Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Where can I buy 1988 poly swar bar mounts?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Where can I buy 1988 poly swar bar mounts? by Fiero2m8
Started on: 11-29-2010 01:54 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Fiero2m8 on 12-06-2010 09:00 PM
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
I read online that I must buy 1" mounts and drill out to 1-1/8" ???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kkavmann69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kkavmann69Send a Private Message to kkavmann69Direct Link to This Post
Did you try Rodney's or The Fiero Store?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Coupe or GT?

GT Bushings from Summit Racing:
Sway bar Bracket Poly ENS-9-5158G Greaseable 22mm rear GT
Sway bar Bracket Poly ENS-9-5163G Greaseable 28mm front GT
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Energy Suspension http://www.energysuspension...ay-bar-bushings.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Coupe or GT?

GT Bushings from Summit Racing:
Sway bar Bracket Poly ENS-9-5158G Greaseable 22mm rear GT
Sway bar Bracket Poly ENS-9-5163G Greaseable 28mm front GT

Thanks I'd better measure the front bar but 28mm sounds correct
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Yes I measured and I have the 28mm bar and the worn rubber bushings are 28mm opening.
Energy Suspension lists the 22mm but not the 28mm on the catalogs and sites I checked.
I will check Rodney Dickman - Fiero Store doesn't show them on the website.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m8:

Energy Suspension lists the 22mm but not the 28mm on the catalogs and sites I checked.

Just looked at the Energy Suspension site again:
28mm PN 9.5163 (greaseable set)
28mm PN 9.5130 (non-greasable set)

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Yes I measured and I have the 28mm bar and the worn rubber bushings are 28mm opening.
I will check Rodney Dickman - Fiero Store doesn't show them on the website.

Were you unable to use the part number I gave you from Summit Racing?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-5163G/

And the non-greasable ones.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-5130G/

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 12-01-2010).]

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Were you unable to use the part number I gave you from Summit Racing?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-5163G/

And the non-greasable ones.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-5130G/

Great thanks - the other link didn't work for me yesterday but I got it now.
Plus for you.
Fiero2m8

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The issue is no one sells poly bushings for the stock 88 front sway bar brackets (they are an odd shape). The ones everyone lists will come with their own bracket, but it does not fit the factory holes... and the greasable fitting will be right up against the frame rail making it useless.

I still have a brand new set of these in a box for these very reasons.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
The 88 sway bar is that different? The greaseable 22mm sway bar bushings fit fine on my Indy with the included bracket.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-01-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The 88 sway bar is that different? The greaseable 22mm sway bar bushings fit fine on my Indy with the included bracket.

The 88 front cradle is significantly different and the sway bar bracket bolts to it (not quite 180 degrees from the pre 88's) and are pushed up tight along the underside of the frame. The brackets are actually flat along the underside of the frame. Also, notice the portion of the cradle the bracket bolts to quickly bends and goes back to the center.. this does not leave much room for sliding the brackets down the cradle and redrilling the mounting points.

Here are a couple more pics of the stock front swaybar mounts:

The rear isn't as bad, but the brackets still do not fit the stock holes:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-01-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The 88 front cradle is significantly different and the sway bar bracket bolts to it (not quite 180 degrees from the pre 88's) and are pushed up tight along the underside of the frame.

The rear isn't as bad, but the brackets still do not fit the stock holes:

Never saw a 88 setup close up. Thank you for pointing out the differences so clearly.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the pics! I've not installed the bushing myself, but I've seen that part number frequently referenced.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Definately more things to consider as I suspected - going back to seeing if I can get poly to fit (or make fit) the stock 28mm bracket.
Thanks Guru.

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
If you get the 28mm bushing, you might be able to trim and shape the outside of it to fit inside the stock swaybar brackets... it would be a pain but would allow you to keep stock brackets with poly bushings.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
If you get the 28mm bushing, you might be able to trim and shape the outside of it to fit inside the stock swaybar brackets... it would be a pain but would allow you to keep stock brackets with poly bushings.
I still have a brand new set of these in a box for these very reasons.

Are you willing to sell me yours to experiment modifying to fit the 88 brackets?
If so are they red or black (and 28mm)
I'd be paying via PayPal (Summit won't take PayPal from a Canadian...)

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m8 (edited 12-04-2010).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've seen on other forums (mostly ricer forums) where they've used 3M Window-Weld Urethane Adhesive to make their own poly bushings. I've seen it used to fill motor mounts and worn rubber bushings. Might be possible to take the factory bracket and fill it with Urethane, then trim to fit. If you Google "3m window-weld mount" you'll find tons of forums trying it on various things. It comes in a tube to fit a caulk gun and is available at auto parts stores. I'm getting some to fix the rear window on my Trans Am. I know, crazy using a window product to fix a window, but I'll throw caution to the wind.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Are you willing to sell me yours to experiment modifying to fit the 88 brackets?
If so are they red or black (and 28mm)
I'd be paying via PayPal (Summit won't take PayPal from a Canadian...)

Ryan

I can't find the 28mm ones (moved 2 times since I put them on the shelf), but still have the rear 22mm set and no plans to use them.

The rear 22mm bushings are fairly close to the needed size, but are not quite wide enough for their flanges to clear the stock bracket. You could either cut the flanges off or modify the stock bracket to be slightly narrower. Once the width is correct, covering the bushing with some tape or wax paper, then coat the recessed portions of the bracket with JB weld, install the bushing and clamp down to a flat surface. This should allow the JB weld to fill all the voids in the stock bracket and ensure the bushing is properly supported. Once it is dry, then drill the center of the bushing to 28mm and install.

My plan is to make a 2 piece aluminum braket that will accept the stock cradle holes and sandwich the bar between the two halves. This will eliminate the chance for any flexing at the mounting points to the cradle.

If you want the 22mm ones, $20 shipped and they are yours. It would be cheaper to just send the poly bushing and not the steel bracket, but could send them either way.
Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Ok Guru, send me a PM and let me know how you make out with aluminum or if you stumble across the 28mm poly - I wouldn't need the metal brackets.
Ryan

------------------

Fiero2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post

Fiero2m8

1928 posts
Member since Feb 2006

I read online that I must buy 1" mounts and drill out to 1-1/8" ???

So I decided on and went this route.

Purchased the largest size bushing 25mm that comes in the small bracket size.
I will have to bore out to 28mm for my 1988 FIero Formula sway bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item588b5e7b33

http://www.energysuspension...ay-bar-bushings.html

I'll post in the newest project build thread how it turns out going this route.

Thanks for everyone's help

------------------

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay