Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My Fiero 3.4 DOHC is finally legal in the state of California! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
My Fiero 3.4 DOHC is finally legal in the state of California! by sspeedstreet
Started on: 12-29-2010 05:34 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 01-02-2011 10:35 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Edited to add: THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT MY BUILDING A CALIFORNIA SMOG LEGAL 3.4 DOHC 5-SPEED 1988 FIERO. IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, THIS TECHNICAL DISCUSSION PROBABLY WILL BE OF NO INTEREST TO YOU. IT IS NOT A PLACE TO VENT YOUR DISLIKE OF ALL THINGS CALIFORNIA. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION.

Just short of six years since I started the swap, it made it through the CARB referee. I can't speak about all of them, but the tech here was very knowledgeable about even our somewhat obscure cars. Just for future reference for anyone going through the process, it seemed the two things most examined during the visual were the intake manifold and the air cleaner. I had applied some raised lettering to the manifold (a very clean job if I say so myself) and he questioned me about it being "aftermarket". No problem after I explained how I did it myself. However, I was using the stock Fiero air cleaner and that didn't pass. I had to come back with a Lumina unit wired in place and then I was good to go.

I say he was knowledgeable because he did raise the car and inspected underneath with a flashlight. At the end when he was explaining about the air cleaner he said "I see you have a rear exhaust manifold mounted upside down on the front of the motor". Man, with all A/C hoses, wiring, coolant hose and heat blanket in there, he couldn't have seen much of it to recognize that.

After it passed he was very complimentary of the car. He said the LQ1 looked like a perfect match to the car.

Anyway, it's done and I can finish buttoning it all up. Thank you to everyone here on the forum for all the help when I needed it. You've been great!

Next: Finish hooking up the Corvette power steering install.

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC crate motor with Getrag 5-speed. 6-speed installation is next.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 12-30-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Direct Link to This Post
Nice! Three of us is doing that swap down here in San Diego. Anything very important that we need to know before we see the ref? Can you post pics of your swap. Congrats on passing, we are right behind you.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Now you need to supply photos of the completed project. Congratulations on getting through the process.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Cool and congrats. Did you have to install the AIR stuff as well as I see it's a stick shift.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I would never live in California.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
A referee? That sounds crazy. What are you living in a dictatorship there?
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

I'm afraid I didn't take a lot of photos while in process. Most of a LQ1 install is documented elsewhere, but I did a few details differently.

The only thing I can think of I had to redo because I was unhappy with the results was the main harness. I started with a 1992 Lumina harness and did a lot of the initial work on the bench; tagging all the connectors, removing the right side electrical center (redirecting the relay wiring in a bundle to be connected to the Fiero relays) and redirecting the wires that would connect to the C500 plug.

The motor/Getrag was mounted on a spare cradle on a stand so the assembly was at chest level. That way I wouldn't have to work on my hands and knees. I then put the harness on to the motor and connected to all the sensors, coils etc. Compared to the Fiero 2.8 wiring/plumbing mess the 3.4 DOHC harness looks bare-bones. Once the new harness could be further directed to their final destinations. I used a lot of zip-ties to sort everything and lay out lengths.

It was at this point I started dealing with the wires that would pass through into the passenger compartment for the ECM (I used the stock location), the C203 plug and the ALDL connector. I decided life would be easier if there was a plug for all that in the engine compartment. I used a Ford Taurus water tight plug (has about 40 connectors) and mounted it to the firewall next to the pass-through:

Now the harness length was a little less critical and the whole thing can be disconnected without dealing with the passenger compartment. Likewise, the ECM, C203 plug and the ALDL connector could be wired from the inside of the car to the Taurus plug separately from the main harness.

Once the engine-trans assembly was in the car the final lengths to the C500 and to the relays was determined and the plugs installed. I kind of went over the top on all my connectors, disassembling them, putting new terminals on the wires and reassembling them. I won't say I have no splices in the harness, but I tried to have as few as possible. A word on splicing: I soldered all my joints and used dual-wall shrink tube to cover them. Dual-wall is regular shrink tube that has been lined with a thin coating of a hot glue type plastic. When you heat the tube to shrink it, the liner melts and oozes out each end. This serves two purposes: one, obviously, is to keep dirt, grease and water out of the joint. Second is to keep the tube from ever sliding out of place (it happens).

It was at this point I found I had a problem. I have air conditioning on my car and I had left the coils in stock location on the lower front of the motor. There simply wasn't room between the motor and firewall for all that had been put there. I decided (for a lot of reasons) to move the coils to the top of the motor. I had considered this initially in the swap; it just seems like a stupid place to put them. So I built a bracket that mounts them over the C500 plug (my battery is up front). The plug wires are much shorter and and a lot of the DIS wiring goes to the C500 anyway. I made a few other changes along the way. My MAP sensor is mounted to the firewall to get it out of the way of the deck lid. More wires to reroute. At this point I started to rethink the two bulky plugs leading to the top of the motor. I eliminated them and only have the fuel injector wire coming up that way. Even with these changes it's a squeeze getting the A/C hoses through.

When the harness was completed you can picture it like this: It's a continuous bundle between the firewall pass-through (Taurus plug in my case) draped in front of the motor over to the C500 plug. A large branch goes over top of the bellhousing for sensors and senders. If I were to redo it I'd run the fuel injector wires through there as well. Take care with protecting this bundle from your crossover exhaust pipe, it gets darn hot in there. All other connections (starter, A/C, oil pressure, etc. are picked up as the bundle passes by.

After all was said and done, I realized I had made no provision for the temperature gauge sender. The LQ1 has a warning light switch in the head, but no sender for a gauge. I ended up mounting mine in the water pump and wiring it to it's position in the C500, but that's not a good location. It gives you a reading of the coolant at its lowest temperature, not its highest as it comes out of the motor.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
First order of business....Ditch the cats
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Cool and congrats. Did you have to install the AIR stuff as well as I see it's a stick shift.

Yes, you can see it in the first photo, running between the back of the motor and the trunk. I was lucky enough to find two California 5-speed front manifolds and the plumbing to hook it all together. The pump itself is an EBay unit off a Chevy Tahoe. The referee took note it was there but never questioned it or checked if it functioned.

As far as the other comments, I enjoyed doing a clean, legal install. If you don't, then stay where you are.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 01-02-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Did the rep plug into your system the check for codes? Or did he simply use the sniffer?
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Used to live in California, Loved the area, loved the amazing beauty of the mountains and the ocean, wouldn't take a million dollars to go back there....... The government and regulations are off the charts ridiculous and you basically cannot do anything without getting an inspection or a permit.... forget it.... peace

Pete
PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Did the rep plug into your system the check for codes? Or did he simply use the sniffer?

Sure, he plugged in. I didn't realize I had a bunch of stored codes from when I had one of the computer plugs work loose early on. I cleared them and was good to go.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 12-30-2010).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

sspeedstreet

2306 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Used to live in California, Loved the area, loved the amazing beauty of the mountains and the ocean, wouldn't take a million dollars to go back there....... The government and regulations are off the charts ridiculous and you basically cannot do anything without getting an inspection or a permit.... forget it.... peace

Pete

I disagree, but to each his own.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

Sure, he plugged in. I didn't realize I had a bunch of stored codes from when I had one of the computer plus work loose early on. I cleared them and was good to go.

I'm assuming it was the 3.4's computer prom, right?
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

As far as the other comments, I enjoyed doing a clean, legal install. If you don't, then stay where you are.

So because you have to jump through hoops to do something that we can do whenever we want with no problems makes you better?

I am not breaking any laws if I put whatever engine with whatever transmission in my Fiero. I don't have to have permission from anyone to drive it because of a certain engine combo, and I never will, there is talk of doing away with our already minor inspection as it is.

California is not the center of the world man, you guys are treated like prisoners and don't even realize how bad you got it, just because the Warden says you got it good, does not mean you do. Nice looking car though.

Brad
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

I'm assuming it was the 3.4's computer prom, right?

Yes, a BCFA 5-speed prom.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

sspeedstreet

2306 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by twofatguys:

So because you have to jump through hoops to do something that we can do whenever we want with no problems makes you better?

I am not breaking any laws if I put whatever engine with whatever transmission in my Fiero. I don't have to have permission from anyone to drive it because of a certain engine combo, and I never will, there is talk of doing away with our already minor inspection as it is.

California is not the center of the world man, you guys are treated like prisoners and don't even realize how bad you got it, just because the Warden says you got it good, does not mean you do. Nice looking car though.

Brad

Well, Brad, this not a political discussion. If you have such a problem with California and it laws, stay the hell out. Fine by me. That said, this is not a thread you have anything to add to.

Neil

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Well, Brad, this not a political discussion. If you have such a problem with California and it laws, stay the hell out. Fine by me. That said, this is not a thread you have anything to add to.

Neil

Why are you so angry? I have paid the state of california almost 4k in fines. I still owe them a little over a grand. Why? Because I wanted a boosted volvo and a boosted fiero. I had CHP go through and write ticket after ticket on the fiero for not having CARB parts. I also got nailed to the wall in my cummins for having water/meth. Hell, they even got me for having a lowered car. I had to go to court many times over small crap that seems to have nothing to do with actual emissions. After a while I just quit caring on what was legal and what was not. No more going to get the car BARED or getting smog. I am happy for the people who have the money to get a legal swap done. Lets face it....it is not cheap to get a legal swap up and running in california. Well, its almost time for work. Im gonna go hop in the 85 with a 3.1 no cat and a loud exhaust and NOT get pulled over by chp over it. You have fun in cali.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
I guess I've become oversensitive to the knee-jerk bashing of California whenever it's mentioned on this forum. The fact is, no-one has the self-proclaimed right to disregard the law unless you're willing to accept the consequences.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Yes, a BCFA 5-speed prom.

Thanks for the info. I too have a Fiero N* that I hope to have CARB approve. Oh yeah, how did it pass the 5-speed test? Did the 3.4 original come with auto and 5-speed too?

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Congrats. May it pass smog every 2 years in peace

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 12-30-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the info. I too have a Fiero N* that I hope to have CARB approve. Oh yeah, how did it pass the 5-speed test? Did the 3.4 original come with auto and 5-speed too?

I chose the LQ1 because it was delivered to California 1991-1993 with a 5-speed. I had planned to do the Short* till I found out I couldn't do the manual. I'm not a small block fan, but I guess that new CARB legal crate motor from GM with a manual would be something to consider.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

A referee? That sounds crazy. What are you living in a dictatorship there?

Yup

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I gotta tell you, when I got my CARB door sticker, it was the prettiest "decal" I had ever seen... yours is the second prettist. CONGRATS!!!

Regards,

David

------------------
Metallic Blue/Silver 1987 Fiero GT - 2006 3800 Series III Drive by Wire; Ported & Polished by TrippleEdge; 1.7 Yella Terra Full Roller Rockers; VS Cam; Tuning by Darth; WCF CAI & 1 5/8 Stainless Headers, 3" Exhaust, Power Steering & Much More; MSD Coils & Wires; Porsche (Brembo) Calipers on 13" Viper Rotors; 18X8 TSW Indy Wheels.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Never mind, I missed it earlier in the thread.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 12-31-2010).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Nice install. I'm interested to know what kind of fuel mileage that ride gets?

I am not a fan of government regulation but am happy to see someone get through all the red tape and be happy with the results.

Ron
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Edited to add: THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT MY BUILDING A CALIFORNIA SMOG LEGAL 3.4 DOHC 5-SPEED 1988 FIERO.
Just short of six years since I started the swap, it made it through the CARB referee. I can't speak about all of them, but the tech here was very knowledgeable about even our somewhat obscure cars. Just for future reference for anyone going through the process, it seemed the two things most examined during the visual were the intake manifold and the air cleaner. I had applied some raised lettering to the manifold (a very clean job if I say so myself) and he questioned me about it being "aftermarket". No problem after I explained how I did it myself. However, I was using the stock Fiero air cleaner and that didn't pass. I had to come back with a Lumina unit wired in place and then I was good to go.

I say he was knowledgeable because he did raise the car and inspected underneath with a flashlight. At the end when he was explaining about the air cleaner he said "I see you have a rear exhaust manifold mounted upside down on the front of the motor". Man, with all A/C hoses, wiring, coolant hose and heat blanket in there, he couldn't have seen much of it to recognize that.

After it passed he was very complimentary of the car. He said the LQ1 looked like a perfect match to the car.

Anyway, it's done and I can finish buttoning it all up. Thank you to everyone here on the forum for all the help when I needed it. You've been great!

Next: Finish hooking up the Corvette power steering install.

Just found this, congrats!, and thank you for sharing!
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Brad

If you live in the U.S. of A., then there are federal laws, in effect , stating what you can and cannot do, regarding engine swapping, to any '68-up car. They may not be actively enforced in all parts of this nation, at this time, but Obama IS working on that.
The laws are not well-thought-out, and are somewhat counter-productive in some aspects, but if you can't afford to do a legal swap, you shouldn't do any swap. Even the bad laws we have now still allow the best engines into any vehicle. There's nothing ever built that can't legally receive some version or other of the LSx engine family.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Isolde!

An engine swap does take a lot of time and money. Mine took six years! I never once walked away from it or "took a break". I just never spent more than an hour at a time at it before I needed something I didn't have or a part previously ordered was wrong or a custom part I'd made was 1/64" too thick. Of course, stretching it out like this makes it more affordable over time, but I never considered it would take this long when I started.

As far as gas mileage, I haven't checked yet. No point when I spend most of the time with my foot down on my new toy.. This weekend my wife and I are driving it to Santa Barbara (150 miles round trip). I'll post that mileage next week. This is a bone stock install with a 0 mile crate motor, so this will be a good baseline for the swap

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 12-31-2010).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
nice swap!
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

nice swap!

Thank you.
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

However, I was using the stock Fiero air cleaner and that didn't pass. I had to come back with a Lumina unit wired in place and then I was good to go.

Specifically, why did he make you do this ? Doesn't seem to make sense.

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT MY BUILDING A CALIFORNIA SMOG LEGAL 3.4 DOHC 5-SPEED 1988 FIERO. IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, THIS TECHNICAL DISCUSSION PROBABLY WILL BE OF NO INTEREST TO YOU. IT IS NOT A PLACE TO VENT YOUR DISLIKE OF ALL THINGS CALIFORNIA. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION.

This thread MIGHT be a nice Technical Reference if people pay attention to this.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Specifically, why did he make you do this ? Doesn't seem to make sense.

I have no idea. It's in the regs for engine changes, but I don't see why any enclosed filter canister wouldn't work.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to split hairs, but really need to know - so the regs specifically say you need to use the air filter canister that came with the original engine ?

Also, i would really appreciate if you could post a link that has this stuff listed (i'm making a list)

Thanks.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I'm not trying to split hairs, but really need to know - so the regs specifically say you need to use the air filter canister that came with the original engine ?

Also, i would really appreciate if you could post a link that has this stuff listed (i'm making a list)

Thanks.

No, you do not need the factory air box that came with the car. The way to get the intake done is buy one of the CARB legal intake tubes and cut it down. Then you are done. And if you SEARCHED there is plenty of info. Or talk to Chris West as he is the master in cali legal swaps.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
It's a good question. I'm going to call the referee on Monday and ask for the reg.

Related . . . There's nothing I like about the Fiero air cleaner. It looks industrial and worst of all it catches water from the vent and rusts. I actually prefer the W-body cleaner, but there's no way it fits in there without making a custom base for it.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Can you post some better pics of the raised lettering on the intake? It looks cool and I would be interested in knowing what all you did to achieve the look.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

It's a good question. I'm going to call the referee on Monday and ask for the reg.

I'm really curious as to what he'll tell you. Look at the build thread that RickaddyGT did, especially page 4. There are pics of his car and a West Coast Fiero car and it doesn't look like either of them used the air cleaner from the original car (but it's hard to tell for sure).

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000114-4.html

There's nothing I like about the Fiero air cleaner. It looks industrial and worst of all it catches water from the vent and rusts. I actually prefer the W-body cleaner, but there's no way it fits in there without making a custom base for it.

Yep, it's almost impossible to mount anything in there EXCEPT the stock fiero air canister.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 01-02-2011).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Very cool Neil -

I know you've been working for quite some time on it and that tag really says alot about the install quality and attention to detail. I've been w/ Rick to the ref's and they really do go over damn near every nut and bolt.

Congrats buddy...

--Allen

------------------
Is this where I insert something witty?

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Allen. Seems like a lifetime ago you took me on a junkyard run to Fresno!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock