Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2005 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

I was wondering how much I should be charge for getting the caliper brackets made ? I was also looking on Archies site and he sells the brackets for for his kit for $240 .Are they the same brackets ? The rotor in the picture looks to be a Lebaron vented rotor thats why I was asking .

Yes, same brackets, as far as how the calipers fit is concerned.
ALL 11.25" brakes for Fieros are based on the Camaro/S10 caliper with LeBaron rotor.

IP: Logged
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will . I'm taking those cad drawings you send me to acouple of places to see if they can make up the caliper brackets for me . I got everything else purchased now just the final step, the cal. brkts . I'll keep you posted .
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

What he has as 1/2" holes, I have as 0.484 (clearance for 12mm - 0.472). But that's not the issue. I now notice the 1/8" "Machine Allowance" next to the dimension I had used for the width where the bracket saddled the caliper. I guess to be precise I need to go to the junk yard and measure this dimension directly from the knuckles that volunteered my cores. What seems to fit the caliper is 3.770, vice the 3.520 (1.760 * 2) from the drawing. I'll probably end up with something in the neighborhood of 3.800 to account for variation, as that's an as-cast surface on the caliper.

The brackets would need the steps I've outlined here, in addition to just being cut from plate steel. If you find a shop that can laser cut instead of flame cut, then you won't need the "0.125 mach allow" called out where the caliper would fit. Instead the dimensions that are 1.76 would become 1.885. That's only if you can have it laser cut instead of flame cut.
Take a caliper into the shop along with the drawings, so that the machinist can have it to look at as well as the spec sheet.

Will

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The brackets would need the steps I've outlined here, in addition to just being cut from plate steel. If you find a shop that can laser cut instead of flame cut, then you won't need the "0.125 mach allow" called out where the caliper would fit. Instead the dimensions that are 1.76 would become 1.885. That's only if you can have it laser cut instead of flame cut.
Take a caliper into the shop along with the drawings, so that the machinist can have it to look at as well as the spec sheet.

Will

Woops...
Disregard my last. That only applies to the Zettner plans. The Kohburn drawings I sent you are set up to work correctly and will just require that the caliper mounting holes be tapped after the brackets are cut.

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
I faxed over a set of drawings to a metal fab shop and they told me they need the distance of the bolt hole to the edge of the brackets and the circumference of the circle of the center of the bracket . I guest they want as much info as possible to make it easier for them . If either Will or Kohburn can help me out I would greatly apprieciate it .

Thanks
Joe

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post

GODFATHER

1020 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Holy $h!t just got a phone call on a price for each bracket $215 for the frt and $244 ea for the rear . Does this sound right ? I hope not . I'll keep trying other metal fab places .
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's way too much. Are they milling them from unobtainium?
Flame or laser cutting from 3/8 plate should not be that expensive.

The drawings I sent you are Kohburn's, so talk to him about implicit dimensions...

Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
I'll toss some dimensions on there this afternoon for ya - as for price guys up in Canada that sent me mine said they could get em for about 5$ each

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 06-15-2005).]

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Kolburn . I was expecting about $150 to maybe $200 for all four brackets . I'll keep calling and going around . Thanks in advance for any info .
Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
I have used the SSBC calipers on a kit I made with the 11.24" Lebaron rotors. I have some pictures on my digital camara, is there some one I can send them to that will be able to post them ?

Thanks
Joe

------------------
Team Race-Tech Automotive inc.

Specializing in Fiero performance
3800 swaps, custom 3800 and N* Aluminum flywheels, big Brakes, Engine rebuild, Aftermarket wheels, Bolt on performance parts, body enhancements, used Fiero parts, Authorized MOMO dealer, Authorized SSBC dealer.

www.thefieroshop.com www.racetechauto.com

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You can post them.
Scroll to the very bottom of this page and click on the red & blue link labeled Pennock's Image Poster.
A small program will download to your computer. This program is used to upload files to a PFF hosting server.
PFF
System Bot
Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post

You can post them.
Scroll to the very bottom of this page and click on the red & blue link labeled Pennock's Image Poster.
A small program will download to your computer. This program is used to upload files to a PFF hosting server.

Hi Wil, I down loaded the software, but still don't know what I should be looking for. As you can see I don't play around much on my computer to know what works and what doesn't.

If you could coach me a bit I might be able to get it right.

Joe

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you can also go to www.photobucket.com - sign up - its free and easy and resizes images over 250kb
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try and make the brackets myself. I'm going to borrow a friends plasma cutter and give it a shot . I got the cad prints and made them the actual size for patterns s I can trace them . I got some other prices from other machine shops that I thought where still to high .
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2005 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Are you guys still using the Blazer MC as well??? We installed the Corvette MC when we did the 12" vette brakes on the 86 and we had to have new MC to proportioning block lines made.. I noticed the vette MC was mentioned again earlier in this thread, but I'd like to avoid having to make new lines again...

I would also like to know about the Master Cylinder.
I have Archie's Big Brake setup and it came with a 92-94 Full Sized 1/2 Ton 2WD Pickup Master Cylinder that I am about to install.
I would like to know if it will work well or if there is a better choice.
Is it a problem that it is a Rear Drum Master Cylinder?
Is it recomended to get an adjustable proportioning valve?

------------------

87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress
Custom LED Notchback Tail Lights

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2005 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GODFATHER:

I'm going to try and make the brackets myself. I'm going to borrow a friends plasma cutter and give it a shot . I got the cad prints and made them the actual size for patterns s I can trace them . I got some other prices from other machine shops that I thought where still to high .

No reason you can't cut the outline by hand if you're careful, however, I would strongly suggest drilling the caliper and knuckle mounting bolt holes because they need to be pretty precise, especially the caliper mounting holes, because they will need to be tapped for the bolts that hold the calipers.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2005 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:
Hi Wil, I down loaded the software, but still don't know what I should be looking for. As you can see I don't play around much on my computer to know what works and what doesn't.

Joe

Been a while since I installed it on my computer. I'll see if I can install it on something else to refresh my memory.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Here's the PIP online manual: http://pip.pennock.nl/manual.html
Enjoy.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Kohburn or Will.... Do you guys have a 'better' master cylinder idea, or you sticking with the blazer one?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I believe I have the Blazer MC on my car, but it's been so long that I forgot all the diameters.
What's the ID of the Blazer MC? Isn't there a Vette MC that's a little bigger?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
the 'normal' blazer MC and the 80's vette MC are the same diameter.. 1.125 if I remember correctly..
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2005 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
Just thought I would bump this to the top.

I am going to have Kohburn's revised adapters made very soon. I just want to know, do I need any spacers to aline the caliper to the new rotor? Could I just use washers or something like that? I am asking this becaue I got a print out of all the parts from Archie, and it lists...

(4) caliper adapter spacers front 1.00"OD x .50"ID x .435 thick
(4) caliper adapter spacers rear 1.00"OD x .50"ID x .060 thick

I obviously excluded a bunch of parts, but these spacers kind of confused me a little.

I now am going to use the front and rear calipers off an 80-85 Seville, the master cyl. from 92-94 chevy full sized 1/2 ton pickup, and the new lug studs (PN 610-323). I am just wondering if I should have those spacers made the same time I make the caliper adapters?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2005 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
the .060 spacer is the standard thickness of a washer - just get 4- 1/2" washers

the other 4 spacers can be cut from round barstock on a lathe of bandsaw and drilled - for mine I took some .375" thick flat barstock and cut 4 squares with a sawsall then drilled them 1/2" through

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 07-11-2005).]

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
Back on page 1, someone brought up the SSBC Force 10 R1 for use on the rear since they have ebrake levers.
Has anybody used these? Do the work with with the brackets that were in the orginal design?
Where is a good source to get these from? Price?

Thanks

GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the caliper brackets from Archie .I don't have the time to make the brackets or shop around for someone that can . I have everything else to do the job .
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Good luck and good results!
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

The 1LE third gen's had aluminum calipers, but they are rare and expensive. Much more cost-effective to use the iron ones.
Besides, that's what the market is already built around.

A friend of mine just "upgraded" the brakes on his 87 IROC to 1LE spec. He got the spindles from the internet and bought the rotors and calipers from Autozone. You CAN still get the 1LE dual-piston, aluminum calipers as reman FENCO from AZ, part numbers and prices are as follows...

Driver's side: C364, $33.99 w/ $20.00 core, Lifetime Warranty, special order (available)
Pass side: C365, $33.99 w/ $35.00 core, Lifetime Warranty, special order (available)

Of course the core price is going to drive the purchase price of these pieces up if you don't have cores to give them. Although, my friend cheated and took back his stock IROC iron cores which they accepted as the cores for the 1LE calipers. Probably not something I would do because I shop there quite often. Furthermore, the 1LE calipers are set up for larger than stock Camaro brake rotors, therefore I would assume they won't work with the brackets mentioned in this thread.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That's about twice the cost of the iron calipers.

Are they set up for larger diameter rotors? I thought that the normal and 1LE brakes used the same rotor.

What's different about the knuckles? Are the caliper mounting points different?

If they have the same mounting points, they could just bolt on to the normal brackets, but then again so can SSBC and Wilwood calipers.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

What's different about the knuckles? Are the caliper mounting points different?

If they have the same mounting points, they could just bolt on to the normal brackets, but then again so can SSBC and Wilwood calipers.

Nope, the mounting points are different which his friend had to change the spindles.

I just asked Sluppy to make me the second redesign of the rear brackets that Kohburn posted. I really think that those brackets are going to simplify the rear end of this brake upgrade.

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2005 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

When using REAR LeBaron rotors and 3/8" thick caliper brackets, use 0.325 thick spacers between caliper mounting ears and caliper bracket.
When using LeBaron FRONT rotors and 3/8" thick caliper brackets, use 0.650 thick spacers.

This information was for use with Street Dreams aluminum knuckles.

I just did a mock up with the stock knuckles and you'll need 0.450 or so thick spacers with LeBaron rear rotors and 0.800 or so thick spacers with the LeBaron front rotors, due to elevation difference between the caliper mounting ears.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

yeah you need some sort of CAD viewer program to print them

http://www.viscoustech.com/downloads/rear-adaptor-3.dxf is the updated rear adaptor that hasn't been tested yet
http://www.viscoustech.com/downloads/rear-adaptor-2.dxf is the rear adaptor as I am running it
http://www.viscoustech.com/downloads/front-adaptor.dxf is the front adaptor

Ever get around to testing the -3 adapter?

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Team Race-Tech:

Joe

If you still want to post pics, I'll host them for you.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Ever get around to testing the -3 adapter?

no I am using the -2 adaptor so no need for me to make the -3's

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
i'm going to bring this back t the top and ask a question:
can someone post an updated parts list for the improved design?

and also, what sort of spacing do i need for the caliper mounts?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

the .060 spacer is the standard thickness of a washer - just get 4- 1/2" washers

the other 4 spacers can be cut from round barstock on a lathe of bandsaw and drilled - for mine I took some .375" thick flat barstock and cut 4 squares with a sawsall then drilled them 1/2" through

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
cool. now can we get an updated parts list?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
bump for later tonight
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Guess I should have read page 3 of this thread.

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 09-18-2005).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flyguyeddy:
cool. now can we get an updated parts list?

Is it too much to ask of you to read the thread and compile one yourself? You'd have had it by now.

The calipers come from 4WD '83-'94 S10 pickups/T10 Blazers.
The left is CarQuest P/N 18-4129 and the right is CarQuest P/N 18-4128 for unloaded calipers.
The loaded caliper P/N's are 16-4128(9) for right and left, respectively.

Do NOT get 2WD calipers. Those are exactly the same as the F-body calipers.

Originally posted by FieroMikeTDC:
Sorry to steal the thread but does anyone know a good place to order rotors from? I went to canadian tire today to price out the same rotors [11.26" vented, rear, for an 89-94 LeBaron] used in this upgrade and it came to a sticker price of $86 per rotor. Good thread BTW.

Just incase anyone is curious - the s10 blazer caliper is the same P/N as the FRONT caliper for the 85 cadilac seville (85 cadilac seville is what you get the rear calipers from)

so get the front and rear calipers from an 85 seville - the 4 rear rotors from an 89 chrysler lebaron - and the rest of the parts list

thats what I just ordered -
1- 92 blazer 1-1/8" bore master cyl
4- 85 caddillac seville front and rear calipers
4- 94 chrysler lebaron vented rear rotors
10- wheel studs (610-323)
2- 86 fiero front brake hoses (to use on the rear)

I'll pick up pads locally since they are only 11$ a set for the cheapies or look for performance pads for the the front of an 82-92 Chevrolet Camaro

don't know yet If I'm going to add them to my company's inventory - but I will supply the cad files I used

http://www.viscoustech.com/downloads/front-adaptor.dxf

http://www.viscoustech.com/downloads/rear-adaptor-2.dxf

I just did a mock up with the stock knuckles and you'll need 0.450 or so thick spacers with LeBaron rear rotors

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

no I am using the -2 adaptor so no need for me to make the -3's

You're using it with slightly modified pads, right? I was wondering if you knew if -3 would let the caliper be mounted without pad modifications.
Also, the calipers are on the same side as stock, but on the rear of the knuckle instead of the front, right? So the bleeders are on the bottom? Or do I have that messed up?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock