Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Fiero Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Car (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Car by Hulki U. My-BFF
Started on: 01-05-2011 07:15 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 01-11-2011 05:33 PM
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
My youngest son, Darion, is in Cub Scouts and has to build a Pinewood Derby car every year. This year, he decided he wanted a Fiero for his car, so we went about tracing and cutting, until you see what we ended up with. He did the paint, except for the Formula side logos, which I had a steadier hand for. He loves it, and even said that it can grace my Fiero shrine cabinet here at the house after the derby is done. What do you think?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I like everything about this except you say he "has" to build one every year....has to?!? Gets to! I cant wait to have a son some day so i can build pinewood derby cars again.

Tell him he did a great job, i hope it was fun making it.

(I should see if i can find some pictures of my old ones...no fieros but i had a wiener mobile, a roll of lifesavers, and a skateboard car)
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the very rare widetrack model. As a father, you are an inspiration to all.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Those widetracks didn't get the good '88 suspension, did they? And my memory also says that none of them were stick-shift.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
That's great !!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Man - I have to go build one now!

Hope he smokes all the competition! Take some pics or video and post it up!

Pat
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

And my memory also says that none of them were stick-shift.

Powerglide!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Wider is better.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Owwww....a choptop!!!
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
NICE!
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!! A new iteration of the Fiero, with all wood interior!
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
YOUR DOING IT WRONG... tell him he needsto build a fastback... you need at leas one in our driveway .
I see someone put a wrap around wing on it..
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Hum I remember being in Cub Scouts about 50 years ago and we had the same race. I didn't do so good but the winner added weight to his. I'm wandering if there is a weight limit to keep things fair. The Formula looks really nice, you should be proud.
G-Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-ManSend a Private Message to G-ManDirect Link to This Post
My daughters' (yes thats plural) Brownie troop has done the derby the last two years so I've had to build two cars each year. The first year I got some 1/4" or 5/16" thick balsa from Hobby Lobby and glued that to each side of the car so they actually had wheel wells. One was a NASCAR truck and the other was like a 40's era sedan. The sedan got 3rd that year.

Last year, just did a couple wedge designs. Got 2nd and 3rd.

There is a whole set of rules on how heavy, how long and how wide that the car can be. I think its 5 oz max weight and the car basically has to fit the box it came in as far as width and length. I don't think there is a height restriction.

Yours is already done so you can't do much in the way of getting all the wheels parallel. Just be sure to lube the axles with powdered graphite and work that stuff in good.

Good luck
Gary

eta: If the car is under weight and you're going to add some, you want it as far back on the car as possible.

[This message has been edited by G-Man (edited 01-05-2011).]

farming for fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for farming for fierosSend a Private Message to farming for fierosDirect Link to This Post
put some graphite on the "axles" lol
doug.s

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doug.sClick Here to visit doug.s's HomePageSend a Private Message to doug.sDirect Link to This Post
Way Cool! Keep us updated on how he does.

Doug
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Our scouts typically have a rules car, and an anything-goes car. And it's not just the boys. It's also ALL the men under age 60 or so. Not really anything goes, we have size limits, and no fire power, like rockets. But carbon dioxide cartridges stacked on top and in the back are "de rigeur"
Likewise using lead instead of wood.
I'll try to get some pics, if anyone is willing.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
First off, it's not a T-Top car, that's gonna be a serious reduction in points!

Looks good! Hope he wipes the competition!
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post
This brightened up my morning!
jeep107

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeep107Send a Private Message to jeep107Direct Link to This Post
Thats excellent, just brought back memories of building these 30 some years ago when I was in Cub's
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Proof yer raisin' him right!

Looks GREAT!

Making a pinewood car is a nice way for a father and son to spend some quality time together.
PFF
System Bot
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyDirect Link to This Post
thats awesome! i was in scouts and made one of my dads white fiero. im going to go find it after school
Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I remember back when me and my dad made those things for scouts. Good times
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
That looks AWESOME!!!!!

Good job!!! & Good luck in the race!

Chris
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The races are on Sunday, and I will post videos in this thread of his races. We weighed it tonight and have to add almost 2 oz. to it.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I see it's chopped, he just needs to lower it a little more.

Jim
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The races are on Sunday, and I will post videos in this thread of his races. We weighed it tonight and have to add almost 2 oz. to it.

To get it to the exact weight, my dad and I drilled holes in the back, then used those lead anchor-thingies (Things that you stick in the wall to screw screws into) You could probably reach yer weight using a quarter or something taped on the bottom...

Are you allowed to use lubricants? Either teflon or powdered graphite inside the axles! (the area of the nail where the wheel rests on)

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 01-07-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

To get it to the exact weight, my dad and I drilled holes in the back, then used those lead anchor-thingies (Things that you stick in the wall to screw screws into) You could probably reach yer weight using a quarter or something taped on the bottom...

Are you allowed to use lubricants? Either teflon or powdered graphite inside the axles! (the area of the nail where the wheel rests on)

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I lubes the axles (nails) with graphite powder. I don't know how the car will do, but I know it will look good doing it, and Darion loves the car so he's a winner already.

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

I love it! Of coarse, I would probably have reversed the color scheme to create a mini-Petey.

Good luck with your races. I always enjoyed the Pinewood Derby with my son. I never could convince him to go Fiero body though. LOL.

Jeff
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
If you paint the center of crosslace wheels black, it will look even more like a Formula.
PFF
System Bot
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
Can't wait to read all about the Pinewood Engine Swap.....we will need lots pf pictures.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
What are the rules & the track layout etc?

They run by gravity I guess (the track is a downhill) ?

Wider is not always better--you want minimum cross section-IOW, minimum air resistance, skinny tires with least amt of contact patch would be most desirable, with a very sleek (pointed) front end--(nose looks too blunt too) but I realize it is a derby entry, and a fun thing for the Scouts more than all else, and that's the only important thing.

I used to watch the videos of belt sander races. Still waiting for someone to disquise one as a little electric Fiero.
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyDirect Link to This Post

here is mine about 10 years ago. i think i was in second grade
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the kids having fun and making good memories is most important. Ours will be on the 27th and 28th, so I still have time to whip something up for the unlimited class. Those of us old enough to have kids participating in the official rules class aren't doing rules cars. Fine by me.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Adults play this game too. Here's my car from a fundraiser event I was involved with

a few speed tips for you, raise one of the front wheels [not a rear] so the car balances and rolls on 3 wheels [reduces friction, your enemy], get the center of gravity as far rearward as possible, you want the weight to push the car down the hill as long as possible, tweak the axles so you have slight negative camber at all 4 corners [reduces friction], make sure car rolls straight and true, if you have a wheelbase and total length rule, get all the over hang at the front of the car, the car is rolling down the hill longer with the wheels as far back as possible.

good luck and have fun

link is broke, i'll fix it later

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 01-10-2011).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
AV8 your link is broken.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
So what kinds loser says the race is Sunday and makes us wait till Monday to let us know how the results came out.... Your screwing up Andy
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Fixed the link, I finished fourth out of a 100+ cars, I took home best engineered as well. Another pinewood speed tip is to rub the graphite all over the wheels, sides especially, as they rub on the track lanes. The slicker you can get the car the faster it will go

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 01-10-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Well, the results are, Darion came in third place in his den, and we are extremely proud of him! I did shoot some video, just have to get it off the camera. I'll do that tomorrow night and put them up here. He did win an award for most realistic car.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock