Started on: 11-27-2010 06:05 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: jscott1 on 12-02-2010 07:36 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
So today i was on the phone with an insurance company about getting collectors car insurance for my IMSA. This is my 1st time having a car that is worth putting collectors insurance on What all do i have to watch out for with these types of policeys. i dont think mine has a cap to how many miles i can put on it in a year (which is going to be under 5000)

My insurance for the IMSA is going to come out to $150 per a year which includes a $10000 agreed upon value of the car should it become a total loss roadside assistance, towing, car show expenses etc. Can anyone give me any more insite into these kinds of policy's?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
grundy won't give me insurance until I'm 25, lol
I believe I was quoted at about 65 dollars annual
(with 3 traffic tickets) here is what they e-mailed me

Thank you for submitting your information to Grundy Worldwide's underwriting
department. Unfortunately, we are unable to insure operators under the age
of 25. We wish you the best in finding the appropriate coverage for this
vehicle.
We offer unlimited mileage for hobby/collector use which includes car shows, car club events, parades and pleasure driving. Our policy does not cover vehicles use for regular transportation, work, school, errands or backup. If you have any additional questions or concerns please let us know.
Thank You,
Grundy Worldwide

Quotes are for annual (12 month) coverage
Total (this vehicle)- $62.50
Quote Generated on Friday, October 15, 2010
ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROClick Here to Email ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
I looked into getting Grundy for my car. As soon as they said you cant drive it to work, to run arons, etc. etc. Basically there is no mileage restriction, but you can only drive it to go to shows and if you feel like going for a drive where your not going to stop anywhere. No Thank You!
Billyinpg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillyinpgClick Here to Email BillyinpgSend a Private Message to BillyinpgDirect Link to This Post
I've looked into it here in Canada and it's pretty much the same.

Agreed value
No driving other than "pleasure"
Etc.

The big one.................

Car must be stock, no mods, not even an aftermarket radio.

Cheap restrictive insurance IMHO. Don't think it's for me.

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
Try Hagerty Collector Car insurance. Corey can drive up to 15000 miles a year with no issues but you must keep it in a garage year round. The Value for his is 12000 and his is listed a modified. I did not go with Grundy due to many horror stories from guys that have had it. Hope this helps

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I wish I had a garage, its the only thing stopping me from having collectors insurance . Otherwise I need to wait till my 87 GT gets past 2012 to be 25yrs old and be eligible for historic plates in NYS.
wirthy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wirthySend a Private Message to wirthyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICCAMDFIERO:

I looked into getting Grundy for my car. As soon as they said you cant drive it to work, to run arons, etc. etc. Basically there is no mileage restriction, but you can only drive it to go to shows and if you feel like going for a drive where your not going to stop anywhere. No Thank You!

I got Grundy. My Fiero isn't my daily driver but, when I do drive it, I will often run errands and make stops; I've even driven it to work a few times. The way I see it, if I got in an accident, how would Grundy know I wasn't just out for a joyride?
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatClick Here to Email topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I thought you already had Hagerty on the IMSA

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I have hagerty on my non running IMSA, I have it just incase the tree on my property decides to fall on it or in case some punk kid in my neighborhood decides to get a hold of a key and hate on it. I'v never had a problem with hagerty but than again my car dosent move under its own power yet so not much can happen to it.

ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROClick Here to Email ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIERODirect Link to This Post
I guess that is true. I'd just like to no that no matter what if anything happens, theres not going to be restrictions that mite screw me over. Like somone backing into my car or getting hit by a shopping cart. I just dont want to have to worry about anything.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wirthy:

I got Grundy. My Fiero isn't my daily driver but, when I do drive it, I will often run errands and make stops; I've even driven it to work a few times. The way I see it, if I got in an accident, how would Grundy know I wasn't just out for a joyride?

Hopefully you don't get into an accident, and some one points them to this quote you openly made on the internet.

Kevin

wirthy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wirthySend a Private Message to wirthyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Hopefully you don't get into an accident, and some one points them to this quote you openly made on the internet.

Kevin

Good point! But I don't foresee a situation where I am in an accident and the police or my insurance agent connect me to a posting on the Fiero forum. However, now I guess I'm just asking for it
PFF
System Bot
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
Check out American Collectors Insurance. They have various levels of miles per year, agreed upon value and other services you can pick and choose from. Web site: www.AmericanCollectors.com Lots of info there and an 800 number to call. I've had them for a few years and they have yet to disappoint me.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I have American Collectors $450/year for three Fieros. Cars need to be garaged and photos sent showing the cars and modifications. Agreed value..$10-15K per car. I'm not sure how "good" the policy is because I've not filed any claims.

The only claim I've filed on any car is for windshields that have cracked..that is after 45 years of driving..
rchofey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rchofeyClick Here to Email rchofeySend a Private Message to rchofeyDirect Link to This Post
I have JC Taylor and so far did not have to use it.
My brother just had to use them ( JC Taylor) and they were great to deal with after a hit and run driver totaled his classic Mercedes. He had a check for the agreed value, towing, and police report in under a week. It is good to hear good things about an insurance company.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

So today i was on the phone with an insurance company about getting collectors car insurance for my IMSA. This is my 1st time having a car that is worth putting collectors insurance on What all do i have to watch out for with these types of policeys. i dont think mine has a cap to how many miles i can put on it in a year (which is going to be under 5000)

My insurance for the IMSA is going to come out to $150 per a year which includes a $10000 agreed upon value of the car should it become a total loss roadside assistance, towing, car show expenses etc. Can anyone give me any more insite into these kinds of policy's?

The rules for this kind of insurance are very clear, so you have to make sure you abide by these otherwise they will reject a claim if the situation arises and it shows you were not in compliance.

1 - You MUST have a garage, and the car MUST be parked in the garage at night when the car is not otherwise at a show.

2 - You MUST have a daily driver with full coverage, etc.

3 - You MUST not drive your car to work except on rare occasions.

4 - You MUST not put more miles on it than what was originally agreed upon.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The rules vary with company. My coverage dont require a garage or even a cover. I pay $68 @ year for $25K full coverage Agreed Value. I have to have another car insured at regular rate with them. I did have to supply pics of outside 4 sides, engine and interior. I have State Farm. All the rules from Grundy, Hagarty, etc made me run away from them.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

Good point! But I don't foresee a situation where I am in an accident and the police or my insurance agent connect me to a posting on the Fiero forum. However, now I guess I'm just asking for it

you might want to "scrub" your timecard at work......or the accident scene. with all the blood and grocries covering the parking lot
ohhhh the humanity!!!! beware of the police report. you will narc on yourself. its hard to lie with witnesses. i have yet to try for i have 0 accidents in over 24 years of driving like a punk kid.....*knock on wood* its worked for me so far

Daniel

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 11-29-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I actuley just set up a deal with an insurance company called Conden & skelly. There out of NJ and seem like a great bunch of people.

1. $50 for the year full covrage

2. no mileage restrictions

3. not so much a great agreed upon value but they said to get an appraisal and they will up the agreed upon value

4. Will insure a driver under 25.
stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinClick Here to Email stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinDirect Link to This Post
I went with Hagerty based of how I use the Fiero, agreed upon value plus input from my INDEPENDENT insurance agent. She has access to most if not all Insurance companies. Her recommendation for Hagerty’s had to do with her experience with the ease of the clam service. Hagerty’s was not the least expensive; it was far from the most expensive.

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
One thing I really like about my policy (American Hobbyist, I think) is it includes coverage for spare parts that many of us carry around. Not sure if this is standard with other insurers. The parts loss coverage is only maybe $500. It is stated value and I am supposed to keep it garaged and maximim of 5k miles per year.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

One thing I really like about my policy (American Hobbyist, I think) is it includes coverage for spare parts that many of us carry around. Not sure if this is standard with other insurers. The parts loss coverage is only maybe $500. It is stated value and I am supposed to keep it garaged and maximim of 5k miles per year.

I just dont like the milage restrictions. If there were restrictions on mine me going to the tylers toy show in the summer is going to be the majority of thoes 5K miles a year. with mine there is no restrictions i just cant be using the car as a daily driver.
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
this is interesting....see i do not drive my Mera if there is even a hint of rain....so i wonder if this would disqualify me as a "daily driver"? it rains a little more than average this close to the big lake MI. and there are a lot of dissapointing days all cloudy and dark

see the Meras do not have the dew wipes up on the new panels that are a little higher than the Fiero. the way i see it, it would be a place where the rain would get between the panel and my inner door. so i do not drive with a 30% chance of precip. and above.

seems logical

as for you desert dewllers you are on your own

Daniel
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICCAMDFIERO:

What's your alternative? If you have anything other than a beater Fiero you need an Agreed Value policy from someone. Insurance varies greatly by area, but in Texas Grundy is the only company offering Agreed Value coverage.

With Agreed Value if the car is a total loss, you will get the value agreed to in advance, no questions asked.

Regular insurance is Actual Cash Value which means blue book which for a Fiero is nearly nothing. You might be able to sue them and show receipts and do a little better, but that is a hassle. Worse if someone hits you and you have to fight with THEIR insurance company.

Stated Value is completely worthless. That is just Actual Cash Value with a LIMIT on how much the insurance will pay. Why anyone would want that is beyond my comprehension.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have my GT insured with Grundy. Here is an email from them I received regarding usage. It works for me.

Our usage restrictions are: you cannot drive the collector vehicles as a primary vehicle - no errands, work (maybe once in a while on a nice day to show off, or if you are going to a car show afterwards), using it as back up, racing it or any time of off-road use. However, pleasure drives (cruising around on a nice day, taking it out to eat, visiting a friend...etc), car shows and car club events are perfectly acceptable. There are no mileage restrictions.

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

With Agreed Value if the car is a total loss, you will get the value agreed to in advance, no questions asked.

Stated Value ... is just Actual Cash Value with a LIMIT on how much the insurance will pay. Why anyone would want that is beyond my comprehension.

Correct!!! It's an important distinction that most people buying insurance don't understand.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Just signed up with conden & skelly insurance today. we have an agreed upon value of $5000 but i have the option of getting an aprisial done through a shop or somthing for the IMSA pannels and get the value for what they are as well. They seem like a great bunch of people for insurance.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageClick Here to Email WingNut - MDSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I have had Grundy on my 85 GT since 2003. In the first year I had to make a claim due to a bone headed mechanic lifting my car wrong on a hoist and crusing my rockers. Grundy insisted that all new NOS parts be used on the car. They ended up paying out over $800 for the repairs. The largest expense was the drivers side rocker which cost $350 shipped out of Canada. They wrote the check.

In conclusion, I have paid in $125 a year ($875 in total over the last 7 years) and have had them fix my car for $800. I would highly receommend using them, if you can abide by thier restrictions. They are there for a reason. If you drive your car everyday to work, then you are more at risk of an accident, and hence you will not be able to have collectors insurance on your car. That is what makes the policy so affordable.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I use State Farm. The reason is that I am not driving a real exotic and I get multi-line discount. This means I get a bigger discount on my new Malibu and my house because I have the Fiero. Go fig.......

Basically, if I add in what I save on the house and the Malibu I am paying very little for the Fiero

Arn
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I use State Farm. The reason is that I am not driving a real exotic and I get multi-line discount. This means I get a bigger discount on my new Malibu and my house because I have the Fiero. Go fig.......

Basically, if I add in what I save on the house and the Malibu I am paying very little for the Fiero

Arn

Dont get me started on insurance... I used to get a home car discount before Allstate decided they didn't want to offer windstorm anymore in the Houston area forcing me into the Insurance of last resort from the state. Now I pay triple what I used to pay with no discounts in sight.

Which is why I have Grundy on two Fieros.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Grundy lost me when they specificly said I COULD NOT drive the car on a dinner date. Whats the point of having a cool car if you cant show it off to a date.
' Hi Tiffany, I really have 2 Corvettes, but I chose to drive my rusty Astro to the expensive valet restaurant with you '

My State Farm policy also covers spare parts on my property up to $1,000. It also gives me free road service and a tow up to 100 miles to someone that can service the car. I can use that up to twice a year.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Grundy lost me when they specificly said I COULD NOT drive the car on a dinner date.

That sounds like a different Grundy from the one I have. I can drive unlimited as long as it's for pleasure...and taking out a dinner date certainly would be considered pleasure.

and when I called State Farm asking about an Agreed Value policy there was no such thing (in Texas)

As to whether or not I would trust a valet with my car is another story.
PFF
System Bot
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Michigan Millers $560 / 6mo.
Grundy $230/yr.
Pretty easy decission for or fun car. Great driving records, no claims, garaged, non smoking and all the other stuff.
Grundy here.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That sounds like a different Grundy from the one I have. I can drive unlimited as long as it's for pleasure...and taking out a dinner date certainly would be considered pleasure.

and when I called State Farm asking about an Agreed Value policy there was no such thing (in Texas)

As to whether or not I would trust a valet with my car is another story.

That was a number of years ago so they may have changed it. My policy is I drive all my cars where and when I want, so if insurance co dont agree they dont get any business from me. Mine was a specific question to the agent. They also told me 'pleasure' driving was considered to be like to a car show, parade or car event like a group trip, caravan and such. The only exception they said they had was driving the car somewhere to be serviced.

I heard that about State Farm. I guess it varies by state and even municipality as to what coverage is available. Its also possible they dont write that type anymore and Im just grandfathered into it. I have unlimited internet with my Verizon card for my laptop. They now dont offer that anymore at all, but as long as I keep it active, I still get it. I ran into that last time I picked up my free upgrade card. Salesman told me I could not have unlimited internet, and called over the manager who confirmed I still could have it even though they dont sell a plan with that anymore.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-02-2010).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

That was a number of years ago so they may have changed it. My policy is I drive all my cars where and when I want, so if insurance co dont agree they dont get any business from me....

I hear you and I understand your concern...but honestly driving my Fiero to work in Houston rush hour traffic is the last thing on Earth I want to do. I have a close call nearly every single day. My Fiero has hundreds of hours and several thousands of dollars of custom body work and would be difficult to replicate. If it were wrecked I would probably cash out and just buy a vette with the check.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock