Started on: 12-13-2010 04:08 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: jeep107 on 12-26-2010 02:48 AM
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
So I am browsing through Craigslist this morning for no good reason other than to see what's out there, when I spy a Formula for $600. Then I look at where it is, only 10 miles away!!! So I hop in Steph's Fiero and head down the road. Well, let's just say I traded one of my fun toys for the car....my Polaris Scrambler 400 ATV. I will miss her, but working on this new project will help me think about it a little less. The good thing is, most of the parts I saw that the car needs, I have already. So without further adieu, here is my new Formula:

POSITIVES:

- 5-speed Getrag
- 77K miles
- Dash is in excellent condition with no busted corners or cracks on top
- Interior door panels in good shape
- Power windows
- Power door locks
- A/C (don't know if it works)
- Rear defroster

NEGATIVES:

- Trunk lock cylinder broken, will need replaced
- Ignition lock cylinder housing broken on column, entire lock cylinder will fall out on your lap in off position, needs new column
- Driver front fender will need replaced, was repaired with bondo
- Driver seat torn in usual bolster areas
- Starts but shuts off right away
- Dead battery

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Not bad andy.... not bad... about time you manned up and got a 5 speed.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
You mean that Andrew has been two footing it the whole time? Glad he got his man pedal in a Fiero then.

Car looks worth the price. Good luck with her. So, what are the plans? Or does the Wife not know about your latest acquisition?
FallenShadow 2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FallenShadow 2m4Send a Private Message to FallenShadow 2m4Direct Link to This Post
seams like a good find.. how the interior?

------------------
--FallenShadow
84 SE 4 speed Iron Duke

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Well, as for the General, she says there are to be NO MORE TOYS for the foreseeable future. And I haven't been two-footing it this whole time. True, my GT is an auto, but out of the four, it's the only one. I drive my wife's Fiero with an Isuzu all the time. I know what I'm doing with that Man Pedal. As for the interior, the dash is mint, the driver seat has the usual bolster wear, and the shift surround is separating. It will be very easy to clean this bad boy up, I think.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Andy you just made my christmas **** -list. Jk jk, I'm happy for ya, good find!
jreigner

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
i saw that on CL- the guy said he was gonna crush it locally for 450$ if it didn't sell, i asked him to educate himself about what he had on hand. 600$ definitely a good price. what is the deal with the start-up -shutoff thing? the guy didn't seem to know what was up with that
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jreigner:

i saw that on CL- the guy said he was gonna crush it locally for 450$ if it didn't sell, i asked him to educate himself about what he had on hand. 600$ definitely a good price. what is the deal with the start-up -shutoff thing? the guy didn't seem to know what was up with that

Haven't looked into it much yet. Right now it's colder than a witch's tit outside, and the wind makes me think it's Chicago. I'm assuming that it's running off the cold start injector only, but we'll see. Maybe I will get lucky and it will just be burned out injector fuses.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Andy,

Congrats & welcome to the 4-Fiero Club. (Of coarse all of mine run.) I can only assume you couldn't wait any longer for me to sell my white Formula to you. j/k Are you going to name it "Petey 2" ?

What's up with the missing horn paddle on the steering wheel?

Jeff
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTGeff:

Andy,

Congrats & welcome to the 4-Fiero Club. (Of coarse all of mine run.) I can only assume you couldn't wait any longer for me to sell my white Formula to you. j/k Are you going to name it "Petey 2" ?

Jeff

LOL. I actually texted you to tell you I got Petey's clone. And yes, I have already affectionately named the car "Petey 2". I can only assume since both horn buttons are gone, and the fact that I found a gay aftermarkey horn in the front compartment, that the oversize momentary button on the gauge surround is a horn button.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 12-13-2010).]

Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
You guy and your cheap 88s you all suck bah humbug mean while I look at an 84 for two Gs and try to convince myself it's not worth it. you suck jk nice save wish I had your luck... And funding. Good score

------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Andy give me a call, I have an early xmas present for you and I need your address ;-)

317- two three eight- zero six five five
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Andy, there is one thing I did not see you comment on, and that is rust. How is the frame/trunk corners/cradle etc?
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTGeff:

Jeff

haha, that's for racing driving. Can't have a horn paddle getting in the way of your right hand when you are bringing it back to the wheel after shifting.

Yeah, the previous owner broke it off, I'm not too concerned about replacing mine.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

haha, that's for racing driving. Can't have a horn paddle getting in the way of your right hand when you are bringing it back to the wheel after shifting.

Yeah, the previous owner broke it off, I'm not too concerned about replacing mine.

GT steering wheel FTW

jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2010 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
You suck at life. :P

Honestly though, all joking aside, NICE FIND MAN!
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Nice find! Nothing wrong with getting more "toys"! I did notice in your picture of the transaxle that the dipstick for the tranny is missing. It would be bad if trash got down in that open hole and destroyed your Getrag..........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1985 Porsche 944
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
Oh so thats why my horn does not work, haha I just figured that out. Merry Xmas

------------------
I'm 15, and just bought my baby. An '85 GT

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
So that's what you're getting me for Christmas!

Good find, I'm green with envy now...
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Let me ask you, have you ever performed an emergency coolant change in 20-something degree temps outside? I did tonight, and let me tell you, it blows. I got a call today from my son telling me that it was leaking antifreeze all over the driveway. Turns out the coolant was pushing into the recovery tank and making it overflow. This is a sign of freezing up, and scared the crapola out of me. I get home and test the coolant with my tester, it tested to only 10 degrees! Seems the braindead previous owner of this car decided mostly water was good for it. So out comes the plugs on the coolant tubes and the draining begins. While draining the passenger side tube, I notice this wonderful gem:

In case you can't tell, that's a nicely crushed tube. Unfortunately, the car doesn't run, so I had to rely on cranking the engine to circulate some of the coolant.

After this fiasco, I decide to look into why it won't start. Turn the key on, I hear no fuel pump prime. So I put 12+ to terminal G of the ALDL, and no fuel pump noise either. So it looks as though I'm possibly in need of a pump. Like I haven't gotten to be a pro at replacing those. So anyway, here's some of the crap I'm finding as I start looking into this car:

First, a nice "cold air intake" POS. This will be getting put back to stock, and then I will trash this thing:

Then I look at the wonderful exhaust setup the PO put on. A real custom job:

So begins the project. I am still in love with the car, even though I've never driven Petey II (The name of the car now).
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Look at that exhaust system! Thats the greatest! I think im gonna lmao @ the exhaust job! What kind of muffler is on it? It appears to possibly maybe be a single chamber flowmaster?

If you need to replace that coolant tube, there should be one on my parts car if you need it - lmk

You might want to consider putting that cold air intake on ebay - or in the mall - im sure there are alot of people would be very happy to see it under their decklid!

Car looks great! I really like the way those wheels look (black) on the white car!
Chris
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Nice find Andy, glad you finally got a Man Pedal. Once you learn to use it you'll start to understand life's little pleasures.

Ron
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Got this picture the other day sitting in the driveway. This car has already tested my patience with the overflowing overflow tank. I finally got that to stop leaking with a radiator cap and thermo cap change. Seems the old rusted radiator cap had given up the ghost. I also got to hear the car run very briefly tonight. Turns out the reason the fuel pump was not priming is that the oil pressure sender and the harness were very corroded. So much so that an entire pin of the sender and terminal of the harness had become nothing more than green dust. But never fear, a new sender is on its way, and I believe I have a replacement harness already.

Also gone is the abomination of a switch that was on the gauge pod. I still have yet to figure out what it went to, but it was not the trunk release. I have also switched out the Auto Zone Special shift knob for a factory gray knob. And to top it all off, I filled the radio void with a factory unit for now, and it works well. I really wish it was warm so I could take care of this exhaust.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Yo hold onto the piping for that intake.... The imsa needs a temporary fix .... im serious to.
cypres

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypresSend a Private Message to cypresDirect Link to This Post
In the nicest way possible. Im glad you got this car hulki instead of me. I looked at it a week before buying my green 86 from pk. Back then "it ran great" but he couldnt start it. I passed right away. I think he was still asking a bill then. Regardless nice to see your collection growing. I bought a monte with a bad trans so my swap is underway. Once it gets warm we need to have that Hanover meet.

Cyp
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Yo hold onto the piping for that intake.... The imsa needs a temporary fix .... im serious to.

You might be out of luck on that 'cold air intake'. I was planning to swap it out with the stock setup on my GT and put the stock setup in Petey.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Well, while I am waiting for shipment #1 from TFS, I figured now was a good time to start doing some restoration on the interior. So I decided to start tackling the shift surround and pod. The shift boot was pulling away from the trim surround, and the ashtray doors were faded and spotted very badly. And the shift pod upholstery was separating from its skeleton, so it needed tending to as well.

So here's the parts I started with:

And here's the tools of the trade for today's project:

First, I took the ashtray doors off the surround, and washed both the surround and the doors. I then used some Rustoleum Plastic Paint and shot a light coat of black to make them look like new again. I had a spare surround stashed that had a good shift boot to it, so I removed it, cleaned it up, and installed it on my '88 surround. This is what the doors looked like before:

And how the whole surround turned out in the end:

Then I moved on to the pod. I am using Gorilla Glue to reattach the vinyl back to the plastic, as the stuff is amazing. I applied a thin coat of glue inside each separated side, then clamped it together for an hour:

I will post pictures of the completed pod when it is finished.

jeep107

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeep107Send a Private Message to jeep107Direct Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF: This car has already tested my patience with the overflowing overflow tank.

Yeah but isnt that what they are supposed to do.....sounds like yours is working fine!!

Seriously though, looks like you have a few things to iron out on the car but I have to say it looks like it has the potential to be a pretty fine car when your done, keep up the good work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock