Help ID-ing this interior by Austrian Import
Started on: 03-16-2007 02:07 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: Austrian Import on 02-06-2012 08:41 PM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I found this when browsing through the PFF "Fiero Gallery".

I did a ton of searching, but I can't find any mention of this interior whatsoever. (Partially because I don't really know what search string to use with a picture :/ )

I would like to know more about this custom interior. The history, what was involve, who made it, etc. If anyone has more than those 3 pictures that would be awesome too.
I don't know if there are other threads for this interior, but if they are, please point me to them.

-M

*edited to fix broken picture links*

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-16-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Wished I knew. That's purdy. Looks like it uses a lot of the existing parts from a stock interior too.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I would guess that a '90 prototype interior
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

Nope, proto looks like the regular interior, with a few of the edges rounded off. That looks like a modified Pisa interior. -Jason

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Nope, proto looks like the regular interior, with a few of the edges rounded off. That looks like a modified Pisa interior. -Jason

yup - just went and looked - simaler to this one:
http://pisafierohq.com/interiors/fiero_3-08/
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
I'm not so sure about that. It incorporates the aux. gauges and the Pisa dash doesn't. If someone started with a Pisa piece to make this one, I don't think there was much left. Might be a scratch-built piece.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
This was a one-off interior that a guy did many years ago. He is somewhere in Europe. I talked to him and he wasn't interested in making more. It is a gorgeous interior though.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

Yea, that was one of my guesses. I double checked it though. the '89 Fiero interior is grey and looks like a rounded version of the normal Fiero interior.
Are you sure that it's a modified Pisa interior? Which one? I've looked at Pisa's website, and it doesn't look like either the wraparound or the Euro style. Did they have another style?

Originally posted by Songman:

This was a one-off interior that a guy did many years ago. He is somewhere in Europe. I talked to him and he wasn't interested in making more. It is a gorgeous interior though.

Cool, this is already more than I knew before. Songman do you know anything else about that interior? I would love to see more pics or get more info.

-M

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-16-2007).]

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
Looks like a modified Fiero Factory LTD's euro interior to me....the binacles look alike....

http://www.fierocountry.us
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Factory dash is more squared than this one. Other than that it does look similar.

I really don't know any more about this dash anymore. At one time, I had a lot of pictures of the dash as it was being made that the builder had sent me but I have lost tons of pictures during server changes over the years. But I can tell you that this is not some other dash modded. This is a completely scratch-built unit. I seem to remember that the owner e-mailed me once asking if I wanted to buy this because he was going to build himself another style. That was at least 5 years ago though because I still lived in TN then.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Songman. It already helped quite a bit.

*bump*
Is there anybody that has more pictures of this interior, or know what thread they were in, so I can find out more info?
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
The guy who originally built this interior was named Eddie Snaauw from the Netherlands. He sold the molds to Scott Tilden, from Las Vegas, who was going to make molds and sell kits. This was 7 years ago and to my knowledge it never happened.

More pics...

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 03-20-2007).]

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTDirect Link to This Post

Songman beat me to it...

Brett

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 03-20-2007).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Apparently a couple of kits got out over the years...

This one covered in leather.

This is a single color one that Scott Tilden supposedly built. Word is that it was nowhere near the quality of Eddy's original and he wanted $2400 for the dash kit. That is probably why we don't see them for sale.

Scott Tilden did have an automotive shop in Las Vegas called Crickettworks if anyone wants to look him up and see if he still has the molds.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2007 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by ITALGT:
Songman beat me to it...

Brett

Yeah, Can't sleep so here I sit looking at the forum... Is that sad or what? haha

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for. More pictures to serve as inspiration, and it's cool to read the background story of these kits.

-Max
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I have witnessed Eddy building this dash, also saw the finished dash and the blue one later. As far as I know the 3 posted versions are the only ones that were made. Alas Eddy sold both of his Fiero's several years ago, the second fiero was supplied with a basic fiberglass copy that was upholstered later (the blue one). He made molds that were sold to the mentioned Scott Tilden.
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, Can't sleep so here I sit looking at the forum... Is that sad or what? haha

That's not sad... around here we call that NORMAL!
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Don't let the forum clock fool you. It was around 4AM for me.
Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Those dash pieces have a good leve of detail with all the curled edges, & pockets maybe even some undercuts that can't be seen in the photos. I can imagine dedicating two to three work days to fabricating just the main dash piece especially if there are subsequent attachments involved like brackets & mounting tabs. I like that the designer tried to keep things simple by using as many stock components as possible to keep costs down. I would have expected the kit to sell well. I wonder why it wasn't more popular.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:
I wonder why it wasn't more popular.

I blame global warming again.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Rob, from what I know of the kit the original designer had no desire to sell them and just did it for himself. He sold molds to a company in the Netherlands and after doing on dash (the blue one) they decided that it was too much work for what they could charge for it. The original designer also sold a set of molds to the guy in Las Vegas who apparently did only one dash (the grey one) and the quality was awful, the changes he made to the original weren't very pleasing, and he wanted too much money for an inferior product and even at that price he didn't follow through for the few people who were interested. That is the story as I understand it of why this dash never became popular.

Or it could have been global warming.. Who knows?

Or Al Gore pretending it was global warming to scare people...

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 03-22-2007).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Songman. Most basic dashes aren`t too expensive but when you look at what upholstery costs it goes way out of budget for a lot of people unless you are using a Fiero as a platform for some exotic replica. If someone would sell a fully upolstered dash that was resonably priced he might have better luck but a lot of them require quite a bit of expertise to upholster them.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I agree with Songman. Most basic dashes aren`t too expensive but when you look at what upholstery costs it goes way out of budget for a lot of people unless you are using a Fiero as a platform for some exotic replica. If someone would sell a fully upolstered dash that was resonably priced he might have better luck but a lot of them require quite a bit of expertise to upholster them.

Yea, I wish there were easy ways to upholster a dash. Maybe DIY would lower the price. I don't know.

-M
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

True, the dash you are working on has some amazingly good upholstery. Maybe you just chose shapes that were easy to upholster, but either way it looks great.

I don't know why no one sells an upholstered dash, I guess it's classic chicken and egg. There is no demand because one doesn't exist, and no one will build one until there is demand.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
If I could figure out a way to make upholstering the instrument hump a little easier the dash I built would not take much to upholster because the basic shape is a matter of stapling the bottom and pulling the vinyl straight around and staple to the top. Cut holes for the vents and just pop them in. I`m thinking about experimenting with a removable instrument pod like the one on this post so that you could upholster it first before attaching to the main dash.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
For Amida - I think the reason that the dash kit didn't sell very was was the $2000 + asking price.....
Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Why not build that dash? It wouldn't be hard at all, it would just take some time.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Why not build that dash? It wouldn't be hard at all, it would just take some time.

build me one.I want it covered in black Swede.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
That is one of very, very few replacement dash's for the Fiero that I would actually consider paying money for.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2007 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

build me one.I want it covered in black Swede.

Suede, Pokey. Sheesh.
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

After I build mine
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

That is one of very, very few replacement dash's for the Fiero that I would actually consider paying money for.

Yea, I know. This dash looks better (maybe) that some lambo dashes. I was totally exited when I first saw those pics, searched all over the internet for more info. Glad to have finally found some, although saddened that it's a dead end. :*-(

Maybe it will serve as inspiration to make one from scratch. *dreaming* Wish there were build threads for that interior so I had something to work with.

-M

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 04-01-2007).]

drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post
OK....I just got off the phone with Scott from Crickettworks. He offered the molds to me for this kit. They include the dash and door panels. He purchased them from Eddie for $25,000 and put another 25 into them. Apparently, they were just made for Eddies car so they were not really production molds. Scott made them into production molds and offered them to me for a price that I am not disclosing at this time. I am going to talk with Doug at the Fiero Warehouse first and possibly to Sage about this and see if they are interested.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drumwzrd:

OK....I just got off the phone with Scott from Crickettworks. He offered the molds to me for this kit. They include the dash and door panels. He purchased them from Eddie for $25,000 and put another 25 into them. Apparently, they were just made for Eddies car so they were not really production molds. Scott made them into production molds and offered them to me for a price that I am not disclosing at this time. I am going to talk with Doug at the Fiero Warehouse first and possibly to Sage about this and see if they are interested.

50 Gs for molds??

That's a lot of dashes to recoup.

Originally posted by Whuffo:

Suede, Pokey. Sheesh.

Hey give me a break. Check for bad spelling in my posts. I don't use no spell checker. One miss and you're out for blood.

drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post
High price for the molds but you could pay it off in 25 kits for 2,000 each. I'm sure many more people would like that interior.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drumwzrd:

50 Gs for molds??

That's a lot of dashes to recoup.

No kidding, that's real pricey!!! I know intellectual property is worth money, but sheesh. They're not even production ready molds..
With a high price tag this dash might be doomed like the original was back in the day. And it's such a gorgeous dash.... :*-(
I guess good things just have to cost tons of money... oh well As long as they're made..

Originally posted by Whuffo:

Suede, Pokey. Sheesh.

Hey give me a break. Check for bad spelling in my posts. I don't use no spell checker. One miss and you're out for blood.

Pokey you can always cheat and use firefox. Gotta love that built in spell checker.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 04-02-2007).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
ttt
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
That is a beautiful dash for sure. The Fieros dash does look a bit dated, but as I've pointed out, a huge improvement can be made by just replacing the speedometer console with an arched top console. This easy and inexpensvie modification improves the looks and requires only a basic rewiring. There was a guy on this forum that made a modern looking custom bolt-on speedometer console from another car ( may have been a Fierbird) and it looked great in the Fiero. It's not for those who want an all new dash but it did look really nice.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

Nope I have pictures of the 1990 no where close
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay