Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that's the front of my imsa?

IP: Logged
normsf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks pretty close thanks Norm www.normsfiberglass.com

------------------
Norm Vandermee

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I forgot you mentioned having a "normal" Fiero too

I thought maybe it was the front clip for this car. I couldn't tell whether that was tires or deeply flared wheel openings on the sides.

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The front suspension so far. Should have this wrapped up tomorrow.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
WOW!!!!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Amazing... You make it look WAAAAYYYY too easy. If I keep following this thread, you're going to make me think I should try something and it's probably not going to look pretty when I'm done...Can't wait to see it thru.

Bob

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this is impressive. Reminds me of the days of building IMCA and NCRA chassis.

There's a guy in Austin Texas that purchased some parts from me that built a tube chassis with C5 running gear. Here is the link to his site.. http://www.lambobuilder.com/edb/Chassis/Index.htm

Loyde

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

The front suspension so far. Should have this wrapped up tomorrow.

did you add crush sleves where bolts go though the tubing and why did you use square tube not DOM for the lower control arm as DOM is alot stronger and is avalable in 1 inch OD with 7/16 ID
your work is progressing great and it is a very nice job and desine

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
once the first one is done you can take measurements of all the lengths of tubing and sell the plans
MyNameIsJimbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyNameIsJimboSend a Private Message to MyNameIsJimboDirect Link to This Post
See.... here I am trying to find a bummed Fiero to buy and fix up. And here YOU are building one by hand... this sucks... welp, time to do what i should have done a long time ago... hang myself... thanks guy. Lates

------------------
~ My name is Jimbo, and I need a Fiero.. please help me :(

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, crush sleeves on all bolts through tubing. I used square tube on some of the lower a-arm pieces because of the bending loads from the shock and sway bar. Square tube is stonger in bending.

All the A-arms are done and I mounted the sway bar.

There is five degrees of caster built in. I think you can see the anti-dive built into the upper a-arm brackets.

RIght now I'm trying to decide if I want to run the coil-overs inboard or outboard. I have it designed both ways. I'll drag this thing outside this week end and get some overall pics.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 03-01-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
I've got measurements on everything. Sample of part of dwg:
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

You did leave enough room for an axle to go through, right?

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You did leave enough room for an axle to go through, right?

DOHH!! (Doing my best Homer Simpson )

Actually, I think this is the front end and I don't think's it AWD.

Roy

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

I've got measurements on everything. Sample of part of dwg:

since you have the rear chassie stretched why not go with side mounted rads in series as I did no need for long cooling tubes and mount a front fuel tank

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Yeah, crush sleeves on all bolts through tubing. I used square tube on some of the lower a-arm pieces because of the bending loads from the shock and sway bar. Square tube is stonger in bending.

There is five degrees of caster built in. I think you can see the anti-dive built into the upper a-arm brackets.

RIght now I'm trying to decide if I want to run the coil-overs inboard or outboard. I have it designed both ways. I'll drag this thing outside this week end and get some overall pics.

inboard would be the best if you dont mind building the bellcranks and going F1 style with the right coilover for the left wheel and the left coilover for the right wheel it would keep a lot of weight of the lower control arm

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 03-02-2005).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Do pullrod actuated shocks, too... not pushrod
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I've decided to mount the coil overs outboard. The difference in unsprung weight is minimal. Inboard would look trick but I don't think it's going to make enough difference in handling to notice. The radiator is going up front because of the 406 engine, which can be a bear to cool. I also don't want to worry about a tire shreading at speed taking out a radiator.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
i was just looking through a magazine article about the new zo6. it is supposed to have a completely aluminum frame!
aluminum . . . you say we might be lucky enough to get a copy of those plans?!
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Fasinating build.

Just out of curiosity, for those of us who might try a similar project (once your plans are realeased ;> ) are you mig welding everything, or have some of the welds required tig?

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
Phantom-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom-FieroSend a Private Message to Phantom-FieroDirect Link to This Post

I'm guessing that's the front of my imsa?

Norm, are you still thinking about doing this? Remember me if you do.

John

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
About the welding: It depends on what material you want to use. I used Mig on everything. Some of the radius rods need pre-heat and slow cool because of the Moly ends. If TIG was used you could bypass this step. You could substitute moly tube for most of the car if you wanted which would then have to be TIG welded. The sheet metal could be TIG or MIG, whatever you are comfortable with.

The front suspension is finished. I didn't like the rear upper a-arms so I am redoing them, then I will get it outside and get some good pics (maybe tomorrow).

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
I bought a power steering tank off EBAY and it came with this weld at no extra cost:

Sleeves welded into rear a-arm brackets:

Finished front suspension:

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
wow. amazing. stunned. I don't know what else to say.

------------------
Paul

Home Built Tube Chassis IMSA Race Car - 3.8 lb./hp | 1987 Fiero GT 119,xxx, 3.1 motor, HHP swaybar, Full poly
For more IMSA Fiero info: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/789315

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
WOW... that is simply amazing!!!
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Just one more:

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Purdy! What do you think she weighs?

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

jsmorter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorter1Send a Private Message to jsmorter1Direct Link to This Post
Have you thought about welding up some upper and lower control arms for sale to help you finance this beast?
It looks great

------------------
Its perverts like you that give
perverts like me a bad name
virgin 88 4 Cyl

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what it weighs, but I can lift it. As for making parts for sale, right now what I need is more time. Lots of sheet metal work coming up, also headers. Still got a few things to finish on the frame also. At least I got the garage cleaned up (a little).
PFF
System Bot
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post

I can lift it.

wow, can you guys picture me lifting a stock frame!? would it weigh maybe 500 pounds?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
very nice
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ricreatr:

wow, can you guys picture me lifting a stock frame!? would it weigh maybe 500 pounds?[/QUOTE

Just the space frame with everything removed I bet you could lift it.

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Dude..... If we ever get to a track day together I got an idea ..... I'll take you for a ride if you take me for a ride!

What a work of art! (Right click ..... save ........right click.....save.......)

Paul

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Deal! Right now I've got to go out in the garage and make engine noises.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok ill give you all i got......like $7 and some odd change... deal? c,mon you dont need that cluttering up your driveway! i go plenty of room to keep it and ill even put it to good use with my SBC!!! I SWEAR!!!!

------------------

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2005 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
I see in one of your last sets of pics you have the frame in front of a Fiero, any chance we could see it along side of the Fiero for comparison?

Nice work by the way.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ricreatr:

wow, can you guys picture me lifting a stock frame!? would it weigh maybe 500 pounds?[/QUOTE

Just the space frame with everything removed I bet you could lift it.

Im a bodybuilder/weightlifter/powerlifter and I cant lift a stock space frame up by myself, just one end or the other. Of course it is too bulky to get to the center of gravity in order to try to lift it completly off the ground. Regardless, it must weigh at least 800lbs. Gusshotrod, that frame is a work of art

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-09-2005).]

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

it must weigh at least 800lbs. Gusshotrod, that frame is a work of art

YEOUCH! i wonder how much weight was saved in those alcan aluminum frames that were stamped from the fiero molds? sure like to have one.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock