Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 11)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
Fiero SS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero SSSend a Private Message to Fiero SSDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on your work of art

Joe

IP: Logged
Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Direct Link to This Post
just a big old BUMP for this, don't want to chance it going to archives

------------------

gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I have next week off and the weather is getting warmer. I plan to actually resume working on the car. Been gathering funds for the tranny rebuild (thank you sir may I have another). Thanks to Russ for the door hinges. You da man.
d962r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for d962rSend a Private Message to d962rDirect Link to This Post
boy.. yesterday turned out nice even when they said rain....
Glad to see your getting back at it....
would like to talk with you (localy) about front break setups using fiero or other parts.
anubiscougar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anubiscougarSend a Private Message to anubiscougarDirect Link to This Post
bumpide bump bump. so.... how bout that tube frame chassis?....
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2006 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post
great job. made any more progress?
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Geez Gus, you got yourself a 10-second car here for sure. Fantastic build—thanks for providing such detailed information and pictures.

Do you have a deadline in mind for having this running and body completely installed?

How did you get started in this kind of thing (engineering background, etc.)?

Will you be putting a wheelie bar (or whatever they're called) in back?

I think someone already asked this, but I didn't note it being answered; what major handling improvements do you anticipate this car exhibiting over the stock Fiero setup? Did you design it to overcome specific Fiero suspension issues or did you basically just design your ideal suspension from scratch, or one based off another car?

Can someone please make the man his requested Photoshop (front fenders with a 3" bubble to clear wheels)? I'd like to see it, too.

Thanks again—you're a hell of an asset to the Fiero community.

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2006 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Heater installed from Vintage Air. I had to fab a new defroster plenum and flip the core:

I've been thinking on using their Gen II mini system. Is yours a good unit?

mnmlkfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnmlkfieroSend a Private Message to mnmlkfieroDirect Link to This Post
I just spent 3 hours reading this. This is my new favorite threat, and you sir, are my hero..
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Bump…

PM sent.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
I know I was the last person to bump it, but damn, this is a cool thread.
PFF
System Bot
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mnmlkfiero:

I just spent 3 hours reading this. This is my new favorite threat, and you sir, are my hero..

that sums it up about the best. bump
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Moving back to the midwest and I can't take this with me. Project is for sale, all or part. See post in Mall section. I hate to do this but things have gone south for me here and it's time to move along.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Thats too bad Guss, I hope things work out for you.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Thats too bad Guss, I hope things work out for you.

Ditto.

We all know stuff happens in life, best of luck to you.
Notchie Luvin David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchie Luvin DavidSend a Private Message to Notchie Luvin DavidDirect Link to This Post
This has been an amazing journey Gus, it's sad that you're not going to be able to complete it for us. Hopefully whoever takes over will try to match the quality of work you've been doing. I'm not sure how serious these guys were, but they may be interested.

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
btw- how much to get one for me? (semi-serious question)

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:
Hurry and get it done! Can I buy this one too?

That thing's a work of art; it would be so tempting to even display it in your living room

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I'm still trying to finish the first one I bought from him.

And I don't even have a 10th of the skill that would be needed to finish this one.

Drag it with you and finish it one day! Hopefully everything works out for you reguardless.

------------------

billy s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billy sSend a Private Message to billy sDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

The car is my design. As I said, this is laid out on cad and if anyone wants copies they will be available later. I would offer them now but I'm sure there will be revisions during the build. If you are a decent fabricator I don't see why you couldn't build a copy. Probably the most difficult thing for most will be welding 22 ga sheet metal and fitting the roll cage. As far as design, that is waaaay to complex to get into here. If you do decide to get into design, there are a lot of books out there. Read as many as you can. You'll find very few covering the whole design process, contradictions between different authors, and the whole subject migraine inducing. Talk to as many experts as you can, as most of the cutting edge stuff isn't written down anywhere. You must get familiar with the hardware available, not just what it does but the dimensions. Some knowledge only comes through testing, such as what happens to the design during a crash, and where the sweet spots are in suspension design. Make sure you visualize where every hose, line, wire, etc. will be routed before building, and how the car will be built step by step. If you do decide to design your own get the design reviewed by someone that knows what they're doing.

That chassis is awesome, it's a shame the build progress has come to an end or will you be building another?
Are the cad plans available yet?

Cheers Bill
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
The new owner has revealed himself elsewhere. Hopefully he'll keep this post going. You watching, Don?

Bob
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well;

SInce it has ben announced, yes I have agreed to purchace Doug's frame from him and will be driving down to Oregon from Calgary early June to pick it up and trailer it back.

I have a current project of a 355 replica that I am almost done and then getting into this one this winter coming up. I want to drive and enjoy the last 5 years' worth of labour with my current build before I get into the next one.

I have had all kinds of ideas about what to do with the body.

I am speaking to several people about working with them to set up a one off body for this beauty or I may continue with a HEAVILY modified Fiero body base that Doug was going with or go at a complete dody design on my own.

I really don't know yet. I still have to go pick this up and see what is left on the frame/mechanics side to make sure I am starting off with a solid base to play with the body on.

I'll make efforts to keep this up to date as I go but I will probably not be doing a whole bunch on it until the winter.

Cheers
Don

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 05-19-2006).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad to see that this car is going to another on the forum. Starting with a partial car will help to be sure.

------------------
Paul

Home Built Tube Chassis IMSA Race Car - 3.8 lb./hp | DAILY DRIVER and PROUD OF IT! 1987 Fiero GT 130,xxx, 3.1 motor, HHP swaybar, Full poly..... For a full history of the Fiero SS: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315

PFF
System Bot
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Anybody wondering: 1. What the hell has he been doing the last 6 months?
2. Why can't he drag that thing to Indiana?
3. What was all that 4wd crap about?
JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
Why can't you drag that thing to Indiana?
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
What was all that 4wd crap about?

What have you been doing the last 6 months?

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Doug: I'm sure had you wanted to talk about it when you made the annoucement, you would have. But, since you brought it up, "What's going on?"

Bob
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well;

After a really long weekend of driving (approximately 39 hours on the road out of 52 hours there and back), the frame now has a new home in my garage. The pictures in this thread do not do the art and design of this frame justice. It is incredible.

The only problem I encountered which was very disappointing is that I got caught in a terrible rain storm while going through Spokane, Washington and now a lot of the bare frame a surface of rust on it. I am going to have to pull everything off and get it either sand blasted or go at it with a wire wheel before the rust gets too bad.

This will be the last installment into this thread for a few months while I finish off the last of my current build.
I will attempt to keep this up to date once I get into this build.

Good luck to Doug as he heads East back to Indiana with his long drive.

Thanks
Don
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
things that go bump in the night.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well;

What I have been doing to date is looking at the frame and shape and determining what kind of shape I want to put on as a body. It is moving toward a sleek race type of shape with flowing lines front to back but not there completely yet.

I also put the frame on a trailer and took it to a friend's garage for storage until this Fall when I get to it and allow me more room in my garage for my current project. I am still finishing off my 355 replica to be ready to drive in July/August. When that is done, I will turn my attention to this one.

Cheers
Don
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update. Thought I had better provide an update before this thread gets archived. I have not started on this project yet as my current build is taking longer to complete than anticipated. I have not been getting out to the garage as often as I need to get it done.

I have just purchased a set of Ferrari 328 replica molds from a fellow close to me so I will be using these as a start to making a Ferrari 288 GTO replica fitted over this frame. I seem to have a Ferrari bent to me I did not realize.

Anyway, I will be getting the molds soon and then pulling panels to start the fitting over the winter.

Cheers
Don
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is cool.. But one question, is it really still a fiero since its 100% custom?
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33616 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by VenturaFiero:

Just found this topic, what a great Job, would love to get a copy of your cad files when you are ready to hand out... in the meantime keep up the posting, will say it again Great Job.

Cad files? Hmmm this ever happen? id love to see them as well and perhaps learn something from them.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
100% custom!!!!!!!!! are you kidding?! this thing has got fiero door and windshield openings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mr.tourismo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr.tourismoClick Here to visit mr.tourismo's HomePageSend a Private Message to mr.tourismoDirect Link to This Post
BUMP. i want to see more great craftmanship!
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Cad files? Hmmm this ever happen? id love to see them as well and perhaps learn something from them.

Ditto. Hell, I'll pay for those files if I have to.
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
Hey....

THis build looks incredible!!!

But honestly I think there should be only one kind of engine to go into this thing.....

Only one motor could do it justice....

Can anyone say...

L

S

no seriously though any LS series motor would do it justice
VSarge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VSargeSend a Private Message to VSargeDirect Link to This Post
OMG!!!! That is just freakin' awesome. Any chance of the cad files or prints? All I need is the rear end actually. Then I wouldn't be thinking of cutting a Fiero into a trike.

Sarge
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Everyone;

I obtained a partial set of CADs from GusHotRod when I bought the frame. They are in Inventor which is a 3d AutoDesk product that works with AutoCAD. I was able to take the files off the CD and had pdf's created of what was there.

The CADs, essentially, have the base floor framework, and the front and rear suspensions cage only with detailed drawings of each tube piece that makes up these areas. About 12 drawings in all. GusHotRod was not able to get the time to put any more in to CAD getting ready to move and all.

I had planned on finishing up the base CADs over the winter after I finished my curent project but I am running late with my current one so that one will probably take me most of the winter to finish at the rate I am getting into the garage to get at it. New job is taking way too many hours....

I am willing to provide a zip file of what is there but I am not up for emailing everyone a copy as there are way too many of you looking for the files on this forum. The zip file is about 300 kbyte big in pdf format. I have never been able to get PIP running on my machine, I think my firewall gets in the way and no time, nor will actually, to investigate, so if someone wants to reply to this with an email address, I will email what I have to them and they can upload here.

Cheers
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
email sent

Bob
aussiegodfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aussiegodfatherSend a Private Message to aussiegodfatherDirect Link to This Post
hi to all a great topic could you send me a copy of those plans thanks aussiegodfather
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock