warning about the side view mirrors by scott0999
Started on: 12-26-2010 08:35 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: maryjane on 12-28-2010 10:11 PM
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
before I start this, I dont need to hear any "why didnt you look where you were going" type crap. this was an obvious accident. and I'm posting this in hopes it wont happen to anyone else

so with that said,

right now I have a big cut right above my eye thats all the way through the skin. hit my forehead right on the corner of the side view mirror, apparently pretty hard

if your working under the car you might want to wrap a towel or something soft over the side view mirror. its rather sharp. or, "just" watch where your going - sigh

enough said

[This message has been edited by scott0999 (edited 12-26-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
D'oh! That sounds like it smarts .
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
never even thought of that...thanks for the tip...no pun intended.
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I didn't even think it was bleeding at first. just figured it would be a bad bruise. but ya, its all the way through. I hope it heals decent

[This message has been edited by scott0999 (edited 12-26-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
WE NEED PICS!!!!!!!!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Its still nothing like hitting your head on the door... my 84 is classic for this and the decklid falling on my head.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-26-2010).]

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I got staples in the top of my head after the wind blew the decklid down while I was digging through the trunk. Dang trunk latch is sharp!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel rained on.
A few years ago, I dollied my Fiero to Ed's to have some work done on it.
When I was getting ready to unload it I bent down, grabbed the handle on the ramp and walked toward the front of the car (which had been dollied backwards) in order to extend the ramp. Walked right into the side mirror. Gave myself a nice cut in the middle of my forehead, and a huge headache.
Stupid human tricks.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i somehow smacked my face on the corner top part of the window while getting into my fiero. window was rolled all the way up. make sure you open your door wide enough to get in properly :P

i had the decklid fall on me more then once while tinkering with the engine. its like a big sail on windy days. if you park facing with the wind. the decklid stays open better and less likely to fall on you i figured that out during high winds while trying to work on the car.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
I can relate to your doing this. I've found for me it's best to wear a ball cap when working on the car (it's too easy to just stand up without thinking about it) , when doing projects around the house (God knows how many times I've move the step ladder with the hammer sitting on the top of it). A hat at least softens the blow and may save you from a nasty cut. But being careful is the best policy.

Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

PFF
System Bot
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
truck hitches suck when you have them on a lift dont know how many times ive bounced my head off of them, tires are a good one too right out of my sight range.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
I got one better..... I recently bought my first fiero and it came without the wing mounted. IT is a GT but I had to reinstall the wing. The darn metal springs that hold up the decklid were broken but I was so new to fieros I did not know it. I actually tightened the springs to make the decklid stay up with the new wing mounted. It KINDA holds it up since it is only using actually one of the springs but I was not aware of that , I just figured it was fatigued from years of use and I had planned on getting new ones or installing gas springs at some point. ANYWAYS, I had some ignition problems with the car recently and when the car is in the garage and level the decklid stays up fine, but when it is parked in my semi sloped driveway it will not. WELL I found that out the hard way when I took it for a test drive only to find out it was still not running right. I got it back home and parked in the drive as my tools were all over the garage floor. Got out, lifted the decklid stuck my fat head in there and leaned over to inspect the disty and WHAM!!! Felt like a tyson punch and I am sure I looked pretty stupid for any onlookers getting eaten by my fiero in broad daylight. I think I even kinda smashed my nose on the intake manifold from it. I dunno what that lid weighs but it sure felt like a ton of bricks falling on my melon. As an aside, if anyone has a set of good lift springs handy I could sure use em' Peace....

Pete

Jim_Martin29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
Those side rear-view mirrors are dangerous.

My garage is kind of tight on space and when I'm working on the Fiero and walk from the back of the car to the front of the garage where the work bench is I have a bad habit of running into the mirror with my leg, hard. It has left huge, ugly bruises on my thigh. With a white car and black mirrors they just disappear. I think I might paint them white.

Now, to avoid this problem, I place a marker (I use a hand-held ground compactor or tamper )with a brightly colored rag on top on ground right next to the mirror. I have not hit it since I started doing this.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

[This message has been edited by Jim_Martin29 (edited 12-27-2010).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

Those side rear-view mirrors are dangerous.

My garage is kind of tight on space and when I'm working on the Fiero and walk from the back of the car to the front of the garage where the work bench is I have a bad habit of running into the mirror with my leg, hard. It has left huge, ugly bruises on my thigh. With a white car and black mirrors they just disappear. I think I might paint them white.

Now this I can totally relate to! I just did it yesterday... To make matters worse, the mirror is just at the right height to hit where my keys are in my pocket. It crams my keys into my thigh leaving a nasty bruise . Hurts like heck. This is the second time I did it this year...

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-27-2010).]

scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
does anyone make folding mirrors for the fiero?

[This message has been edited by scott0999 (edited 12-28-2010).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Bam! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074449.html Mirrors Galore. I think they look nicer and probably cheaper than aftermarket ones.
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I must say I really like this

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
That does look good. Maybe you could find one on eBay for cheap and fit it on your Fiero.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
So Scott--are you saying you had a poorly engineered vision center with a blind spot and couldn't see your mirror?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock