crushed and it really did limit the range just enough to make it irritating.

Let's just hope Tengis can get to shortening that list of cocked up work for you sooner rather than later!

------------------

Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Car wont even roll right now... gotta fix some crazy suspension issues in the back before I can even roll it back into the shop. Wheels do some crazy negative or positive camber until the tire hits something and wont go anywhere. Moved it all of three feet before we realized this... O_o

Jacking it up right now. Will take some pics of the gas tank that looks like Rosanne did a belly flop onto it.

EDIT: If anyone knows of an axle nut from a parts store that will work on a Fiero axle let me know.

[This message has been edited by Tengis (edited 08-29-2010).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Car wont even roll right now... gotta fix some crazy suspension issues in the back before I can even roll it back into the shop. Wheels do some crazy negative or positive camber until the tire hits something and wont go anywhere. Moved it all of three feet before we realized this... O_o

Jacking it up right now. Will take some pics of the gas tank that looks like Rosanne did a belly flop onto it.

EDIT: If anyone knows of an axle nut from a parts store that will work on a Fiero axle let me know.

Check the axles to insure they are built right being nothing else was done right on the car. I am sure the suspension links on the car are just thrown on there causing the issues. Good luck with the car and if you have any questions let me know.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Man, Zack is like as opposite as can be from the other guys. They had the car for like 6 months before they even took the original engine out. They never really did much other than move the car from here to there. Zack was texting me up until almost midnight on Saturday and again on Sunday letting me know what he was finding with the car. A guy a couple of doors down (Bruce, who apparently works more on imports) even came over Saturday and was looking the car over. He has owned 7 Fieros and knew quite a bit about them. the cool thing is he can help me straighten out the things that shop screwed up on my Integra. I have a REALLY good feeling about my cars now, where a few weeks ago I wanted to blow both of them up. Thanks for the help Zack, and let me know what else I can do. I'm working on the axle nuts and other things. Feed me info when you need something.
PFF
System Bot
Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
For the record... they sell the axle nuts at all auto parts stores. You just do a parts lookup over the phone or at the store and they apparently usually have axle nuts that fit a vast majority of axles in their nearest warehouse. Got two of them in three hours for $10.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Making progress again... well my wallet isn't but the car is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...me=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

and also some suspension goodies from Rodney Dickman and some brake replacement stuff (nothing exciting just replacing brake lines)...

Bradley Jay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post

Yeah me too, and let's just say I just had a fairly rough experience with Bumbera's with my Integra, so I am not all that confident in them anymore. Did you ever swing by and see the car?

I unfortunately didn't. I was hoping I'd see it at your house considering we lived close, but I soon lost track with all the college paperwork I had to finish. I might come back this weekend, so if you're available I wouldn't mind stopping by at all.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

I unfortunately didn't. I was hoping I'd see it at your house considering we lived close, but I soon lost track with all the college paperwork I had to finish. I might come back this weekend, so if you're available I wouldn't mind stopping by at all.

Sure thing, let me know and we can run up to bug Tengis and get in his way while he tries to work.
Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
Had to post this after ROFLing - first off, the blower has the worst port job Ive probably ever seen... and the boost bypass valve is WELDED SHUT. That is all .

http://zackx2.com/Random%20...haelsupercharger.jpg
http://zackx2.com/Random%20...Fiero/michaelbbv.jpg

[This message has been edited by Tengis (edited 09-03-2010).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
See, I told you we needed a new one. I could tell just by looking at it, and I know exactly squat about cars. I should post a video about this...

"This is your car... This is your car when your mechanic is on drugs...Any questions?"
Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
The rotors in the supercharger have seen better days but they will work - can get a set cheap at a junk yard. Next time I go Ill take a look for you. Supercharger snout is leaking some also but I just need to find some anaerobic sealant.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Had to post this after ROFLing - first off, the blower has the worst port job Ive probably ever seen... and the boost bypass valve is WELDED SHUT. That is all .

http://zackx2.com/Random%20...haelsupercharger.jpg
http://zackx2.com/Random%20...Fiero/michaelbbv.jpg

LOL--Looks like someone was making an arrow to lead you somewhere.....Will go great with those 42# injectors on the 3.2 pulley they where going to run with the swap. The BBV is no big deal as alot of swaps run with it deleted and blocked shut...My swap along with all that I have done except for one is that way....It is an on going debate around here on it...
Tengis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TengisSend a Private Message to TengisDirect Link to This Post
"It is an on going debate around here on it"
I dont know what there is to debate... straight from the horses mouth AKA Eaton.

"Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid."

Basically this says, "You will get better gas mileage with the bypass valve still operating correctly". You dont even need to wire up the solenoid to the PCM - I usually delete the solenoid on Grand Prixs anyway. You still make the same amount of boost but gain the ability to suck every last bit of gas mileage out of the car. Seems like a no brainer to me... dont understand why anyone would delete it completely.

And as for 4am updates: Cleaned up the engine bay by removing crap and rerouted the harness. Tons of pieces of the harness were hooked up but routed very strangely and terribly. I began making a PCM mount so that the PCM has a nice home to chill-out in.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock