Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 12)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
VSarge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VSargeSend a Private Message to VSargeDirect Link to This Post
I can offer some space on a web site as well if needed.

Sarge
IP: Logged
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I've got the drawings. I'll try to post tonite (maybe tomorrow due to Halloween).

Bob

Let me know if it does not work:
http://home.wowway.com/~lmrabine/Fiero%20Frame%20Docs.zip

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 10-31-2006).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I've got the drawings. I'll try to post tonite (maybe tomorrow due to Halloween).

Bob

Let me know if it does not work:
http://home.wowway.com/~lmrabine/Fiero%20Frame%20Docs.zip

Works great!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
way cool..

Dont happen to have the original cad files too by chance?
WoR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WoRSend a Private Message to WoRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

way cool..

Dont happen to have the original cad files too by chance?

Exactly what i was wondering
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep out of the archive.

Also original CADs sent to RCR for posting on his sight as well. What you see in the pdfs are what you get in the Inventor (3d AutoCAD) files.

No progress as I have not had time to complete my existing one. Too cold here to fiberglass now as well without stinking up the house from my attached garage.

I have landed on the Ferrari 288 GTO replica for a body shape and have a set of Ferrari 328 kit molds that fit on a Fiero to start the project from. I'll make a fairly thin set of panels (3 layers of 1.5 oz glass) that will hold their shape but not waste a lot of material. Mounting will be not too bad but I will be the panels to make the flared fenders and stretched rear section to look like the original and fit the wheel base. Take a set of molds from the newly crafted panels and I into a Ferrari 288 GTO replica.

I also have an extended windscreen that fits a modified Fiero windshield frame that gives a more authentic look to it as well. Sends the bottom middle section of the screen out about 6-7" for more curvature. I have seen a few on the 355 kits others are building on another site and it is very nice. I think the extended windscreen would really change the look of the stock Fieros as well. Rob (Amida) has some of his Fiero concept drawings with the extended screen.

I have also landed on a 3800 Series I V6 with a set of twin triple downdraft webbers I purchased off a friend to build the engine around. I should get about 300+ horse from the engine with a mildly warmed over cam, ported intake and exhaust and a set of Champion aluminum heads. Maybe just a set of ported Series I heads. Still thinking that one through. That and a balanced rotating set and I will be able to have a streetable V6 to mate to the G50 trans I bought off Doug through a Kennedy Engineering adaptor and clutch plate.

I have lots of plans, thoughts and drawings but no time to put anything together these days.

Cheers
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to get those files up.

I have also landed on a 3800 Series I V6 with a set of twin triple downdraft webbers I purchased off a friend to build the engine around.

Sounds like someone picked up Funnywheels intake. Sounds like a killer setup.

Bob
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

I did, indeed, pick up Funnywheels' intake setup. He says I can get upward of 500 hp from the series I engine with a cam and these intakes with Champion racing heads. I have no idea if I can or not but a cool 300+ will be just fine for me.

Thanks for putting the files up on your web site.

Cheers
Don

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 01-04-2007).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
mnmlkfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mnmlkfieroSend a Private Message to mnmlkfieroDirect Link to This Post
works great.... now i have to make some $$$ and get to work
BH2OFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BH2OFieroClick Here to visit BH2OFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to BH2OFieroDirect Link to This Post
Bump...gotta keep this one going. It's nice to see this great piece of work going to a fellow Canadian. Do we have an official weight on this frame yet and a confirmed weight on the factory fiero frame?

-Caleb

------------------
No matter how much I try to get these cars out of my head, they keep finding their way back in.

PFF
System Bot
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Hi,
Do you think you could post the cad files in .dxf or .iges. My Mastercam won't open the .ipt files. Thank you, Or you could email them to me in one of the above formats.....

Thanks
Dragon1/Brian
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post

Dragon1

888 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Never mind, I found the mastercam download for the .ipt files
Thanks anyway,
Dragon1/Brian
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

And somehow a fake fiberglass lambo body is somehow better than a customized Fiero-based body? Really... anyone can go out and buy a tube-frame Diablo (if they have deep enough pockets) - but this will be the best one-of-a-kind ever!

Agreed. I like this build.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car. Make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
cwatson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cwatsonSend a Private Message to cwatsonDirect Link to This Post
bump, those drawings are amazing. sounds like a better idea than chopping up a stock chassis to lighten up and change the suspension.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2007 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Bump.

I saw this car when I bought the IMSA from Doug (his real name). Hopefully this thing sees the road one day.

Not sure if he comes around anymore. Last I heard he was playing with Corvettes.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2007 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to keep it alive.

I have not been able to complete my current build these past many months due to other family and work committments. I am hard at my current build that should be ready for paint prep shortly so I can get this one pulled out of the back of my friend's garage and start back to work on it.

I hope to have some progress starting late this Summer or Fall if all goes well

Thanks
Don
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2007 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
bump for a great project
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2007 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
No big news. Got the 328 Ferrari panels in the molds last week and have to pull them out to start cutting and refitting everything to the longer and lower frame.

My current project is pretty much ready for paint after this weekend of final fiberglassing before it gets too cold.

I have landed on a 3400 DOHC/TDC with 6 down draft webers I picked up mated to the Porsche G50 trans so I may be able to shorten the wheelbase by 2" to get the more authentic wheelbase of the Ferrari 288 GTO.

Slowly collecting parts and thoughts to get at it this winter. A year late.

Thanks
Don
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
i woul dlike to see pictures of that powerplant. I've been trying to think up a carb manifold for the tdc.
PFF
System Bot
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well;

I may have landed on the powerplant of choice but I have not been able to find the manifold to mate it to the engine. I have a setup today that puts the 2 - 3 barrel webers on to a 3800 Series I engine but I wanted the DOHC. I called around to a few manifold makers and I have come up empty on all of them. Inglese has the setup for the Series I and II engines as I have the Inglese mainfold for the Series I but I have found nothing that matches up the 3400 DOHC/TDC.

If anyone has seen anything, please post as I am coming up empty.

Now, I can always go with the Series I engine as originally planned but I was really hoping for the DOHC. I am at the point if I went for the 3800 I would go for the series II with S/C rather than the Series I and having said that, why not go with the small block Chev that the frame is already designed around.....

Dilemma, dilemma. This is the problem with having time to think through things rather than just doing them. ;o) I am finishing up my current project when I do get out to the garage so I have time to think about the next project while working on the current one.

Cheers
Don
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap.....I have not seen this build yet. Great metal work
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
wow this is awesome... your making me want to do this.....
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Very interesting topic. The long wheelbase (LWB) gives the Fiero a sportier stance. I have be thinking of also doing a LWB Fiero but on a much smaller scale. Basically by shifting the cradle back 3 inches, replace windshield with a curved piece, and changing a few body lines. The rough sketch is just some ideas that I had to put on paper.

I think the MINI Cooper approach would work great. I just love it (looks, and handling wise) when the 4 wheels are pushed into the corners and the body pretty much ends at the wheels..

-M
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
355Fiero: I take it you got Guss's Frame and what ever else went with it. And from what I've read your looking for an engine or an idea. No engine here but got a couple of ideas. The ultimament would be a AL 3.8 stroked to a 4.1 and twin turbos, mounted horizontily. My second and I think you mentioned it, a 3.6L DOHC with a single turbo. The weber down drafts would look really good but from what I've been told, they don't idle good, hard to tune and makes the power band narrow. Well just an idea. Another one, a 4.3 no substitute for cubes

Well good luck
Wish I had it ( tube chassis )

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
ttt

------------------
S.W.A.T.

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
HOLY CRAP! I just found this forum and that is all I really have to say, that is after I picked my jaw up from on the floor.

Cant wait to see her run.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:
The brakes are C5 ZO6, 13 x 1 1/4 inch directional vane front and rear. I am using the front rotors and calipers all the way around. I don't anticipate any braking problems.

I have some fiberglass door skins coming, when they get here I can get going on the body.

Hehehe. You won't.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Update or no real update.

The frame has been in a buddy's garage stored for over a year now. I have not had any time to finish my current project with my job and other life requirements.

I did get my fiberglass panels made up by a local glass guy and they are sitting in my back shed waiting for warm weather to play with those and make into a Ferrari 288 GTO from the Ferrari 328 replica panals they are today.

I was out in the garage today with my current build and have pretty much given up on being able to finish up the fiberglass until spring. Once it gets cold here, I can't crack the garage door to let the smell out and then it fills the house with fiberglass smells. Doesn't work well with the rest of the family.

Aside from a bit of metalwork cleanup and adjusting the custom suspenion I designed, my current project is only in need of a bunch of sanding and putty to be in primer. That won't happen till next spring though. I am going to see about draining the coolant lines of the water I have in them now and I am thinking about pushing the 355 out in the driveway and covering with a car cover to give me room to get the frame in the garage and get it started up over the winter.

If I do this, I'll keep the forum updated of my progress.

Cheers
Don
PFF
System Bot
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

....If I do this, I'll keep the forum updated of my progress.

Good!

Is there anything new with this?
Crazy Fiero Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy Fiero KidClick Here to visit Crazy Fiero Kid's HomePageSend a Private Message to Crazy Fiero KidDirect Link to This Post
Do you have that on autocad?
Crazy Fiero Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Crazy Fiero KidClick Here to visit Crazy Fiero Kid's HomePageSend a Private Message to Crazy Fiero KidDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody have copies on CAD? Please?
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Still working on my current project....... slowly. This Spring is the time I am shooting for to start the build. Almost 2 years after buying the frame. That is such a sad statement to be making.

The only version of what was given to me by Doug (GusHotRod) is a couple pages back on a web site for download. They are AutCAD Inventor drawings of the beginning of the frame. The drawing has up to the front and rear suspension mounting frames only. Doug did not get time to update the rest of the drawings and I have not gone into them. I downloaded Beta version of Inventor the other day to start working through some of the next set of drawings when I get spare time but it blew up on my computer so it does not seem to want to work for me. I have looked at other CAD products to see if I can import the files into but nothing to date for getting me going.

On hold, not forgotten. I am building up a parts stash for when I get going. I have the body panels in my back shed, a possible motor coming next week, 3.4 DOHC and I may build a custom set of dual intake runners with dual throttle bodies but also have a spare upper intake, which I am working to buy from another member here now, in case the project does not work out...

I am hard at work finishing the interior off on my current project but I am building the interior from scratch so it is taking time to get it right.

Don
thelast_graham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thelast_grahamSend a Private Message to thelast_grahamDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone... I am new to Pennock... Is it possible to build a tube chassis starting from the Fiero powerplant cradle? also.. I am interested in a V8 kit from V8 Archie.. 86'-93' 350 TPI.. longitudinal 930 Porsche tranny or horizontal Getrag tranny? which is better you think? I dont know much about either one.. all I know is the Getrag comes with the 86-88 Fiero..

------------------
www.myspace.com/thelastgraham

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have had several personal and business items come up that drives me away from the garage rather than into it as I had hoped so I don't think I am going to have the time to finish this work of art as I had orginally wanted to do.

I have posted a thread in the Mall for anyone with more time than I have that might be wanting to finish this off.

Disappointed at the very least but I hope someone wants to finish this off.

Cheers
Don

Link to my for sale in the Mall:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040748.html
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Forgot about this thread for a long time (as apparently has everyone else). What is the latest on this project?
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4-mulaGT:

Hey....

THis build looks incredible!!!

But honestly I think there should be only one kind of engine to go into this thing.....

Only one motor could do it justice....

Can anyone say...

L

S

no seriously though any LS series motor would do it justice

Save the ten thousand dollars and use it for a down payment... on THIS
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

I have had several personal and business items come up that drives me away from the garage rather than into it as I had hoped so I don't think I am going to have the time to finish this work of art as I had orginally wanted to do.

I have posted a thread in the Mall for anyone with more time than I have that might be wanting to finish this off.

Disappointed at the very least but I hope someone wants to finish this off.

Cheers
Don

Link to my for sale in the Mall:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040748.html

Originally posted by opm2000:

pm sent

David Breeze

Did David buy the project?
PM sent to 355Fiero to see if sold and if so, is new owner on PFF...

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m8 (edited 11-19-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock