Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 11)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
gold87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gold87Send a Private Message to gold87Direct Link to This Post
paypal sent. just let me know if you got it.
IP: Logged
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Any one who ordered "a set" is getting the front brackets and the tried and tested 10 degree rear brackets. I did not want to sell someone something that was not definitely tried and tested. We know the 10 degree sets work fine and, as posted several times in this thread, just require a small mod to (I believe) the inner brake pad. The only people who are getting the 5 degree rear set are the ones who specifically asked for them to try it out. Myself included.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I measured the "thickness" of the front brackets at the narrowest part of the "C" shape between the mounting holes and it was 1" thick. I hope this helps with the "will they work on the SD front spindles" answers.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

Any one who ordered "a set" is getting the front brackets and the tried and tested 10 degree rear brackets. I did not want to sell someone something that was not definitely tried and tested. We know the 10 degree sets work fine and, as posted several times in this thread, just require a small mod to (I believe) the inner brake pad. The only people who are getting the 5 degree rear set are the ones who specifically asked for them to try it out. Myself included.

Are you closer to shipping them yet? I have all everything that can be done completed for my conversion, now I am just waiting on the brackets.

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2006 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Anyone who ordered.....check you PM's. I shipped out 13 orders this morning and have begun PM ing you guys with the shipping charges. I have been adding a little note to everyone's PM's about chasing the threads for the caliper bolt holes. I found a few with "dirty" or "rough" threads...did not have access to my thread chasers last night or I would have done them.....the tap size is 7/16-20 if you need to know.
HAPPY BRAKING !!!!!!!!!

Bob
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2006 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Bump...and payment for shipping on its way!

Jason
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2006 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys....I need some help making a decision. I have not heard from (or been paid by) a person who ordered a set and has been PM'd several times. I also have another person who just missed the order placement by a day and is extremely interested in a set. Do I wait to hear from the first, or do I sell to the second? I am looking for a majority vote here so I can be fair about this (and re-coup my money).

Thanks
Bob

Pontiac boi.....where are you? Maxboost11 and psychosurfer yours are ready and waiting (got your PM's). Gold 87, Scythe, and PTFiero yours will be shipped this week. Multmigs and Vonov, let me sort this out.....I will PM you.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

rjblaze

1159 posts
Member since May 2006
bump for opinions?
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2006 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
In my opinion, non payment = non commitment. In this type of arrangement, cash in hand seals the deal. Orders and promises don't mean squat if no payment has been made. Add to that the fact that they have not responded to any of your PM's makes it a no-brainer. Next person to pay up gets the parts.

Thanks for all of your work on this. Can't wait to bolt them on!

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

In my opinion, non payment = non commitment. In this type of arrangement, cash in hand seals the deal. Orders and promises don't mean squat if no payment has been made. Add to that the fact that they have not responded to any of your PM's makes it a no-brainer. Next person to pay up gets the parts.

Thanks for all of your work on this. Can't wait to bolt them on!

I agree
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The bolt centers ARE the same, but I don't know how much of the brackets currently for sale would have to be removed and I probably wouldn't be wild about it, since they look kinda thin to start with.

since the distance between the hub and the caliper is the same then if any grinding was necessary it would be no thinner than your adaptors. :P

PFF
System Bot
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Give it to the next guy in line, you snooze you lose!

Jason
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I am agreeing with you guys......I have PM'd the next guys in line and hopefully will be hearing from them soon. Thanks for the input!!
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone get their sets yet? I sent a bunch of them on saturday and was hoping someone would have gotten them by now. Just anxious I guess.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today. I am painting them tomorrow after wrok, and then will complete my install.

They look great BTW.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

since the distance between the hub and the caliper is the same then if any grinding was necessary it would be no thinner than your adaptors. :P

No, they'd be thinner than mine. Mine follow the contours of the caliper much more closely.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

No, they'd be thinner than mine. Mine follow the contours of the caliper much more closely.

Will, do you know the distance between the centerline of the caliper bolt holes (verticle line between them) and the inner curve you machined to clear the hub?

Thanks
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Haven't received them yet. How were they shipped? Priority, first class, one horse open sleigh...?

Thanks again!!

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 11-09-2006).]

DandRauto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
Got mine yesterday

Nice
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I got the brackets painted and installed. This is probably the easiest upgrade ever... everything simply bolts on. I did have to make my own spacers for the front... at least I had to cut them to the correct size. I also tapped the rear knuckle for 7/16-20 bolts. I still need to put the brackets on the passenger side, and will do it tomorrow.

Now, all that is left is to install the braided hose, install the pads (still need to buy them) bleed the brakes, and take it for a test ride.

The bigger brake rotor with bright red calipers really stand out. I will put pics up tomorrow after I am done.

Thanks again for the outstanding deal.

Cheers!
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Haven't received them yet. How were they shipped? Priority, first class, one horse open sleigh...?

Thanks again!!

They must have forgotten the horse.....I was wondering why that 90 year old letter carrier with the bad back was given these to deliver!

Really, the were sent regular parcel post...no priority....kept the cost down...alot of you guys live pretty far from me.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Here is an inprogress pic... I still need to put pads in the caliper and change out the rubber hose for the stainless steel ones that I have.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Looking good Topcat! I'm hoping to find a package waiting for me when I go home this weekend.

How big are your wheels? I'm trying to figure out if I can get them under my 15's, or if I'll need to wait until I get rubber on my new 16's before I do the brake swap.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I have 17" Motegi MR7 chromed wheels.

However I've seen pics of this swap with the stock 15" wheel.
Not my pic. I found them in this thread

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
RJ, payment enroute by express mail; should be in your hands by tomorrow. PM sent.
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Where have you guys found the best prices for the rotors and calipers? I would really like to get those zinc plated rotors so they dont rust. After I get my brackets I gotta go out and get everything!

Jason
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I found a great set of rotors at brakeperformance.com. They were a bit pricey at $200/pair, but for ductile (not cast) iron, slotted and ball-milled, and cad plated your choice of three colors they look worth it. These are the ones I am getting.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to hear topcat's report on his test ride.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

Where have you guys found the best prices for the rotors and calipers? I would really like to get those zinc plated rotors so they dont rust. After I get my brackets I gotta go out and get everything!

Jason

My rotors came from Rock Auto. They are not plated, but my car spends a lot of time in the garage so rust should be minimal. I found rear calipers and the master cylinder at a local yard, front calipers at Auto Zone, wheel bearings and studs from a local parts store chain, and braided hoses from the Fiero Store. I also picked up front rotors off a Fiero in a local yard to have them parted out since I plan on selling the cross drilled rotors that is coming off the car.

My costs:
Front Wheel Bearings - $26.00 for both hubs
5 Studs (610-323)*- $10.00/set
5 Studs (610-376)* - $5.00/set
Front Calipers - $14.00 each
Rear Calipers - $20.00 each
Master Cylinder - $5.00
LeBaron Rotors - $14.00 each
Fiero Front Rotors - $4.00 each
Brake Hoses - Picked up 4 years ago and I do not remember the cost but they are $99.00 at the Fiero Store now.

*The studs were an interesting saga. My front rotor on the right side looks to be an aftermarket rotor. The 610-323 studs fit the drivers side rotor, but the stud holes on the passenger side rotor were slight larger so the 610-323 stud was too small in diameter. Do'h!

So I had to go looking for studs to fit. I took the hub with me to one of my favorite auto parts stores; one that still uses books instead of computers. He had a parts book with nothing but wheel studs. The book had a pic of the studs, with the size breakout (knurl/shoulder/thread size/length). We measured the knurl on the old stud, found the closest one in the book with the correct thread size for the Fiero that was long enough for the added thckness of the rotor, and we had a fit with part number 610-376.

I am glad I started picking up parts before the brackets came in. It took me five days of searching after work to just find the correct stud size for the aftermarket rotor.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 11-10-2006).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What was the knurl size and what was the application for the stud you found?

I had the same problem with new wheel bearings for the rear of my 6000 AWD. The new bearings had a 9/16 knurl, while the old ones had a 1/2" knurl. I ended up paying an exorbitant amount for extra length ARP studs for an '80's Celica GTS.

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

They must have forgotten the horse.....I was wondering why that 90 year old letter carrier with the bad back was given these to deliver!

Really, the were sent regular parcel post...no priority....kept the cost down...alot of you guys live pretty far from me.

The old man made it last night! Brackets are awesome!! Thanks for all the hard work.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

PFF
System Bot
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

What was the knurl size and what was the application for the stud you found?

I had the same problem with new wheel bearings for the rear of my 6000 AWD. The new bearings had a 9/16 knurl, while the old ones had a 1/2" knurl. I ended up paying an exorbitant amount for extra length ARP studs for an '80's Celica GTS.

I do not know the application that the larger knurl studs are for, but here is the size info.

Knurl Diameter:13.90mm
Overall Length:49mm
Shoulder Length:15mm
Thread Size:M12-1.5
Thread Type:Right Hand

This is 5 mm shorter that the 610-323 stud, but it is plenty long enough. I put the wheel on and had more than enough of the stud for the lugnut to thread onto.

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 11-10-2006).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the topcat test drive...
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

Bump for the topcat test drive...

I had to go into the office today, so I did not get much done on it. The test drive will happen tomorrow afternoon.
superdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superdaveSend a Private Message to superdaveDirect Link to This Post
Just received my braquets.

Thank's Bob.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Here's to better braking!!!!! Enjoy, enjoy!!!! Glad to hear you are all quite happy with the brackets. The last "shipped" brackets will be going out tomorrow morning and I will actually get to deliver a set in person (looks like next weekend however). Good luck to all. Now I have to collect my parts and begin my notchie's transformation. Trips to the "yard"......auto parts store.......my friends garage (stored parts).......my basement...............my shed........................ my friends shed.............etc., etc., etc......................!!!!!!!!!!! My baby has really gotten "around".
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
Hey rjblaze where are you located in Bethlehem ? I'm in Saylorsburg we should hook up. If you need to see the finished brake upgrade or drive one you could take my v8 fiero out . PM me if you need anything.

Joe

Hey Tony waiting to hear how you like the new brakes .

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 11-11-2006).]

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Godfather.......I sent you a PM a long time ago about the same thing.......I am just south of the mountain by Lehigh Goodman Stadium and Stabler arena, just on the west side of Rte378 behind the HESS mini-mall.

Sorry guys! I went to the P.O. this morning and nobody was around. The sign on the door said that they were closed for "Veteran's Day". I thoiught their holiday would be on Monday. Typical state employees, getting off ( and probably paid for) two days for a one day holiday. I'll try to get them out some time during the week if I can leave late one day for work.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Hey Godfather.......I sent you a PM a long time ago about the same thing.......I am just south of the mountain by Lehigh Goodman Stadium and Stabler arena, just on the west side of Rte378 behind the HESS mini-mall.

Sorry guys! I went to the P.O. this morning and nobody was around. The sign on the door said that they were closed for "Veteran's Day". I thoiught their holiday would be on Monday. Typical state employees, getting off ( and probably paid for) two days for a one day holiday. I'll try to get them out some time during the week if I can leave late one day for work.

Even worse, they're federal employees, lol...((((((((CRRR-RRR-ACKK!!!!)))))))) "Back to work, slaves, or you'll taste this lash!!!"
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Hmm..wonder where my brackets are. I cant wait to get workin on em!

Thanks for your input on rotors and calipers.

Jason
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock