Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Dont tell ME they dont catch on fire! (Part 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Dont tell ME they dont catch on fire! (Part 2) by joesfiero
Started on: 12-07-2010 11:34 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Brastic on 12-18-2010 01:25 AM
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Part 2 of the junkyard picture story,part 1 is here.This time we have a factory blue 87 GT that appeared to be in decent shape at one time. Unfortunately for the car and the PO it looks like a fire started in the center console somewhere. This one donated some parts to my car so it shall live on in a way. I got the front inner fenderwells, 2nd gen headlight motor setup, drivers mirror and sunroof wind deflector.

Unfortunately the taillights looked like they had been smashed by a junkyard browser (bastards!) as well as the quarter windows.

Now for the damage, looks like it was contained pretty quickly, didnt burn up the whole car so that was a bonus.

Thats it, 2 great cars that shall go on to the crusher sooner or later. Wish I had the time and space to save either or both of them.

-Joe

------------------

My 3800sc Build Thread
2007 G6
2003 Silverado Quadrasteer
1985 Fiero notchie 3800sc
ported in&out Gen3 N* TB LQ4 MAF
True dual exhaust (quiet) Spec stage 3+
3.4 MPS DHP powrtuner

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 12-08-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dudewithoutfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
where is this yard at? been looking for more u-pulls in swfl
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if it's just me or not, but that picture of the interior gives me the creeps. Pretty freaky. That is the most un-usual place for a fire to start, no clue how that could have happened. It's not the blower motor or resistor, because its too far away, so im stumped.

EDIT: Short in window/mirror switches maybe?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-08-2010).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
...Short in window/mirror switches maybe?

Maybe something got placed on the console and held the lighter in.
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Or since the lighter jack stays on without the key, possibly a 12v jack accessory failure resulting in fire?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Or maybe some hack wiring job for stereo system or something else. You should grab that upper intake plenum, should be the engraved type.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
That fire doesn't look that bad, certainly repairable. I don;t think I'd have junked it if that was all that was wrong with it.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
And the wheels too... If they're straight, they could be worth something.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Back in 1997 my son's Fiero was stolen. The car was found abandoned a few days later on the side of the road. They had to abandon it because it had caught fire under the dash from their hot wiring it. So sometimes the fires are not the car's fault.

Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it was related to a leaf fire in the heater duct? BTW: It's that time of year to checkout and clean those.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
mouse nest in the defroster resistior area.
PFF
System Bot
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
shame to see that car junked it wouldn't take alot to get her back into shape
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to put out that cigarette and closed the ash tray door. Oops...

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-08-2010).]

FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

Back in 1997 my son's Fiero was stolen. The car was found abandoned a few days later on the side of the road. They had to abandon it because it had caught fire under the dash from their hot wiring it. So sometimes the fires are not the car's fault.

Larry

Where in Buffalo was the car stolen?
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it starting the the cigar lighter area. My guess, someone tried to get the cigar lighter working, but it kept blowing fuses, so they got fed up and put a piece of wire in place of the fuse, the short started a fire, and THAT happened. The center console trim pieces and bubbling vinyl on the gauge pod didn't catch fire, they melted from the heat of flames nearby. Where the center console meets the shifter console is where whatever it was was burning.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

I wonder if it was related to a leaf fire in the heater duct? BTW: It's that time of year to checkout and clean those.

Nah, looking at the picture for a few minutes..... It most likely started where the window/mirror switches / Cig lighter are located (Not there are no ashes in any other areas). There is some heavy amp wires in that area, especially if someone bypassed a fuse or something.

There are no burned areas on the column, steering wheel and aux gauge cluster facing, just damage from the heat.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FirstDrCar:

Where in Buffalo was the car stolen?

It was stolen from the pool parking lot on Sheridan Dr directly across from the Town of Tonawanda police station. It was found in south Buffalo.
86FieroSEv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Spilling liquid into the switches can short them pretty handily as well. Fieros were never known for being too coffee friendly . . . hehehe.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
My bet is a coin in the cig lighter.
elitopr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

thats true!!!!!

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
Hope the driver and passenger got out okay!
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

and thats why i am going to relocate mine. and add two more on the passenger side under the dash or somewhere convenient
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

It was stolen from the pool parking lot on Sheridan Dr directly across from the Town of Tonawanda police station. It was found in south Buffalo.

That is close to my house! lol
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Looks like there are some nice factory blue panels left on there!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6:

Spilling liquid into the switches can short them pretty handily as well. Fieros were never known for being too coffee friendly . . . hehehe.

Thats why they don't have cup holders

Wasn't there a TSB about the cig lightbulb starting fires?
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ManMadeChickens:

Or since the lighter jack stays on without the key, possibly a 12v jack accessory failure resulting in fire?

Well at least the fuel tank is not in that area...oh wait...nevermind.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
The little bulbs all in that area get really hot. my consoles all have shown the heat.
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
I went back to the yard yesterday, the car was still there and pretty untouched from last time.

I found another sunroof wind deflector and snagged it then I grabbed a couple small bolts and stuff for the headlight buckets. While I was in the front end I noticed the car had a brand new radiator so I snagged that too. Hopefully some more people can use parts off of it before they all go to the crusher.

-Joe

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 12-14-2010).]

Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
How are the tail lights, and what do they want for them?
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Sure looks like the power window control started it or the ashtry. After seeing that i think i'll replace my ashtray and shifter #70 bulbs with LED's ...they don't get as hot do they?

the nose looks pretty good. whatever happened to that mirror in the other death thread?
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Tail lights have been bashed in presumably by some boneyard wandering bonehead or worker. The nose does seem in good shape, I didnt inspect much for cracks though.

The mirror on that IMSA was no way a real Ferrari mirror. I looked at it real good and it is cheap flimsy junk, most likely an aftermarket piece.

-Joe
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I'm willing to bet the guy had something plugged in which caught fire...

It's a shame... that front nose is absolutely perfect and completely unwarped.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
The last 2 88 GTs I saw at the junk yard were both engine bay burn victims. What angered me the most is that both cars had brand new front radiator caps and guess what? Both were non sealed. It kills me to know that someone took known bad advice from an auto parts store and it caused them to loose their car. Sorry, my rant is over.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock