Started on: 12-07-2010 07:18 AM
Replies: 34
Last post by: RickN on 12-10-2010 03:05 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a block heater in their Fiero? Was it a factory option?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Yes, and yes.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't a dealer option? Didn't the dealer install it? Yes, it came from the factory, but I think the dealer may have installed it before delivery. ??
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoDirect Link to This Post
Mine has one.

I'll have to check the RPO sheet to see if it was a factory option, or Dealer installed.

It's the least used option on my car however.
If it's cold enough to need a block heater, the Fiero doesn't move.
That's what the Blazer is for.

Block heater in the Blazer never seemed to work in the 7 years I've had it.
Starts in -38 C weather, no problem.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
The RPO code is K05
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
It was a factory orderable option. I have never seen one down here in Texas. Where does it mount on the engine?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
MIne is sitting right on the rear firewall or trunk wall. If you were looking from the rear of the car it would be on the left side (driversside) of the wall. Never been used. I'll check the RPO K05 when I get home.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

I have never seen one down here in Texas.

I'm guessing you've never seen a rear defroster or winter wipers either!
kkavmann69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kkavmann69Send a Private Message to kkavmann69Direct Link to This Post
I never heard of them. Hahahahahaha j/k

Edit to add: A picture would be nice

[This message has been edited by kkavmann69 (edited 12-07-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'm guessing you've never seen a rear defroster or winter wipers either!

Actually my last 88 GT had the rear defroster. Never had to use it, but I did turn it on from time to time to see the switch light up.
What are these "winter wipers" you speak of????

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 12-08-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Actually my last 88 GT had the rear defroster. Never had to use it, but I did turn it on from time to time to see the switch light up.
What are these "winter wipers" you speak of????

oops double post

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 12-08-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
If it get's any colder in Florida I going to install one...no really I am...oh and heated seats to...this place is so freaken cold :0
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

If it get's any colder in Florida I going to install one...no really I am...oh and heated seats to...this place is so freaken cold :0

Haha. I was watching the news the other day after getting off the ski slopes here in new Hampshire the weather man was saying that talahasee was going to be around 23 degrees. I looked over at my digital thermometer and it said 28 degrees. I chuckled and thought to myself "ha let them keep it" . Just kidding but seldom do I see temps in Florida colder then new Hampshire.

One of my 84 s has the block heater. Never used it because both the cars and bikes hibernate. (wish I could too)

------------------
1984 Base Coupe Red Stock MY8
1984 SE Black Stock

2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniv. Stock

stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
Mine has a block heater. It looks like it was never used as it is coiled up neatly and tucked out of the way. I had the car for over two years before I even noticed it. I checked the RPO codes and I found it was factory installed. My Fieros first owner was from Montana.

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Well I have seen rear window defrosters and I have weard of winter wipers!!! I looked on my Indy and sure enough it has KO5 codes in the RPO list...an Indy with a factory block heater. Wonder how rare it is?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Mine has one, and rear defroster. Never used it because when I needed it, I never had anywhere to plug it in.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I dismantled 3 turbo sunbirds to complete my two 2.0 turbo engine swaps and found that all 3 of them had a block heater. I wonder if they just threw them on all of the turbo cars because of the 8.0:1 compression? So yes, my fiero has a block heater
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hmm, if my fiero is a miami car from 87, then why do i have a defroster?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure most Fieros shipped to Canada had one - except those to B.C. "banana belt"

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
Out of the dozen or so Fiero's I've had here in Quebec since 1999 only 1 had a block heater however they all had a rear window defroster!
W Scott

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
All my previous daily drivers have had block heaters; but interesting enough my Fiero doesn't. Most GM cars here in Canada over the past 20years seem to typically come with them unless it's a very basic model. My Fiero doesn't need a block heater as it is in heated storage all winter.

I've seen the occasion problem with block heaters too. One block heater in my Buick LeSabre decided to come loose while driving down the road one hot July day. The coolant drained out of the system in record time that day. I had another block heater stop working. I've seen a different one short out from salt residue too. In my opinion it seems they create just as many "problems" as solve (or even possibly more). But they are nice on a really cold morning.

All my cars have had rear window defrosters, including the Fiero. That's a must have for me.

The last two daily drivers have had heated seats. That's a great option, it helps make women happy too (...hot toasty buns!)

On the flip side my Fiero doesn't have A/C and it doesn't seem to be a problem either.

[This message has been edited by W Scott (edited 12-09-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
My '85GT had a factory block heater. John3:16 took that engine off my hands after my engine conversion.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 12-09-2010).]

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I've ever once had to use my rear window defroster. Coming from Manitoba, we get some pretty nasty frost, however, that window just never seems to freeze up. And if it did, the engine did away with whatever frost was there quicker than the defrost probably would've.

Looking back, (pun!) it almost seems like kind of a useless thing to have in a Fiero.
RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Valkyrie:

I don't think I've ever once had to use my rear window defroster. Coming from Manitoba, we get some pretty nasty frost, however, that window just never seems to freeze up. And if it did, the engine did away with whatever frost was there quicker than the defrost probably would've.

Looking back, (pun!) it almost seems like kind of a useless thing to have in a Fiero.

Aren't there some states that require that any car sold in that state have this option?

New York

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 12-10-2010).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
My car has one. It actually cut one of my ill-fated roadtrips short when the cord fell down and wore through the cv boot causing it to throw grease all over the left side of my engine bay. Btw the left shaft is the most difficult to replace.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Aren't there some states that require that any car sold in that state have this option?

Perhaps, but who knows what goes on down there in those crazy United States of yours.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
wait a tick.. Fieros had block heaters?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

wait a tick.. Fieros had block heaters?

Yup. From the P22 book...

Block heater and cord - item #s 19 and 20 on the Duke engine, and #s 80 and 81 on the V6.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
No sh*t i never knew that. whats the RPO code on them?

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-10-2010).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Neither of mine do, but my dad's car does. Won't work here though, wrong voltage. Would be a sweet option in the depths of winter but what business does a Fiero have driving around in the depths of winter anyway?

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Neither of mine do, but my dad's car does. Won't work here though, wrong voltage. Would be a sweet option in the depths of winter but what business does a Fiero have driving around in the depths of winter anyway?

Lol emptey parking lots..... I'll admit it i had a tad bit of fun with red fiero last year before it was painted.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Is this what those pipes up against the rear trunk are used for? Looks like a flange up against the trunk with 50mm of pipe just cut off on my car.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

No sh*t i never knew that. whats the RPO code on them?

See earlier post above...

Originally posted by Australian:

Is this what those pipes up against the rear trunk are used for? Looks like a flange up against the trunk with 50mm of pipe just cut off on my car.

No - the block heater bolts to the side of the block with the heater element inside the coolant jacket - the idea is, you plug it in and the element warms the coolant that is inside of the block. Newer cars use block heaters bolted to the outside of the block and warm it through contact with the surface.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-10-2010).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
My 85GT doesn't have one and according to the Service Parts Identification Label it didn't have one when it left the factory.

I lived for years in northern Ontario were it would get to -40 F and would sometimes stay at -30 or colder all month of January. The only time the car was not plugged in was when actually driving it, the parking lot at work and all the hotels in Thunderbay have receptacles to plug in your block heater.

A battery blanket was just as important as a block heater; no point having a warm engine if your battery is frozen or flat.
Being a wus I had in in-cab heater in my truck as wel, it was on a timer and came on at 5:00 AM so the cab was nice and warm allowing the doors to shut. Nothing like a brisk drive to work trying to hold a frozen door shut at -35F

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 12-10-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

No, the pipes that you refer to are cooling pipes for the alternator and coil that run from a fan located under the carpeting on the passenger side of the trunk. My '85 has this, my '88 does not.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock