School project by Alex B
Started on: 12-10-2010 09:05 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 86FieroSEv6 on 12-12-2010 09:38 AM
Alex B

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex BSend a Private Message to Alex BDirect Link to This Post
I need to do a project next semester for school, and i need some ideas/ opinions for it. The project i did this semester was a Pressure former (like a vacuum former except with air pressure), i am hoping i will be able to put this to good use. (it can form up to 20x20 inches).

But anyways for this next semester i was thinking of doing something on my Fiero. i was thinking of putting electric adjustable suspension ( i have koni suspension) so it will be easy to adjust the rears with a stepper motor, and i could set up different positions, using a micro controller.

And the other thing i was thinking of was making a steering wheel (possible carbon fiber) that will have a LED rev counter, gear position, and possibly audio controls. Now the hardest part of this i think will be the audio controls, because i don't know if i will be able to tap into the controls for the radio. i may have to take it apart so i can use the quadrature encoder (volume knob) and change it to work with a push button mounted on the steering wheel.

So those are the main ideas i have. i also only have 15 weeks to finish it.

Has anyone done anything like this? and ideas if it can work at all? if i get these working, would anyone want this for their car?

I'm still brain storming, my class only start at the end of January, so i got some time. Any opinions would be great.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86FieroSEv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
As far as steering wheel mounted controls, you will end up having to use a different upper column to allow for a spiral cable assembly with enough circuits to allow for your design. The stock column only has one slip ring for the horn circuit. To make for a really trick install using the stock equipment you might consider a wireless setup using bluetooth to manage your remote controller or some other sort of RF device. If you're concerned about the difficulty level considering your time constraints I would stick with the suspension control idea.
Alex B

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex BSend a Private Message to Alex BDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6:

As far as steering wheel mounted controls, you will end up having to use a different upper column to allow for a spiral cable assembly with enough circuits to allow for your design. The stock column only has one slip ring for the horn circuit. To make for a really trick install using the stock equipment you might consider a wireless setup using bluetooth to manage your remote controller or some other sort of RF device. If you're concerned about the difficulty level considering your time constraints I would stick with the suspension control idea.

How much work would it be to change the upper column? (would i have to get one from another car) or could i run a wire through the column? RF is a nice idea, but i'm not sure how difficult it would be to learn about RF, because it would solve a few issues, and be useful later on. (or bluetooth, but i have no idea how i would get that to work). Or would i be able to just change the slip ring for one with more contacts?

The problem with doing the suspension control, is that it might not be considered enough work for a project (about 60 hours of work). so are there any other ideas people have had, to modernize a Fiero?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Alex B (edited 12-11-2010).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
3800sc in a Fiero.
86FieroSEv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Sorry 'dawg . . I don't think of 3800SC as all that modern anymore. As for having enough circuits, you could go with the upper column from a Bonneville SSE with the optional "star trek" steering wheel, it had like a gazillion switches on it. If you don't want to run with that wheel and were looking to customize further, try a round column style from an airbag model GM, it should have enough circuit paths for your project. Of course it will need to be from a tilt column model.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I know that the sc3800 is a whole lot more modern than the stock engine. Adding and integrating a modern day BCM will sure make the fiero seem more modern.

------------------

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like one he!! of a challange.... but who knows ....My first issue with the adjustable rear suspension using Koni coil-overs is .... do you know how much power you will need in order to turn the rings once the weight of the car restes on them? To wind down .. no problem but to wind up that is where you will have issues.. I tried to adjust mine by hand while my fiero was on the ground .... couldn't even turn the ring one centimeter...... anyway good luck with that project... keep us posted add pics they are of great value here...

Danyel

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Alex B

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex BSend a Private Message to Alex BDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Sounds like one he!! of a challange.... but who knows ....My first issue with the adjustable rear suspension using Koni coil-overs is .... do you know how much power you will need in order to turn the rings once the weight of the car restes on them? To wind down .. no problem but to wind up that is where you will have issues.. I tried to adjust mine by hand while my fiero was on the ground .... couldn't even turn the ring one centimeter...... anyway good luck with that project... keep us posted add pics they are of great value here...

Danyel

The koni's i have, use the knob to change stiffness, so it doesn't take much effort. Though i'm not sure how much torque i will need when i'm not using the knob.

And as far as the 3800 SC, i have been debating that for a while, but when i bought the car the engine only had 30000 KM on it, so i don't really want to change it just yet... maybe next winter. That's also the other problem winter here in Quebec doesn't give me lots of room to swap an engine.

Alex
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2010 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
That's allot of effort for little benefit. Swap your engine. You'll be happier. Make your own mounts while you're at it so you save money and feel super duper special.

And if you want to go up and down at will install hydraulics.

[This message has been edited by jasonfox (edited 12-12-2010).]

86FieroSEv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
The OP is not talking about ride height, he's referring to shock valving control much like Cadillac's or Toyota's computer controlled suspension system wherein the compression and rebound rates are being controlled. To truly "modernize" it would be a hoot to adapt the magnetic fluid dampers and controller from Cadillac for a truly dynamic system.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock