Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Chin Spoilers Can they be made stronger ? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chin Spoilers Can they be made stronger ? by exoticse
Started on: 12-21-2005 11:43 AM
Replies: 95
Last post by: exoticse on 10-24-2011 05:02 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2009 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
bump
IP: Logged
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

bump

bump...??? OK... Anyone have anything new...??

------------------
SMTHGT.....
aka. "SmoothGT"

Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Didnt read through the three pages of posts, but I had an eclipse a while back that had a fiberglass body kit and lowering springs giving about 4" of ground clearance at the front bumper. Living in ND this only lasted a couple months before it was beat up in the front past my likings, but I only drug it in the front, not the sides or rear.

My solution was to take the front bumper off and repair any cracks that were in it and then I had the bottom and the lower 2" of the front and side of the bumper coated in Linex Truck Bed Liner. The car was similar in color to the dark red of the stock GTs in 87 and 88. This was back maybe 6 or 7 years ago when truck bedliner systems were pretty new and not cheap either, so I just did black and it blended in great and was SUPER durable!

Bed liners have come along way since then and they can now match colors, so thats what I would do. You can also get a "do it your self" roll on kit, but it is not as durable as the spray in systems because they incorporate a hardening agent and it gets MUCH harder than the roll on type.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like a good idea.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Avoid the heartache. Use the side flares only.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I have seen remote control tanks that can run through brick walls that were made from 25mm fiberglass. So your chin spoiler can be made stronger than your front bumper to answer your question.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I have my fiberglass spoiler molded in and HAVE NOT ever scraped bad enough to crack, gouge, or chip any from it!

You either "learn" not to be so aggressive with it, watch out for curbs, be aware of "Where the front end is" AND about how low it is to the ground.( me 5 3/4" ) or you dent, break, and tear it and other things up ! it is that simple!!

If you WANT to go "scrapin" then have a spoiler made of urathane. Like Jscott's only in the closed mouth design. at least you will just shave it down to nothing over time.

From the photo your car does not look like it has been lowered which ould explain your good luck

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003

FieroMojo (Lansing, MI) came up with an interesting idea. Steve told me but i forget what he used to craft this one. Some type of plastic something he got from the hardware store.

Steve more details??

I like this flexable idea though I'm wondering how well base coat /clear coat paint will take to the rubber whereas I'd want to paint it to match the car. Also, I think I could mold it in using Everflex filler.

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I didn't read the whole thread but here's my view on this. If you make the lip spoiler bullet proof it's just going to transfer that energy somewhere else like maybe your fresh painted bumper or fenders resulting in spider cracks.

My solution would be is go make a lip spoiler that you can remove at any moment. Like when you trailer to a car show or when you have to take it to a mechanic.

What about those fasteners that they use on race cars exterior panels. They use a tool to install and remove them from the chassis.

Even when I bought my car it scraped when the guy hauled it on his flat bed trailer and it doesn't even have a lip spoiler. I think a quick removal lip spoiler is the key. Something you can install at a car show or meet.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 07-19-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

I have a roll of this stuff ^^^ in my shed. Its an edging material you can find at almost any hardware store in the landscaping section. Its cheap, decently flexable and made of plastic. Looks like its riveted on in this pic which I'm sure works great. Plastic rivets may be a good option since they will break away when hit. They are also cheap and easy to replace. At least thats what it look like to me.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_944...l_Plastic_4294857252

I've thought about this stuff a few times....
http://www.lowes.com/pd_141...87?productId=3104775
Its just a base molding available in molded rubber, vinyl, or rubber/vinyl mix. Comes in a 4"x50', 1/8" thick roll for around 30 dollars. It is exremely flexable, paintable, durable, and comes in a variety of colors. Attach it with plastic rivets which will break in a big hit. If it gets damaged its easy to replace and you'll have tons left on the roll.

Unfortunately its the only real option I have for a chin. My driveway already comes extremely close to the GT bumper. I scrape the airdam if I pull in or out too fast. Since its sloped on both sides it doesn't matter if I back in or pull in straight. If the bumper were any lower and it would scrape. This molding would fold to less then a 1/2" lower then stock and protect the bumper more when it does.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-19-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
Never did like chin spoilers...

------------------

For Fiero Articles, Magazines, and Prototype Photos, visit: http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:

Never did like chin spoilers...

I made my front appear lower without one.
kreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kreamerSend a Private Message to kreamerDirect Link to This Post
Looking at this, I wonder if it would be possible to use a Gen1 S10 pickup front spoiler...front of my truck is dropped 3", so it sits fairly low...when it hits something it bounces right back albeit a little more scratched than before. I think I will head to the junkyard and try to pick one up for $5 and see if I can make it work!
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007DOUG:
Being the owner of several fieros with chin spoilers, I'm more aware of where I can park, and what I can/can't drive over with a chin spoiler. It almost becomes another one of your senses. I haven't broke one yet.

This is the by far the most logical answer; We want stiffer suspension: there goes the soft ride and comfort. We want a custom Paint job: there goes the convenient parking spot up front between to piece of junk cars. We want a nice low profiled front end, there goes the careless driving like your in a commuter car. I have a totally custom front end that is near 4" from the ground, and have driven it 7 years without one incident, this comes down to, always being careful, and looking at the road
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Anybody got a used or busted up one they are willing or wanting to part with ??

Time for some tweeking !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock