Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Low_Profile Subwoofer, fit in Fiero ? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low_Profile Subwoofer, fit in Fiero ? by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 07-16-2009 09:56 PM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Pappy on 06-27-2011 06:21 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Saw this, kind of interesting, wonder if this would fit in a Fiero better than other sub woofers. Maybe behind seats ?

BossĀ® BASS1200 10" Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer

Dimensions Top-mount depth 2.8 inches Width 11.9 inches x 15.8 inches Weight 12.7 pounds

Power range 400-1200W watts RMS (continuous) power 800 watts Peak power 1200 watts

Frequency response 20Hz - 150Hz Connections RCA low-level input (2) Push terminal inputs (3)

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-16-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MileHighFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered one, should be here in the next few days. I will post pictures and give feedback

Jamison
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
What I cannot imagine is that they are getting 1200 watts out of that built in amp.
DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What I cannot imagine is that they are getting 1200 watts out of that built in amp.

A wizard did it
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the 8" 600W model
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Details on the 8' model.

With the BASS600, Boss Audio introduces a low-profile amplified subwoofer. Low enough to easily fit beneath the seat of your car, this system offers a quick and easy way to add a high-powered sub to your audio system.

Product Dimensions: 13.6 x 9.8 x 2.6 inches ; 9.5 pounds

Integrated Amplifier
The integrated amplifier in the BASS600 pumps out 400 Watts RMS (600 max) through its eight-inch speaker, and features a low pass crossover (adjustable from 20 to 150Hz) and a subsonic filter (adjustable from 20 to 50Hz), as well as a control for adjusting the input sensitivity from 0.2V to 6V.

Speaker and RCA Level Inputs
Both high level (speaker level) and low level (RCA type) inputs are present, making this a universal solution for use with any head unit or other input source.

Remote Control Module
For further flexibility in using your sub, a variable bass boost control is included--control the subwoofer level with the remote control module.

Protection Circuitry
The BASS600's amplifier incorporates special protection circuitry which will disable the amplifier if input overloads, short circuits, or extreme temperatures occur.

What's in the Box
BASS600 amplified subwoofer, remote subwoofer level control and cable, high level input harness/wire, mounting legs and screws

Product Description
The Boss Audio BASS600 8-inch slim profile amplified subwoofer with remote subwoofer level control is a must for your sound system. Amplified subwoofer systems make it easy to get great bass. These enclosures are precision designed and matched to the subwoofer for optimum bass response. Add a powerful built-in amplifier and you have a simple solution for adding "lows" to your system.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-17-2009).]

jokerb90

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jokerb90Send a Private Message to jokerb90Direct Link to This Post
I own one. Not installed in Fiero, yet. You aren't gonna win any stereo competitions, but it adds a healthy boom. I want to buy another, and install one behind each seat -- but I need to figure out if the remotes can be spliced into one. I had it stuffed behind the bench seat of a 91 toyota pickup, and pulled it before putting the truck up for sale. However, first is the 4.9 install that's waiting on the stand.........then tunes.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 05:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking at these for a while. Looking forward to additional feedback on them. Specifically interested in how they fit behind the seat and how much seat adjustment is lost as a result.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 07-17-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MileHighFiero:

Just ordered one, should be here in the next few days. I will post pictures and give feedback

Jamison

Looking forward to your feedback. Should be interesting.
DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
any luck getting and installing these yet??
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just got it today, it looks good. I got the interior stripped out. Looks like i will be replacing my heater core during this as well....

Update in a few hours. with pics....
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Update in a few hours. with pics....

Looking forward to your update.

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
oh i like!
how much? and where can i get one?
McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyDirect Link to This Post
I have one of these, the 8" it sits behind the passanger seat, eon't even know it's there
It sounds great, and adds some nice bass but as stated it's nothing to make you hold your ears or anything.
i recommend it, it's nice to have the controll knob as well.
goodluck
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that's peak. Did they post RMS anywhere?
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

oh i like!
how much? and where can i get one?

Ive seen them on ebay for around $150 (canadian dollars)
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
I Believe RMS is 400? I will check in the morning

Jamison
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McNasty:

I have one of these, the 8" it sits behind the passanger seat, eon't even know it's there
It sounds great, and adds some nice bass but as stated it's nothing to make you hold your ears or anything.
i recommend it, it's nice to have the controll knob as well.
goodluck

What do you think about the 10" version? I thought it was not much deeper. Should fit similarly.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have photo's yet ?
Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
These active 8" woofers are available in several brands but they are all the same and made in China but with differed outer shell..

I have two of these behind the seats and they sound great in the Fiero, not competition SPL but well enough to satisy most people, they play low and has rapid bass responce.. I would recomend them any day !!

In Sweden these are sold under at least 4 different brands, the one you showed looks identical to the MDS one, but I have checked and inside it is identical to mine from GAS audio..

http://www.mds.se/?artnr=DAX8

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

BOSS rates their products using ILS versus RMS. That amp will hit 1200 watts If Lighting Strikes (ILS). For the money it will improve bass, but like many companies the wattage is way overrated. I would venture it is worth about 100 clean on a good day with a good install. That might be stretching it too.

For the third time I am redesigning a sub box for behind the passenger seat using the 12" shallow Pioneer sub. The second gen box is still too deep at 6.25 inches. I will make the top side of the next box out of a piece of a junk fiberglass tonneau cover that has dynamated. That should save me about 1/2 inch. I will get another inch by reducing the space between the woofer magnet and back of the box to about 1/4 inch. The box will be bigger, but .65 cu just isn't that big no matter how you shape it. That will make the box just under 5" deep using 3/4 MDF for the back. The only other way I can see getting my box thinner is to use something different for the backside. My hope is that it won't rattle since I won't have the solid glue and screw construction of a fully wooden box.

My second generation box powered with a true 200 RMS watts from my RF amp is basically obnoxious in the Fiero. The 10" shallow will be the speaker I put in any other Fiero.
------------------
FieroDriver--Multimedia by J "Wudman" Wood--Explore Southern Illinois

[This message has been edited by Wudman (edited 07-23-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Something like this?

Just under 4" at the bottom and 2.75" at the top, gave me .5 cu.ft. for the 12" slim Blaupunkt.

labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
interested to know if one remote volume control can be spliced to function on two of the units so you will only have one control for both the driver's sub and the passenger's sub...anyone know or have thoughts on that?
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
i don't think that it can be spliced, it looks almost like a telephone jack. maybe i am wrong and maybe it can. To me i couldn't figure out how to do it.

Updade, I just finished the heater core, and i am starting to wire in the sub. more pics later but here are some to hold you over till then...

Specs

Bottom

Face?

it has a nice gloss finish to it and has a good appearance. it will be installed in a few hours and i will have more pics for you.

[This message has been edited by MileHighFiero (edited 07-23-2009).]

McNasty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McNastySend a Private Message to McNastyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

What do you think about the 10" version? I thought it was not much deeper. Should fit similarly.

I had purchased the 8" before the 10" was available,
But I have been thinking about getting the 10.
For me I don't think you really need alot of bass because our cabins are small,
so for my preference less is more, but the larger 10" is probably worth it, and i'll probably wind up upgrading eventually.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

interested to know if one remote volume control can be spliced to function on two of the units so you will only have one control for both the driver's sub and the passenger's sub...anyone know or have thoughts on that?

If it's like the old Alpine set-up then no you can't. They set the controls up like an electronic pre-gain control rather than like a volume knob.
Alpine use to have a mono sub amp that used a seperate control many years ago. The nice thing was if you pulled the control box apart you were able to wire the guts into the stock Fiero "Performance sound" control with the overhead lights. That way the stock overhead slider for the stock subwoofer worked with the Alpine amp.
I assume you can do the same with this unit if you were using just one sub.

If you want to use two of them, You might be able to pull the guts out of both boxes and install them into one box and then use a Dual Miniature Potentiometer so that you are controlling both amps with one knob. With removing the guts you could mount them anywhere in the car and even mount the control knob somewhere else.
Example would be to mount the control box near the sub then just the control knob onto the console by the cig lighter.
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!!!!

Installed. Let me tell you, I don't think that you need any more bass in your fiero. sure you can get it but this provides the right amount. Mounting was a small issue, the rubber leg mounts that they provided weren't made to support this unit at a steep angle so i found some right angle brackets that worked perfect, they will just nee some paint.

THIS THING HITS HARD AND WILL TAKE YOU BY SURPRISE!

[This message has been edited by MileHighFiero (edited 07-26-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE!!!!

THIS THING HITS HARD AND WILL TAKE YOU BY SURPRISE!

Got any pic's yet ?
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
how much was it?
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2009 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
I posted some out of the box pictures but here are some installed pictures, Sorry about the wait!

let me know if there is anything else you want to know about or want pictures of.

Jamsion
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a very clean installation. Thanks for posting & reviewing.

Do the seats go all the way back now ? Are you running one or two ?
PFF
System Bot
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. The seat goes damn near all the way back an i am only running one of these units right now, it provides plenty of bass for a small car like ours. i thought about running two of them but i am 6-5 and really need all the space behind my seat. I can try to get one of the seat as far back as it will go if you would like.

I am also using a Pioneer DEH-P7000UB which has a direct connect for my ipod. the system sounds great in my car
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Here you go guys - don't have to stand on your head looking at the pictures

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-28-2009).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
i have been told good things about these. a buddy of mine has an mr2 with them in it. me personaly i have had my share of subs and dont plan on doing anything insaine on my sound system for a long time.
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fierosound, i didnt even know that the pics were upside down! haha
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
What types of prices are you guys finding these for sale at? I just found out that I can get them for $150 for the 12" version and $140 for the 10" version.

DougC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

What types of prices are you guys finding these for sale at? I just found out that I can get them for $150 for the 12" version and $140 for the 10" version.

I'm seeing prices the same, but I'm not sure about how reputable the sites in question are
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Here you go guys - don't have to stand on your head looking at the pictures

That's the pic I was looking for. Just how much does the sub limit seat movement. I rarely have anyone in the passenger side anyway, but wanted to know.

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
A little google search showed all the best prices I could find....-Jason
This is the the Bass600

http://www.streetprices.com...S600-SP15224525.html
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
got mine for 150 shipped, through BUY.com
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock