Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Low_Profile Subwoofer, fit in Fiero ? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Low_Profile Subwoofer, fit in Fiero ? by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 07-16-2009 09:56 PM
Replies: 95
Last post by: Pappy on 06-27-2011 06:21 PM
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you could mount it a little lower and you'd be able to move the seat further back.
IP: Logged
NewKidOnTheBlock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewKidOnTheBlockSend a Private Message to NewKidOnTheBlockDirect Link to This Post
Will be ordering one/a pair of them soon!
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
I really like this idea, but im reading some not so hot things...http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=315474

Maybe just bias against the brand?
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

I really like this idea, but im reading some not so hot things...http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=315474

I'd be more apt to believe what I hear from others here on PFF.

Can anyone who has been running one of these for a while comment?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 08-10-2009).]

cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
It is just bias against the brand. That is a car audio forum where anything that isn't high end is crap. There is nothing wrong with Boss products. They have some decent products that work well. Granted the power ratings are exaggerated, but that goes with the territory for their level of product.

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
I figured as much. I just did some quick searching, and that's what i came up with so i figured i would share. Anyone have one installed yet?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Anyone have one installed yet?

Yes, I would love to hear from someone having one installed behind the seat.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 08-11-2009).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

sjmaye

2468 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Double Post

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 08-11-2009).]

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

I figured as much. I just did some quick searching, and that's what i came up with so i figured i would share. Anyone have one installed yet?

Originally posted by sjmaye:

Yes, I would love to hear from someone having one installed behind the seat.

Look on page 1 of this post, MileHighFiero posted shots of the system he just installed.

A few other members that have one talk about them on page 1 also.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Now that you have had it for a little time. What are your opinions of the sound?
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2009 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
SpaceNeedle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2009 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaceNeedleSend a Private Message to SpaceNeedleDirect Link to This Post
To anyone interested in buying this subwoofer. Try buying it from Amazon.com who I like to call 'the walmart of the internet'

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref...le+subwoofer&x=0&y=0

Just click the link, or go to www.amazon.com and type in: boss low profile subwoofer

I have bought various items from Amazon, and have had no problems whatsoever with the company. And 90% of the time, they have the lowest price you will find anywhere else.

Edit: Read the reviews of the sub woofer on amazon, there are plenty of reviews, so you will get an idea of the quality of the woofer

[This message has been edited by SpaceNeedle (edited 09-29-2009).]

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2009 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
Dont get the 8" like i did. Go for the 12". The boom boom pow is rather good. I took my 8" inch back and got this one. Funny thing is it was the same price??? Go figure. Sounds way better...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LAMBO:

Something like this?

Just under 4" at the bottom and 2.75" at the top, gave me .5 cu.ft. for the 12" slim Blaupunkt.

I have the same speaker in 10 inch and I built a box near half that size and it sounds great. (However for some reason I thought I calculated .5 cu ft for mine, though mine is 3/8 inch plywood.) Mounted behind the passenger seat, still enough room to sit comfortably for most people.

I left the grille on it to protect the sub face.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-29-2009).]

MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have had mine installed for 3 months now and have no problems, provides great low end which we all know the stock system lacks. If you would like to know the amount of bass this adds I can tell you i no longer have a rear view mirror, It will surprise you. Let me know about any other questions.

Jamison
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I just found a link on RadioShack for those, http://www.radioshack.com/p...KSuxxLypcaoOIg6UE2FQ

Reg.: $129.99
You save: -$13.00
$116.99
(sale price) Valid until 10/31/09

This is a web only purchase, but they have a "Ship to store" program, which gives you free shipping.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-01-2009).]

Jurai

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JuraiSend a Private Message to JuraiDirect Link to This Post
anyone have video????? can this be stuck into the glove box between the seats? i mean remove the door or what ever and stick it in there?

p.s what about the 12" ? glove box...

[This message has been edited by Jurai (edited 10-01-2009).]

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone has found comparison reviews with other similar set ups, or even heard a few different ones
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jurai:

anyone have video????? can this be stuck into the glove box between the seats? i mean remove the door or what ever and stick it in there?

p.s what about the 12" ? glove box...

there is no 12inch. there is an 8 and a 10, unless they recently made a 12.

nightonfire, there will likely be very few reviews on anything like the slim Boss. i have the BASS1200, and i recommend getting the BASS1500 (the upgraded version of the BASS1200). simple install, and acceptable bass if you are just looking to get a little more than just filling in the lows.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
just my 2 bits, shallow subs are generally not the prefered sub due to their lack of performance. not saying they're crap but deep subs are always better. Ofcourse the chances are you may not beable to tell the difference
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

just my 2 bits, shallow subs are generally not the prefered sub due to their lack of performance. not saying they're crap but deep subs are always better. Ofcourse the chances are you may not beable to tell the difference

obviously people would prefer a full sub, but the Boss BASSxxxx models are nice to just fill in the lows till you can get a REAL woofer. and they take no modification to install. run wires, mounted behind seat, done. thats what im doing for now till i get my fullsized 12inch BTL.
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
hoping installing my dual 12 deep subs wont be too bad, cut away some of the fire wall etc. i just gotta find out the req'd volume for the box
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

hoping installing my dual 12 deep subs wont be too bad, cut away some of the fire wall etc. i just gotta find out the req'd volume for the box

if its not too much trouble, would you mind PMing me the approx. airspace you get for the boxes after cutting the firewall partly away? if i cant get enough money for my plans, id like to just put in two smaller 12s/10s behind the seats like you are doing and others have done. also, what subs exactly are you using?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Don't cut anything!!!

Look up 13TW5 and be done..... max 500 watt with .5 cu' of air sealed. Sorry guys but I'll have to pass on the Boss.. JL is where it's at.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Don't cut anything!!!

Look up 13TW5 and be done..... max 500 watt with .5 cu' of air sealed. Sorry guys but I'll have to pass on the Boss.. JL is where it's at.

you know not everyone has $500 to shell out for a shallow sub, right? if yer gunna spend that much, just get a "REAL" woofer and build a box in the passenger footwell, hidden, like a few members already have. better sound AND far cheaper.obviously Boss straight up sucks, and JL is pretty good, but not the best. JL is far too overpriced for the average consumer. the Boss sub is for people who either have little cash, need a quick fix, or just want something cheap small and easy to fill in the lows.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
MA audio 12" competition subs. 800 plus watts each. i hope to get them in during the summer but i'll be tinkering with dimenions soon so i'll let yaknow what i find out.

sorry about all the typos...cat + open laptop = bad kb lol.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
$325 out here in Cali! ... I've owned the first 12W5's... They are still hitting and they are 15 years or so old... I think it's worth it.. Save up and don't rush into something that you can't change back... You know? I understand clearly though.. Money's tight for me too.

Almost a low price.. Free shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDI...&hash=item3efee0951b

BUMP HARD

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
i know the 13tw5s hit pretty hard. ive seen videos of ONE rattling things off of shelves in some guys garage. i still think if you are going to shell out the cash, just get a "real" sub and put it in the footwell. will be cheaper, and unless you dont know what you are doing, will likely sound better as well.

and TBH, if i had LOADS of cash, id have the 13tw5s right now. but, i dont lol, so im saving my cash to get a BEAST of a sub and make sure i have the money to get it fitted somewhere lol..
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
So after many different plans and stereo set ups, I had been deciding on which route to take this time for a sub, I had bought an RE AUDIO (SR) and was going to do a front trunk install. With time no longer a luxury I coincidentally found this thread and became interested in the product and decided to purchase the 10" Boss 1500, although there is a 10" Boss "1200" version also available, I decided on the 1500 series. I dont really know point for point what the differences are, but had to get the better version. I wanted an easy, quick, and reasonably priced options, and went in with low expectations. I have had alot of systems in my cars and also installed alot in the past for others and feel that i can make an informed opinion of the sub-woofer, after installing today I drove around four hours with my radio going pretty hard, and from this test run I can say I am very happy with the sub-woofer. I am shockingly impressed, I have never heard the 8" or the other 10" 1200 version, but the 10" 1500 is unbelievable, I listen to all types of music and tested it out and am totally happy. I paid $157 total, but if there is any serious interest I may try to work a group buy and see if i can get a better price for forum members. Im keep running it pretty hard for about a week to see if it will hold up and will let you know.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:
and from this test run I can say I am very happy with the sub-woofer. I am shockingly impressed, I have never heard the 8" or the other 10" 1200 version, but the 10" 1500 is unbelievable, I listen to all types of music and tested it out and am totally happy. I paid $157 total, but if there is any serious interest I may try to work a group buy and see if i can get a better price for forum members. Im keep running it pretty hard for about a week to see if it will hold up and will let you know.

i have the BASS1200, and it too is surprisingly awesome lol. i wanted the 1500, but i wanted it ASAP for my birthday, and the 1500 wasnt going to be out for another month mine doesnt hit the low lows too well, but some notes it hits hard enough to feel like its forcing air in and out of you lungs lol
nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you are happy also, but if you can sell the 1200 and get the 1500 I am sure you will enjoy it, it does hit some really low lows, and also hits pretty hard, and i havent even dialed it in yet. What a good surprise for once !!!
PFF
System Bot
Mike142

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike142Send a Private Message to Mike142Direct Link to This Post
A few thoughts:

1. Has anyone used dished and vented fiberglass big-woofers? Just wondering. I was thinking of cutting out behind the seats with a fiberglass dish for 10 or 12" subs.
2. If you were going to use two of these things, you could measure the range of the remote (just a potentiometer, right?) and get a dual-pot to control the two of them, something like this:

http://www.newoldsounds.com...9800a4f5731e45f8d370

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I love when a good thread bumps after a big sleep

I have had the BOSS 10" in my Fiero for well over a year now and it is exceptional

The true wattage of this thing is a lot lower than advertised. I like a tight bass not the rubbery vibrate the head off chickens bass. I have my amp set at about 1/4 turn and I get decent rich tight bass (no distortion that is)

My 2 cents on more than one sub. Car audio usually pass bass frequencies in mono and bass is omnidirectional, so in a small cabin like the Fiero you would probably be better off using one sub and the space you were going to use for the second sub could be used for other things i.e. electronics, tool roll, a trunk marmoset, pangolin or good ol leg room

When money is tight - This is a great non-invasive, totally reversible option

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 06-26-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

Car audio usually pass bass frequencies in mono and bass is omnidirectional,

I'm a bit confused on that part. How does car audio usually pass bass frequencies in mono?

And while bass is considred omindirectional, that doesn't mean it's directionless. I have music that pulses bass frequencies back and forth between the right and left channels and you can hear/feel it (well you can if you are using 2 subs instead of one in a mono configuration).
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-26-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
I'm a bit confused on that part. How does car audio usually pass bass frequencies in mono?

And while bass is considred omindirectional, that doesn't mean it's directionless. I have music that pulses bass frequencies back and forth between the right and left channels and you can hear/feel it (well you can if you are using 2 subs instead of one in a mono configuration).

They don't. Car stereos (generally) have 2 channels, and bass does not get split evenly across them.

And "bass" is not even omnidirectional. It is still directional. It just has a significantly wider listening angle than high frequency sounds, because the surface area of an 8" woofer is significantly larger than that of a 0.75" tweeter. Having a bunch of stuff in the car that vibrates due to the bass doesn't mean the going in every direction from the original point. It means the vibrations are being picked up, reproduced, and emitted in different directions by all the other parts in the cabin.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

They don't. Car stereos (generally) have 2 channels, and bass does not get split evenly across them.

And "bass" is not even omnidirectional. It is still directional. It just has a significantly wider listening angle than high frequency sounds, because the surface area of an 8" woofer is significantly larger than that of a 0.75" tweeter. Having a bunch of stuff in the car that vibrates due to the bass doesn't mean the going in every direction from the original point. It means the vibrations are being picked up, reproduced, and emitted in different directions by all the other parts in the cabin.

Thanks Dobey, that's what I was getting at.

The only reason mono bass is so common in car audio is lazyness IMHO. Car audio doesn't make bass mono, the headunit puts out a stereo signal, it's the choice of the owner that makes it mono, when they bridge an amp to a single sub or feed the headunits signal into a mono block amp. People tend to be more preoccupied by SPL then accuracy ( I can't exclude myself from that completely, I do like my SPL, but I also like keeping my bass in stereo ). If SPL is all that matters then stereo seperation and accuracy go by the way side and who cares if bass is mono. While yes I will be using mono block sub amps in my car I will be using one for the right signal and another for the left. I will keep the right signal going to the right woofer and the left signal going to the left woofer.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-26-2011).]

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Dobey, that's what I was getting at.

The only reason mono bass is so common in car audio is lazyness IMHO. Car audio doesn't make bass mono, the headunit puts out a stereo signal, it's the choice of the owner that makes it mono, when they bridge an amp to a single sub or feed the headunits signal into a mono block amp. People tend to be more preoccupied by SPL then accuracy ( I can't exclude myself from that completely, I do like my SPL, but I also like keeping my bass in stereo ). If SPL is all that matters then stereo seperation and accuracy go by the way side and who cares if bass is mono. While yes I will be using mono block sub amps in my car I will be using one for the right signal and another for the left. I will keep the right signal going to the right woofer and the left signal going to the left woofer.

I apologize to you both

I didn't realize my head-units sub woofer preamp output was stereo
Low frequencies do seem to pass through dense material better than higher frequencies so it would seem, and since I feel bass as pressure I reckon I sense it as omnidirectional

It's really awesome that you have a great system in your car and can afford to do it, but calling me Lazy because I can't afford a set of subs and an amp is kinda low man.

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 06-26-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

It's really awesome that you have a great system in your car and can afford to do it, but calling me Lazy because I can't afford a set of subs and an amp is kinda low man.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you are lazy, it's more the industry has taken the lazy way out and pushes products that promote this approach. They use the idea that bass is omnidirectional to give the impression that mono... stereo... it really doesn't matter, but it does make a difference from a accuracy point.

Also, I didn't really spend much more then the Boss unit on mine. However that's more because I took electronics courses and have been around car audio long enough that I can do repairs. So my sub amps, which would normally cost around $300.00 each cost me about $100.00 for both, since I bought them broken and bought the parts and repaired them. It's not so much that I can afford to do it, more that I can repair amps so they don't cost me near as much as they could.

I bought 2 of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT which was $80.00 and then spent about $20.00 on new mosfets for the power rails which were blown on each.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-26-2011).]

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Look man I didn't come here looking for a fight I was simply stating my thoughts and feelings...

I used to build competition systems back in the 80s using ADS and Orion amps and electronics, so I'm no stranger to car audio. Now that I'm in my 50s i reckon my archaic knowledge isn't up to today's standards, but I'm pretty sure of what I know.

Sorry to have struck a cord
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

While yes I will be using mono block sub amps in my car I will be using one for the right signal and another for the left. I will keep the right signal going to the right woofer and the left signal going to the left woofer.

Quoted for truth. I used to have a set up like this in my Suburban for my two RF T1's with two separate Alpine 1000W monoblocks. One for each speaker was perfect! Now I have those 10's in the trunk of my Cadillac running off one Rockford mono amp and there is a definite difference in sound reproduction.

I still haven't decided how I want to do the sound setup in my Fiero... which is good because I have no funds to get that setup yet...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock