Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Does Anyone Make or Sell Custom Automatic Shifters?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does Anyone Make or Sell Custom Automatic Shifters? by craigsfiero2007
Started on: 01-01-2011 01:16 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Amethyst on 01-03-2011 11:33 AM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone make or sell aftermarket automatic shifters for the Fiero? Or does anyone know if one out of another car will work?

------------------

US Army- Machinist (44E) Fort Hood, TX 1st Cav!

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-01-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman sells a "manual look" auto shift arm. There's also at least one, and maybe more, members here who have shortened their auto shifters, and might even modify them, but their screenames escape me right now...
Terry_w

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Terry_wSend a Private Message to Terry_wDirect Link to This Post
Do a search for auto shifter as the subject in all forums. Lots to look at.
Here's one that refers to others
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101931.html
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Guys! Could you put a shifter out of a GTP in a Fiero?
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I know we have a few threads about the B&M shifters. I don't recall seeing GTP shifters mentioned in the last couple of years, however.
The detents will be in the right place for any 440-T$, 4T60E, 4T65E or 4T65E-HD, so that would be in your favor. You might also consider the shifters from later Corvettes, since they put their 4L60E in the back starting in '97, until they went 6L80E for I think '07. I don't think a 6L80E version would do you much good. Also consider raiding a '93-up Firebird or Camaro.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The shifters from a FWD application have the cable brackets to the front vs. the rear ones that fiero uses. That being said, I think Rickady88GT used a GTP/MCSS shifter in his LS4 swap and just got a really long shifter cable so it could run the front and then loop back to the rear.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I used a small pipe that would slide over the stock shaft and mounted a manual shift nob on it. When I pushed down on the knob it would push the lock so I could shift.
That was a long time ago and I doubt I will be able to find any pictures, but it wasn't hard to do.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Used a GTP shifter in mine, needed alot of modifying to make it work, it was wayyyy too tall, I think I took 3-4" off it. I also used a shift cable from a 4T65E car although I dont know what model. The cable was long enough to go under the stereo console, loop back and go to the engine compartment where it had plenty left to follow the outside perimiter to the trans and I didn't need to modify the shift bracket or lever at all.
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
We have these in all of our fieros!! Each one a different color!! I just had to order a new one for my 88, I had one of the original ones that didn't have the top button for the automatic but the entire ball pushed down and now it's not engaging the safety lockout in the steering column... (more or less I think that's what it was... lol)

http://www.flameball.com/HomePage.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amethyst (edited 01-02-2011).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Dang Amethyst, you must be awfully unlucky to never score a stick shift Fiero. Sincere condolences.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Amethyst- I like that shifter knob. I will have to look into that. Thanks! +1 for you
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
If you want to stay with a stock auto shifter and add some nice leather i can recover it for you in what ever color and what ever color stitching you would want.
ZombiePenguin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZombiePenguinSend a Private Message to ZombiePenguinDirect Link to This Post
Well, somebody stole the radio out of my fiero. it broke the linkage to the button so now i just have a manual knob on mine. looks decent, wish i could go side to side with it though
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

Dang Amethyst, you must be awfully unlucky to never score a stick shift Fiero. Sincere condolences.

Actually we do have a stick shift... my son owns it.

Been a long time since I've driven a stick shift... fieros aren't so forgiving on the clutch getting going as a 351 mustang!! lol Those were the days!! I learned some important lessons back then... you don't down shift going up a hill... when the clutch goes out... gravity rules!! (Same hill) Oh yeah, a broomstick makes a wonderful makeshift alignment tool when replacing clutches!! What else?? Oh yeah, there's just enough room between the front seats to... never mind... I was a lot skinnier back then... laugh...

Nowadays I'm quite content with an automatic... if I feel the need to handle a stick, I'll just go find Max!!

Thank you craigsfiero2007, glad to be of some assistance!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amethyst (edited 01-03-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock