My C5 / C4 hybrid brake system for the Fiero SS by TD37
Started on: 04-06-2008 02:32 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: Francis T on 01-15-2011 11:09 AM
TD37

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I'm finally at a point where I can really show everyone what I did with my brakes. I've been pretty public about my front C5 setup but didn't really explain what I was doing with the rear. If you don't know, the C5 Corvettes didn't use a caliper based e-brake. The e-brake was inside of the rotor like a mini drum brake. So, you can't really use C5 rear calipers unless you don't need an e-brake or want to go through the trouble of putting all the crap from the C5 on the Fiero. So, I went with the very common 88-96 Corvette rear brakes that use a caliper based e-brake. BUT! It would look really weird to have the nice smooth C5 calipers in front and the ribbed C4 calipers in the rear. I went to work and built some custom aluminum covers to go over the calipers and make them look just like a single piston variation of the front C5 calipers. I'll shut up and let the pics do the talking.

Finished front brakes

Finished rear brakes

The rear brake components

The whole thing, but blurry...

What do you think?

-Tim

[This message has been edited by TD37 (edited 04-14-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I like the rear bracket cover idea.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Extremely Nice work!!!!!!!
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
Brakes look great ! I saw your car at the Fierorama last year and... darn .... it is a sweet car !

I myself am looking for drilled rotors for my Grand Am brakes. Found set of 4 with pads for around 200 bucks.

Again, awesome job !

dominik
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Wow, 3 replies at 2AM haha. I'm the same way...

Thanks to everyone. I highly recommend rotorpros.com. I got my set for $250 shipped and that was redrilled 5x100 and the centers coated black. I'm sure with smaller rotors that don't need to be drilled they would be much cheaper. And skip the "coating" I think its just thick epoxy paint.

-Tim
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
TD37- What you have done is exactly what i wanted to do. I currently have the same calipers and rotors as you do out back and in the front i have the corvette J55 heavy duty 13 inch rotors with the 2 piston calipers. But i want to upgrade the fronts to the newer C5 setup with the larger front calipers. Did you just make a simple bracket to adapt the corvette caliper bracket to the fiero knuckle? I have heard that you also have to move the bottom mount for the shock in further for caliper clearance. Is this true? Also what pads are you using? Thanks Daniel
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I like the ribbed look but I will say your covers are very nice
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
daniel87fierogt - I had also heard that the shock would need to be remounted. I got around that with some extra machining. You are probably very familiar with the front spindles and how the brakes mount to them. You're bracket mounts to the back of the spindle right? As the front or outside of the spindle is just cast. I machined the front of the spindle flat and used that to mount off of. That gained me a bunch of room not having the bracket hanging behind the knuckle. I also took about 1/8" off the back of the caliper itself. I'm not sure it was 100% necessary to do it but I wanted plenty of room. I should have plenty of room even at full lock. I may be really tight at full lock, but how many times are we really steering at full lock and applying the brakes hard? I went with EBC Yellowstuff pads. They are the track/street pads since I take the car on Road America from time to time. I've heard very good things but have had no experience with EBC before. A word of warning about EBC pads, whatever color they are (REDstuff, GREENstuff, YELLOWstuff), the pads come in that color. I had to re-paint my front pads black so I wouldn't have nasty looking yellow pads on my nice red calipers. The rears came black, why? I don't know...

-Tim

Here is the pick of my bracket template. I then made this out of aluminum.

[This message has been edited by TD37 (edited 04-14-2010).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Wow thats actually very convincing, great job!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Who performed the "Corvette" logo on the rear? I like this option on my soon-to-be rear C5 brakes.

Edit: forgot pic, hehe.
The rear brake components

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-06-2008).]

TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
madcurl - The corvette on the rear is just silver vinyl. My local vinyl guy made them up for me, nothing special.

Do you have a set of rear C5 calipers yet? I had to buy a full set to get the ones I used for the fronts so I've got a pair of rears laying here that I need to get rid of if you need some. I'm assuming you want to do the covers on the C5 calipers right? I'm looking at one of the rears and there is no place to put "corvette" on it the way it is.

See -

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

-Tim
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

madcurl - The corvette on the rear is just silver vinyl. My local vinyl guy made them up for me, nothing special.

Do you have a set of rear C5 calipers yet? I had to buy a full set to get the ones I used for the fronts so I've got a pair of rears laying here that I need to get rid of if you need some. I'm assuming you want to do the covers on the C5 calipers right? I'm looking at one of the rears and there is no place to put "corvette" on it the way it is.

See -

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

-Tim

Yes, but thank you for the offer. Here's mine.

Originally posted by madcurl:

14" Baer rear Corvette rotors/brackets/caliper @ 26.0 pounds compared to 24.0 pound using the front OEM Corvette front caliper and 13" rotor. In my case, using the Baer rear application vs. OEM (but in the rear) I'm gaining 2-pounds.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I want to go to 13"/12" some time soon. But I probably would grind the Corvette name as it is not it. But that's just me.
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Anyway is there anyway to use C4 (ribbed) brakes front and rear with your covers that say "Fiero" on them?

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 04-06-2008).]

FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, I'm interested for an '88.

Originally posted by htexans1:
Anyway is there anyway to use C4 (ribbed) brakes front and rear with your covers that say "Fiero" on them?

Why would you want to use C4 in the front (2-piston vs the C5 4-piston)?
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
FierociousGT - Actually, C5 are only 2 piston as well. C6 Z06 are the massive 6 piston, but every other C6 is also just a 2 piston design. I would bet that you could never tell the difference betwee the C4 HD 13" brakes and the C5 13". So someone who wanted to upgrade that way would seem trivial to me, but to each their own.

Ok, I didn't really expect this much interest in caliper covers. I am throwing around the idea of making these but I'm really not sure how to go about it. I might start a new thread asking some more experienced entrepeneurs on here how they go about their fiero side business.

-Tim
procarnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job TD37!

I think that is how it should be done. As you already know I did the C5 front and rears... Too much work for the back. So your combination is probably the best.

Just FYI...Remove the stock Proportioning valve from the stock Combi valve set up. It's the one under the nut in the rear of the combi-valve. Just take out the piston (red part) and Seal the vent opening in the nut. Then get yourself a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and put it in line between the Master cylinder and the combi-valve in the front line. Then you can adjust your brake bias. I did and it made a world of difference!.

Anyway great job and let us how it goes.

Bob
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks TD37.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
add to favs
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!

Tim, any updates for the '88s? What happened to the pics?

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 06-24-2008).]

TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I'm not sure what happened with the pics, I haven't changed anything on my cardomain site. As for an update, I've put about 400 miles on the car and went through the bed in procedure for the Yellow stuff pads that EBC wants you to do. They still are pretty squeeky from time to time and I probably should have went with the Red stuff since these brakes are going to be amazing with just about any pad; I really didn't need the semi-track pad. I've got the biased pretty well dialed in but I want to put a little more in the rear and see how that feels. I had a big test the other day coming home. I popped over a steep hill doing about 65 or so and there were 2 deer in the middle of the road. I jumped on them very hard and they stopped amazing! They didn't stop as straight as I would like them, they actually pulled a little to the left. Nothing that a little counter steer couldn't fix but not ideal. I'm hoping the bias change will cure some of that. So, I've got no complaints with any of my stuff. The rotorpros rotors still look nice and don't make much if any noise like I've heard from other slotted and drilled rotors. They will start to rust VERY fast though. Some rain came under my garage door during the deluge of the midwest a few weeks ago and overnight the rotors had an orange coloring on the pad contact surface. I'm planning on taking it on Road America in about mid July for some hot laps as long as everything stays sorted out. Before then I will pull the wheels off and inspect and double check everything. I'll update the forum after the track day hopefully with some badass pics from the track photographer. I didn't get much exposure with the blacked out stock wheels but I've got a feeling they will pay more attention with the monster brakes and new wheels.

As far as producing these, I have a feeling that it will never happen. All of my access to machines and material is pretty much gone since my dad has gone into semi-retirement from his job of 35+ years which got me all the shop time.

-Tim
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

As far as producing these, I have a feeling that it will never happen. All of my access to machines and material is pretty much gone since my dad has gone into semi-retirement from his job of 35+ years which got me all the shop time.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I'm glad I got mine before your dad retired.

FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

-Tim

NP, at least the proven idea has been done thanks to you.
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
Hey Madcurl, I'm glad you finally opened the box haha! I hope you are happy with them. Personally, I'm not very happy that the slot isn't centered on the caliper even if you can't see it.

-Tim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Hey Madcurl, I'm glad you finally opened the box haha! I hope you are happy with them. Personally, I'm not very happy that the slot isn't centered on the caliper even if you can't see it.

-Tim

Yeah, it’s a bit off centered, but so what. The part is definitely better looking now than before. Once it's painted and mounted nobody will tell the difference.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Tim sent you a PM.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tim, did you ever figure out the emergency brakes on your set-up? I forgot to ask you about that.
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
WOW this thread came back from the dead! Basically everything Fiero stopped for me shortly after this thread because my 100k+ mile 4 speed finally gave into the big torque from the V8 and it sat from late June on. I had the e-brake working for a while basically routed like stock but with different ends. This required the cable to have a severe 90* angle off of the lower control arm. It seemed to work just fine for a few weeks even though it took a lot of pull on the handle to fully engage. But then one of the swage sleeves pulled apart and I was going to re-engineer it later because it was way too much stress on the cable and other connections. I believe the way to do it is to re-route the e-brake cables further forward in the cradle and drill new holes in the frame. I think that is what West coast Fiero suggests. Hopefully something will come to me while I've got the cradle out. Sorry, I really am no help there. I'll try to answer everyones PM's and emails about the Vette brakes but keep in mind this was a pretty simple task because I had full access to a machine shop and materials at no cost. The bracket(s) are the easy parts, modifying the front spindles is the tough part.

-Tim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Good news. I should have the brakes in two weeks. I know the cover will add some "pop" to the rear caliper.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Very nice..... I am not sure why you have the "Corvette" on the calipers still.... I would think you would want to leave that off, as it would look more custom. Just a thought.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Very nice..... I am not sure why you have the "Corvette" on the calipers still.... I would think you would want to leave that off, as it would look more custom. Just a thought.

True, but I can see his point; whereas it don't say Chevet or MADE IN CHINA , its says CORVETTE

BTW: Great job!

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock