Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Chin Spoilers Can they be made stronger ? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chin Spoilers Can they be made stronger ? by exoticse
Started on: 12-21-2005 11:43 AM
Replies: 95
Last post by: exoticse on 10-24-2011 05:02 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I have always wanted one of these closed mouth chin spoilers and am planning to get one, but am worried about the horror stories of getting them nicked up all the time.

Is there a way to re-inforce them to make them stronger and less apt to break ? Is it really that difficult and expensive for them to be made in urethane ?

Can they be coated with something or made like that Rhino bed stuff ? I have no idea if that is practical or even possible just looking for a better solution than driving on pins and needles.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post
I can't answer your question but.......Who ownes that car that you have pictured above??

------------------

1985 2m4
Saskatoon, Sask Canada
Visit the Saskatoon Fiero Club Website at
http://www.freewebs.com/saskatoonfieros/
Come chat with us at our Forum
http://saskfiero.suddenlaunch.com/

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
after breaking the one on my last GT 3 times - i stopped using fiberglass and epoxy and switched to kevlar and evercoat flexible body putty.. it never broke again
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ToonTownfiero:

I can't answer your question but.......Who ownes that car that you have pictured above??

The car used to belong to slammed87GT but he sold it. It actually looks like that except for the photochop.

When finished my choptop will look like that except it will be torch red with different wheels and a few extra body mods.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8650 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Kohburn:

after breaking the one on my last GT 3 times - i stopped using fiberglass and epoxy and switched to kevlar and evercoat flexible body putty.. it never broke again

You coated them with that or you made an entirely different one using those materials ??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hmm.

1. Don't lower the Fiero,
2. Install 25.1 diameter tires upfront,
3. Pray? or

The second is of the bottom of the front flare.

------------------

Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, Redux & The Stealth

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Curley, that's awesome. You find the most creative ways to use old body parts.

There are two types of fiberglass chin spoilers,

1) those that are broken
2) those that are not broken yet.

I prefer the lawrence/skitime chin spoiler made from a recyled nose. It's not quite the same look, but it's not going to crack the first it hits something. Wost that will happen is the paint will crack and you repaint it. I folded mine over in half getting the car on the trailer and it bounced back.

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
it would be nice to have a chin spoiler made from carbon fiber.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

it would be nice to have a chin spoiler made from carbon fiber.

as yes - so then it could get banged around, get craze marks, spider cracks, and break

the only valid reason to use carbon fiber is for weight savings -

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

as yes - so then it could get banged around, get craze marks, spider cracks, and break

the only valid reason to use carbon fiber is for weight savings -

For the look doesn't count? For most people thats a valid reason. However he is right, that is a dumb spot for carbon fiber.. For anyone that has actually used the stuff knows that it has nothing protecting it but a couple layers of clear coat..... Not really the best for that spot..

------------------

Custom Fiero Fiberglass

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Going to steal this idea. I have the old front end sitting in my shead. Well not the head lights, they look to much like a bug

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 12-21-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
I checked into getting my chin spoiler rhino lined and was quoted $35. I don't know if it would provide any structural support but at least you wouldn't have to paint it everytime it caught a rock or was bumped by a parking curb I'll probably get this done on my car this spring so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by helmet1978:

I checked into getting my chin spoiler rhino lined and was quoted $35. I don't know if it would provide any structural support but at least you wouldn't have to paint it everytime it caught a rock or was bumped by a parking curb I'll probably get this done on my car this spring so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Rhino lining is just a thick gravel guard. Go to your nearest parts shop (Autozone) and get a gravel guard in a can, or if you have your own tank / air gun, then just get it in a tin and spray it through your primer gun. Its really not that hard to apply. However if your lip spoiler is plastic and not fiberglass it may crack just as easily because it doesn't flex like urethane does... but it is easy to touch up.. If you use the can. I will let you know now that it does look like crap! Either of the above choices... I am not a fan of textured paints..

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Going to steal this idea. I have the old front end sitting in my shead. Well not the head lights, they look to much like a bug

Hope you did not get confused ? WHat curly used was a chopped and modified closed mouth spoiler, what jscott used was from an old front end.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Hope you did not get confused ? WHat curly used was a chopped and modified closed mouth spoiler, what jscott used was from an old front end.

No I see what he did. Mine will look like his when I am done, well mostly

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

You coated them with that or you made an entirely different one using those materials ??

I ended up replacing most of the center section with it - the curved areas were still fiberglass

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I have my fiberglass spoiler molded in and HAVE NOT ever scraped bad enough to crack, gouge, or chip any from it!

You either "learn" not to be so aggressive with it, watch out for curbs, be aware of "Where the front end is" AND about how low it is to the ground.( me 5 3/4" ) or you dent, break, and tear it and other things up ! it is that simple!!

If you WANT to go "scrapin" then have a spoiler made of urathane. Like Jscott's only in the closed mouth design. at least you will just shave it down to nothing over time.

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Some very good input here. Big thanks.

Any other advice, experiences, or alternatives ???

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8650 posts
Member since Jun 2003

If i remember correctly i think slammed87GT (picture in first entry) said he reinforced his with metal ? Anybody else do this ?

3.8T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8TClick Here to visit 3.8T's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3.8TDirect Link to This Post
i am doing a front lip too this spring befor the car comes out.....same one as in the pics, buuuut im adding a nice little touch to it which will help with looks, aerodynamics and i suppose the scraping aspect too....

ill post pics when the car is completed in april/may.

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
You could always just get a closed mouth and then just shave the sucker down.... A friend of mine has one, when he first got it he chipped and cracked it, but luckily that was before the paint job. His car wasn't lowered either. I can see it breaking off if your car is lowered, but if its stock height, it shouldn't be too bad.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I have my fiberglass spoiler molded in and HAVE NOT ever scraped bad enough to crack, gouge, or chip any from it!

Revin - has your car been lowered?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

its pretty flat in texas isn't it?

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
no the car is not lowered yet ( I am thinking of a 1/2 cut on the springs) and I have coilovers on the back
Tx flat?!?!? some spots mainly road constrution
BUT it all comes down to how hard you are on your car!
Get really stiff shocks and poly and MAYBE you will have less of a chance to scrap! Getting on and off the trailer is a feat in itself!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 12-22-2005).]

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

no the car is not lowered yet ( I am thinking of a 1/2 cut on the springs) and coilovers on the back
Tx flat?!?!? some spots

Hmm... that could explain why you have not had the "interference" issues that others have experienced!

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

Food for thought.

http://lambolounge.com/Front/Bumper/Skid/skip-plate.asp

i've actually thought about this (still have all my old skateboards from the late 70's and 80's), but i wasn't sure if it wouldn't be worse. the wheels would have to be just a fraction lower than the spoiler or they'd just be in the way themselves.

also considered curb feelers (shut up, shut up), but i figure i have the strereo up so loud most times i wouldn't hear them anyway, and they wouldn't do much protectionwise either.

what i think i'm going to try is some material at work that's like (if you're familiar with skateboards) the old tail tap things you put on the back of your skateboard. something that would slide a little better over a rise in the road and replaceable with another piece once it wears down.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
this was at gettysburg in 04

it is rubber so it flexes

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Any other advice, experiences, or alternatives ???

Here's another alternative for those who have crashed the IRM front spoiler. My first one was reinforced using steel and everything known to man to protect it. Well, after the third time, the IRM pieces was laid to rest in my "I'll get back to you bin." Years later I thought about using "only" the sides.

As you can see in the pic, only the sides are used. Yes. Spoiler-flaring or garbage dumping 101. This is the best option if your car is lowered. You have to pretty lazy to tear-off the sides.

Edit: Oh yeah, the side too are bolted on and glassed over.

------------------

Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, Redux & The Stealth

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 12-22-2005).]

007DOUG

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007DOUGSend a Private Message to 007DOUGDirect Link to This Post
As the producer for the majority of chin spoilers out there, I'll offer my 2 cents worth.

In order to use urethane, a steel mold is needed. That's a minimum $20K. Materials used to make the bumper would probably only be $23. A whole lot of chin spoilers would need to be sold just to break even before any profit could be realized.

Fiberglass chin spoilers are common because they're easier to design and don't require a huge initial investment. The mold is cheaper to make ($2-3k for a mold the size of a chin spoiler).

We have made the chin spoilers with a Kevlar strip along the front edge. That adds to cost and doesn't stop chipping or cracking if hit hard. A dead-on hit would shatter the spoiler regardless. The urethane spoiler will be more forgiving if hit, but is prone to leaving a crease if hit hard enough.

Fiberglass chin spoiler can be repaired by any body shop, or any one person using materials that can easily be bought. The urethane spoiler, if damaged, would be easier/cheaper to replace than repair.

Being the owner of several fieros with chin spoilers, I'm more aware of where I can park, and what I can/can't drive over with a chin spoiler. It almost becomes another one of your senses. I haven't broke one yet.

In the end, the fiero market isn't large enough to support the production of a urethane chin spoiler.

------------------
4 Indys, 1 is A/C delete
84 Black/Silver T-top custom
85 GT speedster project
86 GT Yellow
88 GT White, T-top, 5 speed.

However......
"Time is the most precious and perishable of my possessions."

Buy IRM, again! at www.fierowarehouse.com

[This message has been edited by 007DOUG (edited 12-24-2005).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero with it ridiculously long overhang on the front needs something to even out that upward tilting nose. But it turns out the nose is tilted up for a reason, so that you can negotiate the car without scraping the nose everywhere you go.

Personally I love the way the closed mouth spoiler looks, but I don't think it would last a week if I had one.

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I asked Doug to add his valuable opinion and experience to this thread.

Thanks a lot Doug for the input !

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming guys.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007DOUG:

As the producer for the majority of chin spoilers out there, I'll offer my 2 cents worth.

In order to use urethane, a steel mold is needed. That's a minimum $20K. Materials used to make the bumper would probably only be $23. A whole lot of chin spoilers would need to be sold just to break even before any profit could be realized.

thats actually not entirely true - there are 2part urethane resins that can be layed up much the same as epoxy - and they come in a variety of hardness /flexibility) this is the same type of urethane used on the fieros poly bushings ..

the materials however are still not cheap so the spoiler would likely cost twice as much using the same mold and the same fiberglass.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The 90 Concept is actually your "best" option. Tweeking the Fiero Warehouse front spoiler in such away as to limit it's exposure. 2-3" is all that's needed IMO. That's why I would choose to tweeking or shaving it down somewhat. Otherwise, you're in the same ball park as Vipers, Lambos, and alike.

fph6666

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2005 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fph6666Click Here to visit fph6666's HomePageSend a Private Message to fph6666Direct Link to This Post
you can definitely reinforce these chin spoilers, but the best thing to do is learn how to drive!!! seriously, just remember that it's there and think ahead. Also, this is not rubber, it is the same spoiler as in the first pick, only we added 1 inch of rubber on to the bottom of it to take more air out from under the car.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
FieroMojo (Lansing, MI) came up with an interesting idea. Steve told me but i forget what he used to craft this one. Some type of plastic something he got from the hardware store.

Steve more details??

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-05-2006).]

Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
you can use the thicker garden lining plastic sort of stuff sold at home depot and what not.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Disillusion:

you can use the thicker garden lining plastic sort of stuff sold at home depot and what not.

For garden lining plastic (if thats whats on the yellow GT) it looks pretty damn good. How is it attached to the bumper though?

------------------

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
The only other idea I can think of is buying a plastic welder. Eastwood offers a plastic welder that is capable of welding different types of of modern plastic. They offer different plastic welding rods for different types of plastics including urethane. Then you just have to figure out how to section a GT bumper, insert the urethane pieces, weld (or meld), and you’ll have a true urethane lowered fascia.
Disclaimer: I’ve never used one, nor seen one repaired. This item is marketed toward folks who want to repair urethane fascias, plastic body parts, etc., to make extra money.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Any other ideas floating around out there ??

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock