Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I'd heard 600 lbs for the steel frames and a 300# savings for the aluminum frames
IP: Logged
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I'd heard 600 lbs for the steel frames and a 300# savings for the aluminum frames

Will, where do you get those figures from? It would be interesting to take a fully stripped frame and weigh it, just to see ..Regardless, 300lbs weight savings would be great

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-09-2005).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Guss: A little off subject but did you make your hood and does the spare tire fit? Your frame looks excellent

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I made the hood. The spare won't fit in the stock location. It could fit if it was angled the other way.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've read things here and there... I really couldn't give a concrete source for those weights...
shop_rat45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post
Very nice build!!! What are you using to bend your tubes? If it was posted earlier in the thread, I apologize.

+ for you!!

Thanks,
Kris

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The bender isn't anything fancy, just a beefed up copy of an All-Star bender. Cost about $300 to build. I can whip up some drawings and a component list if anyone wants to build one. I've had better but this one is portable and stores easily.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I think I read the same thing in a book on the history of the Fiero. A PFF member loaned the book to me, so I don't have it to recheck the numbers. I think the Fiero Store sells the book though.

There are a lot of double and triple wall sections that make the space frame strong and heavy. It's amazing how much weight you can build up with plain old sheet metal.

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

I think I read the same thing in a book on the history of the Fiero. A PFF member loaned the book to me, so I don't have it to recheck the numbers. I think the Fiero Store sells the book though.

There are a lot of double and triple wall sections that make the space frame strong and heavy. It's amazing how much weight you can build up with plain old sheet metal.

Yeah the stock frame is quite deceptive in appearance..it doesnt look as heavy as it is ..Gusshotrod, do you have any idea what your frame weighs?
Bobert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobertSend a Private Message to BobertDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

About the welding: It depends on what material you want to use. I used Mig on everything. Some of the radius rods need pre-heat and slow cool because of the Moly ends. If TIG was used you could bypass this step. You could substitute moly tube for most of the car if you wanted which would then have to be TIG welded. The sheet metal could be TIG or MIG, whatever you are comfortable with.

The front suspension is finished. I didn't like the rear upper a-arms so I am redoing them, then I will get it outside and get some good pics (maybe tomorrow).

Nice work ! Thanks for sharing all the information + for you.

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Remounted the pedals and steering components.

Also decided to switch to C5 spindles on the rear also. I am changing the rear clip around to make this happen. At least I didn't have to cut it ALL off. Should have this done tommorow.
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
How about that... I have the same pedals! (I love them!) Not to critique but, are you going to reinforce the steering shaft mount? One square tube may not be enough.

Tough to see in this picture. Just trying to help make your car better. Even mine is a bit flimsy for my taste.

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2005 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it needs a brace or two, just haven't figured out something that looks good. I don't want to run a dash so this area will be visible.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

The bender isn't anything fancy, just a beefed up copy of an All-Star bender. Cost about $300 to build. I can whip up some drawings and a component list if anyone wants to build one. I've had better but this one is portable and stores easily.

I wouldn't mind seeing them, if you don't mind.

TIA...
Bob

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Major problems. I installed the trans in the car to figure out the shift linkage and discovered that the trans won't go into any gear. The shift rod will move forward and backward fine but will not go side to side. It will not go into any gear. I paid $2000 for this thing. A rebuild will run $3500. I am so screwed.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Major problems. I installed the trans in the car to figure out the shift linkage and discovered that the trans won't go into any gear. The shift rod will move forward and backward fine but will not go side to side. It will not go into any gear. I paid $2000 for this thing. A rebuild will run $3500. I am so screwed.

first of all why is the trans in upside down stater goes on top

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003
the shaft must go all the way in then back out you will feel 3 detents fine the center detent then you will move right and left the neutral point is not easy to find on the first few times
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The G50 has to be run inverted as you can't flip the ring gear. From the Ultima forums: This trans was originally designed and used by Porsche to run like this. It was originally used for racing. When it was later used in production cars it was flipped over. The torque rating for the tranny is actually higher when run installed as shown.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

The G50 has to be run inverted as you can't flip the ring gear. From the Ultima forums: This trans was originally designed and used by Porsche to run like this. It was originally used for racing. When it was later used in production cars it was flipped over. The torque rating for the tranny is actually higher when run installed as shown.

no porsche trans is run upside down the G50 has to be machined to flip the diff they chage 1500 to 2000 to convert them and all the 85 up 911 turbo porsches use the G50 as it is the replacement for the 915 transaxle

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Bubba, the Ultimas are designed and use the trans mounted as shown. I got the three detents, tried what you said, got nothing.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
WIth the trans in neutral, I can rotate the shaft clock wise and pull straght back and get a gear. Nothing else.
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Bubba, the Ultimas are designed and use the trans mounted as shown. I got the three detents, tried what you said, got nothing.

the recomened trans axle use in the ultima is audi 5000 6 spd I have the articals on the car from kitcar magazine and went to the site and it also states 5000 audi transaxle

to flip the diff in the G50 the case is cut in the flywheel area and a hump weled in to clear the diff when fliped and if you look at the Porsche boxter it uses the G50 6spd and it is not upside down
when you turn the trans upside down you will starve the gears in the trans section for oil as it the fill
level will not be high enought for the gears to sit in the oil and oil will not reach the bearings properly check out runigade hybreads for the info on flipping the diff

this is the proper orentation of the transaxle

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

WIth the trans in neutral, I can rotate the shaft clock wise and pull straght back and get a gear. Nothing else.

remove the rear cover where the shaft goes in then check the 3 forks and se if one is not in the neutral position this happens all to often when the trans is droped on the selector shaft
re set the neutral position on all three shafts reinstall the cover then check the shifts

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Bubba, but you are wrong. Standard trans for Ultima is inverted G50.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Sorry Bubba, but you are wrong. Standard trans for Ultima is inverted G50.

you are arguing with the wrong guy here is a pic of the ultima with the G50 and look close where the ribbs are on the transaxle

it is a reversed diff and in the proper orentation

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I'll pull the cover.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
did you notice the pic of the ultima with the G50 with the inverted diff
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
What am I looking for here:

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
For what it is worth, I run the 930 gear box upside down. I have discussed a sprayer for the ring gear and such, but I am told by Renigade Hybrids (NV) that the box still gets about 90% of the lubrication in this position. Since I am running less than 30 minutes at a time, I have just mounted a temp sensor in the tranny and will keep an eye on it.

Paul

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

What am I looking for here:

from this i can see that the trans is a 5 spd and one of the shafts has a broken fork in the second pic I can see where the shaft is suposed to be and it is not there all I see is the detent ball these trans are easy to work on if you take your time opening the case

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-14-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
www.ultimacars: this is a quote under pricing for standard kit: "complete transaxle kit to suit Porsche G50 including transaxle invert kit".
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

www.ultimacars: this is a quote under pricing for standard kit: "complete transaxle kit to suit Porsche G50 including transaxle invert kit".

if you want the TRANSAXLE TO LIVE FLIP THE DIFF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE ONE OF THESE DETONATE i HAVE and it is very dangerous these transaxles are not ment to run upside down they share the oil with the diff and gearbox draw a line from the center of the gear box and see where the oil level will be in the diff case and you will see the oil will be in line with the clutchshaft

For racing, the G-50 has experienced some difficulties with ring & pinion failures. Rennsport Systems recommends installing a transmission cooler and pump when power levels reach the 350 HP level and above. Pressurized lubrication to the ring & pinion as well as the gearsets is also worthwhile under these stresses.

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-14-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a bunch for the help Bubba.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

Sure looks like that Ultima is running an inverted box to me.

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:
if you want the TRANSAXLE TO LIVE FLIP THE DIFF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE ONE OF THESE DETONATE i HAVE and it is very dangerous these transaxles are not ment to run upside down they share the oil with the diff and gearbox draw a line from the center of the gear box and see where the oil level will be in the diff case and you will see the oil will be in line with the clutchshaft

For racing, the G-50 has experienced some difficulties with ring & pinion failures. Rennsport Systems recommends installing a transmission cooler and pump when power levels reach the 350 HP level and above. Pressurized lubrication to the ring & pinion as well as the gearsets is also worthwhile under these stresses.

When pressure lubing gear mesh, be sure to use a misting nozzle, as a stream or spray into the gear mesh will froth your oil.

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
http://www.motormeister.com/suz/trans/clutch_trans.htm
check out this link for transaxle parts
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:
For what it is worth, I run the 930 gear box upside down. I have discussed a sprayer for the ring gear and such, but I am told by Renigade Hybrids (NV) that the box still gets about 90% of the lubrication in this position. Since I am running less than 30 minutes at a time, I have just mounted a temp sensor in the tranny and will keep an eye on it.

Paul

VanDerLey? Niiice... What work did he do for you?
Wcapman's new Northstar was balanced by Vanderley. I'm going to see if I can get a local shop to do the same balance/weight relief on my crank.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
you gotta love that ultima! i have the whole centerfold of the pic you posted from "kit car" stuck to the side of my computer cabinet!
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
correct me if i"m wrong but it looks like the gears are not meshing correctly in the last pic.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
There is an idler gear in the cover that meshs with those gears.
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

That would be me I will see if I can dig that book up tonight and get the numbers you are talking about in a day or two.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock