tire size by Robert 2
Started on: 12-02-2010 10:31 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Isolde on 12-03-2010 10:05 AM
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
What does the " Z " stand for in 205- 50 ZR 15 ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
It's the speed rating. A Z rating means the tire is spec'd to handle a higher speed. I don't remember that well, and I'm sure on of the experts will chime in, but I think it has to do with the sidewall integrity under speed.
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:
What does the " Z " stand for in 205- 50 ZR 15 ?

FYI, courtesy of The Tire Rack.com

"A Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h "

Have a good evening.

~ Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2010 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys
Robert
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2010 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The tire rating is actually attributed to a large degree to Nazi Germany, after they built the Autobahn. Obviously at the time tire construction was nothing as it is now, but eventually manufacturers caught on that tire construction had to change to compensate for the excessive speed traveled along the Autobahn. The different ratings correlate largely with the 'safe' sustainable speed that a vehicle can travel. Obviously an old Beetle isn't going to hit triple digit speeds for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, so the corresponding tires were assigned. Whereas later on a Porsche 911 would have easily hit mid triple digits with relative ease.

Tires are tested and tested to ensure that they are safe up to the point of the speed they are rated at. Obviously one could travel faster than the speed rating on the tire, but does one want to take that risk? Additionally, the rating does not guarantee that you would not have a problem at slower speed with a high rated tire (factors such as wheel depreciation with usage which can affect balance could have detrimental effects on the stability of a tire).

You should utilize these ratings though when you can and take note of them. Nowadays, most all tire manufacturers for the aftermarket and even OEM construct tires of high rating, since tire construction is relatively streamlined. Although you as a consumer can still pay particular attention to ratings, as do you really need that tire rated for 146 mph on your Fiero, or something more realistic? That could potentially save money.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
It's not just speed. The tires with the supercar ratings tend to also be the tires with the best handling. Not just softer tread, but better belting reinforcement.
Most of the best tires will have a W rating. Y is for up to 186, and (Y) is for over 186.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock