Started on: 11-02-2006 08:36 PM
Replies: 354
Last post by: Arizona85GT on 01-15-2011 11:32 PM
Clint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT:
already there... way back on pg. 16. A pic of her and a pic of both of us.

Where is she in the Girls WITH Fiero's Thread?

------------------
-Nickster

IP: Logged
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know. Also have you made any progress on the paint?
MclarenF1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
BUMP! How much would you say this paint weighs compared to regular auto paint?
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
need more pics of the girl

oh yeah, the car is lookin good too
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
since the weather is gettin colder and colder each day, I've been slowly taking parts off and bringing them in the house.... I have the hood off and it has a few coats on it now. Its looking cherry!!!!

I found a very good clear coat to use on this paint!!!!

<minwax> fast-drying Polyurethance Superior Durability Clear Gloss!!!! If you mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits.... WOW it looooks sharp!!! I'll post pics soon!!

------------------

davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT:
already there... way back on pg. 16. A pic of her and a pic of both of us.

Um, Nope. Not good enough. Need NEW submissions. The "Girls With Fieros" thread needs constant attention. (Is there anyone here that would disagree?!?!?) :-)

------------------

[This message has been edited by davikan (edited 11-13-2006).]

squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
Ooooh....minwax for clearcoat eh....

Favoriting this thread for future reference....

Lookin good!
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
OK i've got my hood done and my rear decklid and spoiler. [note] i have not yet wetsanded and buffed my clearcoat! so the pic's i post are not the final product! Just a teaser!

------------------

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

225 posts
Member since Dec 2005
I HAVE SPENT A TOTOAL OF $17 SOO FAR!!!!

------------------

nitrous nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitrous nutSend a Private Message to nitrous nutDirect Link to This Post
wow that looks great. iv got to do this iv got two blue 87 notch backs. now what color to paint it? do thay make a good looking yellow
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
whatever color you get make sure you get the GLOSS paint. the non-gloss is very dull and has very little reflection.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
nitrous nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitrous nutSend a Private Message to nitrous nutDirect Link to This Post
just got back from home depot and picked up gloss sunburst yellow to try out
scooz14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scooz14Send a Private Message to scooz14Direct Link to This Post
some one want to link me to the $50 roller paint thread. after my body mods, im going to have a two tone fiero, and i dont want to drop the $ on a professional paint job just yet (i see choptop in my future). that looks ****ing awesome for roll on.

mad props
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I like that fact that you are clear coating everything! How durable, or easy to repair will it be with a clear coat on it? I was thinking that without a clearcoat, it might be easier to fix the paint, like chips and dings. Am I wrong here?

Cool thread, keep it going! I am going to have to start doing this myself. I bought the parts, just not the color yet! I havn't decided on what color to do my car in!
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

02SOMFormula

120 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Another question here!

What process did you do before clearcoating? Did you wetsand, then paint? Or did you wetsand, polish to a bright finish, then start clearcoating?
moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by scooz14:

some one want to link me to the $50 roller paint thread. after my body mods, im going to have a two tone fiero, and i dont want to drop the $ on a professional paint job just yet (i see choptop in my future). that looks ****ing awesome for roll on.

mad props

Here ya go... http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

02SOMFormula, I'd imagine that all you'd have to do is section tape the area around the damage, then sand off the clear, fix, and reapply. I don't know much about paint though.

Either way, those results for less than $50, I'll give this a try...
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by moleman_in_a_FieroGT:

Here ya go... http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

02SOMFormula, I'd imagine that all you'd have to do is section tape the area around the damage, then sand off the clear, fix, and reapply. I don't know much about paint though.

Either way, those results for less than $50, I'll give this a try...

Thanks for the link! I actually posted that link onto another website I post on, LOL! That's some good info right der! Thanks! I just wanted all the info I can get before I give it a shot! You can never have too much information!

OldBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post
Here is the link to the second half of the Rustoleum paint thread.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Another 47 pages!!

Bob

[This message has been edited by OldBob (edited 11-19-2006).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That is coming out really nice, good work

I'm going to have to consider this for my Formula...

------------------
www.fierodomain.com
Your guide to the Online Fiero Community, always under construction

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
If they make this in metallic im game.

------------------
PROJECT 1986 GT Stormbringer

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02SOMFormula:

Another question here!

What process did you do before clearcoating? Did you wetsand, then paint? Or did you wetsand, polish to a bright finish, then start clearcoating?

I wet/scuffed the surface of the existing paint w/800 grit sandpaper. I applied 2 coats of paint, wetsanded w/800 grit. applied 2 more coats wetsanded with 800 grit, applied 2 more coats and sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper. I then applied the polyurathane clear gloss. and thats all i've done so far.

I am goning to do the entire car this way unil next spring/summer. Then I will sand the clear coat with 2000 grit on the entire car. use a good compound to get the scratches out, then buff and polish. SHOULD look cherry then!!!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
if you go to http://www.rustoleum.com they DO HAVE METALIC COLORS!!!!
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Okay, cool! I was worried that I had to buff out the paint to a glossy shine before adding the clear coat! But I guess you don't, your just trying to make the clear coat shiney!
02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post

02SOMFormula

120 posts
Member since Apr 2006
hey, Rust oleum has Clear!!!!! I wonder if that works like your minwax clear you are using!
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
OOOOOOOPs
after reading more on the mopar site it sounds like the guys there are not very happy with their results after all.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Interesting thread. If it comes in clear (I dont think it does) then you could add matalic to either the black or to clear and then last coat it with only clear with any matalics. I had my GT painted by a shop in black matalic. Looks like a black car and then when the light hits it right you notice the metalics. You method has me thinking about using it on our 87GT which is about out intake, headers and silver with black GT40 strips. The spray can stuff just dont hold up all that good in an engine. I wonder if the roll-on Rusto will fair any better in that hot and not paint friendly engine bay?
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

OOOOOOOPs
after reading more on the mopar site it sounds like the guys there are not very happy with their results after all.

Link?

Going through their site, there's no choice for "auto," but there is one for fiberglass. Cool, now I don;t have to replace my bathtub, just repaint it!

------------------
Great Fiero & PFF Apparel and Accessories...

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2006 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:
Link?

Going through their site, there's no choice for "auto," but there is one for fiberglass. Cool, now I don;t have to replace my bathtub, just repaint it!

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
Buzimp.. out of interest... and question of progress...
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
I was serious...
heeh
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
me too. I heard that it's easier if you shoot the paint instead of rolling it. The paint is lookin' good.
PFF
System Bot
ApexNC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of rolling it to avoid the overspray on the car and in my garage. Others have indicated that there is a lot of paint lost in spraying as well. My paint sat in the Tennessee sun in the same spot for over 7 years and had faded down to the primer and cracked badly, so anything will be an improvement. For the price, I decided I'd give this a try before MACCO. I picked up supplies at WalMart recently:
5x pack of 8.5 x 11 400 grit
5x pack of 8.5 x 11 800 grit
30 fl oz odorless mineral spirits
8 fl oz Sunrise Red Gloss Rust-OLEUM
2x pack of (yellow) foam rollers
I started with my tail, which I don't plan to re-install. It has some fire damage on the paint and seemed like a good test bed. I cleaned the tail with soap and water. I sanded the rougher areas with 400 grit and the remainder with the 800 grit. I wipred it down with water and dried it and wiped it down again with mineral spirits and again dried it. I used a 50 / 50 mineral spirit to paint ratio. The yellow foam roller left hundred of tiny bubbles as I applied it. At first I was concerned that the mixture was too thin. I had to keep going back to the edges, as the paint would flow down and drip from the tails edges. I must have used the roller 10 times to remove the excess from the edges. After a night of sitting, the surface has a nice shine to it and most all of the bubbles went away. This thin first coat is opaque, but did cover the burnt paint area nicely. I'll have to sand the runs from the edges, but it looks like it should work. Pictures soon.

[This message has been edited by ApexNC (edited 11-28-2006).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
is the roller a high density foam?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

is the roller a high density foam?

No it's not high density foam, It's like a type of cotton or something.
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
From page 1 of the mopar site's thread:
"get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam"
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I was reading the forum from the link that jeffndebrus posted. It looks to me people that prepped right or had a bit of experience had better luck painting. I didn't read it as people were unhappy, rather didn't do something right/expected TOO much from a roller. I wouldn't expect a perfect paint job my first time from a spray gun either.

Anyway, I think the paint is looking good. If it wasn't mentioned previously, there is a Fiero in the moparts forum too a guy is testing on>> about halfway down http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=7&vc=1
ApexNC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
I picked up the foam rollers from Walmart, that fit the 4", rounded on one end and straight cut on the other description, but I think I'll try Home Depot for the white "HD" material. I suspect that's whats tracking bubbles in my job. 95% of these tiny bubbles self level anyway, I'd like to see it without these to begin with. I think I'll also switch to a 2:1 paint to MS mix to prevent the run off drips.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
bump!

This has been a very interesting thread. I'm going to apply this to my daily driver as with winter coming it's still in it's primer stage and could use a quick fix. I went and purchased both gloss white and black and want to try each one just to see how it goes.
chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zDirect Link to This Post
The rollers you want are white ultra-fine foam.

[This message has been edited by chopfren-z (edited 11-29-2006).]

ApexNC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ApexNCClick Here to visit ApexNC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ApexNCDirect Link to This Post
Home Depot in Raleigh had "Ultra Fine" white foam rollers (4" and 6")
Lowes in Raleigh had Ultra High Density Foam rollers (4" and 6")
I bought a pack of each to see if there is a difference. Other than color, they "appear" to be the same as the yellow, less expensive foam rollers from Walmart. I'll post my results. Home Depot here didn't have Rust-Oleum that I could find. Lowes had the "Professional" version only. From what I read on the MOPAR site the STOP RUST version from WalMart is the same as the
Tremclad
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock